• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Suggestions for 'Kid Friendly Server'

children friendly server

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

Poll: Kid Friendly Server (16 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you think this server will be successful?

1. No, there will be too many little kids whining (1 votes [5.88%])

Percentage of vote: 5.88%

2. No, you wont get enough members (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. No, I hate children (3 votes [17.65%])

Percentage of vote: 17.65%

4. Yes, seems like a great idea. I'll give you my 2 cents worth in the comments (11 votes [64.71%])

Percentage of vote: 64.71%

5. Yes, but I doubt you can pull it off (2 votes [11.76%])

Percentage of vote: 11.76%

Vote Guests cannot vote

bostonian

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:07 AM

Kind of recently I've been seeing an increase in the number of posts from parents with complaints about multiplayer content.  Things like excessive swearing, little kids being banned from servers they liked most, accidentally dropping a stack of diamonds in lava, etc.  The point is I've yet to see anyone create a public server with the goal to be  kid friendly.  

What made me decide to actually go this far is three little cousins of mine (all under age 9) have started playing minecraft and want to play multiplayer.  On my server swearing isn't really a problem but it happens and nobody cares.  However, I wouldnt want my 7 year old cousin to be playing games where people are talking like that.

Ideas
- Anti swear. Not just make swearing against rules but bleep it out. I build a client mod for this last year (it's out dated now)
- 2 worlds;
≈Friendly World, no monsters, no PvP, day time SMP. Maybe towny or some other group land protection plugin (no factions). Maybe everyone has god mode, and lava is off?
  ≈Plotme World, for building without grief
- Lava doesnt destroy items or burn players
- Lots of kits
- If pvp, you dont lose items or XP on death
- A system to make is virtually impossible to brake any rule or be unfriendly, no perm banning
- Paid mature Moderation, ambitious

Parts started
- Already started anti-swear plugin. I believe there might already be one of these but I'd like it to be specific and custom made. Finished anti-swear plugin, will be updated for 1.5
- Lava wouldn't be too hard. If anyone wants to try this part, that would be cool.

Suggestions
need some help with this part Posted Image
I'm not looking for links to plugins for my ideas, I want to know what the community thinks of this.

If you want to become a part of this project PM me. In the coming weeks I will also more a 'looking for' post for staff

Thanks for reading!

EDIT: made a thread for the server: http://www.minecraft.../#entry21356920

I'm from Boston

Register or log in to remove.

kyle_will_eat_u
  • Minecraft: Kyle_will_eat_u

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:14 AM

Hi sounds like a grate idea but with kids you do really need a dedicated admin team acting like parents because they are kids and kids will do what kids to fight steal and cause trouble. When it comes to some of them losing items they might get upset. I'm here to help if you want to achieve this idea.

Posted Image

bostonian

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:25 AM

View Postkyle_will_eat_u, on 30 January 2013 - 02:14 AM, said:

Hi sounds like a grate idea but with kids you do really need a dedicated admin team acting like parents because they are kids and kids will do what kids to fight steal and cause trouble. When it comes to some of them losing items they might get upset. I'm here to help if you want to achieve this idea.
Great, I will call on you when the time comes. It's going to be a few weeks to get everything together but I really want to make it happen

I'm from Boston

kyle_will_eat_u
  • Minecraft: Kyle_will_eat_u

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:28 AM

Sounds good but I believe friendly admins that know how to diffuse difficult situations is the key.

Could be wrong.

Posted Image

Ghositex
    Ghositex

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:44 AM

Sounds like a good idea. I don't think you should disable monsters everywhere, though. If everyone had god mode enabled, I don't think it would be a problem. Monsters were one of my favorite things in minecraft when I was a newbie.

bostonian

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:50 AM

Ok This is starting up now. If you want to get involved PM me!

I'm from Boston

Saydin
    Saydin

Support Guru

• Members
  • 1182 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 02:22 AM

I wouldn't mind being involved in said project, although I wouldn't rely on me to be much help. Just a question:

What is the age range in which you are targeting?

Posted Image

bostonian

Posted 11 March 2013 - 02:37 AM

View PostSaydin, on 11 March 2013 - 02:22 AM, said:

I wouldn't mind being involved in said project, although I wouldn't rely on me to be much help. Just a question:

What is the age range in which you are targeting?
the youngest players to about 12 for say? I would call it 7+

I'm from Boston

boompoe
    boompoe

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 04:31 AM

I could help, if you still need people.
If you would like help, feel free to ask I will help you to the best of my ability.

Survivzor

Posted 11 March 2013 - 06:24 AM

As far as swearing goes, herochat (and others im sure) already implement a fully regex compatible filter- just need to spend many many hours with the most foul-mouthed 7-12 y/o you can find to fill it out rather than writing a plugin from scratch.

Good to see the professional childcare being considered right from the start :)  That, i feel would be the most wearing aspect on the admin team.

The most common issue i foresee would be them wanting to play together in their own regions - until one person goes against the flow of the rest and re-appropriates resources or unilaterally decides to redecorate everything in a "trés gauche" manner. Then its on for young and old. (or young and young as the case would be here)

Hey if you can make it completely childproof - hats off to you. I'm just reminded of that old adage though..

To paraphrase Douglas Adams "..a common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely (child)proof is to underestimate the ingenuity of (children).."

View Postrch, on 24 March 2011 - 07:04 PM, said:

I use my shoe temporary Minecraft window sponge.

Mordikins

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:21 AM

If your target audience is children, who's going to be making the donations that keep your server afloat?

Survivzor

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:27 AM

Their parents of course lol - as far as daycare goes, $50 a month is an absolute bargain :D

View Postrch, on 24 March 2011 - 07:04 PM, said:

I use my shoe temporary Minecraft window sponge.

Mordikins

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:33 AM

View PostSurvivzor, on 11 March 2013 - 07:27 AM, said:

Their parents of course lol - as far as daycare goes, $50 a month is an absolute bargain Posted Image
Good luck. :)

Rawsome2is
  • Minecraft: Rawsome2is

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:24 PM

Great idea! Get a good staff established who can handle any problems (which due to kids it can be alot) If you need a mod I can be a person of interest *wink*Wink*
Posted Image

DemonMC
    DemonMC

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • Minecraft: cybertron742

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:35 PM

View Postbostonian, on 30 January 2013 - 02:07 AM, said:

Kind of recently I've been seeing an increase in the number of posts from parents with complaints about multiplayer content.  Things like excessive swearing, little kids being banned from servers they liked most, accidentally dropping a stack of diamonds in lava, etc.  The point is I've yet to see anyone create a public server with the goal to be  kid friendly.  

What made me decide to actually go this far is three little cousins of mine (all under age 9) have started playing minecraft and want to play multiplayer.  On my server swearing isn't really a problem but it happens and nobody cares.  However, I wouldnt want my 7 year old cousin to be playing games where people are talking like that.

Ideas
- Anti swear. Not just make swearing against rules but bleep it out. I build a client mod for this last year (it's out dated now)
- 2 worlds;
≈Friendly World, no monsters, no PvP, day time SMP. Maybe towny or some other group land protection plugin (no factions). Maybe everyone has god mode, and lava is off?
  ≈Plotme World, for building without grief
- Lava doesnt destroy items or burn players
- Lots of kits
- If pvp, you dont lose items or XP on death
- A system to make is virtually impossible to brake any rule or be unfriendly, no perm banning
- Paid mature Moderation, ambitious

Parts started
- Already started anti-swear plugin. I believe there might already be one of these but I'd like it to be specific and custom made.
- Lava wouldn't be too hard. If anyone wants to try this part, that would be cool.

Suggestions
need some help with this part Posted Image
I'm not looking for links to plugins for my ideas, I want to know what the community thinks of this.

If you want to become a part of this project PM me. In the coming weeks I will also more a 'looking for' post for staff

Thanks for reading!

EDIT: made a thread for the server: http://www.minecraft.../#entry21356920
Good ideas but don't use towny because kids find it too complex to use

bostonian

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:39 PM

View PostMordikins, on 11 March 2013 - 07:21 AM, said:

If your target audience is children, who's going to be making the donations that keep your server afloat?
I'm a very experienced server owner. You dont even know. One general rule of thumb when opening a server is not to rely on donations.

View PostSurvivzor, on 11 March 2013 - 06:24 AM, said:

As far as swearing goes, herochat (and others im sure) already implement a fully regex compatible filter- just need to spend many many hours with the most foul-mouthed 7-12 y/o you can find to fill it out rather than writing a plugin from scratch.

Good to see the professional childcare being considered right from the start Posted Image  That, i feel would be the most wearing aspect on the admin team.

The most common issue i foresee would be them wanting to play together in their own regions - until one person goes against the flow of the rest and re-appropriates resources or unilaterally decides to redecorate everything in a "trés gauche" manner. Then its on for young and old. (or young and young as the case would be here)

Hey if you can make it completely childproof - hats off to you. I'm just reminded of that old adage though..

To paraphrase Douglas Adams "..a common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely (child)proof is to underestimate the ingenuity of (children).."
I've already made an anti swear plugin, just a simple listener program.

Thanks everyone so far for your suggestions! keep 'em coming!

I'm from Boston

LegndPowerdNube

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:08 AM

Well, for land protection, who is doing the protecting? Admins/Mods or is it Self Service?
Want a faster reply?
Quote Me!

swatforest
    swatforest

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1043 posts
  • Minecraft: swatforest
  • Xbox:swatforest

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:23 AM

Thank you my good sir. I have been working with my Boy Scout Troop and Cub Scout Pack to form some type of reward/punishment system using a minecraft server. This is very insightful and very helpful for my idea. Would you mind if i were to use your ideas on the server?
Meh, your average signature. :\ +1 me now for my mediocre signature now.

bostonian

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:28 AM

View Postswatforest, on 13 March 2013 - 12:23 AM, said:

Thank you my good sir. I have been working with my Boy Scout Troop and Cub Scout Pack to form some type of reward/punishment system using a minecraft server. This is very insightful and very helpful for my idea. Would you mind if i were to use your ideas on the server?
No problem. If you already have a server thats fine, let me know how it goes. If you would be interested in helping staff this one send me a PM

I'm from Boston

Rilesthegiles
  • Minecraft: Rilesthegiles
  • Xbox:Opop12345678

Posted 13 March 2013 - 01:36 AM

You'll always have the problem of mature (or immature) older individuals on the server saying rude items, and you cannot prevent it.

Here's a chat I had recently from a parent whos kid played on my 'kid-friendly' server:

Posted Image

Honestly this server will most likely not turn out to be 100% kid friendly, and no one can really prevent it.

Posted Image
-------------------------- Owner of Runecraft.us--------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------------------