48 replies to this topic

Syfaro
    Syfaro

Retired Guru

• Retired Staff
  • 5209 posts
  • Minecraft: Syfaro

Posted 31 December 2012 - 06:29 AM

Note: This information is no longer correct for the new launcher (Minecraft 1.6 and above.)

Table of Contents

What is LWJGL
Auto Updater
Manually Updating

What is LWJGL?

LWJGL is the LightWeight Java Game Library. Essentially, it is what Minecraft uses for graphics, sound, and input. The latest version of LWJGL is 2.9.1. Currently, the game ships with LWJGL 2.4.2 on the old launcher. However, the new launcher will always provide the latest build.

Why update?
  • Updating will fix some input bugs where keys seem to get stuck if you click at the same time. It also removes the "ghost" mouse pointer clicking.
  • Some users report a performance increase upon updating.
  • This can also potentially fix some issues regarding sound not working/cutting out.
  • It has been reported to fix intermittent crashes on Windows.
  • It has also been known to resolve the "cannot get JAWT interface" error for Mac users using Java 7.
Notes
  • With 2.8.1, on most 64 bit computers, the lwjgl64.dll update will cause a black screen crash. You can revert to the backup version you have saved if needed.
  • Again on several 64 bit computers, the OpenAL64.dll update can cause a sound glitch that makes bursting sounds. Keep a backup in case you need to rollback.
  • Version 2.8.5 generally breaks shift-clicking, 2.8.4 and 2.9.0 does not - you can change the url in your browser to access 2.8.4 or 2.9.0 rather than 2.8.5.
  • With version 2.8.5 on Windows, clicking mouse button while holding W/A/S/D keys stops the walking. This bug is already fixed in LWJGL 2.9.0
  • LWJGL 2.8.5 has a bug which sends a false signal that the user released all currently pressed keyboard keys when a mouse button is pressed. That means that your building will be significantly slower. Do not update to this version if this bothers you.
    • This bug seems to be fixed when playing in fullscreen mode (Default F11), or updating to LWJGL 2.9.0.
Auto Updater

I have created a simple utility to update LWJGL to the current, most stable build of LWJGL.
You can download it here.

Current versions the auto updater has: 2.9.0, 2.8.4 (old version, do not use unless you have a reason)

Manually Updating

Where to download
http://lwjgl.org/download.php
Select the latest stable release and download the lwjgl-X.X.X.zip. You should also backup your .minecraft folder before following the steps below. As a last resort, you can use the Minecraft Launcher's Force Download option to reset the files.

What to replace
In the lwjgl-X.X.X.zip, there should be two folders, named jar and natives. You should replace the files in .minecraft/bin and .minecraft/bin/natives with the versions from the .zip.

The .minecraft folder's location varies by operating system.
  • Windows: %appdata%/.minecraft
  • Mac OS X: ~/Library/Application Support/minecraft
  • GNU/Linux: ~/.minecraft

-----

All operating systems
You should replace these files in .minecraft/bin/
  • jinput.jar
  • lwjgl.jar
  • lwjgl_util.jar
Windows
You should replace these files in .minecraft\bin\natives\
  • jinput-dx8.dll
  • jinput-dx8_64.dll
  • jinput-raw.dll
  • jinput-raw_64.dll
  • lwjgl.dll
  • lwjgl64.dll
  • OpenAL32.dll
  • OpenAL64.dll
Mac
You should replace these files in minecraft/bin/natives/
  • libjinput-osx.jnilib
  • liblwjgl.jnilib
  • openal.dylib
  • libopenal.dylib
    • For this one, create a copy of openal.dylib, then rename it to libopenal.dylib
GNU/Linux
You should replace these files in .minecraft/bin/natives/
  • libjinput-linux.so
  • libjinput-linux64.so
  • liblwjgl.so
  • liblwjgl64.so
  • libopenal.so
  • libopenal64.so
(information from the Minecraft Wiki)

Minecraft API - A JSON API for fetching information about Minecraft & Minecraft servers

Read my blog about tech stuff!

Register or log in to remove.

p0isonra1n

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:30 AM

I can find the download on Github.

Syfaro
    Syfaro

Retired Guru

• Retired Staff
  • 5209 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:06 AM

View Postp0isonra1n, on 28 January 2013 - 03:30 AM, said:

I can find the download on Github.

Do you mean that you can't find it?

If so, it's right here.

Minecraft API - A JSON API for fetching information about Minecraft & Minecraft servers

WinneonSword
  • Minecraft: WinneonSword

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:34 AM

Thank you very much, Mr. Syfaro! :D

Cruelblazer

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:28 AM

I am on my mac and I have no clue how to use it. The dropbox file doesn't work so I downloaded the master from github and when i drag it into terminal it says "Naafiyans-MacBook-Pro:~ naafiyan$ /Users/naafiyan/Downloads/LWJGL-Updater-master/run.sh
/Users/naafiyan/Downloads/LWJGL-Updater-master/run.sh: line 1: cd: ./dist: No such file or directory
Unable to access jarfile LWJGL_Updater.jar"

Syfaro
    Syfaro

Retired Guru

• Retired Staff
  • 5209 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:45 AM

View PostCruelblazer, on 29 January 2013 - 08:28 AM, said:

I am on my mac and I have no clue how to use it. The dropbox file doesn't work so I downloaded the master from github and when i drag it into terminal it says "Naafiyans-MacBook-Pro:~ naafiyan$ /Users/naafiyan/Downloads/LWJGL-Updater-master/run.sh
/Users/naafiyan/Downloads/LWJGL-Updater-master/run.sh: line 1: cd: ./dist: No such file or directory
Unable to access jarfile LWJGL_Updater.jar"

Type "cd /Users/naafiyan/Downloads/LWJGL-Updater-master/" (without quotes) try again.

Cruelblazer

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:44 AM

And how do I do it on my Windows PC?

Oh and it also gives about the same thing again? After I type the command in the quotes What do I do? Drag it and drop it? copy and paste? Tried both and it says unable to access jarfile. I am on the admin account on my mac.

escape444

Posted 14 March 2013 - 02:58 PM

syfaro your program didn't work for my minecraft

my mc stil crash en say failed to start game

Syfaro
    Syfaro

Retired Guru

• Retired Staff
  • 5209 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 03:29 PM

View Postescape444, on 14 March 2013 - 02:58 PM, said:

syfaro your program didn't work for my minecraft

my mc stil crash en say failed to start game

It might not be that LWJGL is causing your problem.

Please make a new thread about it with the crash log.

FSMAcolyte

Posted 15 March 2013 - 10:34 AM

Quick question, what version does the official minecraft use? 2.4.2? I'm using multiMC so I have an instance of untouched minecraft 1.4.7 with all its original files.

However, I'm currently not on my computer and won't be for a couple days, and need to check out something.

Syfaro
    Syfaro

Retired Guru

• Retired Staff
  • 5209 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 04:02 PM

View PostFSMAcolyte, on 15 March 2013 - 10:34 AM, said:

Quick question, what version does the official minecraft use? 2.4.2? I'm using multiMC so I have an instance of untouched minecraft 1.4.7 with all its original files.

However, I'm currently not on my computer and won't be for a couple days, and need to check out something.

2.4.2 IIRC.

TheAtomicOption

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:29 AM

I have the stuck movement key problem, but updating to 2.8.4 didn't solve it. Other posts have talked about some java versions having the problem and not others, but I have this issue even when running with different java versions including 7u17 64bit, 7u17 32bit and 6u34 64bit. (all running on windows 7)

I haven't figured out how to reproduce the stuck key consistently, but it always happens within a few minutes after I start playing. Pressing the stuck key again unsticks it, but this behavior makes doing anything around lava, cliffs or dangerous mobs suicidal. Posted Image

Is this related to the unresolved Keyboard.isKeyDown(Keyboard.Key_2) issue listed for LWJGL on github?

relevant support thread.

Are there other known causes / potential solutions to this problem?

Syfaro
    Syfaro

Retired Guru

• Retired Staff
  • 5209 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:28 PM

View PostTheAtomicOption, on 10 April 2013 - 08:29 AM, said:

I have the stuck movement key problem, but updating to 2.8.4 didn't solve it. Other posts have talked about some java versions having the problem and not others, but I have this issue even when running with different java versions including 7u17 64bit, 7u17 32bit and 6u34 64bit. (all running on windows 7)

I haven't figured out how to reproduce the stuck key consistently, but it always happens within a few minutes after I start playing. Pressing the stuck key again unsticks it, but this behavior makes doing anything around lava, cliffs or dangerous mobs suicidal. Posted Image

Is this related to the unresolved Keyboard.isKeyDown(Keyboard.Key_2) issue listed for LWJGL on github?

relevant support thread.

Are there other known causes / potential solutions to this problem?

Not sure, sorry.

Have you tried the development build of LWJGL?

Sharkblast52
  • Minecraft: Shark4675
  • Xbox:Shark4675

Posted 20 April 2013 - 03:54 PM

Huh.....guess you learn something new everyday had no idea your suppose to replace the .dill files as well as the jars
Minecraft is awesome but the more powerful god is not Notch it's the creator of valve
  Posted Image

connerb0844

Posted 26 April 2013 - 11:52 PM

I need to do this to fix minecraft but... I have no idea what im doing can anyone tell me what I should be doing?

cestislife
    cestislife

Resident Fuzzball

• Sectional Moderator
  • 6587 posts
  • Minecraft: LORDVENOM0001

Posted 26 April 2013 - 11:59 PM

View Postconnerb0844, on 26 April 2013 - 11:52 PM, said:

I need to do this to fix minecraft but... I have no idea what im doing can anyone tell me what I should be doing?

Follow the instructions listed here, or use the auto updater linked above.
More intricate details are found on the wiki, http://www.minecraft...ls/Update_LWJGL

Posted Image

MCreepaPasta
  • Minecraft: MCreepaPasta

Posted 30 April 2013 - 02:50 PM

I'm on minecraft 1.4.7 so if i update it what will happen?
Deniably Me
Posted Image

Syfaro
    Syfaro

Retired Guru

• Retired Staff
  • 5209 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 06:47 PM

View PostMCreepaPasta, on 30 April 2013 - 02:50 PM, said:

I'm on minecraft 1.4.7 so if i update it what will happen?

I'm not quite sure what you mean. Minecraft version doesn't matter (excluding the prerelease).

connerb0844

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:16 PM

can someone help the auto updater  doesn't work it just gets minecraft stuck on *updating minecraft please wait* (I was using the 2.9.0 version)

Syfaro
    Syfaro

Retired Guru

• Retired Staff
  • 5209 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:07 PM

View Postconnerb0844, on 02 May 2013 - 09:16 PM, said:

can someone help the auto updater  doesn't work it just gets minecraft stuck on *updating minecraft please wait* (I was using the 2.9.0 version)

There's a whole section on how to update it yourself.