[1.7.2] Survivalist Mod 1.4-a in development

forge new survival hard challenging thirst temperature health death smp

• Please log in to reply
594 replies to this topic

MadeBySix

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:14 PM

Posted Image

Survivalist Mod Alpha v1.4-a
We have moved. You can visit our website at www.sharploris.com. There will be a wiki available soon.

READ THIS

Be sure to stop by our stream where we will be playing and talking about the mod so far. 12 February 2014 at 9pm GMT over at http://twitch.tv/snoogle13

Tell me about the mod quickly!

The Survivalist mod is a fairly self explanatory one. It is a mod that aims to shift the focus of Minecrafts survival mode from simple resource collection and construction to in-depth survival in the vein of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and DayZ. You will need to find water, cook food and collect resources to craft medical supplies. All the while, keeping an eye on your body temperature and trying not to die. You will need to keep your wits about you to survive in the harsh world of the Survivalist mod.

Ours is different than other mods. Everything is real. Your inventory space is limited, you can only carry so much weight. You can make backpacks to carry more stuff and more weight. Get horses to carry your stuff for you, or have them pull a cart. There are many factors, and they are all affected by one another.

Please take a second to read the full overview and planned features list of our mod for more information, and if you like our ideas, don't forget to press this button ----> Posted Image
<---- Just click that.

We're now on Planet Minecraft too!

Please keep in mind that this is an Alpha, and is in very early development. We are just trying to produce an enjoyable experience for as many people as possible in our spare time, and will respond to any suggestions or requests. All we ask is that you are considerate of both the early stage we are at and the limited time we may have available. Thanks!

We are currently working on version 1.4-a of the Survivalist Mod for v1.7.2. This will be a bare bones rewrite of the mod for 1.7.2, but it will be completely functional and playable, and far more stable than anything we've produced in the past.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image  

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Featured Video

English
Spoiler:

em português
Spoiler:

русский
Spoiler:

Posted Image

The Team
Dan - Project lead / Programmer /Brainstormatron
Thomas - Programmer / Placeholder Art
Jess - Artist

Special Contributors
OmniTitan (Hollowbrown) - For his constant support and dedication to server hosting
Horned19 - For a whole lot of very good ideas and suggestions
MAXIMUSSPRIME - For being helpful and contributing to the Wiki

If you suggested an idea that we decided to use, or have contributed significantly, your name will be added here (unless you request otherwise). If your name is not here yet and it should be, it will be added soon, don't worry.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The survivalist mod is a mod that intends to maintain the essence of the Vanilla Minecraft survival experience, whilst expanding on it in a way that fits in with the existing themes. The mod intends to shift the focus of gameplay towards a more challenging survival experience, going further towards achieving the 'stranded on a desert island' feel that is missing from Minecraft. Building will remain as important as it currently is, because building a castle will definitely make you a lot safer from what's out there, but you will need to put your survival above all else! You will need to build your settlement in an agreeable climate, near a water source, and stay alive.

This mod was born out of what we feel is necessity, as Minecraft's 'survival' mode barely feels like anything more than a slightly more in-depth creative mode. We started brainstorming the kind of things that real life survival would involve, both in terms of new features and modifications of existing ones, as well as considering what existing aspects of survival made the game too easy (i.e, being able to easily acquire large stockpiles of meat, an incredibly effective food source). Our hope is to encourage more crop cultivation and strategy, by causing meat to rot in high temperatures. This means that to survive, you will need to think about everything that real life settlements would have to. You could even have an offsite facility somewhere cold where you store your meat! These things and more are planned for your survival experience.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The old screenshots were no longer applicable. New ones will be available soon!

Posted Image

Posted Image

If you have other mods or a previous version of this mod already installed, you may need to use a fresh Minecraft.jar

Alpha v1.3 Release Build

1. Download Survivalist Alpha 1.3 Release Build

2. Download Forge Installer 1.6.2 from here.

3. Run the Forge Installer and install it to your client.

4. Open your start menu and type "%appdata%" then press Enter. Go into "Roaming\.minecraft\mods"

5. Put the Survivalist Mod zip in that folder.

6. Run the Minecraft Launcher and launch the "Forge" profile.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Alpha v1.3 Release Build

General
  • Configuration File
  • New Error Reference System
Health
  • Health regeneration disabled
  • Craftable medical supplies added
Thirst
  • You can get thirsty
  • Craftable water bottles
  • Thirst is affected by body temperature
Weight
  • Inventory weight
  • Inventory weight affects player movement speed
  • Craftable backpacks
Body Temperature
  • You have body temperature
  • Body temperature changes based on biome
  • Being in water causes body temperature to drop
  • Sprinting raises body temperature
  • You will die if you get too hot or too cold
  • Lower your body temperature by drinking
  • Craftable heat packs to raise body temperature
Temperature
  • Biomes have different temperatures
  • Night and day time affects the temperature
  • Temperature display on right hand side of screen
Food (Old food hasn't been removed and is still accessible though creative mode)
  • Meat will now decay and become rotten meat
Posted Image

Posted Image

Transport
  • We plan to add horsedrawn carts using a modular storage system (I will be posting a blog outlining this system in detail, since it's hard to explain in note form)
  • We also plan to add large ships that use the same modular system as the boats.
Body Temperature
  • Mining and other physical activity raising body temp.
Temperature
We plan to overhaul temperature completely. It will use a number of factors, including proximity to certain blocks, light levels, whether or not there is sky above the player, altitude, etc.. to determine when players are in higher temperatures, when they are underground, when they are inside, when it is night time and day time and make temperatures fluctuate far more based on the situation.
  • Underground temp. being independent of overground
  • Underground temp. gets warmer further down
  • Meat/Fish decays in warmer temperatures, can be kept in freezing temperatures to store
  • Seasons (Winter, Spring, Summer, Autumn) affect ambient temp.
  • Water temp changes depending on biome
Thirst
  • Drinking from potion bottles and milk should have an affect on thirst
  • Drinking directly from water sources such as ponds and ocean, with debuffs in areas of low quality water
  • Water towers, water barrels and water filtration
New Items
  • Insulative clothing for keeping warm in low temperatures (No armour value, unbreakable)
  • Heat protective clothing for keeping cool in high temperatures (No armour value, unbreakable)
  • Insulative and heat protective armour variants (Armour value, breakable)
  • Wet suits for maintaining body temp. when in water
  • Possibly oxygen tanks for breathing longer under water
  • Oven for cooking food, furnace no longer works
  • Chest freezer (endgame item for indefinite storage of Meat/Fish)
  • Chest freezer will be like a cross between a chest and a furnace, using snow blocks as fuel. Player will be able to stack a currently undetermined number of snow blocks in the fuel section of the freezer at any one time, and one snow block will last for a fairly significant period of time.
  • Lunch box item for storing multiple meat items in one inventory slot
  • New water storage options for carrying more water with you in one slot
  • Possible addition of new weapons
Strength
  • Player can get stronger (will be more detailed soon)
  • Strength affects ahow much player can carry
  • Strength affects player movement speed when pulling smaller carts
  • Strength possibly affecting players attack strength
Stamina
  • Stamina is a possibility at this time, not necessarily a definite feature. We need to think about it some more.
  • Stamina could increase how long player can sprint
  • Players would be able to increase their stamina
  • Stamina could increase how long a player can breathe underwater (Thanks to AkulaMak)
Weight
  • When inventory weight exceeds a certain amount, ice may break (Player fitness will also have an effect on this
Medical
  • Hospitals in large villages
  • Injury and disease system
  • System for the diagnosis and treatment of various ailments
  • Players may be unable to identify an illness at first, and may need to experiment or learn to do so. They will then be able to recognise it in the future.
  • If a player finds a hospital, they will be able to receive treatment for their injuries there instead.
​Food
  • Possible stale bread
  • Berry bushes for foraging food
  • Different fruits available for growing and picking
Posted Image

Posted Image

Note: If you are using the new Minecraft Launcher, follow these instructions before following the instructions below.

Modloader
1. Download the Survivalist mod from one of the downloads below.
2. Download Risugami's ModLoader 1.4.7 from here.
3. Follow the installation instructions on the ModLoader thread to install ModLoader.
4. Extract everything from the 'Survivalist Mod vX.X' folder in the mod ZIP into your Minecraft.jar the same way you did for ModLoader.
5. Make sure the META-INF folder in your Minecraft.jar is deleted.

Version 0.3 - Minecraft 1.4.7
Version 0.5 - Minecraft 1.4.7
Version 0.6 - Minecraft 1.4.7
Version 0.6.5 - Minecraft 1.4.7

Forge
1. Download the Survivalist mod from one of the downloads below.
2. Download Forge Universal for the corresponding version of Minecraft from here from here.
3. Go to "Users\yournamehere\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\bin" and open your Minecraft.jar with WinRAR or similar software.
4. Drag every file and folder from inside of your Forge zip into your Minecraft.jar
5. Extract everything from the Survivalist Mod zip into your Minecraft.jar the same way you did for Forge.
6. Make sure the META-INF folder in your Minecraft.jar is deleted.

Version 0.7 - Minecraft 1.4.7
Version 0.8
Version 0.8.1
Version 0.8.2
Version 0.9 - Minecraft 1.5.1

Version 1.0 Pre - Minecraft 1.5.2
Version 1.1 Pre - Minecraft 1.5.2
Version 1.2 Pre - Minecraft 1.5.2

Posted Image

Posted Image

In this section we have banners that you can use to link to our page in your signature (if you really want to, we're not forcing anyone! We will be adding more soon, sorry about the pathetic selection right now.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Like our work? Any help you can give us is greatly appreciated:

Donate to our paypal (when it's set up!)

Please keep in mind that any money donated is voluntary and contributes to the continued development of the mod.

Posted Image
[anchor=end]

Quick Legal Note:

The Survivalist Mod is property of Sharp Loris Games - © Copyright 2014 Sharp Loris

Check out our Survivalist Mod! It's an overhaul of Vanilla survival. You know you want to.
Posted Image

Register or log in to remove.

dragoman1999

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:32 PM

when will this one be out seems realy cool

MadeBySix

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:23 PM

View Postdragoman1999, on 28 January 2013 - 10:32 PM, said:

when will this one be out seems realy cool

Once we get a way to increase your thirst and increase/decrease fitness levels, we will release the first alpha.

I'll get you some screenshots tonight.

-Thomas (coder)

Check out our Survivalist Mod! It's an overhaul of Vanilla survival. You know you want to.
Posted Image

Rosa_013

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:53 PM

This sounds really cool. A year ago, more or less, there was a mod like this, but I believe it died away. I hope this takes off

-Rosa

MadeBySix

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:12 PM

View PostRosa_013, on 29 January 2013 - 04:53 PM, said:

This sounds really cool. A year ago, more or less, there was a mod like this, but I believe it died away. I hope this takes off

-Rosa

We hope it takes off aswell =)
-Thomas (coder)

Posted Image

AkulaMak
    AkulaMak

Diamond Miner

• Members
  • 864 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:20 PM

Sounds like a cool idea, but one thing in the description is bothering me and I would like to submit a comment. You say that the thirst bar will increase when you drink. Maybe it's just the way I think, but it seems to me the thirst bar would work better if it was the reverse of the hunger bar. Basically the idea would be that as thirst increases you need to drink water to decrease you thirst. It just (to me anyway) makes more sense.

MadeBySix

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:32 PM

View PostAkulaMak, on 29 January 2013 - 05:20 PM, said:

Sounds like a cool idea, but one thing in the description is bothering me and I would like to submit a comment. You say that the thirst bar will increase when you drink. Maybe it's just the way I think, but it seems to me the thirst bar would work better if it was the reverse of the hunger bar. Basically the idea would be that as thirst increases you need to drink water to decrease you thirst. It just (to me anyway) makes more sense.

You know, I found myself thinking the exact same thing. I think it's more an issue of phrasing, because when you imagine your thirst bar increasing, you imagine yourself getting more thirsty. But in terms of visualisation, if you were talking about hunger for example, one could argue that your hunger bar going up would mean you were getting more hungry as well. The best way to think of it is just that your thirst bar being full means you have all the water you need (filling up the tank, if you like) and your bar running out means you need to refill.

I think it just helps with consistency if the hunger bar and thirst bar work in the same way.

-Dan (Project Manager)

Posted Image

AkulaMak
    AkulaMak

Diamond Miner

• Members
  • 864 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:36 PM

View PostMadeBySix, on 29 January 2013 - 05:32 PM, said:

You know, I found myself thinking the exact same thing. I think it's more an issue of phrasing, because when you imagine your thirst bar increasing, you imagine yourself getting more thirsty. But in terms of visualisation, if you were talking about hunger for example, one could argue that your hunger bar going up would mean you were getting more hungry as well. The best way to think of it is just that your thirst bar being full means you have all the water you need (filling up the tank, if you like) and your bar running out means you need to refill.

I think it just helps with consistency if the hunger bar and thirst bar work in the same way.

-Dan (Project Manager)
Works for me, it was just bugging me and I wanted to point it out. Thanks for the response, and good luck with the mod.

MadeBySix

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:40 PM

View PostAkulaMak, on 29 January 2013 - 05:36 PM, said:

Works for me, it was just bugging me and I wanted to point it out. Thanks for the response, and good luck with the mod.

Yeah, I completely understand what you mean. It's no problem, thanks for the kind wishes.

-Dan

Posted Image

MadeBySix

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:09 PM

Added Screen Shots

-Thomas (coder)

Posted Image

AkulaMak
    AkulaMak

Diamond Miner

• Members
  • 864 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:15 PM

View PostMadeBySix, on 29 January 2013 - 10:09 PM, said:

Added Screen Shots

-Thomas (coder)

Looks cool, but here I come again with a probably useless suggestion. Keeping in mind I don't know what you have planned, would it be possible for you to have a visual display of the weather conditions rather than numbers? I was thinking something like a thermometer and a barometer. They wouldn't have to have a large scale, maybe just use color to signify temp on the thermometer, and Dry and wet on the barometer.

MadeBySix

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:18 PM

View PostAkulaMak, on 29 January 2013 - 10:15 PM, said:

Looks cool, but here I come again with a probably useless suggestion. Keeping in mind I don't know what you have planned, would it be possible for you to have a visual display of the weather conditions rather than numbers? I was thinking something like a thermometer and a barometer. They wouldn't have to have a large scale, maybe just use color to signify temp on the thermometer, and Dry and wet on the barometer.

This is all planned, currently the numbers are there for me so I know whats happening when i'm trying to fix bugs in the code. Once I get to the point of putting up a proper HUD I will be getting our artist Jess to make some.

In the mean time though I will try and get her to do some concepts for the HUD and other objects that we have planned.

-Thomas (Coder)

Posted Image

AkulaMak
    AkulaMak

Diamond Miner

• Members
  • 864 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:22 PM

View PostMadeBySix, on 29 January 2013 - 10:18 PM, said:

This is all planned, currently the numbers are there for me so I know whats happening when i'm trying to fix bugs in the code. Once I get to the point of putting up a proper HUD I will be getting our artist Jess to make some.

In the mean time though I will try and get her to do some concepts for the HUD and other objects that we have planned.

-Thomas (Coder)

Yea, I'll just shut up now lol.

MadeBySix

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:25 PM

View PostAkulaMak, on 29 January 2013 - 10:22 PM, said:

Yea, I'll just shut up now lol.

Haha, by all means, keep going. We genuinely appreciate your enthusiasm, we like pointers and suggestions. If you think of anything else you'd like to see or have any more comments, don't hesitate to say something.

-Dan

Posted Image

AkulaMak
    AkulaMak

Diamond Miner

• Members
  • 864 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:38 PM

You could have fitness mess with swim speed, or more importantly you could have fitness level mess with the length of time your "breath" bar decreases. Also, are you planning on adding "Gym" equipment, or are you going to have some other way to determine fitness level. I was thinking you could have a system similar to "mana" only have it be essentially calories. Eating gives you calories, exercise takes them away. End up consuming too many calories and not "burning" them off and poof your fitness level goes down.

MadeBySix

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:19 PM

View PostAkulaMak, on 29 January 2013 - 10:38 PM, said:

You could have fitness mess with swim speed, or more importantly you could have fitness level mess with the length of time your "breath" bar decreases. Also, are you planning on adding "Gym" equipment, or are you going to have some other way to determine fitness level. I was thinking you could have a system similar to "mana" only have it be essentially calories. Eating gives you calories, exercise takes them away. End up consuming too many calories and not "burning" them off and poof your fitness level goes down.

You know, we hadn't considered the thing about the breath bar. Which is odd, because we had discussed methods of allowing the player to breathe longer. Swim speed also hadn't occurred to us. In terms of the gym equipment, we've decided against it, because we want 'normal' to be the optimal point a player can be at. We want Thin to be less 'ripped' and more malnourished. We're still discussing how a player could intentionally reduce their weight, because we don't want it to be a case of having to just run around in circles. It will definitely decrease over time though. I think it would just have to be less weightlifting, and more running on a treadmill. That, and we don't feel gym equipment fits in with the Minecraft dynamic.

However, your suggestion of Gym equipment did lead to a little discussion about how a freezer could fit into the traditional Minecraft dynamic, and we came up with what we feel is a pretty nice little idea in that regard. Thanks again for your input, we appreciate the interest in our idea!

-Dan

Posted Image

MadeBySix

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:57 PM

The first Alpha release can be expected in the next few days. It will include thirst as a fully implemented feature including several variables affecting its rate of decline, drinking water from a water bottle and a new crafting recipe. We feel that this already adds new depth to the game as a feature, as the player will now have to manage their thirst and hunger to survive.

We are currently just trying to fix an issue that we have been having with saving.

-Thomas (coder)

Posted Image

Kovu
    Kovu

Memory Returned

• Sectional Moderator
  • Curse Premium
  • 5325 posts
  • Minecraft: Rainfur

Posted 31 January 2013 - 04:27 AM

Good start. :)
Hope you continue on with this. The UI needs some work, but looks great for an alpha.
Posted Image

MadeBySix

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:25 AM

View PostKovu, on 31 January 2013 - 04:27 AM, said:

Good start. Posted Image
Hope you continue on with this. The UI needs some work, but looks great for an alpha.

Thanks :) We'll try not to lose steam, the main reason we're doing it is because we want to play it too! The UI is mostly debug data at the moment anyway, it'll be tidied up atleast a bit before the first download pops up. Thanks for the support!

-Dan

Posted Image

MadeBySix

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:24 PM

To all who are interested, a download link is now available in the original post! Let us know what you think!

-Dan

Posted Image