349 replies to this topic

Vazkii
    Vazkii

Ghast Hunter

• Members
  • 2529 posts
  • Minecraft: Vazkii

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:09 PM

PRE-5a is out, changelog in usual location. This version ports the mod over to 1.5. Also, from this version onwards, the mod is compiled for runtime obfuscation, this means it will run on every single MC version from 1.5 onwards without needing any code changes, case no major code changes in the vanilla code happen, and that's awesome, you should thank cpw for that ;)

Posted Image Posted ImagePosted Image

I make mods... Check out my website or Twitter. If you like my mods consider supporting me on Patreon.

Register or log in to remove.

Vazkii
    Vazkii

Ghast Hunter

• Members
  • 2529 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 02:31 PM

PRE-5b is out now, fixes some bugs present in PRE-5a.

I make mods... Check out my website or Twitter. If you like my mods consider supporting me on Patreon.

MassGamezBe

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:28 PM

Wow man respect i think it even looks better than thaumcraft :)

CosmicWind

Posted 21 March 2013 - 04:12 AM

great mod...love the idea behind it and the sys u have set up for the magic is sweet.  here's my prob...for some reason in nei the items related to this mod all says "missing texture".  i did a quick scan of the forum and did not notice another instance of this.  so if someone could give me an idea of what i may be doing wrong id be thankful.  by the way the only mods i have in right now are nei, elemental tinker, forge, optifine. and rei's map all for minecraft 1.5.  thanks again

Nevermind...after messing around with my mods it seems the issue is optifine.

chif_ii
    chif_ii

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 215 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 08:02 PM

Bug report! Game crashed when I tried to view the research for Elemental Tinkering. I think it's something to do with research you haven't solved yet.

Spoiler:

Mod idea - Enderarmor

Vazkii
    Vazkii

Ghast Hunter

• Members
  • 2529 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 08:21 PM

View Postchif_ii, on 21 March 2013 - 08:02 PM, said:

Bug report! Game crashed when I tried to view the research for Elemental Tinkering. I think it's something to do with research you haven't solved yet.

Spoiler:

Seems like it's an incompatibility with the Extended Workbench mod by the looks of it.

tolerantUsurper
  • Minecraft: tolerantUsurper

Posted 23 March 2013 - 05:47 AM

The mod looks fantastic. The models themselves are cool, and the spells and particles are very vanilla, much like Thaumcraft's effects. I certainly hope this is the visual route you continue on taking.

However, a lot of the things seem very underpowered for how difficult this mod is. Namely, finding Elementium is a pain. While it's amazing when you find that large deposit of glowing fruity-pebbles to exploit for yourself, it's a rare find, and the "detector" just doesn't cut.

Certainly, you could make a mob grinder to get dust, but I've never really been good at that, and I don't want to be.

Then, there's the research. I love the Elementalist's Desk, since even if you fail to get an elemental tome, you still get a vanilla enchantment book sometimes.
However, researching theories sucks. Big time. I'd understand the puzzles if it were some major discovery, but having to do an irritating slide-puzzle for every minor catalyst, which can barely be used, really stinks.

I'd imagine the system is subject to change, but if not, I'm hopeful there'll be a lot more useful things to use catalysts for.

As I said before, I love the vanilla look for the spells; It makes them fit in a bit more, unlike some bits of Ars Magica. Although, I'd really like to see the passives have their own effects.

The UI though, as pretty as it looks, could use some tweaking. Maybe it's just Feed The Beast cluttering a lot of my keybinds, but having to switch clockwise all the time through spells is annoying, and having the little pentagram constantly showing gets in the way.

Other than these things, which I'm positive were going to be addressed anyways, this mod looks great, and I'm happy to have another aspiring mod to tie into my TC3 and Ars Magica combo.

Some suggestions:

Elemental Wands that work on their own. I'd love to see the wands have their own kind of basic attack without having to research spells.

Elemental specialization; Some kind of high-tier research that you could only choose one branch of. Maybe a multi-block structure like Ars Magica's Nexuses that lock you out of the other kinds, but you gain new spells, new toys, and some sweet elemental themed decor as well.

As you were originally working on a RIFT: Planes of Telara mod for Minecraft, a lot of content from that could easily tie in, especially elemental dimensions.

Vazkii
    Vazkii

Ghast Hunter

• Members
  • 2529 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 03:57 PM

View PosttolerantUsurper, on 23 March 2013 - 05:47 AM, said:

Then, there's the research. I love the Elementalist's Desk, since even if you fail to get an elemental tome, you still get a vanilla enchantment book sometimes.
However, researching theories sucks. Big time. I'd understand the puzzles if it were some major discovery, but having to do an irritating slide-puzzle for every minor catalyst, which can barely be used, really stinks.

I'd imagine the system is subject to change, but if not, I'm hopeful there'll be a lot more useful things to use catalysts for.

Some suggestions:

Elemental Wands that work on their own. I'd love to see the wands have their own kind of basic attack without having to research spells.

Elemental specialization; Some kind of high-tier research that you could only choose one branch of. Maybe a multi-block structure like Ars Magica's Nexuses that lock you out of the other kinds, but you gain new spells, new toys, and some sweet elemental themed decor as well.

As you were originally working on a RIFT: Planes of Telara mod for Minecraft, a lot of content from that could easily tie in, especially elemental dimensions.

The Research system is getting changed the next release actually. I'm adding a new puzzle style to the research, because, I do agree, doing over 60 slide puzzles can get very annoying.

I'm not making elemental wands with specific spells, I dislike the idea of having to carry various items with similar functions, that's the main reason why I went for the attuner system rather than having various wands or scrolls as in Ars Magica.

The idea of Elemenetal specialization was something already planned, but I'm not entirely sure how I'm going to tackle it.

And it's good to hear, that there's someone that still remembers that mod. There's some bits reminiscent from it in this mod too, for example, the sprite for the elementalist's lexicon comes from it.

for_da_win

Posted 23 March 2013 - 08:21 PM

Is there a better level to find elementium ore?? or a more specific biome?

Vazkii
    Vazkii

Ghast Hunter

• Members
  • 2529 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:13 AM

Another fix release, PRE-5c, fixes some important bugs that were present in old versions, tweaks some stuff and adds a new config option.
Changelog available in the usual place.

for_da_win

Posted 24 March 2013 - 01:12 PM

The elemental detector does not work.

Vazkii
    Vazkii

Ghast Hunter

• Members
  • 2529 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 01:27 PM

View Postfor_da_win, on 24 March 2013 - 01:12 PM, said:

The elemental detector does not work.

How so? It'll detect it, not point you to it.

bigDon_001
  • Minecraft: bigDon_001

Posted 24 March 2013 - 01:30 PM

Looks good :Diamond:
Posted Image

for_da_win

Posted 25 March 2013 - 02:14 AM

View PostVazkii, on 24 March 2013 - 01:27 PM, said:

How so? It'll detect it, not point you to it.
I know that but when i walk over elementium ore it won't light up

Mr_boness
    Mr_boness

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 992 posts
  • Minecraft: mr_boness

Posted 25 March 2013 - 06:54 AM

Love it! In the process of making a modpack and a server with it, does this work on SMP? Mind sending me a message giving me a few details?
You should really check out the Runestones mod, it's amazing, and has my full support and attention. Who wouldn't want to shoot fireballs?

Vazkii
    Vazkii

Ghast Hunter

• Members
  • 2529 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 03:42 PM

View Postfor_da_win, on 25 March 2013 - 02:14 AM, said:

I know that but when i walk over elementium ore it won't light up

It won't work in superflat worlds, since it won't detect under the level of the ore genereation.

for_da_win

Posted 25 March 2013 - 06:57 PM

View PostVazkii, on 25 March 2013 - 03:42 PM, said:

It won't work in superflat worlds, since it won't detect under the level of the ore genereation.
Its in a regular world

Vazkii
    Vazkii

Ghast Hunter

• Members
  • 2529 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 08:28 PM

View Postfor_da_win, on 25 March 2013 - 06:57 PM, said:

Its in a regular world

It won't detect properly if there's only 1 block below you. And it won't detect if you're too far away from it or over the worldgen range).

Lickis
    Lickis

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 08:29 PM

Would you be willing to consider tweaking the 'expense' of the recipes at all? You've got some very steep costs to make things in here. To give an example, I'll compare to Thaumcraft, since alot of others seem to do this:

TC - You can get started with one shard of vis (any) that drops from any 1 Thaumcraft ore block, one nugget of gold and one stick. Difficulty for a vanilla player with no mods, no exploits to obtain: Easy

ET - You can get started with 4 sticks and one elemental gem which is either you get lucky tracking down a very rare ore deposit (and run the chance of fighting a silverfish or two that take 3-4 hits from a diamond sword) or kill roughly 50 enemies (1 in 25 chance of dropping dust) for 2 dust and add one Diamond. Difficulty for a vanilla player with no mods, no exploits to obtain: Very Hard (Due to diamonds and rarity of the ore and danger in obtaining)

I say all of the above as a player that doesn't use umpteen mods to make things easier to get, that I don't like using OP tools to get the job done... and I don't live Minecraft. I enjoy it very casually from time to time and when it becomes too much work, I remove myself from it. I enjoy digging and mining and working for my rewards, cause it makes my rewards all the sweeter to see when my redstone boat launcher and fishing dock spits out boats without shattering them and such. This said, I do have limits to how hard I'll work for something (See sentence before previous).

The TC recipe gives you an upgradable item that is fundemental to use throughout your time playing it, while ET gives a detection rod that is sort of picky based on what kind of world you're in and whether or not certain circumstances are met :/ The next step in the process compares similarly... make a cauldron, tap with the wand and BAM, cauldron to start brewing in TC. Didn't find one of those rare ore veins in ET? Get pushing, bub. Teh TCers are ahead of you already, and don't forget your Detection Rod...

I understand that farms and codes and mods are available to easily supply the materials and render my complaints pointless, and that general public sentiment may be "you bring it on yourself if you're not doing these things". But even the reviewers that review your mods say the costs get steeper as it goes along. While someone can be deep into some of prettier, more advanced and useful aspects of Thaumcraft and going "wow, this is fun!" as they have golems zipping around doing some of the more menial work for them, people might still be slogging through Elemental Tinkerer mid-levels, cursing the 30th slide puzzle they've had to do and saying "Why?? I've got the mats, I sat and waited on the progress bar and you STILL have me doing a puzzle for a chance of failure at this!" Then they do the Angry Faic, say 'f-this' and input teh cheat that unlocks all research.

I only say all this cause I personally hate extreme grinds and while I really do love the concept of your work, its potential and I "Ohhhhh" and "Ahhhh" at some of the shininess, in the end I just don't feel motivated cause of the amount of work it seems to be based on in the reviews. And my opinions are based on the early stuff, not the later stuff (tho the glowstone air is very pretty and very tempting and it breaks my heart to hear the reviewer say "wow, this is a massively expensive recipe" ). I just have the habit of feeling that if something is more work than play, then what's the point of doing it in order to play? And in the last page alone on this thread, I see someone else shares my feelings on the matter. Just a lil feedback... or alot. Damn, I'm long winded -.-
Posted Image

Vazkii
    Vazkii

Ghast Hunter

• Members
  • 2529 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 01:40 PM

View PostLickis, on 26 March 2013 - 08:29 PM, said:

Would you be willing to consider tweaking the 'expense' of the recipes at all? You've got some very steep costs to make things in here. To give an example, I'll compare to Thaumcraft, since alot of others seem to do this:

-snip-

Lots of the mechanics for the mod are really still being planned out, currently, I, along many people, am not satisfied with either the research puzzles or the ore distribution. The last one already had quite a few tweaks, but I never managed to get it right yet. I do like the idea of having a huge vein you get to mine, but I have not found an effective way to make the player go on a quest per say to find it.

When it comes to the research puzzle, yeah, that isn't exactly the most brilliant idea I've ever had. I want some sort of intermediate puzzle to complete the research, it really fits the lore of the mod, but the only thing I actually managed to come up with is the current puzzle, I'm still plotting something better, but I haven't thought of anything very interesting for it yet.