Okay, so Minecraft 2.0 was an april fools joke from April this year. It contained quite a bit of interesting mechanics though, so I've put up my mod for 2.0 as well, if someone for some odd reason want to play with it. For more info on Minecraft 2.0, please see this Minecraft Wiki article.
What is it?
Ever been on a Minecraft multiplayer server, and someone says something? Yeah. Everyone who plays on a server must have heard someone saying something in chat. There is so much chat going around that you don't feel it's worth screenshooting, if you hadn't ever seen chat before I guess you could have done that.
But let's say another player connects, and he's desperate to know about what some random guy has said. You try to help him by scrolling up to the top of chat only to find that what was said had just been knocked off the chat history.
That has happened to me quite a few times. So I decided to make a mod that logs all chat to files on your computer. It's fast, and it happens automatically. No need to worry about taking screenshots all the time - just in case. (There are some people doing that, but they'd quickly find their screenshot folder has a few thousand items in it, and when they go to find a screenshot they actually need, it's gone in the mass of chat screenshots. I'm that kind of person who do that anyway...)
The solution is something I called ChatLog. It's currently in version 1.3.3, supporting Minecraft 1.7.2, and here's a list of what it can do:
- Saves all chat, automatically, to a folder called "chatlogs" in .minecraft
- Only one class file
- Saves colors!
- Several color themes to select from
- Doesn't send anything to the server, meaning it won't say anything in your place
- You won't even notice it's there
- Compatible with most other mods
- Does not require ModLoader or Forge
- All messages are timestamped
- Configuration file (.minecraft\config\ChatLog.properties)
Check out this awesome spotlight by GoLdeBoy01!
The next video I made myself, explaining features and such.
Where are chat logs stored?
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Does this mod require ModLoader or Forge?
Q: Can I include this mod in my mod pack?
A: If you contact me prior to adding it, and you get my written consent, then yes. I usually accept my things being put in mod packs, but NOT if it has been added without my consent and with understanding of the requirements I send you.
Q: How do I install it?
A: Open up your minecraft.jar file with a compression utility like 7-Zip or WinRAR, delete the folder META-INF and move the class file you downloaded into the .jar.
Q: Do I have to pay anything to download this mod?
A: Of course not!
Q: Help, Minecraft freezes, blackscreens or crashes when I use the mod! What is wrong?
A: First of all, check that you deleted the META-INF folder. If you have, ensure you're installing the correct version for your game. If you are, check that you don't have any other mods installed that add a class file with the same name as this one. If you DO have conflicting mods, please tell me of them, and I will add them to the list of incompatible mods. If you DON'T have conflicting mods, read the "Submitting a crash report" section below.
Q: I love this mod so much I feel like donating to you! How can I do that?
A: Well, thank you a lot for appreciating my work that highly! I am sadly unable to get a PayPal account or similar up and running in the near future, so donating would be hard
- Does not save other formatting that colors (bold, italics, strikethrough, underline). It was a bit complex to add and was buggy when I tried, so I discarded it for now.
- Not proper HTML syntax, but should work fine still.
- Unidentified bug probably related to VSync somehow. No one has any idea what this bug does, as no one seems to have encountered it yet. If you do, there should be a message dialog on your screen warning you about it.
Edited by bilde2910, 30 November 2013 - 08:48 AM.