* * * * * 7 votes

Light Sensor Block?

• Please log in to reply
129 replies to this topic

Sacheverell

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:24 AM

Posted Image

Light Sensor Block, as shown by Jeb

Jeb released a teaser image recently, calling it a "Daylight Detector"!  Upcoming feature in 1.5, maybe?

Light sensor blocks have, in many different forms, been a feature of numerous mod packs, and with good reason; the block is often depicted sending a redstone signal when a specific light threshold is detected, and otherwise emitting no signal.  Many people use them for automatic lighting, doors, or more complicated and esoteric machinery.  Will this particular block allow for sensitivity adjustments, letting players tell the block just how much light they want detected?  Maybe this is just one exciting part of the upcoming Redstone Update.  Dinnerbone already teased a number of redstone logic upgrades, and Mojang continues to pile on the features for the upcoming 1.5 update!  We will keep you posted as it develops.

Evan takes us through the last week in Minecraft, check it out!

Posted Image

Register or log in to remove.

Spekiz
    Spekiz

Carpenter

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:28 AM

That's nice

xSatuim
    xSatuim

Glowstone Miner

• Members
  • 3101 posts
  • Minecraft: Satuim

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:28 AM

Was this a mod?
Hold up I remember seeing a thread with 1.5 new blocks
and this was one of them
then Dinnerbone confirmed them as false
This account is unused!
NEW ACCOUNT

mrpoke12
    mrpoke12

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:29 AM

Looks awesome. I wonder what that stuff in the background is ;)
Posted Image

TheCookiesRtasty
  • Minecraft: TheCookiesRtasty
  • Xbox:DA x WonderMaN

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:32 AM

We can already make light sensors using grass blocks and things, we don't really need this.  Imo they should leave it out, and keep complex redstone contraptions like these possible.

KeenCoyote

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:34 AM

This looks interesting. Really good if you live underground or something.
I'm back on the MCF again!

Azurewhitewolf
  • Minecraft: Azurewhitewolf

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:38 AM

View PostTheCookiesRtasty, on 03 January 2013 - 12:32 AM, said:

We can already make light sensors using grass blocks and things, we don't really need this.  Imo they should leave it out, and keep complex redstone contraptions like these possible.
How ever with the new redstone update they said that it might destroy the BUD.  So I don't mind if they add this nice compact block

Sarutsuke

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:47 AM

Alright, neat.

Posted Image

The_Forgotten
  • Minecraft: Bubble_Man

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:48 AM

Ideas for mapmaking are surfacing! I'm already envisioning temples that only open during daytime, and puzzles using glass blocks and different light sources! This could be good.
Posted Image

ColinJay
    ColinJay

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 554 posts
  • Minecraft: colinjay9000
  • PSN:colinjay9000

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:48 AM

Doesn't look too bad. :/
Posted Image

insomniac_lemon
  • Minecraft: insomniac_lemon

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:50 AM

I would like this feature, and to me it seems like something needed. However, like many things Mojang adds, it probably won't work as well as it should.

Like how the implemented sticky pistons but removing sticky piston chaining (severely limiting the uses of pistons), the Daylight detector/light sensor whichever it is will probably be not as useful if there are not both a daylight detector and light sensor - meaning a detector to measure the sky lighting and a separate detector to measure non-sky lighting only. If it detects both, and you have it outside near torches, it will always be on. Daylight and block light are separate values with separate meanings, so they should have somehow separate detectors- either by crafting recipe (such as spider eye for light detector and ender pearl/eye for daylight detector) or an in-block setting.

Although, I find it impossible to tell the Minecraft devs anything, I find it very frustrating. They keep adding features that I am at first excited for - upon release I am greeted only with disappointment because of poor or incomplete implementation.

My favorite feature out of all of them in the last few major updates (and the only one I 100% liked) would probably have to be 3D items, and that wasn't even new code, just used again for items dropped in the world :|

Posted Image

LiLChris
    LiLChris

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1232 posts
  • Minecraft: LiLChris06

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:51 AM

I actually like this, I ended up using a villager + redstone for night and day triggers.

This will make it even better.

Jeffrey94
  • Minecraft: Jeffrey94
  • Xbox:Get a PC bro

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:08 AM

Wonder if the daylight sensor puts out a "value" based on light level (as opposed to on/off). If it does, then I reckon you could use it in combination with the new comparator to great effect...

x_clucky
    x_clucky

Zombie Killer

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 200 posts
  • Minecraft: x_clucky

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:10 AM

Ive been waiting for this FOREVER!!!

Enjoy raiding and pvp in highly customizable and well organized groups, but hate the setup of Factions? Then check out my upcoming server containing multiple custom plugins: http://www.RisingColonies.com/

RoboMat
    RoboMat

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 499 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:18 AM

View Postinsomniac_lemon, on 03 January 2013 - 12:50 AM, said:

I would like this feature, and to me it seems like something needed. However, like many things Mojang adds, it probably won't work as well as it should.

Like how the implemented sticky pistons but removing sticky piston chaining (severely limiting the uses of pistons), the Daylight detector/light sensor whichever it is will probably be not as useful if there are not both a daylight detector and light sensor - meaning a detector to measure the sky lighting and a separate detector to measure non-sky lighting only. If it detects both, and you have it outside near torches, it will always be on. Daylight and block light are separate values with separate meanings, so they should have somehow separate detectors- either by crafting recipe (such as spider eye for light detector and ender pearl/eye for daylight detector) or an in-block setting.

Although, I find it impossible to tell the Minecraft devs anything, I find it very frustrating. They keep adding features that I am at first excited for - upon release I am greeted only with disappointment because of poor or incomplete implementation.

My favorite feature out of all of them in the last few major updates (and the only one I 100% liked) would probably have to be 3D items, and that wasn't even new code, just used again for items dropped in the world :|

^THIS!
My personal survial world.
Posted Image

killallcreepers
  • Minecraft: minerdude456
  • Xbox:XxGulitinexX

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:25 AM

it will be good for people who suck with redstone like me lol...im serious 0_0

Xweetok_II
  • Minecraft: Xweetok_II

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:26 AM

Just going to note that the output of the redstone signal isn't the normal 15 blocks. I believe it is ten.
Posted Image

Calfeggs
    Calfeggs

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 518 posts
  • Minecraft: Calfeggs

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:33 AM

Nice, now I can finally have piston doors that only open in the day! Can't wait to 'accidentally' change the box to shut earlier and lock my friends out in the night!
The future is changing, but it's hard to tell...

Icecreamking99
  • Minecraft: Icecreamking99
  • Xbox:Icecreamking99

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:33 AM

I wonder if it could work inversely; for example, having street lights turn on at night. That would be cool for villages and cities. I'm not a redstone person, but this upcoming update looks exciting.

Jeffrey94
  • Minecraft: Jeffrey94
  • Xbox:Get a PC bro

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:37 AM

View PostIcecreamking99, on 03 January 2013 - 01:33 AM, said:

I wonder if it could work inversely; for example, having street lights turn on at night. That would be cool for villages and cities. I'm not a redstone person, but this upcoming update looks exciting.
That's easy, just put a NOT gate on the output. Boom, turns on at night.