Jump to content

  • Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Using other peoples' maps


  • Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1

RhaegarTargaryen707

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:10 PM

Sorry if this has been asked about before (I'm sure it has, but I couldn't find it), but I was wondering what the actual rules are about like downloading a map off a website then uploading it to your xbox?

Seems to me like some people say its against the rules and can get you banned, while others say that it won't.

Just trying to verify what the rule is; I don't want to break it without being aware of what's right.

Register or log in to remove.

#2

Mustache_Guy
  • Location: California, USA
  • Minecraft: McAngusYoung

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:30 PM

Per Microsoft's Xbox Live Terms of Use, it is an offense that could end in a ban if you are caught doing. However, the chances of Microsoft finding out about it are slim to none.

It comes down to this. Do you want to risk your Gamertag/Profile or possibly your console on the 1 in 1,000,000 chance that you could be banned for what you've done.

Quote

Terms of Use Section 1.12

You must not attempt to disassemble, decompile, create derivative works of, reverse engineer, modify, further sublicense, distribute, or use for other purposes the Services, any game, application, or other content available or accessible through the Services, or any hardware associated with the Services or with an Authorized Device. If you do, we may cancel your account and your ability to access the Services, and pursue other legal remedies. We may take any legal action we deem appropriate against users who violate our systems or network security, this Agreement or any additional terms incorporated or referenced in it. Such users may also incur criminal or civil liability.

http://www.xbox.com/...S/legal/livetou
Lucifer - "So you're willing to die for a pile of cockroaches? Why?"
Gabriel - "Because dad was right. They are better than us."
Lucifer - "They are broken, flawed, abortions!"
Gabriel - "Damn right they're flawed, but a lot of them try to do better."

#3

USA007
    USA007

    Gold Miner

  • Members
  • 360 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:53 PM

View PostMustache_Guy, on 11 January 2013 - 09:30 PM, said:

Per Microsoft's Xbox Live Terms of Use, it is an offense that could end in a ban if you are caught doing. However, the chances of Microsoft finding out about it are slim to none.

It comes down to this. Do you want to risk your Gamertag/Profile or possibly your console on the 1 in 1,000,000 chance that you could be banned for what you've done.



http://www.xbox.com/...S/legal/livetou
Exactly, although it is against the rules, MS isn't going to find out.

#4

KioriBug
    KioriBug

    Choc-chip Moderator

  • Sectional Moderator
  • 1900 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:16 PM

On the forums we discourage modding save files.  We can't control if people will do it, but we will not allow posts containing how to's, download links, or program tool names to help with this.

Forum Rules

~ * ~ MCX360 ~ * ~ MCPS3 ~ * ~ MCPE  ~ * ~ MCPI ~ * ~

Posted Image


#5

wolfeuk
    wolfeuk

    Nether Resident

  • Members
  • 2346 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 12:02 AM

View PostKioriBug, on 11 January 2013 - 10:16 PM, said:

On the forums we discourage modding save files.  We can't control if people will do it, but we will not allow posts containing how to's, download links, or program tool names to help with this.

so why hasnt this post being locked ?

#6

KioriBug
    KioriBug

    Choc-chip Moderator

  • Sectional Moderator
  • 1900 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:44 PM

View Postwolfeuk, on 12 January 2013 - 12:02 AM, said:

so why hasnt this post being locked ?
Asking about a rule is fine.  They didn't ask the community to help with this, and what I posted is what is not allowed on here.

Forum Rules

~ * ~ MCX360 ~ * ~ MCPS3 ~ * ~ MCPE  ~ * ~ MCPI ~ * ~

Posted Image


#7

srghg
    srghg

    Redstone Miner

  • Members
  • 518 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:48 PM

You could always send them a friend request and play legally

#8

Avinitlarge

Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:07 PM

View PostMustache_Guy, on 11 January 2013 - 09:30 PM, said:

Per Microsoft's Xbox Live Terms of Use, it is an offense that could end in a ban if you are caught doing. However, the chances of Microsoft finding out about it are slim to none.

It comes down to this. Do you want to risk your Gamertag/Profile or possibly your console on the 1 in 1,000,000 chance that you could be banned for what you've done.



http://www.xbox.com/...S/legal/livetou

Microsoft are not as strict as people think. I repair Games consoles for a living and have tried many many things and never had a console or profile ban. Ive mentioned game modding on here and my post was deleted and I had a warning from the staff. Best off looking else where to find out the full details of map sharing, modding etc

#9

srghg
    srghg

    Redstone Miner

  • Members
  • 518 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:23 PM

View PostAvinitlarge, on 12 January 2013 - 05:07 PM, said:

Microsoft are not as strict as people think. I repair Games consoles for a living and have tried many many things and never had a console or profile ban. Ive mentioned game modding on here and my post was deleted and I had a warning from the staff. Best off looking else where to find out the full details of map sharing, modding etc

It's not that they are strict so much as the randomness, it might be someone who just modded or it might be someone from a couple years ago. I just hope if you get perma banned you don't complain about how unfair it is.

#10

iCountBlocks

Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:23 PM

View Postsrghg, on 12 January 2013 - 04:48 PM, said:

You could always send them a friend request and play legally
OP asked about downloaded maps off websites. Does 50% of this forum find it funny to attempt trolling or something?...

OP, so far there is no safe/legal way to play on someone else's world (with yourself as host).

#11

Avinitlarge

Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:35 PM

View Postsrghg, on 12 January 2013 - 05:23 PM, said:

It's not that they are strict so much as the randomness, it might be someone who just modded or it might be someone from a couple years ago. I just hope if you get perma banned you don't complain about how unfair it is.

I get banned then I get banned I loose one of my XBL accounts, I do it to see how far I can push M$ to advise my customers on what to do and what not to do. I NEVER say its completely safe etc because there is always that risk. I could go further in to it but it would be completely off topic, So I will stop at that.

#12

wolfeuk
    wolfeuk

    Nether Resident

  • Members
  • 2346 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:50 PM

a friend of mine got banned for bad language, so guess you only get banned if you get reported, i doubt they have a team of guys randomly checking millions of accounts

#13

TJGory
    TJGory

    Carpenter

  • Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:03 PM

on the PC its completely legal in fact the map builders encourage it. the should be a way to download other peoples maps from the main menu ( if the map owner shares it ).

#14

USA007
    USA007

    Gold Miner

  • Members
  • 360 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:09 PM

It is all down to complaints made on your profile, the more you have the more likely/sooner MS will check you out. That is why multiplayer moderns get banned, because everyone reports them, while if someone were to mod a single player game, MS would probably never find out.

#15

iCountBlocks

Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:55 AM

View Postwolfeuk, on 12 January 2013 - 05:50 PM, said:

i doubt they have a team of guys randomly checking millions of accounts
This ^. Lol.
It sold over a million copies in the first day if I remember correctly, so millions of accounts is extremely fair to say. Even then, they might have to go deeper than just accounts and look into a saved world's files. I didn't even know you could report someone in Minecraft, lol.

#16

Octaah
    Octaah

    Out of the Water

  • Members
  • 3 posts
  • Location: Romania(moldova)
  • Xbox:Octaah

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:20 AM

They removed al his maps from minecraft of a friend of my it hapend before creativemode he was downloading infinity blocks from the pc to the xbox