Latest News Article

* * * * * 7 votes

Light Sensor Block?

• Please log in to reply
129 replies to this topic

caterpillareid
  • Minecraft: caterpillareid

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:41 AM

Looks very helpful, fun, and interesting!!
I hope the Redstone Release is "Idiot
Compatible". :P

Register or log in to remove.

Calfeggs
    Calfeggs

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 518 posts
  • Minecraft: Calfeggs

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:44 AM

[quote name='caterpillareid' timestamp='1357177282' post='20091341']
Looks very helpful, fun, and interesting!!
I hope the Redstone Release is "Idiot
Compatible". [img]http://static.minecraftforum.net//public/style_emoticons/default/tongue.png[/img]
[/quote]LOL! Just learn how to not be an idiot, it'll be fine! :P
The future is changing, but it's hard to tell...

JayWulf90
  • Minecraft: Th3LoneWulf579
  • Xbox:JayWulf90

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:13 AM

I heard about this a while back, and it looks totally awesome. I can't wait for 1.5!! Stop torturing me, Mojang... Dx

"I want to attend a convention for bacon. We'll call it baCON, and it'll have bacon panels, and it'll be the best thing ever."

-Marc Watson, Mojang

LocalChamp9139
  • Minecraft: LocalChamp9139

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:30 AM

[quote name='hi9580' timestamp='1357175739' post='20090840']
unless they need to be in direct sunlight to work, which would be common sense but would suck
[/quote]

It wouldn't be that bad just put it at the surface a couple of blocks in the ground and then run the Redstone signal down to your base where the lights are. It would require a fair amount of Redstone resource but would be worth it.
Posted Image

Scrollo
    Scrollo

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:33 AM

it would be cool if you could place these upside-down like half-slabs, thus inverting the signal!
it fits Minecraft logic and they look the same size as slabs.

but if not they still will be cool!
I need to post more -3-

mi_nombre_es_mi_nombre

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:45 AM

Are those the old gravel textures in the background?

RadioactivFly

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:49 AM

This affirms my belief that Mojang will indeed make a new Nether ore for the Redstone Update. Look at that green-brown material the light sensor is made of. It looks nothing like anything already in the game. And that green-brown color contrasts nicely against the red of Netherrack. I have no doubt that the green material the light sensor is made of is in fact the new nether mineral.
Posted Image

Hunter
    Hunter

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1769 posts
  • Minecraft: hunterman12345
  • Xbox:flashbang007

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:02 AM

This looks cool, you could probably just slab a NOT gate on a sensor on top of a lamp and BOOM .. street lights.
Posted Image

Want a Quality Minecraft Server? Check out DemonVPS Minecraft Host!

Doozy
    Doozy

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1341 posts
  • Minecraft: Doozy

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:04 AM

[quote name='RadioactivFly' timestamp='1357181342' post='20092748']
This affirms my belief that Mojang will indeed make a new Nether ore for the Redstone Update. Look at that green-brown material the light sensor is made of. It looks nothing like anything already in the game. And that green-brown color contrasts nicely against the red of Netherrack. I have no doubt that the green material the light sensor is made of is in fact the new nether mineral.
[/quote]

I fail to see the green you are speaking of. I see brown and an off-white. Nothing the Redstone Lamp doesn't already have.

RobotSheep
    RobotSheep

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 982 posts
  • Minecraft: RobinZ52

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:09 AM

Considering that with a few redstone torches, these light sensors can become night sensors, and power on/off my city lights automatically. Can't wait for the update!

Safari384

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:18 AM

[quote name='mi_nombre_es_mi_nombre' timestamp='1357181137' post='20092691']
Are those the old gravel textures in the background?
[/quote] I don't think so.
I don't always die with full diamond armor, but when I do, it's because I fell off a cliff.

Antperson

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:48 AM

This could be cool. It could be used for lights the only come on at night if you invert a torch.

RadioactivFly

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:49 AM

[quote name='Doozy' timestamp='1357182289' post='20093029']
I fail to see the green you are speaking of. I see brown and an off-white. Nothing the Redstone Lamp doesn't already have.
[/quote]
Brownish-green. Whatever. Brown. It's a much greener brown than dirt, isn't it? Redstone lamps have brown in them because they're turned-off glowstone. The brown in the light sensor has to come from a material in its crafting recipe since there's so much of it. No current material has that color. The crafting recipe will probably consist of a partial rim (like in a chest or furnace recipe, but without the top row) of the new material with redstone dust in the center. Purely speculation, of course.
Posted Image

Doozy
    Doozy

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1341 posts
  • Minecraft: Doozy

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:53 AM

[quote name='RadioactivFly' timestamp='1357184968' post='20093825']
Brownish-green. Whatever. Brown. It's a much greener brown than dirt, isn't it? Redstone lamps have brown in them because they're turned-off glowstone. The brown in the light sensor has to come from a material in its crafting recipe since there's so much of it. No current material has that color. The crafting recipe will probably consist of a partial rim (like in a chest or furnace recipe, but without the top row) of the new material with redstone dust in the center. Purely speculation, of course.
[/quote]

I can't imagine such effort being put forth for the crafting of such an item. I suppose we will find out. =)

helbirden9

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:02 AM

Notice how the end lamp is off after only about 10 blocks. This probably means that the detector only outputs a redstone strength equivalent to the amount of light.

DanSparrow
    DanSparrow

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 955 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:12 AM

So solar cells, that could be pretty interesting

Darkhax
    Darkhax

Haxor Moderator

• Sectional Moderator
  • Curse Premium
  • 4073 posts
  • Minecraft: darkhax

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:12 AM

awesome i cant wait to see what else they will add. my biggest hope for this update is something that has NOT been done before in a mod yet it is something we could make use of.

also it would be awesome if they added a form of light source that is safe to the player and not easily destroyed, i think Vechs may have mentioned this in one of his videos XD.

Posted Image

Xweetok_II
  • Minecraft: Xweetok_II

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:24 AM

[quote name='helbirden9' timestamp='1357185752' post='20094013']
Notice how the end lamp is off after only about 10 blocks. This probably means that the detector only outputs a redstone strength equivalent to the amount of light.
[/quote]

Now notice that sunlight is a light level of fifteen, and the sun isn't low enough to be a lower level of light.
Posted Image

Sambaru
    Sambaru

Nether Resident

• Members
  • 2081 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:34 AM

'Tis going to be very handy.
Posted Image

RadioactivFly

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:04 AM

[quote name='Doozy' timestamp='1357185190' post='20093871']
I can't imagine such effort being put forth for the crafting of such an item. I suppose we will find out. =)
[/quote]
Perhaps it will be like lapis and give you multiple pieces of the mineral for each block of ore?
Posted Image