The Small Boats mod for Minecraft -- usable craft that have animated parts, working chests, and can carry multiple passengers. Boats include the Elegant Punt, the Whitehall, and the Hoy.
- Steering controls work (mostly) the same as the standard boat
- Working chest(s) to store your stuff
- Sail goes up the mast indicating speed
- Boat heels and boom switches sides as you change tack
- Whitehall can carry multiple passengers
- Walking on deck (Hoy)
- SmallBoats 0.10.6 for MC 1.6.x
- SmallBoats 0.10.1 for MC 1.5.x
- SmallBoats 0.08 for MC 1.4.7
- Download and install Forge (http://www.minecraft.../topic,5.0.html)
- Drop the JAR file in your ~/.minecraft/mods directory
- Bug fixes + new features. If you previously updated to 0.10.4, just replace the jar; if not, FLUSH YOUR OLD BOATS!
- Added walking on deck (Hoy)
- Fixed boat disappearing when it can't find its children (you get a new boat, but you still lose items in the chest)
- Fixed problem with sneak key
- Added version number to filename
** This is BETA code **Backup your world or start a new one before loading (a nice seed to test with is6646844250487835191). If you have problems updating from a prior version, try removing the mod jar(s) from your mods folder, reloading your world, and then putting the mod jar back in.
- If you're in a boat when you exit the game, when you re-enter the game you'll be outside the boat for a couple of seconds before you jump back in
- Water appears inside the boat
- Can't access the Hoy cabin (yet)
The Hoy doesn't carry passengers (yet) Left and Right motion (slew) keys have no affect Position sync in MP is broken Whitehall collision box is overly large No item icon for Hoy (competition in progress!)
- Right-click to jump into the boat,
- Right-click (or N and M keys) to open the chest when you're in the boat
- Left-Shift to jump out
The Hoy has a deeper draft than the Punt and Whitehall, you need 2+ blocks of water (depth) to sail her!
Some items to note:
- Build recipe for the Punt is three standard boats across the bottom, two sticks for the mast, and three wool for the sail (see picture above)
- Build recipe for the Whitehall is three Punts (of the same color)
- Build recipe for the Hoy is three Whitehalls
- In creative mode, all boats appear on the Transportation tab
- Destroying a boat gives you back a boat (plus contents of chest)
- Boats are VERY HARD to damage
Possible future enhancements
- Different rigging types (sloops, schooners, square, lateen, etc.)
- Functional interiors
- Advanced control scheme (setting sails, reefing, autopilot)
- Racing (marker buoys and timing)
- Oars (rowing)
- Ability to carry animals
- Cargo hold
The Elegant Punt is a real sailboat designed by Phil Bolger and featured in Harold "Dynamite" Payson's book, Instant Boats. It's about as simple a sailboat as you can get, and its appearance and dimensions were well-suited for Minecraft.
The Whitehall is modeled after Alaska, designed by D.H. Kurylko.
The Hoy is an historically correct type of small, coastal vessel used to carry cargo and passengers.
Thanks to Drullkus for the Whitehall icon!
Thanks to joetheantipro for the Hoy icon!
Permission to include the Small Boats mod in your mod pack is granted, as long you're not selling it or otherwise charging for distribution.