WyrdOne

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 210 posts
  • Minecraft: wyrdone

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:00 PM

Caption API

by WyrdOne

Captioning API for Minecraft allows sounds to be displayed as text for those with no sound or that are hearing impaired.

The API also allows other mods to add their own sounds to the list to display as well as supporting alternate languages. (English is up to date, Spanish is missing some entries currently, but if someone wants to add a translation, let me know.)

Pictures: (Just for those no pics, no clicks folks out there)
Spoiler:

Installation:
Spoiler:

Version History:
Spoiler:

Videos:
Spoiler:

Source is available on GitHub.

Copyright/license:
Spoiler:

Edited by WyrdOne, 19 July 2013 - 06:37 PM.

Have a mod with options?  Mod Options API is the API for you.  Let your users configure your mod options with ease.

Register or log in to remove.

AkulaMak
    AkulaMak

Diamond Miner

• Members
  • 864 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:02 PM

This is pretty awesome...but what does it say when you hear a creeper...does it just flash RUN RUN RUN on the screen?

WyrdOne
    WyrdOne

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:56 PM

View PostAkulaMak, on 19 December 2012 - 09:02 PM, said:

This is pretty awesome...but what does it say when you hear a creeper...does it just flash RUN RUN RUN on the screen?

You hear hissing
Have a mod with options?  Mod Options API is the API for you.  Let your users configure your mod options with ease.

AkulaMak
    AkulaMak

Diamond Miner

• Members
  • 864 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:38 PM

View PostWyrdOne, on 19 December 2012 - 09:56 PM, said:

You hear hissing
Nice. I'm not hearing impaired, but I will be installing this mod. I often play with the sound off, and blowing up because I focused on mining something really really blows.

I can't wait to see how you described the racket an Enderman makes.

WyrdOne
    WyrdOne

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:42 PM

View PostAkulaMak, on 19 December 2012 - 10:38 PM, said:

Nice. I'm not hearing impaired, but I will be installing this mod. I often play with the sound off, and blowing up because I focused on mining something really really blows.

I can't wait to see how you described the racket an Enderman makes.

I think I called it a scream.  The mod will set sound volume to 1% if you have it set to 0%, simply because Minecraft does not call the sound module at al if volume is 0.  But you can still mute system volume to have it work.

WyrdOne
    WyrdOne

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 07:05 PM

Updated to 1.4.6, also added a button to allow the captioning to be turned on or off.

trickster190292

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:24 PM

WOW! I do not know what to say i am hearing impaired but for thinking thank you for thinking about the hearing impaired people, and i will be making a mod spotlight next year.

WyrdOne
    WyrdOne

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 10:55 PM

I'm glad you like it.  I primarily wrote it because I sometimes play on a computer with no sound card, and I know how hard it is to play without sounds.

I have also had some dealings with assorted handicaps so I felt this would be a really useful mod to make, it would even be a good one for Mojang to build into the game.

Let me know about an video you make about it or any suggestions you have to improve it.

Synthd
    Synthd

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:35 PM

I really like the idea of this, but even when it's the only modloader mod active it doesn't appear to run. If I open minecraft in mcpatcher i get the line Mod Initialized: Captioning 0.2 (For use with Minecraft 1.4.6) and later Class not present: cpw.mods.fml.client.FMLClientHandler, and I see the setting box of caption as in your screenshot, but nothing ingame.

edit: Yep, your 1.4.7 below works perfect. In superflat worlds there's endless slimes as well as all the other more normal, non-flat dispersed sounds. Maybe in superflat slimes should have to be near you to be 'heard'?

ChazOfftopic

Posted 13 January 2013 - 05:24 PM

Awww it doesnt work for 1.4.7 :(

Chaz's Minecraft Mod Reviews!

http://www.youtube.com/chazofftopic

WyrdOne
    WyrdOne

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:21 PM

Updated to 1.4.7, while most mods seem to work from 1.4.6 to 1.4.7, something got broken in this.  Sorry it took me a bit, I have been focused on updating MOAPI and Minecraft My Way.  Though I do have some improvements in store for this mod.

WyrdOne
    WyrdOne

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 09:36 PM

Updated for 1.5

Mezona
    Mezona

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 592 posts
  • Minecraft: Mezona

Posted 23 March 2013 - 01:56 AM

This is brilliant. Good job.

Posted Image

WyrdOne
    WyrdOne

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 03:30 PM

Updated to Minecraft 1.5.1

ElectricGremlin

Posted 30 March 2013 - 06:39 AM

I'm curious. Does this mod work with sounds from other mods, like, say, Mo' Creatures? For example, say you encounter a horse or a duck from the mod. Would this mod say, "You hear a neigh" or "You hear a quack"?
Posted Image

charcharmunro

Posted 30 March 2013 - 10:55 AM

I think it COULD, but the mod author of that mod has to add it in.

WyrdOne
    WyrdOne

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 01:08 PM

Yes, I designed it to allow other mods to add their own sounds to the system, however they would have to code for it, or there would have to be enough demand for me to add them to the core database.

Exoraptor

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:24 PM

would it be compatible with dbc 1.0f and newer versions?
Posted Image

WyrdOne
    WyrdOne

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 03:14 PM

It should be compatible with pretty much any mod out there.  It will not include text for any new sounds added by mods, but the vanilla sounds should continue to translate.

View PostExoraptor, on 09 April 2013 - 07:24 PM, said:

would it be compatible with dbc 1.0f and newer versions?

Garrakx
    Garrakx

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • Minecraft: Garrakx

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:42 PM

I love your mod. The idea is awesome and should be in the vanilla MinecraftPosted Image . Please continue updating it! I am from Spain and I would love to help you translating the mod to the huge Spanish Community.

Posted Image
[url="http://www.minecraft...garden-update/"][img]http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/975/banner1pc.png[/img][/url]