• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

How much RAM for a FTB server?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

spaceagent66

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:29 PM

I am thinking of buying a feed the beast server with some friends, however was not sure how much RAM I should get with it. I already have a 600 mb vanilla server with multiplay game servers, however to get a FTB server they recommend 1536 mb for a tekkit server, which I am assuming to be the same for FTB. I was just wondering, is this amount of RAM actually needed as to purchase a 1536 mb server from multiplay it costs over £100 for 6 months, which does not really seem worth it. So, does anyone know either the amount of RAM needed for a FTB server which will be running with 4-8 pepole at the most, or anywhere else I can buy a FTB server from for a better price? :)

Register or log in to remove.

Creeperhost_Luke

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:42 PM

It's not Ram you need to worry about, it's your CPU you need to worry about. They're misleading users into thinking Ram is needed mainly for these modpacks, which is completely wrong. Ram does play a part in it though, especially when using chunkloaders and spawning new mystcraft ages. But your main worry should be CPU.

I've seen users on our Zombie package get 14 users on with Mindcrack, other times, I've seen people barely fit 8 users on. It completely depends on the usage of your server, how large the map is; amount of chunk loaders active; the amount of machines; production...there's just so much to consider.

Hope that helps you.

Posted Image
I am a representative of CreeperHost

Vorksholk
    Vorksholk

Zombie Killer

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 221 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:49 PM

View Postspaceagent66, on 11 January 2013 - 09:29 PM, said:

I am thinking of buying a feed the beast server with some friends, however was not sure how much RAM I should get with it. I already have a 600 mb vanilla server with multiplay game servers, however to get a FTB server they recommend 1536 mb for a tekkit server, which I am assuming to be the same for FTB. I was just wondering, is this amount of RAM actually needed as to purchase a 1536 mb server from multiplay it costs over £100 for 6 months, which does not really seem worth it. So, does anyone know either the amount of RAM needed for a FTB server which will be running with 4-8 pepole at the most, or anywhere else I can buy a FTB server from for a better price? Posted Image

As far as your RAM question, I like to recommend at least 1GB to run FTB well. What creeper host said is also very true, you have to have a good CPU as well.

To your question about price, for £5 a month, (£30 for 6 months), VPSCraft can rent you a 2GB server running on an Intel Xeon1230V2 that supports FTB, if you are interested.
http://www.vpscraft.net : $27/month for 8GB RAM, Dedicated E3-1245V2 core (With HT, 2 logical cores), 20GB SSD, 64-bit CentOS. Contact us for a free 2-day trial!

spaceagent66

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:58 PM

Thanks for the help. I am certainly interested with the VPScraft, however I will talk with my friends about it as we are not decided if we want to get a FTB server, I just wanted to know what the price and requirements would be for one.

Eoin@ClanSlots
  • Minecraft: cookednoodles

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:13 PM

The CPU the host uses is pretty irrelevant. Lets imagine 2 hosts.

Both hosts use an E3-1230v2

Host 1 :
Sells 1gig ram for 10 pounds a month, and has 10 users per server.
Host 2:
Sells 1gig ram for 5 pounds a month and has 20 users per server.

Both hosts use exactly the same cpu and make the same profit, yet one will generally perform a lot better than the other. Its also why a lot of companies like your existing one charge per player too, it helps keep a stable server usage as opposed to stupidly just charging for ram.
Posted Image
I am a representative of ClanSlots (and an amazing one at that). Amazing game servers for intelligent and sexy people since 2009.

jjservers

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:53 PM

I would recommend 1GB with minimal players.

JJServers LLC
Providing quality hosting and support

I am a representative of JJServers