• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

[1.7.2] [SSP/SMP] The Lord of the Rings Mod: Bringing Middle-earth to Minecraft - Public Beta 16.1

• Please log in to reply
3804 replies to this topic

Mevans
    Mevans

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1157 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 12:45 AM

POPULAR

Posted Image

A new series by Mr. Gibbs which features the first release of the Middle-earth terrain generation!

A Let's Play series by StrauberryJam. This series showcases the evil side of the mod, which I haven't seen a lot of... check it out if you're considering becoming the next Dark Lord!

Thanks to TheDiamondMinecart for this mod showcase!

*********************************************************************************
We have set up a Facebook Page at http://www.facebook.com/LOTRMC.

On this page I post information, images and videos of new features, and more, so give it a like if you want to stay up to date with the mod's progress!

*********************************************************************************
We also have a wiki which you can visit here. There are no members-only pages on this wiki: if a page claims to be members-only, it doesn't exist yet.

You can apply for membership on the wiki in order to contribute by writing and editing new pages! If you wish to apply, please tell us why in the comment box or your application will probably be rejected. Wiki membership is only for those who want to contribute.

The Lord of the Rings Mod is a huge expansion planned for Minecraft that will aim to add the world of Middle-earth into the game. This will include content from J.R.R.Tolkien's most famous work, the Lord of the Rings, and from other related tales such as the Hobbit and the Silmarillion.

Currently the mod is still in relatively early stages of development, but new features are always being added, and we usually publish an updated beta at the start of every month with more and more content as the full release approaches.The main features in the mod so far are:
  • A new Middle-earth dimension
  • Over 100 new biomes, sub-biomes and biome variants, each with their own unique structures and resources
  • Biomes are generated in accordance with Tolkien's map of Middle-earth
  • Upgraded terrain generation which can reach all the way to layer 255
  • Hundreds of new blocks, ores, tools, foods and items
  • People and races from the Lord of the Rings universe
  • An alignment system where your actions can improve or harm your reputation with many independent factions
  • New gameplay elements dependent on the player's alignment: trading, unit hiring, and an expanded achievement system
  • Seamless multiplayer integration in all areas of the mod
  • NEI recipe mode support included by default for all the mod's new crafting tables
And some of the main planned features still to come in future updates:
  • Many more new biomes, including unexplored regions such as Rhûn and Harad
  • Even more blocks, items, and races from Middle-earth
  • Quests ranging from small tasks to epic adventures
  • Characters and structures from the Lord of the Rings storyline
  • Boss battles
  • Other realms... Valinor?
'Can you add Gandalf?'
'Can you add Minas Tirith?'
'Can you add [unoriginal suggestion of any character/race/structure/region from LOTR]?'
'Can you add Race Selection?'

Read the FAQ.

Download the current version (Public Beta 16.1 for Minecraft 1.7.2) here.

WARNING: Due to changes in 1.7, I strongly recommend you do not play pre-1.7 worlds in this version, because blocks, items, mobs, and so on have been known to disappear.

The changelog for released versions can be viewed here.

Some people have expressed interest in donating to the mod, so if you want to donate, here are some fine buttons with which to do so.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Installation
Spoiler:

Warning: If you are running the mod on an MCPC+ server, you may experience bugs, crashes or other failures that are not my fault. Please see here for an explanation of why this is not my fault, and why I cannot really do anything to fix it.

Downloads for older Minecraft versions:
(Warning: These versions may contain old bugs which have since been fixed. Use at your own risk.)

Concerning Modpacks

TheAtlanticCraft's Fellowship modpack includes the Lord of the Rings Mod along with over 50 other mods, and they have dedicated public servers running the pack.The link goes to their Minecraft Forums thread which has all the links and information you should need to download and install the modpack. Please note that feedback/bug reports/other issues concerning the Fellowship modpack should be discussed on their forums and websites, and not on this forum post.

If you want to create your own modpack including the mod:

Private modpacks (i.e. modpacks for small private servers which might be distributed among a group of friends, modpacks which will not be posted anywhere for public download):
You do not need my permission to create packs like these. Sharing the mod privately amongst a small group of individuals is fine by me, as long as it's not publicly available for download.

Public modpacks (i.e. modpacks which you intend to post on these forums or another website for public download):
You may include the mod in your modpack, but you must credit me as the author of the mod and provide a link to this forum thread.

Signature banners

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

If you would like to support the mod with one of these banners, copy and paste the following code into your signature:

Mordor
[url="http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1626486-the-lord-of-the-rings-mod-bringing-middle-earth-to-minecraft/"][img]http://i.imgur.com/8mJjS66.jpg[/img][/url]

The Shire
[url="http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1626486-the-lord-of-the-rings-mod-bringing-middle-earth-to-minecraft/"][img]http://i.imgur.com/1HUA6.jpg[/img][/url]

Fangorn
[url="http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1626486-the-lord-of-the-rings-mod-bringing-middle-earth-to-minecraft/"][img]http://i.imgur.com/7hQN7CW.jpg[/img][/url]

This mod (plugin, a patch to Minecraft source, henceforth "Mod" or "The Mod"), excepting any characters, locations, or other trademarks, which may be the intellectual property of the Tolkien Trust, Warner Bros. Entertainment, or other related entities, is the property of the Mod author (Mevans, henceforth "Owner" or "The Owner"). It may only be mirrored or reposted with advance written permission of the Owner. URL shorteners or other attempts to make money off The Owner's Mod are strictly forbidden without advance written permission. The Mod is intended as a tribute to the Lord of the Rings and the world of Middle-earth and the Owner makes no claim upon the Lord of the Rings or any associated trademarks of the Tolkien Trust, Warner Bros. Entertainment, or other related entities, nor does he affiliate himself with them in any way.

Posted Image

Register or log in to remove.

raptorked
  • Minecraft: TUStreetz

Posted 01 January 2013 - 01:38 AM

This looks EPIC!
Check out my YouTube channel at YouTube.com/TheUglyStreetz!
Come on my MC server! IP: Nameless.mcph.co

BluezOP
    BluezOP

Carpenter

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 01:43 AM

wow looks Great! when will there be a Download link?

Mevans
    Mevans

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1157 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 02:15 AM

View Postraptorked, on 01 January 2013 - 01:38 AM, said:

This looks EPIC!
Thanks! Nice to hear you think it looks good even at this early stage. There's so much more content planned.

View PostBluezOP, on 01 January 2013 - 01:43 AM, said:

wow looks Great! when will there be a Download link?
When I've added in a lot more content, probably. If lots of people ask for download links I may post one sooner.
Posted Image

0strichGuy11
  • Minecraft: mrostrichman
  • Xbox:lolconsole

Posted 01 January 2013 - 04:40 AM

Huh. This actually looks good. Going to Mordor will be fun to slay a bunch of orcs and such.

Apollo8757

Posted 01 January 2013 - 06:17 AM

I love TLTR, good luck with the mod!
Posted Image
I am a representative of VudooHosting

DaPa
    DaPa

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:36 AM

You the lion king mod was awsome, I hope this will be too Posted Image ( Right now it looks amazing O.O )
Posted Image

sampuig12
  • Minecraft: sampuig12

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:42 AM

Mate.... this mod... omg.... I cannot wait to see it Released with loads of features and all.

When you go in dimension, you should spawn in a Hobbit village ( Maybe a unique one, where you could find frodo and all of that, and you could also find the ring?)

Will there be nazgul's trying to find you when you go to the dark side?

In mordor flying in the air some nazgul on their dragons.

I can't wait it is going to be epic :) !
I will look at this page every day ^^

Good luck and happy new year.

Posted Image

Mevans
    Mevans

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1157 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:47 AM

I added some images of the Beacons of Gondor and their use to the post.

View Post0strichGuy11, on 01 January 2013 - 04:40 AM, said:

Huh. This actually looks good. Going to Mordor will be fun to slay a bunch of orcs and such.
And useful too, since the orcs are going to have a lot of drops that can't be obtained anywhere else.

View PostApollo8757, on 01 January 2013 - 06:17 AM, said:

I love TLTR, good luck with the mod!
Thanks!
Posted Image

Mevans
    Mevans

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1157 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:59 AM

View PostDaPa, on 01 January 2013 - 11:36 AM, said:

You the lion king mod was awsome, I hope this will be too Posted Image ( Right now it looks amating O.O )
This mod will definitely be on the same level content-wise as the Lion King mod, and there will be many more quests and characters.

View Postsampuig12, on 01 January 2013 - 11:42 AM, said:

Mate.... this mod... omg.... I cannot wait to see it Released with loads of features and all.

When you go in dimension, you should spawn in a Hobbit village ( Maybe a unique one, where you could find frodo and all of that, and you could also find the ring?)

Will there be nazgul's trying to find you when you go to the dark side?

In mordor flying in the air some nazgul on their dragons.

I can't wait it is going to be epic Posted Image !
I will look at this page every day ^^

Good luck and happy new year.
There will be lots of Hobbit villages in the Shire biome. I do like the idea of spawning in a unique one with some of the characters, and they could give you starting items - perhaps something like the Book of Quests in my other mod, if you've ever played that.

The Nazgul will definitely be included. And yes, their roles will depend on whether you are good or evil. For example, when you become evil enough you'll be able to work with them instead of being hunted by them, use their weapons and powers, and probably even ride on one of the Nazgul's dragons.
Posted Image

The Templars

Posted 01 January 2013 - 02:20 PM

woah

Posted Image

sampuig12

Posted 01 January 2013 - 04:40 PM

View PostMevans, on 01 January 2013 - 11:59 AM, said:

Book of Quests in my other mod, if you've ever played that.

The Nazgul will definitely be included. And yes, their roles will depend on whether you are good or evil. For example, when you become evil enough you'll be able to work with them instead of being hunted by them, use their weapons and powers, and probably even ride on one of the Nazgul's dragons.

I thought that I saw your profile picture somewhere, Lion king mod, yes, yes I have played and I love your mod, it is always included in my modded .minecraft Posted Image

Yes nice, maybe when you reach the max dark side, you get some sort of item or something and you could ride the dragons or the dark horses(if they will be included) with half dark side.

How will the alignment system work(when it will be 100% completed) ?

Posted Image

Mevans
    Mevans

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1157 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:14 PM

View Postsampuig12, on 01 January 2013 - 04:40 PM, said:

I thought that I saw your profile picture somewhere, Lion king mod, yes, yes I have played and I love your mod, it is always included in my modded .minecraft Posted Image

Yes nice, maybe when you reach the max dark side, you get some sort of item or something and you could ride the dragons or the dark horses(if they will be included) with half dark side.

How will the alignment system work(when it will be 100% completed) ?
One of the pictures I posted in the Hobbit section has the alignment bar in it. It's a meter at the top of the screen and the Ring represents your alignment, and it will move left and right when you do good or bad deeds in Middle-earth.

Some examples: Killing orcs might move you to the left, the good side, and going into a hobbit village and destroying all the homes would move you to the evil side. If you're evil-aligned, orcs might follow you around and fight for you instead of trying to kill you, Elves would attack you on sight, and you would be able to use Mordor weapons. But if you're good-aligned, you will be able to use things like Gandalf's staff, and do quests for the hobbits, and trade with the dwarves at lower prices.

And it will take a long time to move completely to the left or right of the alignment meter, to make sure there are lots of things to do. The quests you can do may also depend on the alignment.
Posted Image

sampuig12

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:59 PM

View PostMevans, on 01 January 2013 - 05:14 PM, said:

One of the pictures I posted in the Hobbit section has the alignment bar in it. It's a meter at the top of the screen and the Ring represents your alignment, and it will move left and right when you do good or bad deeds in Middle-earth.

Some examples: Killing orcs might move you to the left, the good side, and going into a hobbit village and destroying all the homes would move you to the evil side. If you're evil-aligned, orcs might follow you around and fight for you instead of trying to kill you, Elves would attack you on sight, and you would be able to use Mordor weapons. But if you're good-aligned, you will be able to use things like Gandalf's staff, and do quests for the hobbits, and trade with the dwarves at lower prices.

And it will take a long time to move completely to the left or right of the alignment meter, to make sure there are lots of things to do. The quests you can do may also depend on the alignment.

Ok sounds great, will you add a elf village like some sort of giant trees with houses built in or something in that nature ?

Gandalfs staff for good and Saruman staff for evil, sounds good.
I'll post if ever I have any more ideas that come to mind.

Posted Image

Mevans
    Mevans

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1157 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:12 PM

View Postsampuig12, on 01 January 2013 - 07:59 PM, said:

Ok sounds great, will you add a elf village like some sort of giant trees with houses built in or something in that nature ?

Gandalfs staff for good and Saruman staff for evil, sounds good.
I'll post if ever I have any more ideas that come to mind.
There will probably be elven tree villages in the Lothlorien biome.

And that would be nice, ideas are always appreciated.
Posted Image

sampuig12

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:25 AM

Saruman Staff:
Right Click Throws FireBall.
Hold Right Click to charge the staff, Release it and it would throw your enemy back.
Left Click Would deal 3 heart damage and 35?% Chance of lighting your enemy with fire.

Gandalf Staff:

Right Click Heals 4 Hearts.
Hold Right Click to charge the staff, Release it and it would Blind your enemy for 5 seconds.(Great for Online but if in single player you could make the enemy run in circles or something like if he was blinded)
Left Click Would deal 3 hearts damage and would heal you 1 heart, per hit.

Ps: Cool down or magic bar or maybe recharging your staff with an item for the right click would be best!
Ps²: I think it would be nice to have 2 different staffs with 2 different ability's, So if your a good you can Have the staff to heal kind of a support weapon and attack with a secondary weapon, whereas the evil one, you get more of a attack/defence feel to it.

Posted Image

sampuig12

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:44 AM

I have an idea but I don't really know if you will be able to do, I will throw it out anyway:

Spawn in the world Unique places, minas tirith, Sauron tower etc.. etc... Ok?

Now In order to get to them you would :

Find them With luck or some guidance
OR
Find Npc's(Npc with horse and carriage ?) in villages that could teleporte you/take you there in exchange for some .... or some...

But if you are evil he will not be able to take you to let's say "minas tirith"  and vice versa.
And maybe add neutral places where both sides could go.

There you go, that was my idea ^^ not sure if it is hard or if you could do this, but it could be interesting at least there would be unique places where you could visit to get some stuff etc...

ps: You could rebuild areas (depending good or evil which places) in exchange for some... at least if you grieved it you could rebuild and start of fresh ^^.

Posted Image

DanThaBaws
  • Minecraft: DanThaBaws

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:52 AM

It would be awesome if this could be released sooner. Can't wait :).

sampuig12

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:53 AM

Other Idea but again not saying : Do this first release or anything, just giving you ideas For Future of the mod.(It has a lot of potential)

-Eventually adding BIG quests, Taking some npc's with you to fight the giant squid, Maybe a giant battle at minas tirith? (that would be very hard but epic xD!)
And why not fight Gandalf or Saruman in a "BIG quest" at least you would only have 1 Staff, that you couldn't really destroy or you could respawn if it is destroyed.

-Adding Wargs mounts with orcs on top, that would spawn in plains, in groups.
-Adding Ents that you could mount if you gain their trust by....

-Taking Npc's to follow you around and help you, and maybe if you shown enough "respect" towards your good or evil friends maybe get some famous npc's to follow you ?

Posted Image

ShadowS56
  • Minecraft: ShadowS56

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:06 AM

View Postsampuig12, on 03 January 2013 - 12:53 AM, said:

-Adding those Dog Type mounts with orcs on top, that would spawn in plains, in groups.
-Adding Those big walking trees that you could mount if you are good or gain their trust by....

The dog type mounts are called "Wargs", and the big walking trees are called "Ents".

Anyway, I have never seen any LOTR mod like this! This one is much more different than all the others I've seen and looks like it will actually be finished! I will definitely be getting this when it's released! Great job!