Can't play Minecraft on Windows 8?

windows8 opengl driver error7 display driver

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Vivalajaz
  • Minecraft: Vivalajaz

Posted 20 December 2012 - 12:10 AM

I'm not exactly sure where to post a topic like this but here it goes:

I recently bought a new laptop (Lenovo Ideapad y580) and was excited to play minecraft at more than 20fps on the lowest settings. I download minecraft and the packages update like it would normally. But when I get to the title screen I see these jarring lines or little bits of color flying around on the screen. Then after a minute of playing the game freezes and locks up my computer, no button response, so I had to Ctrl-Alt-Del to start task manager and stop minecraft.

Then I try it again and get the error: "The NVIDIA OpenGL driver lost connection with the display driver due to exceeding the Windows Time-Out limit and is unable to continue. The application must close."

Error code: 7 And then it asks if I would like to visit NVIDIA's site which explains there error a little better.

What does it mean? (From NVIDIA's site)
If you received this message from an application (on a pop up message or in the Event Log), the application was unable to continue rendering because the Microsoft Windows imposed time limit (TDR) was exceeded. This is normally the case when the workload sent to the Graphics Card is greater than what the graphics card can process in the normal timeout of two seconds.

Laptop Specs: (Hopefully relevant things)
Lenovo Ideapad Y580 (Stock)
64bit Windows 8
Intel® Core™ i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.4GHz
8Gb RAM and 750GB drive
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M and Intel® HD Graphics 4000
64bit Java 7 for windows

Things I have already tried:
I have tried updating drivers that failed and rolling them back
I have tried a clean install of the NVIDIA drivers

I doesnt matter which version of the driver I use, I get the same result. I have tried other games and so far anything on steam just simply wont open, it stops working.

If anyone can help with this problem it would be greatly appreciated, I miss minecraft already :(

Register or log in to remove.

Kufell
    Kufell

Coal Miner

• Members
  • 122 posts
  • Minecraft: Kufell
  • Xbox:Kufell

Posted 20 December 2012 - 12:19 AM

As far as I'm aware, given that you've tried updating drivers you may be in for a bit of a wait until some better ones come out. It's generally better to wait before moving to a new OS due to stuff like this.

I'm hoping for your sake that someone on here knows something I don't that can get Minecraft running for you.

Vivalajaz
  • Minecraft: Vivalajaz

Posted 20 December 2012 - 12:23 AM

View PostKufell, on 20 December 2012 - 12:19 AM, said:

As far as I'm aware, you may be in for a bit of a wait until some better Windows 8 drivers come out. It's generally better to wait before moving to a new OS due to stuff like this.

I'm hoping for your sake that someone on here knows something I don't that can get Minecraft running for you.

Yeah from what I have been reading, Windows 8 is just to new and a lot of things are not compatible with it yet but I am hoping that someone knows some sort of fix, temporary or not, to get it running. I assume Steam hasn't updated for Windows 8 either but I can't find any information on it

hunterviper101

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:28 PM

I have looked up your problem, and it appears that you have a bad laptop. Does this only do it on Minecraft, or does it do it on other games. If it does... I would suggest replacing it, or getting it repaired.

For those of us who are wondering if it works on windows 8. It does. I have seen plenty of videos proving that it works. It does work!
It is not windows 8, don't worry, just call the help desk, and ask for a replacement. I would suggest next time you buy a laptop, get a warranty  Just in case!

Cmwolf19
    Cmwolf19

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:45 PM

I'm having a similar problem, except I can't even get to the Main Menu of Minecraft. It says my video cards are bad and I don't have an OpenGL card, but I just ran minecraft on this computer, which previously had Windows 7...