Jump to content

  • Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Money-making ideas?


  • This topic is locked This topic is locked
36 replies to this topic

#21

Mhyles
    Mhyles

    Glowstone Miner

  • Members
  • 3109 posts
  • Location: Ireland
  • Minecraft: Mhyles

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:04 PM

View PostBKrenz, on 12 January 2013 - 06:00 PM, said:

'twas Xinverse.

You screwed up your grammar as well, Mhyles. Posted Image

Hands are freezing. :P

Register or log in to remove.

#22

BKrenz
    BKrenz

    Last Guardian of SCT

  • Sectional Moderator
  • 4595 posts
  • Location: SCT Forums

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:09 PM

View PostMhyles, on 12 January 2013 - 06:04 PM, said:

Hands are freezing. Posted Image

Cuddle with your kitty for a little while :D
"Programmers never repeat themselves. They loop."

#23

JoeTheTechPro

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:36 PM

What other guy? o-o
DraconBane is a friend of mine.

#24

BKrenz
    BKrenz

    Last Guardian of SCT

  • Sectional Moderator
  • 4595 posts
  • Location: SCT Forums

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:39 PM

View PostJoeTheTechPro, on 12 January 2013 - 06:36 PM, said:

What other guy? o-o
DraconBane is a friend of mine.

I've literally said his name twice now.
"Programmers never repeat themselves. They loop."

#25

JoeTheTechPro

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:43 PM

View PostBKrenz, on 12 January 2013 - 06:39 PM, said:

I've literally said his name twice now.

Oh right, Xinverse. Who's Xinverse, I've seen him in a thread once o-o

And Mhyles, I don't know about you, but I'm gunna start getting annoyed if you call me naive one more time, especially since you're younger than me. Please, if you don't have anything but off-topic and insulting posts to add to the thread, leave. Thanks.

#26

fm87
    fm87

    Beyond the Horizon

  • Members
  • 22016 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:11 PM

Get a job at a local computer repair place.

You will never make money on your own, especially if you're under 18. The returns on hardware are so low you would spend more on shipping/handling or gas.

#27

JoeTheTechPro

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:20 PM

View Postfm87, on 12 January 2013 - 07:11 PM, said:

Get a job at a local computer repair place.

You will never make money on your own, especially if you're under 18. The returns on hardware are so low you would spend more on shipping/handling or gas.

I don't know about this, I believe I have to be 18.

Anyways, I'll just offer around my services to my neighbourhood:
-Building
-Hardware advice (Need to practise to not be biased)
-Inspecting.

I'll probably charge cheap to undercut tech stores, just for a little bit of side cash.

#28

Mhyles
    Mhyles

    Glowstone Miner

  • Members
  • 3109 posts
  • Location: Ireland
  • Minecraft: Mhyles

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:33 PM

View PostJoeTheTechPro, on 12 January 2013 - 06:36 PM, said:

What other guy? o-o
DraconBane is a friend of mine.

Hmm. So that's why when you had the account Xiverse your name was Joey and DraconBone used to address you by Joey, and now that you made the new account he's callin you Joey. Don't try to lie..

View PostJoeTheTechPro, on 12 January 2013 - 07:20 PM, said:

I don't know about this, I believe I have to be 18.

Anyways, I'll just offer around my services to my neighbourhood:
-Building
-Hardware advice (Need to practise to not be biased)
-Inspecting.

I'll probably charge cheap to undercut tech stores, just for a little bit of side cash.

Again, too many risks involved.

View PostJoeTheTechPro, on 12 January 2013 - 06:43 PM, said:

Oh right, Xinverse. Who's Xinverse, I've seen him in a thread once o-o

And Mhyles, I don't know about you, but I'm gunna start getting annoyed if you call me naive one more time, especially since you're younger than me. Please, if you don't have anything but off-topic and insulting posts to add to the thread, leave. Thanks.

Insulting? I'm being blunt. The only way your going to get anywhere in that industry is by being blunt. It's not my fault you can't take it. Your obviously naive if you think you can start a business at 15.

#29

fm87
    fm87

    Beyond the Horizon

  • Members
  • 22016 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:35 PM

Usually for an entry level tech job at a computer store, you do not need to be 18. You do however need to sign a waiver/get your parents to sign one, depending on your state.

You cannot undercut stores. They buy in bulk from OEMs to the point where if you were to even just match their prices you would be losing money. Let alone undercutting them.

Again, this does not really work for "a little bit of side cash" unless you strictly do it in your local 1-2 blocks worth of a neighborhood.

However, even then, your market is so small, and most people do not really trust people of your age, you unfortunately won't make much.

#30

BKrenz
    BKrenz

    Last Guardian of SCT

  • Sectional Moderator
  • 4595 posts
  • Location: SCT Forums

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:38 PM

Your rant wasn't as good as the last one fm. :(
"Programmers never repeat themselves. They loop."

#31

fm87
    fm87

    Beyond the Horizon

  • Members
  • 22016 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:43 PM

I have it copypasta'd in case I need to reference it again.

#32

BKrenz
    BKrenz

    Last Guardian of SCT

  • Sectional Moderator
  • 4595 posts
  • Location: SCT Forums

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:45 PM

View Postfm87, on 12 January 2013 - 07:43 PM, said:

I have it copypasta'd in case I need to reference it again.

Yay :D
"Programmers never repeat themselves. They loop."

#33

Mhyles
    Mhyles

    Glowstone Miner

  • Members
  • 3109 posts
  • Location: Ireland
  • Minecraft: Mhyles

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:45 PM

Am I the only one getting suspicous at this person? He seems too like Xinverse to not be him. Same name, same talk, same subject, same grammar..

#34

JoeTheTechPro

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:42 PM

I'm sorry, this is annoying me now (Not Fm's part, but thank your for the advice anyway, I can tell you sound experienced, what do you do currently? I'll ask around some tech stores if they have any available jobs for someone of my age.)

Mhlyes, please go away, you left the topic a long time ago so leave the thread aswell.
I'm not Xinverse, I don't know who Xinverse is and obviously you had something against that kid.
The fact that we have the same name and grammar is purely coincidence, and this topic was based off the fact that I am currently saving for college and university and need some extra money for things that I may want.

Also, you really need to get your head straight, you're 14 and trying to take on a 15 year old. I don't give a ­ if you think you're all 'that' online, but you won't be saying 'you're obviously naive' and 'I'm being blunt' to the person that smacks you round the ­ing face. I apologize for using this kind of language but you're not taking in anything else. For the last time; thank you.

#35

Mhyles
    Mhyles

    Glowstone Miner

  • Members
  • 3109 posts
  • Location: Ireland
  • Minecraft: Mhyles

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:02 PM

View PostJoeTheTechPro, on 12 January 2013 - 08:42 PM, said:

I'm sorry, this is annoying me now (Not Fm's part, but thank your for the advice anyway, I can tell you sound experienced, what do you do currently? I'll ask around some tech stores if they have any available jobs for someone of my age.)

Mhlyes, please go away, you left the topic a long time ago so leave the thread aswell.
I'm not Xinverse, I don't know who Xinverse is and obviously you had something against that kid.
The fact that we have the same name and grammar is purely coincidence, and this topic was based off the fact that I am currently saving for college and university and need some extra money for things that I may want.

Also, you really need to get your head straight, you're 14 and trying to take on a 15 year old. I don't give a ­ if you think you're all 'that' online, but you won't be saying 'you're obviously naive' and 'I'm being blunt' to the person that smacks you round the ­ing face. I apologize for using this kind of language but you're not taking in anything else. For the last time; thank you.

Wait your saving for college at 15? You realise that you can get student loans, so what your doing it pretty much pointless? By telling me that you'd 'smack' me around the face, makes you look really mature and FYI I'm as blunt to you on here as I am in real life. If your going to 'smack' someone in the face for being honest and blunt to you, good luck in the business industry, because obviously you'll be 'slapping' your customers who have complaints. You also contradicted yourself by that I'm acting as if 'I'm it' and yet, you said you'd smack me around the face.

The thing is, your never going to be able to start a business if you act in real life like you do online. That's the truth.

#36

BKrenz
    BKrenz

    Last Guardian of SCT

  • Sectional Moderator
  • 4595 posts
  • Location: SCT Forums

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:07 PM

Both of you need to just stop arguing. Let it be.

If Joe isn't Xinverse, fine. If he is, he obviously won't admit it. So leave it alone.

College is ridiculously expensive. I'm paying $24,000 a year, after loans and everything. I've had people saving for me my entire life, and I only have enough to finish this year out. I have no idea what I'm doing after this. Starting to save now is a great idea.

However, both of you are acting extremely immature about this argument. Joe, age has nothing to do with this. Mhyles is completely able to handle himself in this forum, and from what I've seen so far, can give proper advice and evidence, while being respectful. Being 15 and him being 14 has absolutely nothing to do with this conversation.  Those are just made up numbers, for all we know.
"Programmers never repeat themselves. They loop."

#37

JoeTheTechPro

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:11 PM

View PostMhyles, on 12 January 2013 - 09:02 PM, said:

Wait your saving for college at 15? You realise that you can get student loans, so what your doing it pretty much pointless? By telling me that you'd 'smack' me around the face, makes you look really mature and FYI I'm as blunt to you on here as I am in real life. If your going to 'smack' someone in the face for being honest and blunt to you, good luck in the business industry, because obviously you'll be 'slapping' your customers who have complaints. You also contradicted yourself by that I'm acting as if 'I'm it' and yet, you said you'd smack me around the face.

The thing is, your never going to be able to start a business if you act in real life like you do online. That's the truth.

I can't be asked to argue with the kid.

Can some admin or something delete the thread? I've got pretty much everything I need from it.
Thanks for advice BK and fm.