• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Shall I get a raspberry pi? Where from?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Poll: Shall i get a Raspberry Pi? (16 member(s) have cast votes)

Shall i get a raspberry pi?

1. Yes (12 votes [75.00%])

Percentage of vote: 75.00%

2. No (4 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

whosMIX
    whosMIX

Iron Miner

• Members
  • 253 posts
  • Minecraft: iReMiX3D
  • Xbox:Lyqo

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:30 PM

I want to get a raspberry pi to code Minecraft Pi

If I did get one where should I get it from? I want it to come as fast as possible, i heard the Pi Takes 3months+ to come? thats lame... I live in UK, thanks
Posted Image

Register or log in to remove.

NotchOhCheese

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:28 AM

What exactly is this? Is it a computer?
Posted Image

GambitGamer
  • Minecraft: GambitGamer
  • Xbox:GambotGamer

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:47 AM

View PostwhosMIX, on 29 January 2013 - 02:30 PM, said:

I want to get a raspberry pi to code Minecraft Pi

If I did get one where should I get it from? I want it to come as fast as possible, i heard the Pi Takes 3months+ to come? thats lame... I live in UK, thanks
These guys are the official retailers(I think) so it's $35(maybe not the reason): http://www.newark.co...COM=raspi-group

Amazon sells it for $60

Posted Image

Want your creation featured in a new Hunger Games server? Click here!

Des_Tiny

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:36 AM

There are two main distributors in the UK: RS and Farnell. RS is a couple of pounds cheaper, but used to have terrible delivery times. I believe they've improved a lot now, but Farnell is still a good safe bet and has been delivering within a week for months now. (Farnell also make most of their Pis in the UK.)

Maplin also sell kits including lots of extra parts for about £70, which may be of interest to you.

MartinObviously
  • Minecraft: martinobviously

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:26 PM

View PostDes_Tiny, on 30 January 2013 - 09:36 AM, said:

There are two main distributors in the UK: RS and Farnell. RS is a couple of pounds cheaper, but used to have terrible delivery times. I believe they've improved a lot now, but Farnell is still a good safe bet and has been delivering within a week for months now. (Farnell also make most of their Pis in the UK.)

Maplin also sell kits including lots of extra parts for about £70, which may be of interest to you.

RS took a whopping 18 weeks to deliver mine! I received it at the end of September 2012. I heard they've fixed delivery times too.

The maplin kit is good, but you can also buy the accessories such as power supply from RS and Farnell last time I checked :), USB power doesn't cut the mustard. Or you can make your own wiring.

If I ever buy another one, it'll be from Farnell.

I believe the Pi still has some issues with programmers not being able to use the full graphics potential as BroadCom haven't allowed GPU acceleration. Once that's done I believe things will turn epic. :D (unless things have changed, I haven't been on the rpi forum for a few weeks)
Woohoo Minecraft!

Lord_Time_Crafter
  • Minecraft: The_Time_Crafter
  • Xbox:N/A

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:01 AM

View PostNotchOhCheese, on 30 January 2013 - 12:28 AM, said:

What exactly is this? Is it a computer?
It is a smartphone.
Posted Image

Liamfromoz
  • Minecraft: liamfromoz
  • Xbox:Liam from oz

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:03 AM

Get it, your choice.

collguy555

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:05 AM

View PostLord_Time_Crafter, on 06 February 2013 - 05:01 AM, said:

It is a smartphone.
It's a computer
Posted Image

Des_Tiny

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:09 AM

View PostMartinObviously, on 05 February 2013 - 04:26 PM, said:

I believe the Pi still has some issues with programmers not being able to use the full graphics potential as BroadCom haven't allowed GPU acceleration. Once that's done I believe things will turn epic. Posted Image (unless things have changed, I haven't been on the rpi forum for a few weeks)

The full graphics potential has always been available - I spent a while trying to accelerate the desktop before the Pi was released, but didn't get very far. The problem is that user interfaces are usually large and complicated pieces of code, and it's a lot of work to understand them and get things working properly. There are currently a number of people working on using the graphics processor to accelerate the desktop, so hopefully there'll be progress soon.

Lord_Time_Crafter
  • Minecraft: The_Time_Crafter
  • Xbox:N/A

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:54 AM

View Postcollguy555, on 06 February 2013 - 07:05 AM, said:

It's a computer
I feel stupid now.
Posted Image

MartinObviously
  • Minecraft: martinobviously

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:53 PM

View PostDes_Tiny, on 06 February 2013 - 09:09 AM, said:

The full graphics potential has always been available - I spent a while trying to accelerate the desktop before the Pi was released, but didn't get very far. The problem is that user interfaces are usually large and complicated pieces of code, and it's a lot of work to understand them and get things working properly. There are currently a number of people working on using the graphics processor to accelerate the desktop, so hopefully there'll be progress soon.

:D Thanks, I'll remember that, I wasn't far off heh :P I haven't tried anything complex on my Pi yet.
Woohoo Minecraft!