Latest News Article

Map Making And Quests In Minecraft

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

Sardanapulas

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:45 AM

Hello guys,

I am currently making an adventuremap in minecraft but I have some questions:

My world is a continent of rougly 4000x3000 blocks with custom terrain and with different cities and places. I want the player to be able to complete some 'quests' on his journey through the land and here is the problem:
I want some quests to be only available after the player did another one but the sheer vastness of the land makes that redstone signals are sometimes not going to get rendered if the player approaces a town from a different angle then where the redstone is coming from.

Is there a way to get those 'quests unlocks' without redstone or in a manner that I do not have to restrict the player to certain paths so the redstone keeps being rendered?

I got the same problem with dialogues. I want certain dialogues to pop up (commandblocks) when the player comes in to a new area and he has finished a certain quest in a previous area.

example: The player defends a village from a zombie attack. The villagers tell the player to get his reward at the palace of the ruler of the area. The player goes to the palace a couple 100'th blocks further and gets thanked by the king. I obviously don't want that the king thanks the player if the player did not first defend the village but instead went to the castle immediately without passing by the village. How do I do that?

Thanks in advance,

--Sar
Posted ImagePosted Image

Register or log in to remove.

Theminecraft1994
  • Minecraft: Kill_Bill

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:29 AM

Well, the redstone is rather simple..
The easiest way, is to just ensure the player has to fetch a certain item and throw it on a pressure plate, or place it as a lever to power the redstone. An other way is to make the player gather a certain block and place it somewhere..
The best type of block would be sand(not gravel because there's a chance it'd turn into flint), by making them place it above a hole so it falls down into the gap between 2 redstone currents and connects hem.
I do sometimes miss the good old buggs you know... *like booster carts*
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade!

Sardanapulas

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:49 AM

I thought of that too but the problem is that when the player completed 1 quest he can reap the reward of another one.
Same with that item, the player can throw what he wants on the pressure plate and it will activate.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Theminecraft1994

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:57 AM

Yes, BUT using the dropping block he won't be able to do so, depending on the terrain ur map consists of...
Just ensure you don't use any of those blocks as terrain and then there won't be a single problem =D

You can prevent a player from getting the second reward using AND gates in your redstone currents. It's the most common redstone gate there is :P

The weirdest thing is... I used to play on a server with friends which was like 10000 x 10000 blocks tall and we used to send currents all over the place (train stations) we never had a problem with it.. Perhaps its because your computer is a litle old? How much RAM do you have and what type of processor?

Sardanapulas

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:22 PM

i7
6gb ram
I dont think that my pc is the problem.

Its just that things like clocks and so on dont work when you are 200 blocks from the clock mechanism itself.
If the player thus arrives at a location from an other direction than the redstone, the signal will not have rendered all the way and thus be incorrect?
Let me know if this is wrong.

But explain to me: the player can also drop his sword on the pressure plate and it will also activate. Is there a way to let pressureplates activate on a certain block?
Posted ImagePosted Image

Theminecraft1994

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:51 PM

I'd say you use the drop down mechanism to complete a redstone current..
I don't know if you have any gravel or sand on the map, BUT if it's still possible, just remove all of it and keep the couple of blocks needed to get the rewards.

If you want to use it I'll make a vid on what I mean exactly, just lemme know =D

Tingesport

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:46 PM

View PostTheminecraft1994, on 22 January 2013 - 01:51 PM, said:

I don't know if you have any gravel or sand on the map, BUT if it's still possible, just remove all of it and keep the couple of blocks needed to get the rewards.

If you want to use it I'll make a vid on what I mean exactly, just lemme know =D

Well, about that Vending Machine, as he said before.. the player are able to approach the city from a different angle?

Sardanapulas

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:32 PM

View PostTheminecraft1994, on 22 January 2013 - 01:51 PM, said:

I know what you mean, and the world is going to be adventuremode so they cannot get blocks but the problem is that if the player got sand from other missions he can use this to unlock the reward of a mission he did not complete yet and I obviously don't want that.

I was thinking of doing some things with commandblocks and AND gates to unlock the next conversation in another place (I dont want that dialogue to pop up when the player did not complete the previous mission) but there I got that redstonerendering problem.

Any other Ideas or do I really need to restrict the player? I really want roaming and exploration to be a big part of the map so that is the last thing that I want to do but if there is not other option  ...
Posted ImagePosted Image

Sardanapulas

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:03 PM

Bump
Posted ImagePosted Image

Tingesport

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:23 PM

View PostSardanapulas, on 22 January 2013 - 03:32 PM, said:

I know what you mean, and the world is going to be adventuremode so they cannot get blocks but the problem is that if the player got sand from other missions he can use this to unlock the reward of a mission he did not complete yet and I obviously don't want that.

I was thinking of doing some things with commandblocks and AND gates to unlock the next conversation in another place (I dont want that dialogue to pop up when the player did not complete the previous mission) but there I got that redstonerendering problem.

Any other Ideas or do I really need to restrict the player? I really want roaming and exploration to be a big part of the map so that is the last thing that I want to do but if there is not other option  ...

You should have Vending Machines on different places on the Map, like "Checkpoint" where you change your Spawnposition and unlock next mission?
There is alot of Command Block Functions aswell Posted Image

I refer to Sethblings latest Video..

Source: http://sethbling.com/

Sardanapulas

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:23 PM

That can help indeed, maybe I can figure something out with that.
If anyone got more things that might help: plz post :D
Posted ImagePosted Image

Dragonorb
  • Minecraft: Jayceebee
  • Xbox:KinkyStab

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:36 PM

I have a suggestion...

How about you put a line of redstone every 200 blocks, all connected to the input and output, therefore the redstone will be activated everywhere you go! (I know, its going to be a bit hard, but its worth a shot :) )
Posted Image

Sardanapulas

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:38 PM

That is indeed always a possibility and if I have to choose between all that work or restricting the player I will choose the your option. Its just lots and lots of work ( 3000x4000 blocks ...) so if I find/get a sexy alternative I'll go for that.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Dragonorb
  • Minecraft: Jayceebee
  • Xbox:KinkyStab

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:48 PM

Okay, GLaD I could help!

EDIT- You could MCEdit the redstone in, if you don't want to waste time :)
Posted Image

Sardanapulas

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:18 PM

Do unique items (say that I make an 'unique' piece of paper with special properties) stack with other unique items of the same kind and do they stack with the same kind of item but different properties?
Posted ImagePosted Image

Got2Survive
  • Minecraft: Got2Survive

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:54 PM

Okay here's an idea:
Save villager, who says basically "Trade with me" or something like that, and he is holding a unique unstack-able item such as a book called "Letter to the King" or something. You can trade the books for rewards to the steward or the king at the castle or something like that. I've done it before, and it's very effective. Also, if a server crash/relog occurs then the system isn't broken as the player is still carrying the special book.
"Map making isn't about painting a canvas, it's more like creating a giant block and carving a statue out of it."
Posted Image

fredklein

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:21 PM

Possibilities:

1) Make your map small enough that the reward locations are always loaded when the player is at the quest completion location (ie: make the Kings palace closer to the villiage),

2) Design your maps so it's not possible to get to the reward location except by a path that will allow the redstone to propagate normally. (Also, keep in mind it doesn't need to be redstone per se- you could send a minecart down some tracks to hit a sensor rail at the far end.)

3) Use command blocks to TP the player to a small room at/near the reward location for a fraction of a second, just long enough to activate a pressure plate or tripwire, then TP them back. The pressure plate or tripwire being activated is what allows the reward to be given later when the player arrives at the reward location normally.  (This can be prettied up by hitting the player with blindness and/or nausea before TP'ing them, and having a NPC 'ask' if they are feeling okay after they get TP'd back. ie: Player defeats boss in villiage square, player hit by blindness/nausea, TP'd to reward area, trips pressure plate, TP'd right back to villiage square, where a villiager says "Hey, are you okay? That was quite a blow to the head you took at the last second..." as the blindness/nausea wears off.)

4) I'm not sure how it is affected by unloaded chunks, but I came up with a unique way to instantly send a signal long distance- use MCEdit or similar to create a long, one-wide, one-high string of nether portal blocks.  Simple disturb an adjacent block at one end, say by pulling it away with a piston, and the entire length of portal blocks will disappear.  A sand or gravel block on top of the portal blocks at the far end will then fall. Of course, this is tricky to do and is only one-use, but it might come in handy.

Sardanapulas

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:53 PM

View PostGot2Survive, on 24 January 2013 - 06:54 PM, said:

Okay here's an idea:
Save villager, who says basically "Trade with me" or something like that, and he is holding a unique unstack-able item such as a book called "Letter to the King" or something. You can trade the books for rewards to the steward or the king at the castle or something like that. I've done it before, and it's very effective. Also, if a server crash/relog occurs then the system isn't broken as the player is still carrying the special book.

That would be extremely helpful and this is the kind of thing I'm looking for.
So i need to give the player a special/unique item and make that tradeble with a villager (named 'the king')?
That sounds like a very very sexy way of dealing with this problem

View Postfredklein, on 24 January 2013 - 09:21 PM, said:

Possibilities:

1) Make your map small enough that the reward locations are always loaded when the player is at the quest completion location (ie: make the Kings palace closer to the villiage),

2) Design your maps so it's not possible to get to the reward location except by a path that will allow the redstone to propagate normally. (Also, keep in mind it doesn't need to be redstone per se- you could send a minecart down some tracks to hit a sensor rail at the far end.)

3) Use command blocks to TP the player to a small room at/near the reward location for a fraction of a second, just long enough to activate a pressure plate or tripwire, then TP them back. The pressure plate or tripwire being activated is what allows the reward to be given later when the player arrives at the reward location normally.  (This can be prettied up by hitting the player with blindness and/or nausea before TP'ing them, and having a NPC 'ask' if they are feeling okay after they get TP'd back. ie: Player defeats boss in villiage square, player hit by blindness/nausea, TP'd to reward area, trips pressure plate, TP'd right back to villiage square, where a villiager says "Hey, are you okay? That was quite a blow to the head you took at the last second..." as the blindness/nausea wears off.)

4) I'm not sure how it is affected by unloaded chunks, but I came up with a unique way to instantly send a signal long distance- use MCEdit or similar to create a long, one-wide, one-high string of nether portal blocks.  Simple disturb an adjacent block at one end, say by pulling it away with a piston, and the entire length of portal blocks will disappear.  A sand or gravel block on top of the portal blocks at the far end will then fall. Of course, this is tricky to do and is only one-use, but it might come in handy.

Also very helpful! I like the teleport-pressureplate idea and I will probably implement this!
Posted ImagePosted Image

Got2Survive
  • Minecraft: Got2Survive

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:08 AM

Yes you would name a villager either "King" or "Steward" (if you want the king to go like 'go give it to the steward I'm lazy')
Then, in that villager's trading menu, you would filter the mob so that it wants to trade the book for your reward (a sword, etc). If you go into INVedit and change the number of books to 2 (it HAS to be a signed book written with the book+quill) then it will work. Re-writing the book will NOT work.

Here's an example scenario I've given you:
  • Save the villager

• Redstone mechanics give the player a book called "Reward letter X" (X being replaced by the quest number or something)

• Redstone continues to make the villager say "Here, take this to the King and claim your reward!"

• Walk to the King

• Look in trade menu for the trade menu (which you will create) with the book "Reward letter X"

• Trade the book for your reward!

• ???

• Profit!!!

EDIT: I can make a tutorial video on how to do this if you're confused.
"Map making isn't about painting a canvas, it's more like creating a giant block and carving a statue out of it."
Posted Image

Sardanapulas

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:24 AM

You don't really have to make a vid for this, but can you just explain some small things?

-with what program can I edit the name of the villager
-with what program can I edit the trading menu so it will trade the book for a reward?

Thanks for this, Its really helpful!
Posted ImagePosted Image