mechri
    mechri

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 370 posts
  • Minecraft: MysticMagicks

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:08 PM

View PostKittani77, on 17 January 2013 - 06:05 PM, said:

Looks good... still want true storage block for quartz and coal/charcoal and less caves/ravines option in world gen.

Do you have a thing against caves? D:
Current anime: Magi

Register or log in to remove.

MegaBrawler64

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:09 PM

Yes, just yes.
Can't wait for release date.
Sometimes, I dream about cheese.

Ejuliao10

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:14 PM

View Postmechri, on 17 January 2013 - 06:08 PM, said:

Do you have a thing against caves? D:

Well, i have...

BTW: Nice Signature
Posted Image

FranEGL
    FranEGL

Coal Miner

• Members
  • 138 posts
  • Minecraft: FranEGL
  • Xbox:FranCABJ

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:23 PM

The only thing I have against caves is that when you're trying to build a base underground you find yourself inside a huge cave system with mineshafts, etc...

OT: I like this update, and yes I remember the suggestion topic to add the Dropper, I'm glad that they added it.

The Redstone Update will redefine Redstone... And so far it has added a ton of new features.

Can't wait for the final release, most of all because I want to build with Nether Quartz blocks when I'm playing SMP but most servers wait until official releases...
If you wanna play with me, contact me by Skype: franegl , or send me a PM.
Diggin' Minecraft Style

jerry0killer

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:31 PM

The dropper can put things in mine cart chest/hoppers from the side

insomniac_lemon
  • Minecraft: insomniac_lemon

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:32 PM

View PostThe_Fool76, on 17 January 2013 - 04:33 PM, said:

Dinnerbone suggests putting a chest in front of the dropper on twitter.

View PostRandom_Guy_32, on 17 January 2013 - 04:36 PM, said:

It can put items directly into any containers placed in front of it, so I guess its ability to dispense projectiles without shooting them is just a positive side effect.

So..... I'm still confused why this thing is why this thing is called a dropper then, and why the dispenser did not just gain this ability instead?

View PostAnnlaw_Clayshaper, on 17 January 2013 - 05:37 PM, said:

The next block I would like to see is a pipe that can be used to connect hoppers, it would basically act like a hopper without the storage space and would only be able to transfer items to and from hoppers (and other pipes).
The crafting recipe would contain only iron and no chest.

Sorry, we'll probably never see this, and Mojang wants to force people to use minecart variants and rails to do this instead. Because of this, they don't plan on adding any sort of pipe. Which means short-distance block travel (imagine up 2-3 blocks) will not be worth using carts for.

View PostPizarro, on 17 January 2013 - 05:50 PM, said:

"skeletons shoot players from one block away"? So that means they're now super short ranged combatants or was their range increased by 1 block?

Either way, I'm not too affected by stronger mobs. Bring them on, my nano armor and vajra will crush them all.

I think they mean a shot from a skeleton will have a knockback effect of at least 1 block.

Posted Image

MinecraftShamrock
  • Minecraft: MCShamrock

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:35 PM

They also added a /testfor command!

The /testfor command works so:

/testfor <playername>

It outputs a redstonesignal out of a commandblock when a comparator is next to it!

"Everyone, who never made a mistake has never tried something new."

Quote, Albert Einstein

dances_with_trains

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:37 PM

i would like the inverse of the dropper that would only use items. it could place blocks,  plant crops and make some more compact piston contraptions (look to the "better than wolves" mod if you don't know what i mean)

oli414
    oli414

Carpenter

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:43 PM

View Postdances_with_trains, on 17 January 2013 - 06:37 PM, said:

i would like the inverse of the dropper that would only use items. it could place blocks,  plant crops and make some more compact piston contraptions (look to the "better than wolves" mod if you don't know what i mean)
That should be very fun/usefull, than you can make full auto  netherwart farms :-D

Random_Guy_32

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:45 PM

View Postinsomniac_lemon, on 17 January 2013 - 06:32 PM, said:

So..... I'm still confused why this thing is why this thing is called a dropper then, and why the dispenser did not just gain this ability instead?
Maybe you want a dispenser to shoot a minecart off the track. A dispenser can't know whether you want to destroy of fill the storage minecart in front of it, so we have a dropper which fills the minecart while the dispenser still can destroy it instead. Just one possible explanation.

View Postdances_with_trains, on 17 January 2013 - 06:37 PM, said:

Dinnerbone said he is against automatic block breakers, so I guess the same applies to block placers.

kude42
    kude42

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1286 posts
  • Minecraft: Kude42

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:45 PM

The dropper is pretty much the same thing as a dispenser. The only difference is that instead of firing arrows (and other such items) as projectiles, it drops the items. So, a stack of fire charges wouldn't be shot out and used up, it would be put onto the floor. If the dispenser was given this ability, then it would ruin all sorts of traps. It's better to have a separate block for it. I think it can also put items directly into chests, but I may be wrong about that.

The_Fool76
    The_Fool76

Glowstone Miner

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 3032 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:49 PM

Because we still needed a way to just simply drop items like water buckets, arrows, and throwing potions.

Tis far better to be a witty fool than a foolish wit.
Posted Image

MinecraftShamrock
  • Minecraft: MCShamrock

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:51 PM

/testfor is awesome!!!

"Everyone, who never made a mistake has never tried something new."

Quote, Albert Einstein

deadbuilder1
  • Minecraft: Deadbuilder

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:56 PM

Sweet! I'll start testing this right now!

The_Fool76
    The_Fool76

Glowstone Miner

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 3032 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:00 PM

View PostMinecraftShamrock, on 17 January 2013 - 06:51 PM, said:

/testfor is awesome!!!
Can you use it with the @ syntax to detect if a player has entered a specific area?
Posted Image

Annlaw_Clayshaper
  • Minecraft: Annlaw

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:09 PM

Sorry, we'll probably never see this, and Mojang wants to force people to use minecart variants and rails to do this instead. Because of this, they don't plan on adding any sort of pipe. Which means short-distance block travel (imagine up 2-3 blocks) will not be worth using carts for.

Correct me if I'm wrong here (don't have the snapshot installed) but can't you already make a pipe of sorts by connecting a lot of hoppers to each other?
The only limitation to this would be the crafting cost (which is not even that much of a point if you use jungle wood for the chests and a golem farm for the iron)
Posted Image

Azurewhitewolf
  • Minecraft: Azurewhitewolf

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:12 PM

View Postkude42, on 17 January 2013 - 06:45 PM, said:

The dropper is pretty much the same thing as a dispenser. The only difference is that instead of firing arrows (and other such items) as projectiles, it drops the items. So, a stack of fire charges wouldn't be shot out and used up, it would be put onto the floor. If the dispenser was given this ability, then it would ruin all sorts of traps. It's better to have a separate block for it. I think it can also put items directly into chests, but I may be wrong about that.

How ever the name is very misleading.  'dropper block' sounds like it should just drop items, but instead it throws them.

insomniac_lemon

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:22 PM

View PostThe_Fool76, on 17 January 2013 - 06:49 PM, said:

Because we still needed a way to just simply drop items like water buckets, arrows, and throwing potions.

Yes, I was saying you could give the dispenser the same ability and make it do the same thing when it had a very weak signal. Add a repeater that has a specific signal output and now the analog system is much easier to use and becomes more useful.

View PostAnnlaw_Clayshaper, on 17 January 2013 - 07:09 PM, said:

Correct me if I'm wrong here (don't have the snapshot installed) but can't you already make a pipe of sorts by connecting a lot of hoppers to each other?
The only limitation to this would be the crafting cost (which is not even that much of a point if you use jungle wood for the chests and a golem farm for the iron)

Yes, however hoppers cannot send items upwards, only down and sideways. Plus, chaining a bunch of hoppers together looks ugly.

Posted Image

The_Fool76
    The_Fool76

Glowstone Miner

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 3032 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:30 PM

View Postinsomniac_lemon, on 17 January 2013 - 07:22 PM, said:

Yes, I was saying you could give the dispenser the same ability and make it do the same thing when it had a very weak signal. Add a repeater that has a specific signal output and now the analog system is much easier to use and becomes more useful.
Yea but that breaks compatibility with existing dispenser setups.  It's better to just have the extra block than to change how dispensers behave.

A variable output repeater would be nice to have though.  (Perhaps a variable resister block that can lower the signal level by more than one step?)
Posted Image

insomniac_lemon

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:39 PM

View PostThe_Fool76, on 17 January 2013 - 07:30 PM, said:

Yea but that breaks compatibility with existing dispenser setups.  It's better to just have the extra block than to change how dispensers behave.

A variable output repeater would be nice to have though.  (Perhaps a variable resister block that can lower the signal level by more than one step?)

Only rarely. I'm saying an incredibly weak signal (1-3) which most dispensers now are probably powered with a stronger signal. Even if it was broken, just put a repeater or comparator up at the end of the line to boost the signal to 15. Boom, fixed.

The second part, I think comparators can already work like that, subtracting the signal on the sides from the main input. So I'm saying something that if powered outputs a specific analog signal.

View PostAzurewhitewolf, on 17 January 2013 - 07:12 PM, said:

How ever the name is very misleading.  'dropper block' sounds like it should just drop items, but instead it throws them.

Exactly my point. A block that did as the name "dropper" would be useful for dropping items with no need for redstone. However, I feel like the functions in the "dropper" we actually got should instead be functions of dispensers activated with a weak signal. If they added piping (which, probably not), it would be cool if items fell out of the last pipe in a line of pipes if it was not connected to anything.

Posted Image