• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Why do Christians have such a hard time accepting there is no afterlife?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
323 replies to this topic

ZombieSeaweed

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:07 AM

I really just don't understand something Christians, why won't you except the sad truth of reality that there is no afterlife? Once you die, it's over. The End. It's as simple as that. I know convincing yourself that there is an afterlife might make you feel better, but it really is pointless to do that, as it is wrong. I imagine "life" after you die as the time before you were born. You don't think and have no memory of anything, not even existing. Why won't Christians just accept that already? Now I WISH there was an afterlife where you get rewarded forever with happiness. But, c'mon. Do you actually believe that?

Register or log in to remove.

Unyobro
    Unyobro

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1147 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:17 AM

As if you have any proof of your claim either. I'm agnostic and I think your post is rude and uncalled for.

CycloneX5
  • Minecraft: CycloneX5

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:18 AM

They are free to believe what they want, just as I am free to NOT believe.
Posted Image

ZombieSeaweed

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:21 AM

View PostUnyobro, on 28 December 2012 - 12:17 AM, said:

As if you have any proof of your claim either. I'm agnostic and I think your post is rude and uncalled for.
You always have to prove a negative before you prove a positive. So logically, heaven and god do not exist.

Ex: I think whenever you go to sleep you are teleported to mars untill you wake up. Whenever people see you "sleeping, it's just a hologram projected by aliens. You lose all your memory when you are teleported back however.
Now I can't prove that claim to be true at all, but I also can't prove it is not true. So debate wise, you have to assume it's not true until there is evidence.

Unyobro
    Unyobro

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1147 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:22 AM

Your claim is just as unprovable. You just assume it's true. I share your assumption but I disagree with you stating it as if it's a fact. No one knows what happens when we die.

Btw you're being too specific. Most religions won't accept your viewpoint.

ZombieSeaweed

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:26 AM

View PostUnyobro, on 28 December 2012 - 12:22 AM, said:

Your claim is just as unprovable. You just assume it's true. I share your assumption but I disagree with you stating it as if it's a fact. No one knows what happens when we die.

Btw you're being too specific. Most religions won't accept your viewpoint.
You're right. Nobody knows. But logically, we have to assume nothing happens until we have evidence.

Acetyl
    Acetyl

Enderman Ender

• Members
  • 8242 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:26 AM

View PostUnyobro, on 28 December 2012 - 12:22 AM, said:

Logic says, our body undergoes rapid, massive necrosis in all nerve centers required to perceive existence, or form "reality".  Base logic then says, that equates to non existence, a state of not being.  To assume anything would come afterwards is the irrational claim.

I personally believe all that waits after death, is oblivion.  Perhaps I am wrong.  Perhaps human essence is liberate from our shell, and moves to another plane of existence.  I don't care one way or another.  It's an inevitability, that each of us will eventually meet after the waves of time have washed us from the earth.
-

ZombieSeaweed

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:31 AM

I also apoligize to asking to asking this to only Christians. This is to religious people in general. I just asked it at christians because that is the biggest religion on the internet.

Unyobro
    Unyobro

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1147 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:31 AM

It doesn't matter what logic implies, the fact remains that we don't know what happens after death. We know our bodies decompose but when someone dies we don't know if that person lives on in another state. For all we know our "soul" could wake up in another dimension and once explained to us it would make perfect sense. You can't prove it either way. So that means this topic is a failure from the start. Asking christians to get with the program and believe your assumption over theirs is silly and unfair.

Mhyles
    Mhyles

Glowstone Miner

• Members
  • 3109 posts
  • Minecraft: Mhyles

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:38 AM

Why can't you accept that no one knows what will happen after death? And why is this just against the Christian religion, when there are many other religions that believe in the afterlife?

ZombieSeaweed

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:38 AM

View PostUnyobro, on 28 December 2012 - 12:31 AM, said:

It doesn't matter what logic implies, the fact remains that we don't know what happens after death. We know our bodies decompose but when someone dies we don't know if that person lives on in another state. For all we know our "soul" could wake up in another dimension and once explained to us it would make perfect sense. You can't prove it either way. So that means this topic is a failure from the start. Asking christians to get with the program and believe your assumption over theirs is silly and unfair.
Consciousness and reality are just chemical signals in your brain. All thought is, is your brain sending some electric pulses to other parts of your bodt to trigger actions. All our soul is that, just chemicals and signals in your brain. All happiness is, is a certain horomone released into your brain to tell yourself you did a good job. Would that be heaven then? Would your brain ve reconstructed in heaven and have happy chemicals released in it constantly?
Afterlife is a simple coping mechanism people have embraced for years to comfort the idea of immortality. While I personally find solace in my finite existence, I can understand why they feel the need to tell themselves fairy tales. If they actually thought about eternity, and what it really is I think they would actually plead for mortality.

Lord_Dust_Bunny
  • Minecraft: Lord_Dust_Bunny

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:39 AM

Well, how do you know there isn't a afterlife? We have no way of knowing whether or not there is one, so why not believe in a afterlife? Either way, you don't find out until you are dead if it's true.

Posted Image

ZombieSeaweed

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:42 AM

View PostLord_Dust_Bunny, on 28 December 2012 - 12:39 AM, said:

Well, how do you know there isn't a afterlife? We have no way of knowing whether or not there is one, so why not believe in a afterlife? Either way, you don't find out until you are dead if it's true.
Read the thread before you post. I already answered this question.

FireroseNekowolf
  • Minecraft: FireroseNekowolf

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:45 AM

Come on, this topic is just ripe for bashing right from the get-go. Yo Buddhists, why do you think attachment is the cause of suffering, I mean come on already, I'm not suffering from being attached to something. Or Wiccans, why do you embrace a philosophy of pacifism, I mean, just come on.

Great job, I mean, really. Why can't you just accept, oh hey, they do believe in an afterlife? I mean, come on. Yeah, I think I've captured the attitude of your statement there. Maybe a bit more up-front with the snark, but the general sentiments seem to be the same.
What happens when the Universe divides by zero?
It gets a result.

creepo103
    creepo103

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1236 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:47 AM

View PostZombieSeaweed, on 28 December 2012 - 12:21 AM, said:

You always have to prove a negative before you prove a positive. So logically, heaven and god do not exist.

Ex: I think whenever you go to sleep you are teleported to mars untill you wake up. Whenever people see you "sleeping, it's just a hologram projected by aliens. You lose all your memory when you are teleported back however.
Now I can't prove that claim to be true at all, but I also can't prove it is not true. So debate wise, you have to assume it's not true until there is evidence.
Easily disproving that. You can touch the person in their sleep NOT HOLOGRAM!

On topic-

Well let's see...your saying that religious people need to realize that there is no afterlife.
You see,people have different beliefs. So you believe that the universe was created by something scientific (I'm just saying that because I might be wrong saying that you believe that the universe was created by the Big Bang,etc.) So you believe there isn't an afterlife.
Christians believe that God created the universe. They believe there is an afterlife.

Atheists... thinking they are the only people that are right and others are wrong... wow,just wow.

EDIT: ZombieSeaweed,read my signature.

Lord_Dust_Bunny
  • Minecraft: Lord_Dust_Bunny

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:48 AM

View PostZombieSeaweed, on 28 December 2012 - 12:42 AM, said:

Read the thread before you post. I already answered this question.
Depends. If you believe in the soul of a human as a seperate, ghostly entity, then there could easily be a afterlife. Can you prove to me that there is not a soul, or that the soul, if it exists, only exists as long as the body does?

Posted Image

ZombieSeaweed

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:50 AM

View PostLord_Dust_Bunny, on 28 December 2012 - 12:48 AM, said:

Depends. If you believe in the soul of a human as a seperate, ghostly entity, then there could easily be a afterlife. Can you prove to me that there is not a soul, or that the soul, if it exists, only exists as long as the body does?
Nope, I can not prove there is no soul. But you can't prove that there is one. So we have to assume there is not.

CycloneX5
  • Minecraft: CycloneX5

Posted 28 December 2012 - 01:04 AM

See, this is why we can't have nice things. Many atheists complain about how "evil" and "backwards" religion is, yet they go around being pompous and haughty and spitting right in the face of religious people by saying stuff like this.

And no, we DON'T have to assume that there is no such thing as a soul, or afterlife or whatever. Instead, be a little open-minded and accept that just because there might not yet be proof for something, that thing is fake or does not exist.

I am an atheist myself, and while I don't believe in an afterlife, I don't pretend to know that nothing happens after we die. I'll know when I'm dead.
Posted Image

SSky
    SSky

Portal Expert

• Members
  • 5404 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 01:09 AM

Well... yes.

You should in divert to the option in which the assumed theory is false if not provable for scientific purposes. But that really doesn't mean that everyone who believes in that theory has to accept it is false in other situations.

Ohai. I'm THAT guy. You know me.

Something something Fimgaming. Shameless Z. Plug out.

Ralath0n
    Ralath0n

Diamond Miner

• Members
  • 879 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 01:14 AM

While I fully comprehend your viewpoint and I too believe the human mind simply fades into the dark oblivion of nonexistence after death you sure know how to be disrespectful.

As you might imagine the prospect of being a insignificant meaningless fluff of carbon in the vast uncaring universe for an unimaginably brief flash of existence is quite disheartening to people. Thus they prefer the stories of various religions that provide an artificial meaning to their lives.

However this does not affect you in the slightest as long as they do not bring it up. So there is no reason for you to attack them on the subject unless you are provoked. And even if you are provoked it is common courtesy to be respectful and to listen to your debating opponent. You were not provoked, definitely not respectful and fail to properly convey your arguments in a debate nobody asked for.

If you want to debate religion there are plenty of threads around on this forum. No need to add another to the list. Especially in this degrading tone.
“Attempting to debate with a person who has abandoned reason is like giving medicine to the dead.”
       - Thomas Paine.