Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

* * * * - 5 votes

Uploading Your Texturepacks to Bukkit - a How-To Guide

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

Sacheverell

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:06 PM

Are you a texture pack artist, trying to get your work uploaded to the Curse Client?  There's certainly ample incentive to do so - every artist that gets over 1,000 downloads gets FREE Curse Premium, giving them network-wide perks for no cost, after all!  Still, how does one upload their texture pack to Bukkit?  It's a daunting task at first glance, but once you have done it, the ease of the process is quite surprising.  Let's take a look!

First, take a look at the Bukkit wiki guide on uploading texture packs, to make sure your pack meets specifications.  If it does, continue on!

Posted Image          

How to Upload your Packs to Bukkit  

Step 1: Go to dev.bukkit.org and click "Create a New Project".  
   Posted Image              

If you are not logged in, you will be taken to a log in prompt. Log in with your normal Curse credentials to get started!  

Step 2: Choose your Category and enter your project information.  
   Be sure to click Client Mod, as seen below:  
   Posted Image              

This will take you to the project creation page. Please only upload files you have made yourself. Fill out all information as detailed as you can regarding your texture pack! The more accurately you fill out the information, the more likely you are to have your pack approved with no problems!    
   Posted Image              

Under Primary Category, choose Texture Packs.  
   Posted Image            

Be sure to summarize your project and leave a detailed description! This is important for players to know what your texture pack is. The summary is especially important as it is what will show up in the Curse Client.  
   Posted Image              

Please remember that all projects and files are hand-approved in an approval queue, and will not be instantly available. Curse does this to help ensure all users' safety when downloading files.            
   Step 3:Upload your File  

While you are waiting for project approval, you can still upload your file! On your project's page under "Project Management", click Upload File.  
   Posted Image              

This will take you to the following page, where you can give your file a specific name, select the game version, file type, and enter in a change log.  
   Posted Image            

Remember that all projects and files are hand-approved in an approval queue, so your file will not be available instantly.  

After that, you're done! Your file will be in the Curse Client as well as on Curse.com, which you can link to and advertise to your heart's content!  Also, be sure to keep an ear to the ground about uploading texture packs, maps, and more - there are goodies on the horizon we can't tell you about just yet, but soon!

Don't forget that the Curse Client also has world backup and restoring features, loads of texture packs, and more.  Give it a try, and tell us what you think!

Register or log in to remove.

sheenrox82
  • Minecraft: sheenrox82
  • Xbox:sheenrox82

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:08 PM

Sweet!

Posted Image

"Nothing is impossible, it's just that you haven't figured out a way to make it work."

xSatuim
    xSatuim

Glowstone Miner

• Members
  • 3101 posts
  • Minecraft: Satuim

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:56 PM

Is this a limited offer?
This account is unused!
NEW ACCOUNT

Bogy_Mac
    Bogy_Mac

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 38 posts
  • Minecraft: BogyMac

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:28 PM

Cool......sort of.

-Bogy
The fact of the matter is......what you see it as, but not only what you see it as, but how you see it as.

wishfire
    wishfire

Product Manager

• Curse
  • Curse Premium
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:50 PM

View PostxSatuim, on 07 January 2013 - 10:56 PM, said:

Is this a limited offer?
This is not a limited offer in the slightest. Posted Image  It's been in place for some time now for Minecraft authors.

xSatuim
    xSatuim

Glowstone Miner

• Members
  • 3101 posts
  • Minecraft: Satuim

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:53 PM

View Postwishfire, on 07 January 2013 - 11:50 PM, said:

This is not a limited offer in the slightest. Posted Image  It's been in place for some time now for Minecraft authors.
And this last's for how long?
This account is unused!
NEW ACCOUNT

wishfire
    wishfire

Product Manager

• Curse
  • Curse Premium
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:55 PM

No time limit!  It's existed for several years already for games like World of Warcraft, and these authors still receive the benefits to this day, nor do we have any plans of stopping them.

KotoroYoshida
  • Minecraft: phyzik

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:58 PM

sweet.
Want me to drawing you a picture? Follow my stream then! http://www.twitch.tv/sleepingfoot

Willco2
    Willco2

Carpenter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  • Minecraft: Willco2

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:59 PM

I read the first and last parts and it seemed this was somewhat like an advertisment for The Curse Client.
Posted Image

jakeob22
    jakeob22

Dizzy

• Sectional Moderator
  • Curse Premium
  • 2106 posts
  • Minecraft: jakeob22

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:02 AM

That's how I got my premium. I wrote a plugin that got over 1k downloads. (Actually, 14k)

It's very nice, but I think you need to keep your texture pack/mod up to date to keep the benefit!

If I helped you, please hit the Posted Image in the lower right corner of my post. Thanks!

ThadiusKayne

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:06 AM

Sounds like curse getting more cash for artists hard work in exchange for something essentially worthless. Plus its just another source to keep up to date... my pack's main downloads will only ever be hosted on my site unless curse fancies offering a proper incentive.

Posted Image

8nationarmy

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:26 AM

this is wierd, when i try to make a client mod, there is no texture pack option, but when i can choose client mod there is another tab for textures?
Posted Image

Regicidal
    Regicidal

Gold Miner

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 385 posts
  • Xbox:Nope, PS3

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:28 AM

How does this possibly work and what does it do in general? I want my texture pack to become more popular but I don't know how to get started.

Posted Image

wishfire
    wishfire

Product Manager

• Curse
  • Curse Premium
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:28 AM

The post has been updated to mention the texture pack button -- Please use the texture pack button option on the first page when uploading (it should be to the right of Client Mods). Posted Image  Sorry for the confusion!

View PostRegicidal, on 08 January 2013 - 12:28 AM, said:

How does this possibly work and what does it do in general? I want my texture pack to become more popular but I don't know how to get started.
This works by being another platform for you to upload your texture packs, client mods, or server mods to.  Provided it's your creation, you can upload it!  Simply go to http://dev.bukkit.org, log in with your normal Curse details, and click "Create Project".  Click "Create a Texture Pack", and then follow the rest of the instructions in this tutorial. Posted Image  This will put your texture pack up on Curse.com as well, and within the Curse Client.  Feel free to PM me if you need some more assistance!

View PostThadiusKayne, on 08 January 2013 - 12:06 AM, said:

Sounds like curse getting more cash for artists hard work in exchange for something essentially worthless. Plus its just another source to keep up to date... my pack's main downloads will only ever be hosted on my site unless curse fancies offering a proper incentive.
We have something exciting in the coming months that you may want to keep your eye on!

Julian_GameMaker
  • Minecraft: delarosaj
  • Xbox:G0ld3n4c3

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:25 AM

View PostBogy_Mac, on 07 January 2013 - 11:28 PM, said:

Cool......sort of.

-Bogy

I agree, looks a little hard, but then again I'm not much of a texture pack artist
PRETEND THERE IS AN EPIC BANNER RIGHT HERE! oh, fyi, i need beta testers: http://www.minecraft...or-the-captain/

The_Fool76
    The_Fool76

Glowstone Miner

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 3036 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:35 AM

That how-to guide is missing a few key details for texture packs.
Specifically the naming conventions.

Pack names must end with the resolution and file names need to have the version number of MC they are for.
Examples:
MyPack [16x]
mypack.zip 1.6 [1.4.2]

For more complete details I suggest reading this sticky post on the Bukkit forums:
http://forums.bukkit...n-3-2013.60284/

Now if you will excuse me, I need to start working on getting my seven packs updated for the latest snapshot.
Tis far better to be a witty fool than a foolish wit.
Posted Image

seanpyke
    seanpyke

Carpenter

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 41 posts
  • Minecraft: seanpyke

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:12 AM

I wish they posted this when the Client first came out. I had a nightmare of a time figuring out how to do this. A really good guide, It should help a lot of people.

I won't upload my pack to Planet Minecraft, Curse is much better IMO.

Posted Image

Chibichuba
  • Minecraft: Chibichuba

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:19 AM

Currently, the website says create a client mod and create a texture pack, should I still choose client mod or texture pack? I know the questions sounds logical to answer but, I feel like it should be client mod because its being combined into the Curse Client.

RedXuchilbara

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:45 AM

View Postseanpyke, on 08 January 2013 - 04:12 AM, said:

I wish they posted this when the Client first came out. I had a nightmare of a time figuring out how to do this. A really good guide, It should help a lot of people.

I won't upload my pack to Planet Minecraft, Curse is much better IMO.

I have mine on
Minecraftforums
Planet Minecraft,
and Curse more exposure is not a bad thing.

javoris767

Posted 08 January 2013 - 05:11 AM

No wonder I've been having premium XD
Posted Image

http://youtube.com/user/javoris767 | http://twitter.com/InfernoKun
3 year Minecraft veteran :D
Bukkit Plugin Developer and Former Server Owner :S