13 replies to this topic

gh00st
    gh00st

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 05:25 PM

Hey.

Im trying to set up a server, and im so far, that now people can connect to my server, and i found out how to add more ram to my server, but my server is still lagging a lot. There's about 3 sec. delay on, and the world is loading very slow. We are only 2 on the server.

What can the problem be?

Thank you in advance.

Register or log in to remove.

BubaDragon

Posted 14 February 2011 - 05:31 PM

The person who resolves lag will be a worldwide hero…

That being said, make sure that your internet connection is snappy, most residential connections are choked on the upstream side.
Use your best computer as the server

Those are the easy fixes.

gh00st
    gh00st

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 06:31 PM

My computer should be good enough. And i see many servers who run without lag, how can i make such a server? Isn't it possible?

Orcworm
    Orcworm

Ghast Hunter

• Members
  • 2731 posts
  • Minecraft: Orcworm

Posted 14 February 2011 - 06:34 PM

Your specs may be good enough, but what about your upload speed?

http://www.speedtest.net

If you want to host a larger server your best bet would be to rent a VPS or something similar.
Posted Image

rch
    rch

Minecraft.cm

• Members
  • 4104 posts
  • Minecraft: rch

Posted 14 February 2011 - 06:36 PM

What are the specs of your computer? What OS? RAM? CPU? Hard Drive size/speed?

How fast is your home internet connection? Run a test at http://www.speedtest.net and post your results

gh00st
    gh00st

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 07:28 PM

Maybe it's my connection, because it's only on 1 mbit, but i had other servers before, and there were no problems at all? In fact they had a good ping?

BubaDragon

Posted 14 February 2011 - 07:40 PM

gh00st said:

Maybe it's my connection, because it's only on 1 mbit, but i had other servers before, and there were no problems at all? In fact they had a good ping?

Was that 1Mb/s or 1MB/s
Also what was your latency?
I have a pretty crappy 1.75Mb/s (+- 0.03 Mb/s) connection with a 37ms Ping and I do not have significant lag. Although I only have at the most 4 or 5 people connecting. How full is your disk? What OS are you running?

gh00st
    gh00st

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 08:19 PM

Upload is on 1 mbit and my ping is 29.

Im running windows 7 64-bit, and there's 187 GB out of 596 GB free space on my HD.

Mydnyte
    Mydnyte

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 481 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 08:33 PM

1Mb should be a decent enough connection for 2 people.
I was running 1Mb for 4 for a while on my first server without much problem.

My guess here is that your RAM is holding you back.
You mentioned that you figured out how to upgrade it, but what is the total RAM now installed on the server computer?

Installing RAM usually allieviates some of your problems, but it depends on how much is in your machine.

Are you running a vanilla server, or do you have some mods installed?
Is the server running on the same computer you are playing Minecraft on?
Posted Image

gh00st
    gh00st

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 08:40 PM

My server runs on the same computer as im playing minecraft on.

I have 4 Gb RAM, and my server doesn't have any mods installed at all. I haven't any mods on my minecraft singleplayer too.

It's weird, because im used to run servers in other games, without problems.

hexparrot
    hexparrot

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1150 posts
  • Minecraft: hexparrot

Posted 14 February 2011 - 09:00 PM

gh00st said:

My server runs on the same computer as im playing minecraft on.

^^ theres your problem!  based on your symptoms and this, id say its far far far far far far far more likely that this is the culprit than bandwidth and ram.

I say that because if something is taking 3 seconds or more to occur, and your people arent out boating in different directions or just loading...its not likely those players are using up your available bandwidth as the proximate cause.

and seeing how minecraft can lag other parts of your computer (like, try running a dvd on one monitor and minecraft fullscreen on the other), id say its much more likely client+server running side-by-side is more of a likelihood than a few KB queue taking 3 seconds to get from your computer to your other players clients.
Posted Image

Nazruk
    Nazruk

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 10:28 AM

I'm having the same problem, but not with my own server. Everytime I log on to minecraft all of the servers say
bad connection and then they open up and when I get into a server It lags like heck. I have perfect wifi and connection
on my computer also, so I don't know what the problem is.

reshiram199

Posted 03 January 2014 - 09:56 AM

Hello.

My connection is 12,24 MBPS tested with Speednet, but the server lags anyway, I don't know if it's my friend's connection, because we're just 2 in that server. I think my PC is good to host a server, it's got 8 GB of RAM, a processor Intel Core i5 and a graphic card NVIDIA 2 GB
My modem is speedy, it has a ping of 31ms but I really don't know why...

Scullyking
    Scullyking

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 239 posts
  • Minecraft: Scullyking

Posted 03 January 2014 - 10:21 AM

I recommend getting using a server jar called Spigot. It's basically Bukkit rewritten to be more efficient and reduce latency on servers. Here's their website.