• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

How to make a Spider Jockey "Spawner"

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

BloodyPhoenix

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:11 AM

(I am fully aware I could have put this elsewhere, but I figured I'd keep this interesting find for the people who check this quiet section of the forums.)

A good while back I found an interesting method of finding a lot more Spider Jockeys than one usually would.
Who cares?
Not many, to be honest, but it does have great bragging rights when you have 15 as opposed to your friends' 2.

Of course the original was built before experience existed in our game, but now this makes a much less boring and more explosive- and ore-proof way to gain XP than standing in a dungeon/spawner or beating up pretty rocks...both of which I personally hate.

Enough beating around the bush, you're probably wondering how to make a device that spawns Spider Jockeys.
Well, you can't, but what I found increases the odds of finding one to about 1 per night--That's a lot compared to regular hunting,even on Flatlands.

Instructions and such:

Spoiler:

Pros and cons:
Spoiler:

Statistics:

Spoiler:

The finished product:
Spoiler:

--I am not responsible for any gravity- or arachnid-based deaths you receive.--
Posted Image
Posted Image
Artist found here.

Register or log in to remove.

boxanata
    boxanata

Ghast Hunter

• Members
  • 2729 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:06 PM

So how does this work, & how does it spawn Spider Jockeys?

Posted Image

DMSiafu
    DMSiafu

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 443 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:49 PM

it seems that spiders spawn at build height limit, and not other mobs, and if you spawn enough spiders, you're bound to get spider jockies... unless there is something i missed.

View PostNose_Job_For_a_Cowboy, on 16 December 2012 - 03:47 AM, said:

Redstone theory is, "**** this, my brain hurts."
My Terra-form Map, An almost comletely solo project since the November 2012 bug fix

BloodyPhoenix

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:46 AM

View Postboxanata, on 14 January 2013 - 07:06 PM, said:

So how does this work, & how does it spawn Spider Jockeys?

View PostDMSiafu, on 14 January 2013 - 09:49 PM, said:

it seems that spiders spawn at build height limit, and not other mobs, and if you spawn enough spiders, you're bound to get spider jockies... unless there is something i missed.

Question answered.
Only Spiders spawn at the max height, and Jockeys are a part of spiders and not skeletons.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Artist found here.

Qu1cks1lv3r69
  • Minecraft: qu1cks1lv3r69
  • Xbox:Qu1ckSilv3r69

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:17 AM

wow thats awesome Bloodyphoenix

TJGory
    TJGory

Carpenter

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:25 PM

i tested this in creative mode and i made it a lot larger than you recommended and i was only getting 4 spiders at a time the size of my spider spawner was 400x400

BloodyPhoenix

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:32 AM

View PostTJGory, on 15 January 2013 - 11:25 PM, said:

i tested this in creative mode and i made it a lot larger than you recommended and i was only getting 4 spiders at a time the size of my spider spawner was 400x400

I have done this twice in vanilla survival, and both have worked in perfection.
Make sure the area under it is lit, so all the monsters aren't down there instead.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Artist found here.

TJGory
    TJGory

Carpenter

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:09 AM

View PostBloodyPhoenix, on 16 January 2013 - 12:32 AM, said:

I have done this twice in vanilla survival, and both have worked in perfection.
Make sure the area under it is lit, so all the monsters aren't down there instead.
thanks the area underneath was not lit and there was alot of mobs spawning underneath.

BloodyPhoenix

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:28 AM

View PostTJGory, on 16 January 2013 - 01:09 AM, said:

thanks the area underneath was not lit and there was alot of mobs spawning underneath.

The platform doubles as a 24/7 night-time on the underside. Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Artist found here.

Deskepticon

Posted 05 June 2013 - 05:31 PM

It seems like the best place to build this would be over an ocean biome... a very large ocean biome. I build traditional mob systems in oceans because it cuts down on outside spawns and keeps them in the system.

Great idea. I would not have thought of it. Good Job. Keep up the good work. 'Atta boy.
Is that enough praise for you?   :)

THE_ZIPPER
  • Minecraft: bobaroni
  • Xbox:THE KINGZ DEATH

Posted 06 June 2013 - 07:24 PM

sweet im gonna hav to try it next time im playing minecraft

GO Hard Or Just Fail

Monkey_butt_
  • Minecraft: Monkey_butt_
  • Xbox:ded potato

Posted 16 June 2013 - 02:09 PM

All it looks like is a giant roof, I mean if your high and you have a roof like that u r likely to get supercharged creepers when it thunders and trust me, the u are in trouble! Posted Image

JeepinHank

Posted 17 June 2013 - 03:40 PM

View PostMonkey_butt_, on 16 June 2013 - 02:09 PM, said:

All it looks like is a giant roof, I mean if your high and you have a roof like that u r likely to get supercharged creepers when it thunders and trust me, the u are in trouble! Posted Image

That's why its built at build-limit.  Spiders are the only thing that will spawn that high up, so you shouldn't have to worry about creepers spawning (there) in the first place.

Ryans_ninja

Posted 20 June 2013 - 12:24 AM

They can also spawn in a 1x1 space.  So you can keep them from walking around by putting up walls/pillars

der3
    der3

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 03:20 PM

you can spawn one!!! i right clicked a spider egg a 100 or 15 or 30 times i found many of em