67 replies to this topic

ohman95
    ohman95

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 225 posts
  • Minecraft: Ohman95

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:46 PM

No, I don't have anything against the function of the block itself, only that they made an entirely new block for it. The Dropper is basically a weak dispenser the can place items into containers infront of it.

Instead, the Dispenser's firing power should be controlled by the power of the connected redstone current, only one redstone power-unit resulting in the item just dropping out of the dispenser, to go along with the "power-based" upgrade redstone is recieving. And regarding the facts that Dropper only "drop" items in the game unlike the dispenser, and the ability to place them in containers, just let the Dispenser have 2 modes; "Dispense" and "Drop", along with it being able to place items in containers.

Tl;dr I think the Dropper block doesn't do enough things to make it a separate block, just add the functionality to the Dispenser instead.

Yeah, this sounds more like a suggestion, but I didn't know if it was reasonable to actually make a suggestion topic about a WIP game feature.
The word "Overused" is overused, just as the word "Old" is old.

Register or log in to remove.

Sage Harpuia

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:49 PM

Maybe it's time for the dispenser to be able to use more stuff (flint and steel? Dispense even blocks like buckets?) and give all the dropping functionality to the dropper...

Posted Image

Unilegger
    Unilegger

Creeper Destroyer

• Members
  • 5809 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:50 PM

They act as hopper pipes too you know.

Posted Image

Tecmo
    Tecmo

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:52 PM

View PostUnileggerDripper222, on 17 January 2013 - 05:50 PM, said:

They act as hopper pipes too you know.

hoppers act as hopper pipes.

Bumber
    Bumber

Portal Expert

• Members
  • 5000 posts
  • Location: Loafing around like bread and growing binary trees.
  • Minecraft: rwilliams1990

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:53 PM

I don't get why they didn't just add the Allocator as-is instead of making two separate blocks. It picked up, filtered, and dropped all-in-one.
Spoiler:
I lurk sometimes. I don't post anymore.

blackfire853
  • Minecraft: Squire2

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:12 PM

There is no disadvantage to having it. And seriously,the snapshot has been out for less than an hour and there is already complaints? This is getting ridicules...
The whitest rose is the one easiestly stained black,this leads to an important question.Why do you have paint near your roses?

cecilexplodes
  • Minecraft: cecilkrakken

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:44 PM

I don't think the block should be removed, so much as altered.  Maybe I did something wrong, but I loaded up my creative map and set  up a dropper to a comparator hoping it would drop the items straight down, but it shoots them out with velocity just the same as the dispenser.  So yes, it is cool that I can now dispense water, lava, arrows, and charges without them shooting off into oblivion, but I was kind of hoping it would drop the items instead of project them.

Also, I'd like to see a more distinct texture.  Just sayin'.

Knochenbowser
  • Minecraft: Knochenbowser

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:59 PM

-it's in developement
-it's a snapshot
-the update isn't out yet

Psistorm
    Psistorm

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 168 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:47 PM

View PostKnochenbowser, on 17 January 2013 - 06:59 PM, said:

-it's in developement
-it's a snapshot
And yet, mojang's track record shows that if something gets in a snapshot, it will be going live pretty much in that shape.

Now that said, I agree with the OP. The dispenser and dropper do almost exactly the same thing. I would rather have them put into a single block instead and merge their functionality. As is, it just doesn't feel like the dropper brings enough to the game to be worth its own block. Rather merge it and use less crafting recipes.

cecilexplodes

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:47 PM

View PostKnochenbowser, on 17 January 2013 - 06:59 PM, said:

-it's in developement
-it's a snapshot

The snapshots are published to advanced users for the sole purpose of testing and discourse.  The developers do pay attention to these forums and the very nature of this sub-forum is to discuss future additions; the dropper so happens to be a future addition.  I think the OP has some good points about this particular future update and that responses like this quoted one are lame in strength and opinion.

What if the developers published snapshots but no one was allowed to talk about them for any reason; what would be the point?

Sambaru
    Sambaru

Nether Resident

• Members
  • 2081 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:51 PM

This is crazy, you are complaining about feature that was added a few hours ago, this is a snapshot, it isn't the final release.
Posted Image

AnyVoxel
  • Minecraft: Creep__

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:03 PM

Achievement get! Comlain at the speed of light.
May i ask what your problem is sir?

They added a dropper. it DROPS items instead of using them. could this be implemented into a dispenser?
yes.

But definitely not controlled by the singlal strenght of a redstone input.
It would require a menu in the dispenser where you could select between use/drop and only drop.

EDIT:

View PostSage Harpuia, on 17 January 2013 - 05:49 PM, said:

Maybe it's time for the dispenser to be able to use more stuff (flint and steel? Dispense even blocks like buckets?) and give all the dropping functionality to the dropper...

Now we are talkin!

BC_Programming
  • Minecraft: BC_Programming

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:37 PM

The redstone update is about adding new redstone features as well as fixing existing redstone issues and bugs.

overcomplicating the dispenser is not what it is about. Adding new dispenser "modes" (wtf does that even mean? How would they be controlled) and additional functionality provided through redstone current, which is already being used for something, simply complicates it's use.

cecilexplodes

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:40 PM

View PostSambaru, on 17 January 2013 - 07:51 PM, said:

This is crazy, you are complaining about feature that was added a few hours ago, this is a snapshot, it isn't the final release.

This is a subforum created to discuss future updates. The dropper is a planned feature for which we were given playable insight; therefore discussing it here is completely legitimate. OP even makes a strong point that the dropper is largely without unique function.

I don't see the crazy...

xZooBLeZ
    xZooBLeZ

Diamond Miner

• Members
  • 782 posts
  • Minecraft: xZooBLeZ

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:44 PM

View PostBC_Programming, on 17 January 2013 - 08:37 PM, said:

The redstone update is about adding new redstone features as well as fixing existing redstone issues and bugs.

overcomplicating the dispenser is not what it is about. Adding new dispenser "modes" (wtf does that even mean? How would they be controlled) and additional functionality provided through redstone current, which is already being used for something, simply complicates it's use.
I agree, but "Adding new dispenser modes (wtf does that even mean?)." is pretty simple, open the dispenser gui and there could simply be a button, that switches the dispenser behavior.
"There is a world we cannot see, a world where all our imagination, dreams and fantasies lay true with no limitations and endless freedom. It is there as we speak, and it will always be there. Our world will never be able to connect to the other, but we will know that it is there, beyond this world. Those who you have lost in this world is there, and you will meet them when you are no longer part of our current world."
- ???

ohman95
    ohman95

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 225 posts
  • Minecraft: Ohman95

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:46 PM

And what does time have to do with it? The Dropper doesn't do much, so it doesn't take long to figure it out.
We have two blocks that do basically the same thing, and I propose that we merge them into a single block.

View PostAnyVoxel, on 17 January 2013 - 08:03 PM, said:

May i ask what your problem is sir?
If you have to ask, you are my problem.

View PostBC_Programming, on 17 January 2013 - 08:37 PM, said:

overcomplicating the dispenser is not what it is about.
Oh, because I totally said "Drop everything you're doing and make the Redstone update all about dispensers!".

View Postcecilhowe, on 17 January 2013 - 08:40 PM, said:

This is a subforum created to discuss future updates. The dropper is a planned feature for which we were given playable insight; therefore discussing it here is completely legitimate. OP even makes a strong point that the dropper is largely without unique function.

I don't see the crazy...
Appreciated.
The word "Overused" is overused, just as the word "Old" is old.

Nerevar
    Nerevar

Creeper Destroyer

• Members
  • 6104 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:48 PM

View PostPsistorm, on 17 January 2013 - 07:47 PM, said:

Now that said, I agree with the OP. The dispenser and dropper do almost exactly the same thing. I would rather have them put into a single block instead and merge their functionality. As is, it just doesn't feel like the dropper brings enough to the game to be worth its own block. Rather merge it and use less crafting recipes.

I have to agree with this. I think Mojang should just merge the capbilties of the Dropper with the Dispenser and save on block space.

-The Power to Destroy-

KingTrygon
    KingTrygon

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 934 posts
  • Minecraft: KingTrygon

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:04 PM

I believe it is very important to the gameplay that we have a happy face block and a surprised face block.

Steve64
    Steve64

Coal Miner

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:19 PM

If you do not like the dropper, don't use it. I actually like it. You know it can work like a hopper by putting items in chests and minecarts.
I support droppers
I support Red Dragons in Minecraft!

murphmaster01

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:19 PM

View PostxZooBLeZ, on 17 January 2013 - 08:44 PM, said:

I agree, but "Adding new dispenser modes (wtf does that even mean?)." is pretty simple, open the dispenser gui and there could simply be a button, that switches the dispenser behavior.
No. That makes no sense as far as minecraft goes, mojang hates adding complex UIs.

I dont get it why you people are so against it.

The dispenser dispenses (read: uses) items. It should get more features, like flint and steel putting fire for a second.
The dropper drops items.

People wanted a way to do it. Messing the dispenser by adding current specific modes or a button in the gui (are there any buttons in other gui's in the game?) isn't they way to go.

The textures even make sense to me. Basically the same block but the dispenser has a small opening for pressure so it can shoot arrows and retain buckets, while the dropper is more like a channel to guide items.

I mean even the recipes are spot on.
Don't play vanilla? You don't know shit about minecraft.