Latest News Article

* * * * * 10 votes

1.4.6 Update is Released!

• Please log in to reply
239 replies to this topic

LtKernelPanic

Posted 20 December 2012 - 07:48 PM

[quote name='Bogy_Mac' timestamp='1356032114' post='19804944']
I don't get it.  Minecraft [b][i]WAS[/i][/b] supposed to be Medieval castles-and-knights, middle ages theme.  Fireworks were not around 1500 years ago.  Minecraft is just not what it used to be.  The only things I see that are good in this update are the bug-fixes, Enchanting Books, and the new Christmas texture for chests.

Please do not keep the fireworks Jeb, they don't fit the Minecraft style!!!

[color=#000080][b]-Bogy[/b][/color]
[/quote]

The first fireworks were invented in ancient China 1400 years ago. Close enough.

Register or log in to remove.

RETRO_MPH

Posted 20 December 2012 - 07:48 PM

I am so happy this is out!!!!!
Nothing here...

Cheshire_Bandit
  • Minecraft: Cheshire_Bandit

Posted 20 December 2012 - 07:49 PM

[quote name='Bogy_Mac' timestamp='1356032114' post='19804944']
I don't get it.  Minecraft [b][i]WAS[/i][/b] supposed to be Medieval castles-and-knights, middle ages theme.  Fireworks were not around 1500 years ago.  Minecraft is just not what it used to be.  The only things I see that are good in this update are the bug-fixes, Enchanting Books, and the new Christmas texture for chests.

Please do not keep the fireworks Jeb, they don't fit the Minecraft style!!!

[color=#000080][b]-Bogy[/b][/color]
[/quote]

Okay there are SO many things wrong with what you said. First of all, fireworks have been around for almost exactly 1500 years.

[color=#333333][font=Verdana][size=3]"This serendipitous invention of gunpowder appears to have occurred about 2000 years ago, with exploding firecrackers produced later during the Song dynasty (960-1279) by a Chinese monk named Li Tian, who lived near the city of Liu Yang in Hunan Province. These firecrackers were bamboo shoots filled with gunpowder. They were exploded at the commencement of the new year to scare away evil spirits. Much of the modern focus of fireworks is on light and color, but loud noise (known as "gung pow" or "bian pao") was desirable in a religious firework, since that was what frightened the spirits. By the 15th century, fireworks were a traditional part of other celebrations, such as military victories and weddings. The Chinese story is well-known, though it's possible fireworks really were invented in India or Arabia."[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#333333][font=Verdana][size=3]Here's the source for that block of information: [/size][/font][/color]http://chemistry.about.com/od/historyofchemistry/a/fireworkhistory.htm

Secondly, Minecraft was NOT designed specifically as a Medieval experience. Yes, it uses swords, and is focused on manual labor, but it has nothing to do with castles, courts, royalty, or ancient Europe specifically. You're just averse to change.

Sparrowhwk
  • Minecraft: Sparrowhwk

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:00 PM

My fireworks go up and disappear. No bang or anything. Also they're not in the creative inventory so I get them /give Sparrowhwk 401 1. Could that be the problem? Is anyone else having this problem or am I just being a dofus?

Pork Master
  • Minecraft: Pork_Master

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:03 PM

What does the thorns enchant do?
Some people use thought as an escape from contributing in life.

koopachris
  • Minecraft: koopachris

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:04 PM

I don' get the Mojang philosophy. They wait a week or so after a snapsot to finally put out the
official release of theupdate, and yet there's never anything there that wasn't in the previous snapshot, despite there being a week-long seperation between latest snapshot and latest official release.
You would think they'd add SOMETHING. It's kindof dissapointing. Oooh goody goody it's thursday
again! I wonder what they added THIS week! ...Oh, nothing. OK then...
No, I will NOT feed your dragon. I do not CARE about your dragon. I will not give you +1 rep for no good reason, I will not subscribe to your channel just because it exists, and I will not become part of your fanboy "army".

Chad
    Chad

Obsidian Miner

• Retired Staff
  • 1332 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:09 PM

Is it just me, or do Blacksmith shops no longer generate in villages? I was looking around trying to find the new Christmas surprise, and i found several villages, all without blacksmith shops.?!?

Be sure and quote my post so I know to reply!

Forum Rules

Mr_Churchill
  • Minecraft: CinnamonTiny

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:09 PM

There are many glitches with this update that I found in around a minute
[list=1]
[*]There are no fireworks in the creative inventory
[*]Fireworks get launched and fly up but then disappear and there is no sound or explosion
[*]You can't add those special things to fireworks, or at least I can't figure out how to
[/list]

MCSqwirrelz
  • Minecraft: MCSqwirrelz

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:11 PM

[quote name='DaveTheWave' timestamp='1356031194' post='19804685']
To be honest, I dont like it D:   I really hate how every time I scroll to a new item it tells me what it is.... I know what most item names are, and if i dont, I just look in my inventory. I do like fireworks tho. .. BUT WHY ARE CHICKEN EGGS NOT ROUND ?!? (Sphere shaped)
[/quote]

You can turn the option off. Also, this is fantastic for new texture packs, especially when an item is in the hotbar and you aren't sure what it is. Can just scroll and see what it is rather than going into the actually inventory.

theirongolem

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:13 PM

Update rocks, Mojang, keep up the good work

MCSqwirrelz

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:14 PM

[quote name='koopachris' timestamp='1356033866' post='19805459']
I don' get the Mojang philosophy. They wait a week or so after a snapsot to finally put out the
official release of theupdate, and yet there's never anything there that wasn't in the previous snapshot, despite there being a week-long seperation between latest snapshot and latest official release.
You would think they'd add SOMETHING. It's kindof dissapointing. Oooh goody goody it's thursday
again! I wonder what they added THIS week! ...Oh, nothing. OK then...
[/quote] The entire point of the snapshot is to put out the update and let players check for bugs. It also gives modders an extra week to get their work updated before it's officially released. The snapshot is not an update, until it released as such.

[quote name='Mr_Churchill' timestamp='1356034153' post='19805554']
There are many glitches with this update that I found in around a minute[list=1]
[*]There are no fireworks in the creative inventory

[*]Fireworks get launched and fly up but then disappear and there is no sound or explosion

[*]You can't add those special things to fireworks, or at least I can't figure out how to
[/list]
[/quote]

#1 is not a glitch. It was done on purpose.

BlockApes

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:15 PM

When I saw the title "World Generation", I almost cheered... until I saw it just added some books to villages... :l

7eggert
    7eggert

Gold Miner

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 434 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:16 PM

There are too many fireworks possible to have them in the creative inventory. Look into the minecraft wiki on how to create them, and don't forget the star (or more than one star) for the effect(s).

mwynwyr
    mwynwyr

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:19 PM

Darn! my tamed cats from 1.4 still will not move when playing 'online' .... they will only get up and move around when playing 'offline'.

I tried 1.4.6 in creative to tame a brand new cat but they just kept eating fish and never do tame from being Ocelots so I could not test the offline/online glitch with a 1.4.6 cat.
WTH is "mwynwyr" ... you ask?
Well it is Welsh for miner. Don't even ask how to pronounce it LOL.

Sparrowhwk
  • Minecraft: Sparrowhwk

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:20 PM

Okay so I figured out how to do it. If you follow these instructions it should work.
1. Craft together a dye, gunpowder, and one of either [background=rgb(242, 248, 251)][font="Verdana, Geneva, Tahoma, sans-serif"][size="2"][color="#333333"]glowstone, a fire charge, a diamond, a gold nugget, feather or a mob head. this will make a firework star with an explosion effect and color[/color][/size][/font][/background]
[color=#333333][font=Verdana, Geneva, Tahoma, sans-serif][size=1][background=rgb(242, 248, 251)]2.Craft the result of step 1 with a paper and gunpowder. [/background][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#333333][font=Verdana, Geneva, Tahoma, sans-serif][size=1][background=rgb(242, 248, 251)]3. Launch the firework[/background][/size][/font][/color]

GrandChaos9000
  • Minecraft: GrandChaos9000

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:20 PM

This is really cool features and updates, keep it up.

Posted Image

Mr_Trav
    Mr_Trav

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:25 PM

what about the christmas chests?

Azurewhitewolf
  • Minecraft: Azurewhitewolf

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:30 PM

the one thing I don't like about updates is you have to wait for for every thing else (texture packs, mods, etc.) to be updated.
other then that I like this update.

MCSqwirrelz

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:32 PM

Anyone else seeing a considerable performance boost?

BitCrack
  • Minecraft: BitCrack

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:33 PM

:) I am so Happy with this update!!!  I just made a redstone clock for the first time to set up a huge fireworks show. You can Fade the colours if you add a different dye after the star is made but before the rocket is finished. BIG SPARKLY CREEPER HEADS FTW!!!!!