• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Minecraft launcher starts as a java application with the java logo and unable to play

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

rs200200
    rs200200

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:51 PM

Recently I have just built my own pc and have installed windows 8. I know for a fact that minecraft does work with windows 8 as my friend has windows 8 too. Every time i click on the minecraft launcher to launch minecraft it starts differently than how it should (see picture attached  as if it is some unknown java application? When I try to login to the launcher it just says 'Can't connect to minecraft.net'. Now i have tried doing installs after installs of different java versions e.g Java 7, Java 6 etc.. and have also done clean installs on minecraft for a number of times and still it loads exactly the same. Next I then tried to play minecraft on the browser and even that didn't work although I successfully downloaded the minecraft files it didn't manage to load properly and minecraft froze when trying. Furthermore, I then tried to login once again and use the play offline option but inevitably it gave me a black screen int he minecraft launcher. I have also updated all my drivers to the latest version such as graphics cards. Could someone help me please Posted Image?
Posted Image

Register or log in to remove.

Mikko_blu
    Mikko_blu

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1688 posts
  • Minecraft: Mikko_blu

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:17 PM

Try looking at this thread, and seeing if it helps.

0B51D14N_M1N3R
  • Minecraft: R3dDust

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:20 PM

Minecraft is not supported on Windows 8. For some people it works just fine and some people have problems.

Xnor40
    Xnor40

Stone Miner

• Members
  • 96 posts
  • Minecraft: benna183

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:23 PM

Downgrade to Windows 7 or use a better OS.
Did I not help you? Do you hate me? Did I ruin your life? If so, please click the green destroy-reputation button in the bottom right corner.

rs200200
    rs200200

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 06:24 PM

No, minecraft i'm sure is compatible with windows 8. It's a really strange problem, one which isn't common and i havn't ever seen anyone have the same sort of problem with it behaving in such a.. strange way. Do keep posting please to help me :S I would appreciate some help from a minecraft or moderator official :)!

Btw Mikko_blu the thread you suggested there isn't related to the problem i'm having unfortunately. I did manage to get the minecraft files from clicking on the option to 'play in browser' however i can't actually load minecraft after that as it freezes which sucks! :/

Mikko_blu
    Mikko_blu

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1688 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:27 PM

Minecraft is Compatible with Windows 8.
However, it does like to put up a fight.
Do you have any firewalls installed?

rs200200
    rs200200

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:57 PM

I do have Windows Firewall installed but nothing else. Also my antivirus program is just Windows Defender if you want to know that too.

Mikko_blu
    Mikko_blu

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1688 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:59 PM

Hmm. do this, and then post it back here.

rs200200
    rs200200

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:02 PM

Spoiler:

No idea what this means XD I really appreciate you trying to help me fix the problem btw! Posted Image

rs200200
    rs200200

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:08 PM

Spoiler:

I have no idea what all of this means XD I really appreciate you helping me with this issue btw!

rodabon
    rodabon

End Dweller

• Members
  • 7187 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:52 PM

The error tester can't find an install.  I don't know much about Windows 8 but it looks and sounds like your security is not letting Java connect when using the launcher.  If you can, tell windows to run the launcher as administrator.  Also put exceptions in your firewall and antivirus for minecraft.exe and javaw.exe

It sounds like when you got the browser to download the files that the blackscreen may be a graphics support related issue.  I wouldn't worry about that until you can get the launcher to at least connect and download the files and see what happens after that.
Re: 3D Minecraft - Anyone tried it?
by c0yote  

I tried it with terrible results. I gave my wife my glasses for a second, a creeper showed up and now my wife is pregnant.
Stupid 3D..

rs200200
    rs200200

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:44 PM

Thank you! I will try what you said :)

rs200200
    rs200200

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:09 PM

I have just tried what you suggested and minecraft still opens in a strange application with the java symbol and incorrect layout as shown on my original post with the screenshot. Any other solutions or is anyone having the exact same problem too D:

rodabon
    rodabon

End Dweller

• Members
  • 7187 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:37 PM

You are using the minecraft.exe launcher correct?  Is it on your desktop?  Almost sounds like you might be using the minecraft.jar download to try and launch.  You are an admin on the PC?  Is the user name Nathan or Nathan! ?  Having odd characters like explanation points in the user name can cause issues.
by c0yote  

I tried it with terrible results. I gave my wife my glasses for a second, a creeper showed up and now my wife is pregnant.
Stupid 3D..

rs200200
    rs200200

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:28 PM

Absolutely, I am using the minecraft.exe aswell as it being located on the desktop now. I am also admin and the username is just Nathan with no exclamation marks or symbols in it.

rodabon
    rodabon

End Dweller

• Members
  • 7187 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:23 PM

I don't know what to tell you.  It has to be something with your security environment or a Windows 8 user settings issue.  Something in Windows seems to be stopping Java.  It can't even find your user files path.

You really should have went for the 64bit OS btw.  Half of your RAM is useless without it.
by c0yote  

Stupid 3D..

rs200200
    rs200200

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:05 PM

I do have 64 bit btw

And i have windows 8 64 bit :S

rodabon
    rodabon

End Dweller

• Members
  • 7187 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:41 PM

View Postrs200200, on 16 January 2013 - 09:05 PM, said:

I do have 64 bit btw

And i have windows 8 64 bit :S
Are you certain?  Odd how the tester doesn't recognize it as 64bit.  Have you tried getting Java 64bit instead of 32bit then?  The tester says you have 32bit Java.
by c0yote  

Stupid 3D..

rs200200
    rs200200

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:37 PM

I have both as i use chrome so i downloaded both 32 and 64 bit java.

rodabon
    rodabon

End Dweller

• Members
  • 7187 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:36 PM

Right click the launcher and see what path for Java it's using.  If it's your 32bit java you should alter the path to point at your 64 bit java's exe file.
by c0yote  

Stupid 3D..