Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

[Forge] Red Logic

1.4.5 forge logic gates rp2 timer counter

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

DaemosDaen

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:28 AM

I voted on the really long name, just to be me :)

Thank you for picking this up, I will be helping what I can.

(Your dealing with the backlash I wanted to avoid 3 months ago :/ )
Posted Image [SSSS]

Register or log in to remove.

SilverSatin

Posted 16 December 2012 - 05:54 PM

I voted Red Logic,    because of the vanilla name  'redstone' and making logic circuits   it was most fitting to call this mod  Red logic :D
---

View PostStGermain, on 16 December 2012 - 12:34 AM, said:

For now I am going to worry about getting the logic gates up, I have the repeater and NOT Gate working, and I'm about to push their code to the git.  After that, if CyanideX wants to contact me, I'm almost always on the IRC, and I'm more than happy to help him with anything he needs.

This is fantastic !    This concept both you guys ( you and CyanideX) have are really what i'm missing in minecraft.
For now i'm using computercraft computers to do the logical redstone stuff but as you can imagine its quite a pain having computers running everywhere and programming each of them.
I'm also using buildcrafts logic gates on pipes this is my favorite way because they can be covered with facades.

But in the end this mod will be much cleaner and its not surprising that there are people out there that could really use this mod instead of redpower especially if they like to run a current version of MC with mods that update regularly.

Just promise to keep this project going even when rp  is released. I plan not to use redpower in my ever evolving world for obvious reasons. So this mod or Nano Circuit mod will be what my save game will depend on once stable versions keep rolling in.

Thank YOU for stepping up with this project and most of all, making it open source (taking in all the benefits of open source into it).

..:: CM Cosmos II | Phenom II X4 955 | EVGA GTX 670 SC2 | Corsair 16 GB Vengeance | Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z ::..
..:: WD Caviar 3TB | WD Caviar 2TB | WD Caviar 2TB | WD Caviar 320GB | Patriot SSD 30GB ::..

dronf
    dronf

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 06:54 PM

Great work!  Glad to see a good alternative show up.  RP2 is a great mod, but it's quite obvious it will never be well maintained, so folks will be stuck for months unable to update their worlds.  An open source project like this almost ensures it will be able to be updated each MC version.

LazDude2012

Posted 17 December 2012 - 05:24 AM

Hello StGermain, I love this idea and would be happy to help in any way possible! Keep up the great work, eh? :)
Posted Image

MineHippie
  • Minecraft: MineHippie

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:02 AM

View PostLazDude2012, on 17 December 2012 - 05:24 AM, said:

Hello StGermain, I love this idea and would be happy to help in any way possible! Keep up the great work, eh? Posted Image

I'm pretty sure because StGermain did the whole GitHub thing he wants people to pick something and start working. By all means throw your hat into the ring.

I think that's how GitHub works.
If you think something's impossible.
You haven't tried hard enough.

Chris.R
    Chris.R

Carpenter

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 02:15 PM

But some sort of checklist or design doc would be great, just to prevent countless forks all with different features.

domi1819
  • Minecraft: domi1819

Posted 17 December 2012 - 06:58 PM

Hi guys,
here is a list of everything we've already got:
- Marble and basalt stuff, including bricks and recipes
- Unusable "form-able redstone" without recipe :P
- A half-done Volcano generator
- Awesome rock textures, better than the original ones :D
- A marble generator which has not been added to the github repo yet

If anyone of you wants that, here is a "pre-pre-pre-release": http://www.mediafire...evae45kxmxpcz5r
The marble gen is included, but marble isn't as much common as in redpower, so don't say marble doesn't generate! Posted Image

What I'm doing next:
- Finish that Posted Image volcano generator

Posted Image = censored ;)
Posted Image

Ioandar
    Ioandar

Stone Miner

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 07:17 PM

no way, really? Need to peek into prepreprealpha right now. guess i better make a seperate install using Magiclauncher.

well, thank you for the kickoff-coding-run :)

StGermain

Posted 18 December 2012 - 04:44 AM

I have changed quite a few things on the OP and README.md that pertain to potentional contributors, and the direction this particular mod will be taking.  I have also added a "beginners guide" of sorts to the README.

I hope this clears up some misunderstandings.

Nathan2055
  • Minecraft: Nathan2055
  • Xbox::P

Posted 19 December 2012 - 12:06 AM

I see Red Logic was the confirmed name. Hopefully that clears up all of the whining about the old names similarities to Integrated Redstone. Also, kudos on the Forge compatibility! I definitely will contribute to this when I get more time.
--Nathan2055

TwoThe
    TwoThe

Iron Miner

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 254 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 12:39 PM

Biggest of all diamonds to you, sir, for doing this. I will see if I can find the time during holidays to aid on this.

On the license part: you should definitely add that this can be used freely as long as the usage keeps the used content as free as it has been stated. Otherwise an evil person could take your work and prevent you from using it by copyright.
My Mods

New Dawn: a completely new terrain engine for Minecraft!
TwoTility: blocks and items for a better Minecraft.

Laguy442
    Laguy442

Zombie Killer

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 179 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 07:47 PM

View PostAlphaSparqy, on 15 December 2012 - 09:08 PM, said:

It's one thing to blatantly copy someone else's work.  It's another to basically copy their mod name too, without any permission.

The original name of red power was "Integrated Redstone" and I suspect you already knew that, so this similarity is too close, and most likely intentional.  I will not be using or supporting this mod, and I will advise others against it.

The supporters all seem to be childish mal-contents, who feel entitled to steal someone elses work, simply because she's not updating fast enough for their liking.

And to mince words, and justify it though convoluted logic illustrates this point.  "It's closed source, so we can't be accused of copying"  PFFFTTT thats a 2-bit rationalization.

No one is forcing you to use this work.  Your opinions are just that, opinions.  Frankly, I am glad to see someone come along and take on some of the RP functionality.  I like the work Elo has done but I am not sure she is going to be capable of sustaining the work necessary to continue to maintain RP.   Look how long it took her to go from 1.2.5 to 1.4.6.  Months of waiting and until very recently very little word.  If she does, well then at worst we will have another mod doing the same thing (as though there aren't already lots of mods that do the same thing), if she doesn't keep it updated then I suspect that more folks will consider this as an alternative.

Elo doesn't own the rights to volcano's or the word redstone or anything other than her code.  If someone wants to come along and without copying her code remake those functions than I am fine with that.  What's the matter, don't you like competition?  Folks/companies copy the ideas of others all of the time.

So move along.  Us "childish mal-contents" will continue to support this mod author.  Feel free to stand on the sidelines and throw rocks if it makes you feel better.

Nathan2055

Posted 21 December 2012 - 03:45 AM

If I can get my copy of Photoshop to work with newer PNG files (it's about 8 years old now, good grief) I'm going to draw up some prototype item sprites. It will be based on vanilla stuff because anything I do originally will be crap, trust me. I'm going to start with a "Redstone Ingot", which I guess could be used to replace RP2's Red Alloy Ingots. Anything else you'd like me to try?

Also, do you guys want to add an equivalent of Red Alloy Wire to this mod? It might be a good idea if this is going to be a base for future tech mods.

EDIT @ 11:11: After fiddling with it I was able to get a converted JPEG to load-then found out the file had been blown up too large. Sigh.

EDIT @ 12:15: Assuming the world doesn't end while I'm asleep, I'll finish it tomorrow. I was finally able to find a correctly scaled photo in the correct format on the wiki. :P
--Nathan2055

StGermain

Posted 21 December 2012 - 05:22 AM

View PostNathan2055, on 21 December 2012 - 03:45 AM, said:

If I can get my copy of Photoshop to work with newer PNG files (it's about 8 years old now, good grief) I'm going to draw up some prototype item sprites. It will be based on vanilla stuff because anything I do originally will be crap, trust me. I'm going to start with a "Redstone Ingot", which I guess could be used to replace RP2's Red Alloy Ingots. Anything else you'd like me to try?

Also, do you guys want to add an equivalent of Red Alloy Wire to this mod? It might be a good idea if this is going to be a base for future tech mods.

EDIT @ 11:11: After fiddling with it I was able to get a converted JPEG to load-then found out the file had been blown up too large. Sigh.

EDIT @ 12:15: Assuming the world doesn't end while I'm asleep, I'll finish it tomorrow. I was finally able to find a correctly scaled photo in the correct format on the wiki. Posted Image

You might try GIMP, it's what I use for all of my image editing.  Also, yes, a new type of redstone wire is planned for the near future.

I'm happy to see the effort, thanks!

Nathan2055

Posted 21 December 2012 - 05:44 PM

View PostStGermain, on 21 December 2012 - 05:22 AM, said:

You might try GIMP, it's what I use for all of my image editing.  Also, yes, a new type of redstone wire is planned for the near future.

I'm happy to see the effort, thanks!
Happy to help! And, amazingly, I can't get Photoshop to find the difference between red and gray. Great. :P Looks like GIMP might be good after all.
--Nathan2055

Nathan2055

Posted 21 December 2012 - 06:17 PM

Well, I finished the first prototype of the Redstone Ingot sprite for the mod:

Posted Image

What do you guys think? I think it's pretty close, but it might be a little too dark. I'll keep working on it.

Edited by Nathan2055, 21 December 2012 - 11:39 PM.

--Nathan2055

davidp5118
  • Minecraft: davidp5118
  • Xbox:davidp5118

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:41 PM

I'll be here when it is completed! :D
file:///C:/Users/Public/Pictures/savages.gif///C:/Users/Public/Pictures/savages.gif

n3koshi
    n3koshi

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 12 posts
  • Minecraft: n3koshi

Posted 28 December 2012 - 04:53 AM

View PostNathan2055, on 21 December 2012 - 06:17 PM, said:

Well, I finished the first prototype of the Redstone Ingot sprite for the mod:

Posted Image

What do you guys think? I think it's pretty close, but it might be a little too dark. I'll keep working on it.

I think it looks fine, but it's always going to be "relative" unless you're willing to foot the bill for monitor calibration. Go with what looks good on your end. People will complain quickly enough if there's a real problem...lol.

I'm also up for assisting with the graphics if help is needed.

~n

GamingNerddotCom

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:51 AM

Looks fine. I wouldn't nitpick over something as simple as an ingot sprite.

Look forward to seeing this come to fruition

csebal
    csebal

Newly Spawned

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 01:27 PM

This is a great idea and you should not let anyone tell you otherwise.

Here are a few pointers, or my 2 cents if you like:

- Modularity
Make sure stuff in the mod is as modular as possible. I've seen too many great mods bogged down by useless or pointless features that players have to live with, as they come bundled with the great parts. Split the mod up as much as possible so everyone can pick and choose the aspects he likes the most.

Oh sure, every feature is useful to someone, but since we are all different, we value different things in the various mods, so having huge complex monolithic mods only ensures that everyone will feel they have to put up with some things they do not like, just to get the stuff they wanted.

Especially important would be to separate anything that alters the world from the rest of the mod. If you are trying to run a huge compilation of mods, the last thing you really need is just another mod that adds its own variety of ores and decorative stone/gem variants.

With that said, it would be also important to make the recipes involved easily customizable, extendable, possibly through config files, so that server owners can fine tune the list of available recipes to the mod that uses the specialty ore variants coming from different mods.

I'm no expert in server maintenance, so there might already be standard ways of doing that, but the point generally is that  you want to make integration as easy and painless as possible.

- Simplicity
While it might be easy to just start from scratch and - as someone suggested - create new blocks and tools for all the mod's requirements, this however more often than not only weighs down the game. I think one should always attempt to reuse existing vanilla blocks whenever possible and only add new ones if it is really required.

Think of it this way: by reducing the amount of pointless machines added just so you can turn pointless new ore A into pointless new alloy B which you can then use for making blocks you could have been making from regular, vanilla materials as well, you also reduce the amount of things that can break and as such make the overall mod less prone to errors.

Do not try to reinvent the wheel. If you want some processing of redstone, then just have the player stick it into a furnace and add a baked redstone furnace material to work with, or better yet, you could just make the recipes use the vanilla redstone to begin with.

- Iteration:
The chances of getting it right at the first try are slim, so you might actually want to release a working version with the bare essentials as soon as possible, and iterate on it frequently based on the feedback you receive.

That's about it. Good luck with your project.