Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

* * * * - 9 votes

13w02a Snapshot Ready for Testing!

• Please log in to reply
139 replies to this topic

Sacheverell

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:57 PM

Even with the official release of 1.4.7, Mojang isn't slowing down one bit - time for another Snapshot!  What sort of amazing stuff lies in store for today's preview?  Let's take a look!

• Textures for blocks and items now have individual image files
  • Improved death messages
  • Improved naming (using the anvil) of containers and mob eggs
  • Trapped chests now give off the redstone signal through walls
  • Improved hoppers and made them controllable by redstone
  • Updated language files
  • Language files can now be updated via the background downloader (no need for a new Minecraft release)

Posted Image

A Note on Textures

Starting from this snapshot and forward, blocks and items will no longer load their artwork from one big sheet of sprites. Instead, they’ll have individual files for each image they’re using. The benefit from this is that it will be easier for Mojang to support custom blocks and items in the future. It will also allow Mojang to mix and match block artwork resolutions, and make sure that you get graphics for blocks that your current texture pack isn't updated for.  Pretty awesome!

As always, get your Snapshot files below!

Client Download:  Download

Server Download:  Download

Register or log in to remove.

koolstufproductions2

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:00 PM

First step towards mod API!

x_clucky
    x_clucky

Zombie Killer

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 200 posts
  • Minecraft: x_clucky

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:00 PM

Ooo i love the idea for texture packs now!!! So happy they changed death messages now too... no more "___ withered away" anymore hopefully xD
Enjoy raiding and pvp in highly customizable and well organized groups, but hate the setup of Factions? Then check out my upcoming server containing multiple custom plugins: http://www.RisingColonies.com/

D1280
    D1280

Iron Miner

• Members
  • 310 posts
  • Minecraft: D1280

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:05 PM

Naming sounds awesome!

Posted Image

JeffDeaf
  • Minecraft: JeffDeaf

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:07 PM

Is that a TNT cart I see?

... oh glorious day. To the drawing board! There are cannons to construct! Posted Image \ (^-^)

Crawfish
    Crawfish

Blaze Extinguisher

• Members
  • 4179 posts
  • Minecraft: Crawfishness

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:10 PM

Sounds promising! Personally, I don't use the snapshots, but I like them anyway for the videos people release and being able to see what's coming for the next big update.

Posted Image

Misa
    Misa

Diamond Miner

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 756 posts
  • Minecraft: Misa

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:12 PM

Farewell, good high resolution texture packs.

Posted Image

MichealIkruhara

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:16 PM

When I try to download the snapshot client, it gives me a .zip, and when I try to download the snapshot server it gives me a .jar. Why is that?
Posted Image

Sir_Magic
  • Minecraft: Sir Magic
  • Xbox:TH3 N3RD XD

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:22 PM

Yay another update!
So happy about new blocks in different files!
I hate the "terrain.png"!
=-P
"I still don't have what it takes I must mine further!"

TheMightyAnonym
  • Minecraft: TheMightyAnonym

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:25 PM

Trapped chests send signals through walls now? So basically, a pandirectional repeater. :3
Posted Image

Samiboula
    Samiboula

Enderdragon Slayer

• Retired Staff
  • 12373 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:26 PM

When I first heard of the texture pack format changes, I wasn't too happy... but now, looking at the possibilities (different resolutions, no MCPatcher, no outdated textures), I've changed my mind c:

5thHorseman
  • Minecraft: 5thHorseman

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:30 PM

View PostMisa, on 10 January 2013 - 08:12 PM, said:

Farewell, good high resolution texture packs.

Either I don't know what you're talking about, or you don't. Possibly both.How could making texture packs simpler, easier, more expandable, and easier to maintain and modify, also signal the end of quality?
Posted Image
Did you know I write Science Fiction? Well I do. Check it out at http://planetretcon.com/books/

GrandChaos9000
  • Minecraft: GrandChaos9000

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:30 PM

Nice features and improvements, but the texture pack doesn't compatible in older of alpha, beta and final to 1.4.x version.

Actually, I've using about text editor and calculator of 16+16 (maybe 32, 64, 128 or higher) for every animation of '.png' in texture packs.

Posted Image

Aridhol
    Aridhol

Iron Miner

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • Minecraft: joshcantrell08

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:36 PM

Amazing features.... I am surprised no one has mentioned this....(when I was writing this, that is...) HOPPER IMPROVEMENTS!!!!!

Furnace:
Sideways-Fed Hopper = Fuel Slot
Top-Fed Hopper = Input Slot
Bottom-Fed Hopper = Output Slot

Yes, this means FULLY AUTOMATED SMELTING! And its EASY! I have GREAT screenshots, but not sure how to post them...

Brewing? Totally doable! It has to be controlled a ton more, but it still completely works! You need to use a redstone signal to power-off a hopper so you can control inputs, but with a timer system I am sure you can set up a great fully automatic brewing machine Posted Image

Its excellent, and the quartz blocks look awesome...

View Post5thHorseman, on 10 January 2013 - 08:30 PM, said:

Either I don't know what you're talking about, or you don't. Possibly both.How could making texture packs simpler, easier, more expandable, and easier to maintain and modify, also signal the end of quality?

Yeah, this.

Why would this hamper HD Textures? This makes it EASIER, by not having to have those TERRIBLE spreadsheets (I have hated them for a long time!), instead you have individual, small files, so having a texture pack that only edits a very small number of items/blocks (say, an armor texture pack! or, just an ores texture pack, etc etc) just got incredibly easy!

Yes, it will take a LITTLE bit of adjustment by texture pack creators, but existing texture packs just have to copy+paste their textures into the new individual file system and they will work perfectly fine! This also should make texture packs that support MODS much easier to make too! That's the part I am excited about :)

SINaddict
    SINaddict

The Meaning of Life, the Universe, and Everything...

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:46 PM

Cool snapshot, I'm loving the new blocks (Block of Quartz, Chiseled Quartz Block, Pillar Quartz Block, Quartz Stairs, Quartz Slab) \o/

Rufus
    Rufus

Nether Resident

• Members
  • 2231 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:46 PM

Some great little tweaks in this week's snapshot, but one thing stands supreme over all; villagers can now be named. F'ing awesome.

Oh, and for a builder like me the different quartz blocks are pretty amazing too.
Posted Image

Ikor
    Ikor

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • Minecraft: Ikor_Genorio

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:47 PM

the Dispensers look like Furnaces...

Anyway cool snapshot!

Danielboyz
  • Minecraft: danielboyz

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:47 PM

View PostJCan, on 10 January 2013 - 08:36 PM, said:

Yes, it will take a LITTLE bit of adjustment by texture pack creators, but existing texture packs just have to copy+paste their textures into the new individual file system and they will work perfectly fine! This also should make texture packs that support MODS much easier to make too! That's the part I am excited about Posted Image

If i remember correctly dinnerbone even wrote a converter

Andor
    Andor

Iron Miner

• Members
  • 327 posts
  • Minecraft: and0r1995

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:48 PM

Nice changes and new features. But I think they should work abit more before they release any snaphots or updates. There are too many updates, with a small about of changes.

With this I'm not saying they should slow down, but they shouldn't release a snapshot with 5 changes. At least add more then 10 bug fixes then release it.

-and0r1995
Check out my website - Gamemods.info

Bogy_Mac
    Bogy_Mac

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 38 posts
  • Minecraft: BogyMac

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:54 PM

Yikes, loads of comments already!  I was up this mornin' trying out the Snapshot, it is totally awesome guys, give it a try......I mean, RIGHT NOW!!!

-Bogy
The fact of the matter is......what you see it as, but not only what you see it as, but how you see it as.