Q: Why hasn't Somnia been updated to 1.4/1.5/1.x?
A: I don't have Internet at home.
Q: Why do you need Internet to work on the mod?
A: To research while I'm coding. The client/server model changed dramatically in 1.3, and I want to be able to refer to APIs, changelogs, and tutorials.
Q: Why don't you have Internet at home?
A: I just moved into a new house. The previous owners had AT&T DSL, but when I tried to sign up, AT&T said they are at "maximum capacity." AT&T is the only provider in this area. They've assured me they have plans to expand, but they haven't given me any timeline. My only choice is to wait.
Q: What about getting a wireless hotspot?
A: The wireless coverage in my area is terrible. I can make phone calls, but the data transfer rate is basically unusable.
Q: What about satellite Internet?
A: That is expensive, capped, and cuts out when it rains. In short, it sucks. We also just had a baby, so I'm trying to keep monthly expenses to a minimum.
Q: How are you visiting the forums if you don't have Internet?
A: I visit the forums from work. This also explains why I don't reply on weekends.
Q: Why don't you release the source code so someone else can update Somnia?
A: Mainly because it wouldn't help. Because of the changes that occurred in 1.3, I have to rewrite the mod from scratch. The source code for the 1.2.5 version is completely worthless. Anyone else is welcome to rewrite it from scratch, as I hope to do eventually.
Q: Would donating money help?
A: I can't think of a way that it would, but thanks for offering. When AT&T refused me service, I told them, "Gee, that's too bad. I would love to give you money." Money is not the problem.
Original post follows.
Somnia completely changes how sleeping works in Minecraft. It has been included in YogBox (with permission) and mentioned in PCGamer, which is pretty sweet.
- v24 [1.2.5] - Download (adfly) - Released Apr 15, 2012
- Added configuration option that controls which difficulties prevent you from sleeping in armor.
- Mar 12, 2013: For those who have not been following the topic, development is stalled. Even with a local dev environment, the lack of internet access is crippling. However, I've filed an issue with Mojang for their mod API (MCAPI).
- Dec 10, 2012: I managed to set up a dev environment even without an internet connection. It looks like I'll be able to get the mod working with a combination of the PlayerInteractEvent and the PlayerSleepInBedEvent.
- Nov 27, 2012: I still don't have internet access at home after the recent move. I can visit the forum from work, but obviously I can't work on Minecraft mods here. Meanwhile, Forge has added something I think I can use, but I won't know until I can check out the code... which of course requires an internet connection.
- Oct 29, 2012: I am still waiting for my submission to be included in Forge. I also don't have an internet connection at home (more details here and here), which pretty much prevents me from doing any work.
- Sep 11, 2012: I think I've overcome the learning curve, but Minecraft Forge didn't quite offer the functionality I need for multiplayer support. I've submitted code to Minecraft Forge and am waiting for its inclusion.
- Aug 22, 2012: The update for Minecraft 1.3 is delayed indefinitely while I try to figure out multiplayer support and the new Forge (read more).
- Aug 04, 2012: The update for Minecraft 1.3 will come soon after MCP, ModLoader, and Minecraft Forge all get updated. Barring any huge problems, this does mean that Somnia will finally work in multiplayer.
- Apr 15, 2012: Somnia v24 [1.2.5] released! (announcement)
- Simulates the world: While you're sleeping, the world continues as if you are standing idle the whole time. Crops and trees will grow, smelting continues, weather progresses, mobs are active (even mobs added by other mods), and dropped items decay. You also heal an amount based on how long you've spent sleeping and the difficulty setting, but you'll also grow hungry. The simulation will take a few moments.
- No sleep-triggered monster spawns: Monsters spawn normally and may still attack you in your sleep, but only if they can actually reach you. No more worrying if your bed is in an "unsafe" location. If you'd be safe while awake, you'll be safe while asleep.
- Sleep/wake at any time: Sleep any time, day or night. Wake automatically at the next dawn/dusk or manually at any time. If you have a Clock item in your hand, you can choose when you wake from among 16 options throughout the day.
- Control your spawn point: Before you sleep, you can choose whether or not sleeping will reset your spawn point.
- Maximum compatibility: This mod doesn't add any new Block or Item IDs. It just changes the behavior of the native bed. It will not corrupt your save files, and it is compatible with most other mods. It also disables itself in multiplayer.
- Download ModLoader and install it into your minecraft.jar file.
- Run Minecraft and make sure it still works. If not, reinstall ModLoader and make sure you didn't miss any steps (like removing the META-INF folder).
- Copy the contents the Somnia ZIP into your minecraft.jar file.
- Download ModLoader and Minecraft Forge and install both into your minecraft.jar file.
- Run Minecraft and make sure it still works. If not, reinstall ModLoader and Minecraft Forge and make sure you didn't miss any steps (like removing the META-INF folder).
- Copy the Somnia ZIP into .minecraft/mods.
Mod Packs Featuring Somnia
Show your support by placing this badge in your signature:
Or make a donation: