Jump to content

  • Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Hoppers in the Home


  • Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1

Endy123
    Endy123

    Redstone Miner

  • Members
  • 575 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:03 PM

Wanted to post some stuff I've been working on.

Lots and lots of Hoppers everywhere. Mostly being used for collecting and pipelines.

Currently only the Tree Farm and Mine are connected all the way down to the lowest level factory, but I'll probably hook the pie farm up to it as well.


Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Register or log in to remove.

#2

JTTCOTE2
    JTTCOTE2

    Diamond Miner

  • Members
  • 885 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:55 PM

...Cool. Wish hoppers were...brighter, personally.

#3

Abadayos
    Abadayos

    Zombie Killer

  • Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:07 PM

With hoppers still being WIP for their graphic in the inventory I see no problem with how they look as a WIP (work in progress) block. Give it a few more snapshots and they may look nicer.

As for the OP, looks good. It's definately something I'm going ot be looking into over the next few days.

#4

rodabon
    rodabon

    End Dweller

  • Members
  • 7187 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:18 AM

Please explain what you mean by pipelines.

Also remember this is the survival forum not the recent updates forum so many of us can't fully appreciate what you're pictures are depicting because we aren't playing the snapshot.
Re: 3D Minecraft - Anyone tried it?
by c0yote  

I tried it with terrible results. I gave my wife my glasses for a second, a creeper showed up and now my wife is pregnant.
Stupid 3D..

#5

Jus275
    Jus275

    Zombie Killer

  • Members
  • 206 posts
  • Location: Canada
  • Minecraft: Jus275

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:28 AM

Hoppers are currently kind of risky to use in survival, if you don't want to cheat, because it is currently very easy to duplicate items using multiple hoppers, even by accident. All an item has to do is land on the side/corner of the hopper and it will start to duplicate. I'm waiting till they fix that before I even consider using hoppers :P

#6

Endy123
    Endy123

    Redstone Miner

  • Members
  • 575 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:42 AM

View Postrodabon, on 09 January 2013 - 01:18 AM, said:

Please explain what you mean by pipelines.

A line of them hooked together to carry materials along. Like I can deposit something in a hopper at the tree farm and have it show up down below.

Can do something similar with water streams, but don't have any storage capacity.

View PostJus275, on 09 January 2013 - 01:28 AM, said:

Hoppers are currently kind of risky to use in survival, if you don't want to cheat, because it is currently very easy to duplicate items using multiple hoppers, even by accident. All an item has to do is land on the side/corner of the hopper and it will start to duplicate. I'm waiting till they fix that before I even consider using hoppers Posted Image

Yeah, tree farm gives some issues. I have to run around collecting any items that fall to the side. The shorter pipes for the auto-farms are so full that it doesn't even matter.

#7

rodabon
    rodabon

    End Dweller

  • Members
  • 7187 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:47 AM

View PostEndy123, on 09 January 2013 - 01:42 AM, said:

A line of them hooked together to carry materials along. Like I can deposit something in a hopper at the tree farm and have it show up down below.

Can do something similar with water streams, but don't have any storage capacity.

Interesting I didn't know you could string them together to make actual pipes.   Does this only work downward though?
Re: 3D Minecraft - Anyone tried it?
by c0yote  

I tried it with terrible results. I gave my wife my glasses for a second, a creeper showed up and now my wife is pregnant.
Stupid 3D..

#8

Jus275
    Jus275

    Zombie Killer

  • Members
  • 206 posts
  • Location: Canada
  • Minecraft: Jus275

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:53 AM

View Postrodabon, on 09 January 2013 - 01:47 AM, said:

Interesting I didn't know you could string them together to make actual pipes.   Does this only work downward though?

Nope, it works in every direction except up. In my opinion they should just add pipes themselves because a line of hoppers looks so ugly and if they perform the same function as a pipe why not just add pipe purely for aesthetics? I dunno, that's just my opinion

#9

haxjagarn
  • Location: Sweden
  • Minecraft: haxjagarn

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:09 PM

I just noticed, hoppers are the perfect kitchen-sink :o It's like one of those american sinks, which you throw your trash into and it cuts it to pieces and then goes down the drain

Posted Image

build your portals closer than ever


#10

Natecraft

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:19 PM

View Posthaxjagarn, on 09 January 2013 - 06:09 PM, said:

I just noticed, hoppers are the perfect kitchen-sink Posted Image It's like one of those american sinks, which you throw your trash into and it cuts it to pieces and then goes down the drain

A garbage disposal? I guess, but usually you can't actually see the pipes going down, they are hidden in cabinets, if only we could put trapdoors in front of the disposals...
ragnarock200: awesome, are those things with the creeper faces pistons or furnaces
Snowey1994: There dispensers

#11

AbyssalMonkey

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:17 PM

View PostJus275, on 09 January 2013 - 01:53 AM, said:

Nope, it works in every direction except up. In my opinion they should just add pipes themselves because a line of hoppers looks so ugly and if they perform the same function as a pipe why not just add pipe purely for aesthetics? I dunno, that's just my opinion

Bad idea, I personally think they need to remove the hoppers being able to be chained together like that because it just brings the question back around: What the hell are chest carts useful for.  I have no problem with them going into the side, but I think that they shouldn't be able to feed into each other, only other blocks with an inventory.  This would force the hopper chain to go down and you would be forced to use chest carts to bring the items back up, and due to minecraft being voxel-based (taxicab geometry) you could have just used rails to keep it at same level in the first place and have it arrive faster.

EDIT: The other idea i had just came up with is to modify the recipe of the hopper to iron ingots instead of stone, then making huge lines of hoppers is unpractical for the cost vs rails.  11 iron + 1 chest = move 16 blocks. 10 iron and 2 chests = move 2 blocks.  Huge disincentive for long hopper lines.

Edited by AbyssalMonkey, 09 January 2013 - 07:43 PM.


#12

Owl Exterminator

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:58 PM

View PostAbyssalMonkey, on 09 January 2013 - 07:17 PM, said:

Bad idea, I personally think they need to remove the hoppers being able to be chained together like that because it just brings the question back around: What the hell are chest carts useful for.  I have no problem with them going into the side, but I think that they shouldn't be able to feed into each other, only other blocks with an inventory.  This would force the hopper chain to go down and you would be forced to use chest carts to bring the items back up, and due to minecraft being voxel-based (taxicab geometry) you could have just used rails to keep it at same level in the first place and have it arrive faster.

EDIT: The other idea i had just came up with is to modify the recipe of the hopper to iron ingots instead of stone, then making huge lines of hoppers is unpractical for the cost vs rails.  11 iron + 1 chest = move 16 blocks. 10 iron and 2 chests = move 2 blocks.  Huge disincentive for long hopper lines.
Hopper lines can be used for more compact designs. If you just want to transfer items down, for example, it takes a considerably larger amount of space to make a minecart go all the way down, then all the way back up.

Minecarts have their uses that hoppers can't imitate, though. You can use hoppers to transfer items to a far away cache, yes, but retrieving that cache can be the job of the minecarts. Perhaps you use hopper lines to feed a cart in a storage system, but you later want to retrieve your banked materials, and use an old fashioned minecart bank to get it out. The benefit of hoppers, here, is that you can have multiple input lines, meaning you could link a mineshaft dropbox to your base's storage unit without needing to construct an entirely new unit.

It all really depends on how you aesthetically like things though. Yea, you could just have a whole bunch of stationary chests in your base connected to hoppers, but that's all choice.
Posted Image

#13

AbyssalMonkey

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:34 PM

View PostOwl Exterminator, on 09 January 2013 - 07:58 PM, said:

Hopper lines can be used for more compact designs. If you just want to transfer items down, for example, it takes a considerably larger amount of space to make a minecart go all the way down, then all the way back up.

Minecarts have their uses that hoppers can't imitate, though. You can use hoppers to transfer items to a far away cache, yes, but retrieving that cache can be the job of the minecarts. Perhaps you use hopper lines to feed a cart in a storage system, but you later want to retrieve your banked materials, and use an old fashioned minecart bank to get it out. The benefit of hoppers, here, is that you can have multiple input lines, meaning you could link a mineshaft dropbox to your base's storage unit without needing to construct an entirely new unit.

It all really depends on how you aesthetically like things though. Yea, you could just have a whole bunch of stationary chests in your base connected to hoppers, but that's all choice.

I have no issue with hoppers connecting to each other downward, they "use" gravity to move objects around.  Just like you could toss your stuff down a hole in the ground with a hopper at the bottom feeding into a chest(cart).  The issue I have is that hopper-lines completely revert any use chestcarts had before.

If you are talking about regulating when items get fed to the chest cart for it to bring back, a dispenser and hopper-line can do the exact same thing.  Rails have multiple inputs as well, that's why they can connect to each other.  If you don't like that, just have a hopper with a rail on it at the nexus of your intersections and have that feed into another chestcart that ferries those items back to your cache.  This is still achievable all without hopper lines.

#14

Racklin
    Racklin

    Newly Spawned

  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:34 PM

I agree with Owl, on how you can drop stuff off and it be sent to a depot, then you call it up at a depot a delivery cart wheels in. What would be useful, is if instead of a hopper, you have a block that picks up stuff, a block that drops stuff, and a short-range piping system. That way you can send a minecart with stuff in it, it could be stopped, and its contents unloaded and sent to a chest depot, and then you can call up a cart and it pull your stuff out. You could even set up railways where your minecarts are sent to different unloads based on different buttons you could press. It could create a large scale banking system.

#15

FGHIK
    FGHIK

    Redstone Miner

  • Members
  • 504 posts
  • Location: Classified
  • Minecraft: FGHIK

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:53 PM

View PostJus275, on 09 January 2013 - 01:53 AM, said:

Nope, it works in every direction except up. In my opinion they should just add pipes themselves because a line of hoppers looks so ugly and if they perform the same function as a pipe why not just add pipe purely for aesthetics? I dunno, that's just my opinion
Yes, buildcraft mod styled (but simpler) vanilla pipes would be nice. You could also power them to make items go through them faster and be able to go up. the power would go through them for a ways like powered rails. Or maybe you would have normal pipes and powered pipes? They could do that many ways.

View Posthaxjagarn, on 09 January 2013 - 06:09 PM, said:

I just noticed, hoppers are the perfect kitchen-sink Posted Image It's like one of those american sinks, which you throw your trash into and it cuts it to pieces and then goes down the drain
Lol, I can't believe you find that strange... XD
Posted Image

#16

I am yor sister!
  • Location: Staring at your back

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:37 AM

How are the hoppers connected to the other hoppers like that?

Posted Image


#17

LegoShokwave123
  • Location: Petting Schrodinger's cat while sitting on a tesseract.
  • Minecraft: LegoShokwave123

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:44 PM

View PostI am yor sister!, on 10 January 2013 - 02:37 AM, said:

How are the hoppers connected to the other hoppers like that?

Shift placing a hopper onto a hopper onto a hopper...
It takes a while to go very far, but its useful for short distances.
<_<

#18

Gnardak
    Gnardak

    Diamond Miner

  • Members
  • 854 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:47 PM

View PostAbyssalMonkey, on 09 January 2013 - 08:34 PM, said:

I have no issue with hoppers connecting to each other downward, they "use" gravity to move objects around.  Just like you could toss your stuff down a hole in the ground with a hopper at the bottom feeding into a chest(cart).  The issue I have is that hopper-lines completely revert any use chestcarts had before.

If you are talking about regulating when items get fed to the chest cart for it to bring back, a dispenser and hopper-line can do the exact same thing.  Rails have multiple inputs as well, that's why they can connect to each other.  If you don't like that, just have a hopper with a rail on it at the nexus of your intersections and have that feed into another chestcart that ferries those items back to your cache.  This is still achievable all without hopper lines.

I think hoppers do need to chain horizontally. As someone else said minecart systems are just too big to be practical to use for many small scale applications.

Though when transporting items over a distance minecarts should be used so a limit the distance an item can travel through a hopper chain would be best though that might be a hard to get right and has the potential to get really annoying when trying to find where items are clogging up the system.

In short I think short distance hopper chains need to stay because using minecarts for small scale local transport is kinda impractical, and while it would be desirable to restrict the transmission via hoppers over long distances that creates it's own set of knotty problems so the current system is fairly good for now.

#19

Sven_The_Slayer

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:58 PM

I love the idea of building a tree farm floor out of hoppers, I'm going to have to do that.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Playing Minecraft since [Friday, March 19, 2010, 9:20:21 PM] (First indev world save)

#20

MumblesMiner

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:49 PM

View PostNatecraft, on 09 January 2013 - 06:19 PM, said:

A garbage disposal? I guess, but usually you can't actually see the pipes going down, they are hidden in cabinets, if only we could put trapdoors in front of the disposals...

Signs could work for that =) would look kinda ghetto, but hey.