• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

[MOD] yMod 0.1 for Beta 1.2_02 - height limit to 512!

• Please log in to reply
402 replies to this topic

yatima2975

Posted 14 February 2011 - 04:26 PM

Hi guys,

I've made a mod that changes the height limit from 128 to 512 (or 256, or 1024, or maybe even higher). It's still pretty rough around the edges, but I'd like you all to try it out!

The mod makes sure you don't overwrite your old worlds (but it can't convert them yet, that's planned for the next version).

Also included is a experimental feature to stretch the output of Minecraft's terrain generator in various interesting ways to get bigger mountains to look at/build with. This is just there for experimenting; I think I'll remove it once I understand better how to alter the worldgenerator.

It comes with a fairly long Readme where the various options are (hopefully) explained, as well as technical info on the modifications I had to make to the save format to accomodate the larger heights - this last bit is for tool writers (for mapviewers and editors and so on). For the interested modder, the output of 'git diff -p' against a fresh decompile by MCP 2.7 is included so you could even play with it.

Download is at http://www.mediafire...2t8cramdgjacwad. Quick install instructions: backup minecraft.jar, put the classes in the zip file into minecraft.jar, delete META-INF, go! For more options, consult the readme.

You can have a look at some screenshots over at imgur. I'll probably add some more later on.

Enjoy, and I look forward to your opinions and bug reports!

EDIT 1: You can find an intermediate bug fix release, v0.1.5, at http://www.mediafire...1m8n9wy2b33t2mx, this removes the stretching, fixes the lighting problem and makes a special chunk appear at (0,0). Hopefully no other bugs are introduced!

Register or log in to remove.

Crory
    Crory

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 529 posts
  • Minecraft: Perine

Posted 14 February 2011 - 04:30 PM

Looking at the pictures, I don't think I'll be downloading it until you get the world generation fixed. I would love tall mountains, but not the ones you're getting with this mod :D

msmit71
    msmit71

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1824 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 04:34 PM

Oh my god is this real?
How much of the entire game did you rewrite?

yatima2975

Posted 14 February 2011 - 04:40 PM

msmit71 said:

Oh my god is this real?
How much of the entire game did you rewrite?

I changed 20 existing classes in total and added 3. Most of it was in World and Chunk, and most of the rest had to do with map generation. The big work was finding out what needed changing (a simple search for 128/127 won't find all of them!)

Korimito
    Korimito

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 690 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 04:42 PM

And they said it was impossible.
Posted Image

Foxy1990 said:

if some higher beings ever got to view this forum before coming to our planet they would turn back and not bother!

Blindburrows said:

do you know how to get to the Netherlands other than a portal

yatima2975

Posted 14 February 2011 - 04:46 PM

Crory said:

Looking at the pictures, I don't think I'll be downloading it until you get the world generation fixed. I would love tall mountains, but not the ones you're getting with this mod :P

You can also turn it off, and get a flat world with just more airspace.

In fact, that's what this mod does if you just install the class-files. You have to start messing around with scalePercentages.txt to get wierder stuff.

Also, in the screenies I turned it up pretty far just to see what would happen. I imagine if you just scale the parts above sea level by a factor of 1.5 or 2, you'd get fairly reasonable looking landscapes.

yatima2975

Posted 14 February 2011 - 04:49 PM

Korimito said:

And they said it was impossible.

Humbug. It took me about 10 days, and that's with a normal 9-5 job. It still needs lots of work - the Nether probably won't work and SMP definitely won't work, but it can be done.

Also note that I didn't go the route of stacking multiple chunks on top of each other, just made them higher. That made everything a lot simpler!

msmit71
    msmit71

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1824 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 04:55 PM

Korimito said:

And they said it would be incredibly hard.
Fix'd

msmit71
    msmit71

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1824 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 05:01 PM

I'm going to test this out.
I mined down to bedrock on a supposedly 512 block world, which was 64 blocks down from the surface. Now I have 512 dirt, and I'm going to see if I can pillar up that high.

Jademalo
    Jademalo

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 545 posts
  • Minecraft: Jademalo

Posted 14 February 2011 - 05:03 PM

Question - Does this make underground deeper, or is it purely more blocks above sea level?
Posted Image

msmit71
    msmit71

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1824 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 05:04 PM

Jademalo said:

Question - Does this make underground deeper, or is it purely more blocks above sea level?
From what I have seen, it only makes more air above sea level.

microkites

Posted 14 February 2011 - 05:10 PM

EPIC EPIC EPIC EPIC!

Serious Shit

you have fulfilled the dreams of millions!

I started from fresh jar and it worked fine

got a little bit of a fps drop on loading world- but not half as bad as I expected

I have older computer and even with optimine etc, I rarely get above 20 fps

chunk loading is a bit slower

so I added spc to fly around a bit

and added your text file to edit terrain

lol spawned on the side of one of those epic mountains

glad I added fly mod when I did!

would have died quick!

:iapprove:

rest of terrain was fine

will start playing with settings next

but I do suggest an easier way to edit in later version- or you will just get hassled with stupid questions

I can figured it out with a little work, but alot of these forum types are allergic to work

also I would recommend setting the default height at 256 so it doesnt take to big a fps hit at first

awesome awesome mod!
[img][url=http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.php?quickkey=jjs9uvoe909i793&thumb=5][img]http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/0e76d0778310d924c1d05da9cb4e9d94420f5cd82195ed6700a70f0529a7666b2g.jpg[/img][/url][/img]
Posted Image

we need Spawn Control Mod!
please click link-
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=104204

msmit71
    msmit71

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1824 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 05:13 PM

Alright, this is legit.
I'm on a 512 world, the smalles possible, and I'm not even at the height limit yet. That is on far render.
Posted Image
I bet 1024 is insane.

msmit71
    msmit71

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1824 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 05:15 PM

We must tweet this to Notch. He would be insane not to add it into the main game.
Give me one reason why he should not.

Gesh
    Gesh

Iron Miner

• Members
  • 299 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 05:16 PM

He said that he prefers not to add mods to the game.

msmit71
    msmit71

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1824 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 05:21 PM

Gesh said:

He said that he prefers not to add mods to the game.
He said he prefers not to add mods to the game because he wants to be creative, and  if he added mods they would be taking away some creativity. This mod has nothing to do with creativity (as in new features, blocks, mobs,ect).
For example, he added the McRegion Mod into the game. It's just like this one, it doesn't add "new content" to the game that would ruin notch's creativity.

daveonline123
  • Minecraft: daveonline123

Posted 14 February 2011 - 05:22 PM

msmit71 said:

We must tweet this to Notch. He would be insane not to add it into the main game.

The only reason I see why he wouldn't is because of all the whining and bitching about performance. I however will be installing this when I get in, as my PC rocks and I get no performance issues. Will try 1024 and let everyone know.  :Pink:

If this mod works effectively, it deserves a thousand  :Sheep: 's

msmit71
    msmit71

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1824 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 05:23 PM

daveonline123 said:

msmit71 said:

The only reason I see why he wouldn't is because of all the whining and bitching about performance. I however will be installing this when I get in, as my PC rocks and I get no performance issues. Will try 1024 and let everyone know.  :Notch:

If this mod works effectively, it deserves a thousand  :SSSS: 's
Simple fix. Allow users to chose which height limit they want to generate/convert their world to.

CosmicSpore

Posted 14 February 2011 - 05:30 PM

msmit71 said:

Because he already designed the game to only have 128 height?
There was a reason he did it that way, why would he back out and change his mind now?

It's most likely for storage and speed concerns. Upping the height limit takes a lot more resources, as noted earlier by microkites. Everything takes longer to load, FPS takes a hit, and etc.

Not everyone wants to sacrifice their gameplay for some more sky-level they will never use.

msmit71
    msmit71

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1824 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 05:34 PM

msmit71 said:

daveonline123 said:

msmit71 said:

The only reason I see why he wouldn't is because of all the whining and bitching about performance. I however will be installing this when I get in, as my PC rocks and I get no performance issues. Will try 1024 and let everyone know.  :Diamond:

If this mod works effectively, it deserves a thousand  :Diamond: 's
Simple fix. Allow users to chose which height limit they want to generate/convert their world to.