• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

BodOwens
    BodOwens

Void Walker

• Members
  • 1505 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 06:19 AM

Wow, it does look a lot better! Is the enforced fog cliche in swamps still applies?
Hey guys, I have an idea! let's be negative and a total ass towards the game developers! that will make them listen to us!
Note the sarcasm.

Register or log in to remove.

FeatherGuy

Posted 24 December 2012 - 06:26 AM

I don't think cypress trees live in swamps, although willows certainly do live near water. How about mangrove trees? They look like cypress with the mass of roots but shorter and have wider crowns. And the water level could be shorter.

Kholdstare
    Kholdstare

Blaze Extinguisher

• Members
  • 4843 posts
  • Location: I could probably put an overused/bad joke here, but instead I put this when I should be telling the world my location.
  • Minecraft: Giygas924

Posted 24 December 2012 - 12:58 PM

View PostBodOwens, on 24 December 2012 - 06:19 AM, said:

Wow, it does look a lot better! Is the enforced fog cliche in swamps still applies?

Fog would look great. I suppose it would be easy to add; whenever it rains, just create a new cloud layer just above the water and force the render distance to tiny (or keep your render distance and just force bedrock fog or something).

View PostFeatherGuy, on 24 December 2012 - 06:26 AM, said:

I don't think cypress trees live in swamps, although willows certainly do live near water. How about mangrove trees? They look like cypress with the mass of roots but shorter and have wider crowns. And the water level could be shorter.

I based the trees off of what popped up in Google Images. Apparently, they DO exist in wetlands. According to this article, anyway.

I wouldn't mind mangrove trees, but I dislike short trees in general. Since they'll have lots of short branches and leaves at the water level, you'll find it hard to boat across the swamp. You'll also bump your head all the time on land.

(edit: Just saw that Vasouv said no in the poll. Gave me a laugh.)

Posted ImageDid something happen to you in your childhood to give you this unreasonable fear of rutabaga?Posted Image

Xrazr28shootrX
  • Minecraft: Xrazr28shootrX
  • Xbox:Xrazr28shootrX

Posted 24 December 2012 - 01:24 PM

I came here thinking it would just be another idiot ranting about swamps, but this is actually a very good idea! You have my support.
Posted Image

aheberle

Posted 24 December 2012 - 01:43 PM

Recently I've seen a lot of threads whining about swamps. You have the same problem, but you act on the problem and propose an answer to that problem, instead of simply whining that swamps have to be removed. I like your ideas and I like that you do not whine. Support.
Punching trees, a life-long task, never to use an axe, the best and most refreshing way. Punching Trees, coming to a Minecraft near you

RhinoMan
    RhinoMan

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 02:41 PM

I think its awesome. And, what about crocediles? They will be pretty rare and hostile. Or maybe just neutral and drop stuff like croc teeth, used in weapons. Or maybe croc leather.

Kholdstare
    Kholdstare

Blaze Extinguisher

• Members
  • 4843 posts
  • Location: I could probably put an overused/bad joke here, but instead I put this when I should be telling the world my location.

Posted 24 December 2012 - 04:01 PM

View PostRhinoMan, on 24 December 2012 - 02:41 PM, said:

I think its awesome. And, what about crocediles? They will be pretty rare and hostile. Or maybe just neutral and drop stuff like croc teeth, used in weapons. Or maybe croc leather.

Maybe, but crocodiles and alligators have been suggested to death. I'm not saying that they are bad ideas, but if we're adding alligators then swamps will have more biome-specific mobs than any other biome. I'm not saying that that is a bad thing, but they would be better suited to a mob/biome update than simply overhauling swamps.

View PostXrazr28shootrX, on 24 December 2012 - 01:24 PM, said:

I came here thinking it would just be another idiot ranting about swamps, but this is actually a very good idea! You have my support.

View Postaheberle, on 24 December 2012 - 01:43 PM, said:

Recently I've seen a lot of threads whining about swamps. You have the same problem, but you act on the problem and propose an answer to that problem, instead of simply whining that swamps have to be removed. I like your ideas and I like that you do not whine. Support.

Thank you. You don't know how many people I see that make senseless rants on things. Even when the thing they want changed is actually worthwhile to change, they make no suggestions on how to improve it. This thread was actually kind of a response to those threads (specifically the "Swamps must go!" thread).

View PostFeatherGuy, on 24 December 2012 - 06:26 AM, said:

Coming back on this: I'm thinking of an idea for an improved terrain generator. I imagine that mangroves grow in tropical areas (if they don't... oh well). The generator i'm thinking of would pretty much allow for both temperate swamps and tropical swamps (as well as a bunch of other biomes like savannas and redwood forests). The swamps I suggested could be temperate swamps, while tropical swamps could replace the cypresses with mangroves.

Posted ImageDid something happen to you in your childhood to give you this unreasonable fear of rutabaga?Posted Image

ChunkNinja
  • Minecraft: ChunkNinja
  • Xbox:One: Boycott

Posted 24 December 2012 - 05:56 PM

Good idea adding some new trees to swamps, but how about adding vines to the willow tree.
The cypress trees just look right, with those big twisting roots and that, perfect.
As for the color change, I kind of like the depressing color of the swamps, but that's just my opinion. Posted Image (I guess i'm weird like that.)

nearbeer
    nearbeer

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1021 posts
  • Minecraft: nearbeer

Posted 24 December 2012 - 06:00 PM

I support this.
I would love it if you checked out my "about me" page on my profile and looked at my threads :P I'm always happy to see new posters.

nolanstar

Posted 24 December 2012 - 07:00 PM

support, but cave spiders spawning 20% of the time insread of spiders in jungle and swamp biomes would be nice (poisonus spiders)

Kholdstare
    Kholdstare

Blaze Extinguisher

• Members
  • 4843 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 07:04 PM

Nah, cave spiders are very strong. They should stay confined to the depths.

nolanstar

Posted 24 December 2012 - 11:35 PM

a lily plant that resemmbles a white flower on a cimetrical lily pad would be nice, it could generate lilypads in a + shape around it, with the 2 prongs on the lily pad facing away from it. the plant is collectable with silk touch shears (1.4.6)
how about a retextured zombie with vines on it and drowning immunity spawning sometimes in the water

BodOwens
    BodOwens

Void Walker

• Members
  • 1505 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 12:33 PM

According to the scale model, the number of exposed land is very low, it means that slimes will drown, so how do we keep slimes from drowning?
Hey guys, I have an idea! let's be negative and a total ass towards the game developers! that will make them listen to us!
Note the sarcasm.

Runick
    Runick

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 587 posts
  • Minecraft: Runic47

Posted 25 December 2012 - 12:52 PM

View PostBodOwens, on 25 December 2012 - 12:33 PM, said:

According to the scale model, the number of exposed land is very low, it means that slimes will drown, so how do we keep slimes from drowning?
don't let them spawn in swamps? let them uncommonly spawn in plains maybe?
You shall not pass! - Gandalf the Grey vanquishing the Balrog

BodOwens
    BodOwens

Void Walker

• Members
  • 1505 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 01:07 PM

View PostRunick, on 25 December 2012 - 12:52 PM, said:

don't let them spawn in swamps? let them uncommonly spawn in plains maybe?
I don't think that's a good idea.
Note the sarcasm.

Runick
    Runick

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 587 posts
  • Minecraft: Runic47

Posted 25 December 2012 - 01:08 PM

View PostBodOwens, on 25 December 2012 - 01:07 PM, said:

I don't think that's a good idea.
Well I'm all out of ideas.
You shall not pass! - Gandalf the Grey vanquishing the Balrog

BodOwens
    BodOwens

Void Walker

• Members
  • 1505 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 01:10 PM

View PostRunick, on 25 December 2012 - 01:08 PM, said:

Well I'm all out of ideas.
Not letting slimes drown is a good idea.
Note the sarcasm.

Artifact123

Posted 25 December 2012 - 02:40 PM

I like the new generation but do not think new mobs are needed. Two new tree types seems kinda overkill too. I would like it more if it were just oak trees generated in a certain shape. I also still feel that the grass needs to be slightly darker than in other biomes. Also, instead of a new plant, there could simply be leaves in the water with a log under it to stop it from decaying just like bushes in jungles. I also think that there should still be sand and clay, but much less sand.
My suggestions:

Cobwebs in spider dungeons: http://www.minecraft...pider-dungeons/

Kholdstare
    Kholdstare

Blaze Extinguisher

• Members
  • 4843 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 02:53 PM

View PostBodOwens, on 25 December 2012 - 01:10 PM, said:

Not letting slimes drown is a good idea.

Maybe make them float on water? As in, they'll treat water as land; they can bounce on it and somesuch.

View PostArtifact123, on 25 December 2012 - 02:40 PM, said:

I like the new generation but do not think new mobs are needed. Two new tree types seems kinda overkill too. I would like it more if it were just oak trees generated in a certain shape. I also still feel that the grass needs to be slightly darker than in other biomes. Also, instead of a new plant, there could simply be leaves in the water with a log under it to stop it from decaying just like bushes in jungles. I also think that there should still be sand and clay, but much less sand.

It appears that you have quite different opinions than me.

Darker grass, quite simply, makes it ugly. Especially the greenish-blackish-purple we have now.

Leaves substituting for duckweed would not look as good as duckweed itself.

There's no reason not to have more trees. Forests get two (birch and oak) and jungles get two (jungle and oak) so why not two here too?

Clay and sand should not spawn here, simply because of the lack of dry land. Even if sand and clay are rare, due to the way they generate it'll just create ugly splotches here too. The bed of the water would look ugly and the land would look ugly due to the splotches reaching up on to the land.

(I also hate the new generator but that's irrelevant.)

nacho1309

Posted 25 December 2012 - 03:04 PM

I think some few frogs could be added, the second trees you show are very good, I liked them so much, the first not at all,
they could drop poison, that can be used in next versions for making poison darts, but have to be a very little quantify of
frogs to not unbalance the game and make all so much easy, just my wonder.