• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

kutagh
    kutagh

Coal Miner

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 12:50 AM

Yes, I know that Notch already wants this. However, I just want to inform Notch how to do it.

The FAQ for selling a game on Steam

I'll summarize:
Send a demo of the game to [email protected] plus the press coverage about Minecraft, information about release date and target price. They accept alpha/beta stage as long as it shows what the final art and gameplay will feel like (and I think the current alpha stage and creative/classic mode will give them a good idea already).

About payments, Notch would likely receive every month the sum of the sales minus commission. Steam has already several methods for payment in place, including the security. The target price might have to be raised to €15 if the loss per sale is an issue, but that is up to Notch. Using the Steam would give users the option of 5 different brands of creditcards without using Paypal, Paypal or ClickandBuy (which supports a lot of other options as well).

Things that would have to be done:
Change the account system to work with keys
Negiotate with Steam
Perhaps optimize the map saves system for Steam cloud.

Advantages:
If you would implement Steamcloud then you could actually have both the user settings AND the maps synched automatically.
Advertising on Steam
If Notch turns Classic (or basically everything that the not paying customers get) in a stand-alone client as well then Notch could put it as a demo in the Steam Library.

Register or log in to remove.

Lordofq
    Lordofq

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 578 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 01:09 AM

He doesn't really want to become betrothed to anything until beta.  The target price for the full game is 20 (However you make the euro sign).  We just get half price for delicious Alpha.

facemywrath

Posted 15 July 2010 - 03:43 AM

i think it is a nice idea, make it so you sell alpha on steam and make beta called Demo
demos are free and you can sell alpha for 13$ or 10€
1  [Sheep]  2  [Pig]  3  [Zombie]  4  [SSSS]  5  [iapprove]

facemywrath said:

Damn griefers, they get smarter every day!

Equ1n0x
    Equ1n0x

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 04:01 AM

If steam takes minecraft notch will have to deal with the tens of thousand sof people who already bought game outside of steam.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Equ1N0X-RedStone Engineer and Cybernetic architect.

facemywrath

Posted 15 July 2010 - 04:03 AM

so? he can gift it to people or something, i mean its a great idea and all but that is a good thing to point out equinox...

facemywrath said:

Ninjarooster

Posted 15 July 2010 - 04:14 AM

During the Stream, Notch said he wanted Minecraft on Steam. It couldn't be that difficult right? Just have a person "register" Minecraft by entering their information on Steam and Minecraft.net.

Invertin said:

Every now and again you should explode

Keep the players on their toes

facemywrath

Posted 15 July 2010 - 04:17 AM

good point... give each individual who bought the game a special pm on the website saying a code, that code will be registerable in the minecraft on steam, register it so you can use it on steam also (if you want)

HOW BOUT THIS
he adds it but you dont have to buy it there
he has it downloadable off the website
so just upload it as an "other" game

facemywrath said:

Equ1n0x
    Equ1n0x

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 04:18 AM

facemywrath said:

good point... give each individual who bought the game a special pm on the website saying a code, that code will be registerable in the minecraft on steam, register it so you can use it on steam also (if you want)

HOW BOUT THIS
he adds it but you dont have to buy it there
he has it downloadable off the website
so just upload it as an "other" game
i like that second suggestion, keep it updated on steam and website.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Equ1N0X-RedStone Engineer and Cybernetic architect.

kutagh
    kutagh

Coal Miner

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 01:47 PM

Again:
Account keys. Basically like with Call of Duty Modern Warfare. You buy the game through Steam, it gives you a key (out of the list that Notch gives to Steam) and Steam shows the website where you can register the key to an account.
The users that already have purchased Minecraft already got an account. If Notch adds Steamcloud support to Minecraft, I can see why you'd like to have a Steam version available, but I'm sure that Notch can talk with Steam about that, just having a list of keys, create a mailing list and send every person who already purchased Minecraft a mail containing a code to input in Steam (which is the same code as in the account) and voila, it is attached.
Notch can keep selling the game on his own website, Valve themselves say that it does not have to be exclusive to Steam. However they'll be less likely to accept the game if people can go to Notch's website, buy the game there for a reduced price and Steam gets no commission that way. Steam will probably demand an equal retail price in order to keep customers at Steam.

Look at the MMORPGs. There are several MMORPGs on Steam, they're not using Steam authorisation to determine whether a person owns the game. They simply gave Steam a list of keys that Steam can sell, when someone buys the game through Steam, Steam takes commission, gives the remainder of the money to the publisher of the MMORPG and gives one key off the list to the customer. That customer goes to a registration page, enters the key from Steam there to create an account and he can download the game and play it for the free month.

Release price, I know that it is only now a tenner. I'm just saying that Notch can raise the price slightly to account for Steam commission, whatever the actual price will be.

Notch can do it on his own pace. Hell, I think Steam would consider putting up Minecraft classic as a demo (together with the software to run a Minecraft server in their tools library) and just say "Minecraft Release Date: 2011" or whatever, perhaps with pre-orders giving access to a beta (I believe that Steam did that with other games too which had beta's for those that had pre-ordered the game).

@facemywrath and Equ1n0x:
At the moment the current client updates itself. All that Notch has to do is offer the executable client to Steam, it downloads and updates itself from Notch's servers. If you go to a different PC, you can just log in at minecraft.net with your account, choose "Download client", install and update, log in, presto you can play there! Utilizing Steam with a steamcloud integration would mean that you could also download and install Steam, download Minecraft through Steam, install and update, log in, Presto: You can play there with the maps and settings from your other PC!
That depends on Notch and on how the Steamcloud API works.

Salbris
    Salbris

Coal Miner

• Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 03:02 PM

radonschism said:

Too bad once I've purchased a game without steam I can't register it ON steam.

Silly valve.

Screw gabe newell.

You can "add" it your game list so that anyone else can see that you are playing. If you want to be able to download it from steam? Well no, but you can just download it from the site, so what do you need from "registering" it with Steam that you don't already have?

killer2329

Posted 15 July 2010 - 04:28 PM

anyone notice the flashing yellow letters "not on steam"
something tells me notch is happy about that

kutagh
    kutagh

Coal Miner

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 07:31 PM

killer2329 said:

anyone notice the flashing yellow letters "not on steam"
something tells me notch is happy about that
Taking that serious?

Ninjarooster said:

During the Stream, Notch said he wanted Minecraft on Steam. It couldn't be that difficult right? Just have a person "register" Minecraft by entering their information on Steam and Minecraft.net.

It's simply a good business move to use Steam and possibly Steamcloud support if Steam doesn't demand a huge commission. Valve got a massive list of games, there have been several games republished on Steam and that is with a reason.

Salbris said:

radonschism said:

Too bad once I've purchased a game without steam I can't register it ON steam.

Silly valve.

Screw gabe newell.

You can "add" it your game list so that anyone else can see that you are playing. If you want to be able to download it from steam? Well no, but you can just download it from the site, so what do you need from "registering" it with Steam that you don't already have?

As I said:

If you would implement Steamcloud then you could actually have both the user settings AND the maps synched automatically, so you could play your maps everywhere as long as you can access Steam with your own account.
Whether it is possible depends on the Steamworks API and on Notch.

arbyXD
    arbyXD

Carpenter

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 11:36 PM

Steam is a pain in the neck and I have had many problems with it before. I would definatly NOT play minecraft if it was in any way affiliated with steam.

nameguy101

Posted 24 November 2010 - 03:29 AM

This is probably the most important thread in Suggestions. I agree that Notch should add this to Steam. I also think that buying it on the site should still give revenue to Steam, but have it ask you if you want it on Steam and allow you to choose Steam again anytime.
Posted Image

Karzafal
    Karzafal

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 05:22 AM

facemywrath said:

i think it is a nice idea, make it so you sell alpha on steam and make beta called Demo
demos are free and you can sell alpha for 13$ or 10€

...What? First of all he is selling it for 20€, also, the alpha is an earlier stage than beta, why would he make people pay for the old version when the new one is free according your logic. I would say, if he were to do this at all, make Creative (The pre-alpha) the free demo, and put up the alpha for 20€, and have a half-off sale on it until it is in beta. Steam automatically updates so it should not be a problem.

jenso942
    jenso942

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 11:45 AM

Ninjarooster said:

I like this idea :Notch:, if it would come for steam, so you could enter your details or something for already owners to get on steam.
Posted Image
I Like Minecraft and Magicka <3

joshizpro

Posted 13 April 2011 - 10:58 PM

If Notch does this, say goodbye to offline connecting (playing at school and such :S)