Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Lapis Compass?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

GearsDisraeli
  • Minecraft: GearsDisraeli

Posted 12 February 2011 - 10:50 PM

Just an idea; I was thinking of a compass with a blue needle, that would point you to the place it was crafted. Four iron ingots, with a bit of lapis lazuli  inside. Simple enough?

You could keep them in different labeled containers, pertaining to their points of interest.
Any thoughts???

Additional comment from Bean Delphiki; It could possibly be linked to a movable item. (lazuli block maybe)
Posted Image

Register or log in to remove.

Netnork1
    Netnork1

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 10:55 PM

I like this.

agentfro98

Posted 12 February 2011 - 10:57 PM

i think its a great idea especialy if you make it in your main base  or if you keep many bases by each other.

[]  :Iron:  []
:Iron:  :Diamond:  :Iron:
  []  :Iron:  []

:Notch: = lapis luzile
MAGNETS HOW DO THEY WORK ??????!!!!!!!!
Posted Image
    Posted Image

Ashkin
    Ashkin

Void Walker

• Members
  • 1660 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 10:58 PM

This is actually a really amazing and original idea. SImple, but very effective and good. But would there be a way to recraft a compass to put it in a new place? How about putting a lapis lazuli ore above the old one, to make it point to your current position instead?

I've always been this way. A patched-up, crazy matryoshka.

PowerZ
    PowerZ

Coal Miner

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 11:06 PM

The best idea i've seen in weeks.

Moonster
  • Minecraft: Moonster

Posted 12 February 2011 - 11:11 PM

It would help ALOT in the Minecraft world, cause i normally venture far away from my spawn point, making my compass completely pointless almost literally :D
Posted Image

jmgh4
    jmgh4

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 225 posts
  • Minecraft: JMGH4

Posted 12 February 2011 - 11:22 PM

Yes this is a very good idea, compasses that point to spawn are nice, but useless if you're not going to spawn.

I like this alot.

Bean Delphiki

Posted 12 February 2011 - 11:38 PM

Great idea. Maybe instead of pointing to where it was crafted, it can point to some other craftable structure instead? Like some sort of lazuli box or something, i dont know, but that way, the direction it points is movable and you dont have to craft a new compass every time you wanted a new direction to point.
Boom. Headshot.

iKaleb
    iKaleb

Void Walker

• Members
  • 1691 posts
  • Minecraft: iKaleb

Posted 12 February 2011 - 11:49 PM

Excellent idea!

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

Hahailost
  • Minecraft: Hahailost

Posted 13 February 2011 - 12:00 AM

Awesome idea. Gives a use for the lazuli, other than being a very rare dye.

Nath99
    Nath99

Void Walker

• Members
  • 1744 posts
  • Minecraft: Nath99

Posted 13 February 2011 - 12:03 AM

Nice job on the though process, even the most experienced minecraftian wouldn't have come up with this one
These guys make awesome art for Mods (Items, New Blocks and Mobs)
Posted Image
I will be using them soon

I'm Starting to be known as a Balancer, A.K.A. I'm starting to become pessimist

DrBlues
    DrBlues

Stone Miner

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 12:08 AM

That is a really good idea

Subparchar
  • Minecraft: Subparchar

Posted 13 February 2011 - 12:12 AM

Yes!  :)

Ojr
    Ojr

Iron Miner

• Members
  • 328 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 12:12 AM

I love this idea. It's so simple and perfect. Lapis lazuli has been, up until now, entirely useless to me. (I'm not a very dyed-cloth-oriented type, so... None of it for me.) But this would really make me like it.
Posted Image

DrBlues
    DrBlues

Stone Miner

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 12:25 AM

its a great idea, just wondering how it would work when you have multiple creation points and compasses.

For example, you create one at your house and have a compass for that, you also create one for say, your castle down the road which would have a separate compass. Would each compass be given a number / colour?

Merely making a suggestion here, but perhaps a radar? it picks up particular beacons you have placed in your land. that way you'd only need one thing instead of multiple compasses?

DrBlues
    DrBlues

Stone Miner

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 12:26 AM

sorry just realised, that had kinda been suggested already

Nath99
    Nath99

Void Walker

• Members
  • 1744 posts
  • Minecraft: Nath99

Posted 13 February 2011 - 12:29 AM

DrBlues said:

its a great idea, just wondering how it would work when you have multiple creation points and compasses.

For example, you create one at your house and have a compass for that, you also create one for say, your castle down the road which would have a separate compass. Would each compass be given a number / colour?

Merely making a suggestion here, but perhaps a radar? it picks up particular beacons you have placed in your land. that way you'd only need one thing instead of multiple compasses?

You make sure you know which one is which and keep it organized, simple (your gonna be mad when your lead to your lava trap pit and not your house)
These guys make awesome art for Mods (Items, New Blocks and Mobs)
Posted Image
I will be using them soon

I'm Starting to be known as a Balancer, A.K.A. I'm starting to become pessimist

rojomonkey

Posted 13 February 2011 - 12:30 AM

even you didnt think people would like this i love the idea......so u can go on giant adventures and slay the mighty dragon :Lava: jk but you could find your way back
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image plz click these eggs so they dont die and if you do thank you

clone0001

Posted 13 February 2011 - 12:31 AM

I wanted to expand upon this idea using other suggestions I've seen. My suggestion is to use the dyes for glass (or something) for the new compass and have it associated with craftable colored flags. Obviously if flags are ever available they will be used all over the place, so maybe you gotta place a flag on a special block for it to work as a beacon. The new compass could be one or more colors and perhaps even prismatic (which you would right click on to change the color, much like the note blocks). Just an idea.

DrBlues
    DrBlues

Stone Miner

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 12:34 AM

I'm sure you could remember, but I can imagine it getting a bit messy if you have lots of compasses. I shouldn't imagine it would be too hard to give each compass a number or perhaps a name, so you can label the beacon (where the compass leads to) as home or 1 and the compass then is labelled as home / 1.

And being able to move the beacon would be great.

But seriously good idea, very inventive.