Latest News Article

Chests next to each other!

chests placing shift shifting

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

NitrogenSnow
  • Minecraft: NitrogenSnow

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:52 AM

This isn't a very big idea, but many people have been wanting to place single chests next to each other without them changing into a double chest. When they brought out the shift-clicking on crafting table thing this gave me an idea.

When you shift then place a chest next to another chest, both chests will not change into a double chest and will be able to be placed next to each other. This makes neater storage areas and allows you to have single chests next to each other for things like diamonds which don't often take up a whole double chest.

Placing double chests is a little different, because you would need to make a double chest, then shift place a single chest next to that and then turn that single chest into a double chest. It would still work, just be a little more complicated.

Thoughts?
Intro Poem to my Channel: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=X9YIFTE3rjA

Register or log in to remove.

Odiefrom
    Odiefrom

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 568 posts
  • Minecraft: Odiefrom
  • Xbox:Zeoc1

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:57 AM

I like it, especially since this could remove the hindrance of not able to have a single by a double (if memory serves, that was cuz the code didn't like trying to merge double with single chests, idk).

One question though: why would making a double chest have to change?  Why not make a double chest in the way we do now (just slapping a single by a single), and side-by-side singles (SBS chests?) would be by shifting for the second chest's placement?

Support :)

NitrogenSnow

Posted 23 December 2012 - 12:12 PM

View PostOdiefrom, on 23 December 2012 - 11:57 AM, said:

I like it, especially since this could remove the hindrance of not able to have a single by a double (if memory serves, that was cuz the code didn't like trying to merge double with single chests, idk).

One question though: why would making a double chest have to change?  Why not make a double chest in the way we do now (just slapping a single by a single), and side-by-side singles (SBS chests?) would be by shifting for the second chest's placement?

Support Posted Image

We would only have to change how the double chest is made if you would like 2 double chests next to one another. The first double chest will be made as normal, then the second double chest you would need to shift place a single chest next to the double chest first before making the second double chest. This is because the game will be confused as to which chest should form a double chest (the reason we can't do it now) so you would have to tell it not to combine, and then combine it using another method.

Hope that doesn't sound confusing.

sanoj00
    sanoj00

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 654 posts
  • Minecraft: sanoj00

Posted 23 December 2012 - 12:14 PM

Support.
Posted Image

Kholdstare
    Kholdstare

Blaze Extinguisher

• Members
  • 4841 posts
  • Location: I could probably put an overused/bad joke here, but instead I put this when I should be telling the world my location.
  • Minecraft: Giygas924

Posted 23 December 2012 - 12:45 PM

Not much to say, it's a pretty simple (but good) idea.

Support.

Posted ImageDid something happen to you in your childhood to give you this unreasonable fear of rutabaga?Posted Image

BrunoARG
  • Minecraft: BrunoARG

Posted 23 December 2012 - 12:54 PM

No, I want large chests... I know that sometimes, in a shop, for example, you don´t have some space.

But, mojang is not going to change a chest because of you and your shop.  You have to find the way to place the most chests as possible.

I would support the idea of the possibility of placing large chests next to each other, because it is not possible.
Posted Image
Click on the image, I need your help! SHARE!

Odiefrom
    Odiefrom

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 568 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 01:26 PM

View PostNitrogenSnow, on 23 December 2012 - 12:12 PM, said:

We would only have to change how the double chest is made if you would like 2 double chests next to one another. The first double chest will be made as normal, then the second double chest you would need to shift place a single chest next to the double chest first before making the second double chest. This is because the game will be confused as to which chest should form a double chest (the reason we can't do it now) so you would have to tell it not to combine, and then combine it using another method.

Hope that doesn't sound confusing.

Completely cleared up, sorry I misunderstood!  Sounds great, once again another wave of support :)

Bull_Power

Posted 23 December 2012 - 01:37 PM

Support

Posted Image

Mulan15262

Posted 23 December 2012 - 02:12 PM

I support.

Shift-placing should be used for more things, though. Maybe placing things on a block with a GUI.
Posted ImageHere is the dragon I am raising now. In the spoiler are my grown dragons.
Spoiler:

Odiefrom
    Odiefrom

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 568 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 02:14 PM

View PostMulan15262, on 23 December 2012 - 02:12 PM, said:

Shift-placing should be used for more things, though. Maybe placing things on a block with a GUI.

1.4.6 added that.  You can put blocks on furnaces, dispencers, CBs, etc.

slowpr0
    slowpr0

Carpenter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  • Minecraft: slowpr0

Posted 23 December 2012 - 03:38 PM

YES.
I really need this in my Mushroom Biome house because it's really cramped in there (even with 2 connected red mushrooms) and I use different chests for different things (like a wood chest, mining chest, mob drops, etc.) and really do need a way to differenciate between all the chests.
Because Slowbro is just so pro.

abpop
    abpop

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1088 posts
  • Minecraft: wormhole98

Posted 23 December 2012 - 05:19 PM

I definitely support this, but there should be a small gap between them (even though they are on adjacent blocks) so that they do not look like a double chest...
Posted Image

Pxex
    Pxex

Void Walker

• Members
  • 1758 posts
  • Minecraft: Pxex

Posted 23 December 2012 - 05:45 PM

View Postabpop, on 23 December 2012 - 05:19 PM, said:

I definitely support this, but there should be a small gap between them (even though they are on adjacent blocks) so that they do not look like a double chest...

Chests are already not a full block, so that should not be a problem.

sugarmaster1
  • Minecraft: sugarmaster1

Posted 23 December 2012 - 06:22 PM

This is such a simple, but brilliant idea, I had to post on it. Such a great addition to MineCraft.

Support and +1.

ProlexVids

Posted 26 December 2012 - 02:24 PM

I would definitely want to see it be put into the game.

Support.
Check out my youtube channel here: www.youtube.com/extremesupremex

Frog81
    Frog81

Enderdragon Slayer

• Members
  • 10469 posts
  • Minecraft: frog81
  • Xbox:Gorfeywog

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:45 AM

Support! This is the best way to add this feature. Sometimes might mess something up, but rarely.
Posted ImagePosted Image

EpicEnderMiner

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:46 AM

I like this. It would definately come in handy, support.

My current avatar is: Raistlin Majere from the Dragonlance novels.

Posted Image

EdenR
    EdenR

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:58 AM

This would make store-rooms much more efficient.  And it doesn't sound all that difficult to implement.  Support!
Posted Image

NitrogenSnow

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:22 PM

View Postabpop, on 23 December 2012 - 05:19 PM, said:

The chest doesn't occupy a whole block? Also, the fronts of the chests have miniature locks so you can definitely tell.

View PostEdenR, on 27 December 2012 - 02:58 AM, said:

This would make store-rooms much more efficient.  And it doesn't sound all that difficult to implement.  Support!

Precisely, now you will be able to use nearly all available space except the ceiling (unless you use slabs!)

View PostBrunoARG, on 23 December 2012 - 12:54 PM, said:

No, I want large chests... I know that sometimes, in a shop, for example, you don´t have some space.

But, mojang is not going to change a chest because of you and your shop.  You have to find the way to place the most chests as possible.

I would support the idea of the possibility of placing large chests next to each other, because it is not possible.

I said nothing about having a shop. Where did you get that idea? I'm merely suggesting an options feature that's easy to implement and improves storage and aesthetics. Besides, Minecraft is about having the game how you want isn't it?

aminecraftguy00
  • Minecraft: aminecraftguy00

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:27 PM

Once again I was mislead by the title to believing the OP was a PE n00b who can't post things in the right sections. But anywho, I support.
To all of you people who think Notch is still working on the game, he stopped working on Minecraft in late 2011. Get your facts straight and stop spamming his twitter about Minecraft updates.