• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

[WIP] Small Boats (Elegant Punt & Whitehall)

• Please log in to reply
1382 replies to this topic

Awger
    Awger

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 361 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 01:58 AM

POPULAR

** Updated 09/28/2013 **

The Small Boats mod for Minecraft -- usable craft that have animated parts, working chests, and can carry multiple passengers.  Boats include the Elegant Punt, the Whitehall, and the Hoy.

Major features:
  • Steering controls work (mostly) the same as the standard boat
  • Working chest(s) to store your stuff
  • Sail goes up the mast indicating speed
  • Boat heels and boom switches sides as you change tack
  • Whitehall can carry multiple passengers
  • Walking on deck (Hoy)
Posted ImageMore Pics:
Spoiler:

Videos:
Spoiler:

Download: To install: Version 0.10.6, updated 09/28/2013
  • Bug fixes + new features.  If you previously updated to 0.10.4, just replace the jar; if not, FLUSH YOUR OLD BOATS!
  • Added walking on deck (Hoy)
  • Fixed boat disappearing when it can't find its children (you get a new boat, but you still lose items in the chest)
  • Fixed problem with sneak key
  • Added version number to filename
Previous Versions/Changes:
Spoiler:

Known issues

** This is BETA code **Backup your world or start a new one before loading (a nice seed to test with is6646844250487835191).  If you have problems updating from a prior version, try removing the mod jar(s) from your mods folder, reloading your world, and then putting the mod jar back in.
  • If you're in a boat when you exit the game, when you re-enter the game you'll be outside the boat for a couple of seconds before you jump back in
  • Water appears inside the boat
  • Can't access the Hoy cabin (yet)
  • The Hoy doesn't carry passengers (yet)
  • Left and Right motion (slew) keys have no affect
  • Position sync in MP is broken
  • Whitehall collision box is overly large
  • No item icon for Hoy (competition in progress!)
Controls
  • Right-click to jump into the boat,
  • Right-click (or N and M keys) to open the chest when you're in the boat
  • Left-Shift to jump out
To change seats in the Whitehall, right-click on an empty seat.  Note: You can only control the Whitehall from the back seat.

The Hoy has a deeper draft than the Punt and Whitehall, you need 2+ blocks of water (depth) to sail her!

Some items to note:
  • Build recipe for the Punt is three standard boats across the bottom, two sticks for the mast, and three wool for the sail (see picture above)
  • Build recipe for the Whitehall is three Punts (of the same color)
  • Build recipe for the Hoy is three Whitehalls
  • In creative mode, all boats appear on the Transportation tab
  • Destroying a boat gives you back a boat (plus contents of chest)
  • Boats are VERY HARD to damage
This code was originally built for Minecraft Beta 1.6 but was never released.  It has been completely redesigned to take advantage of new Minecraft internal structures that make oversized and animated vehicles a more workable proposition.  Once the basic mod internals are finalized it should be possible to make much larger boats with additional capabilities (multiple passengers, ovens, beds, cannon, etc).Tested in single-player, LAN, and on dedicated server.Bug reports and constructive criticism appreciated.

Possible future enhancements
  • Cannon
  • Sinking
  • Different rigging types (sloops, schooners, square, lateen, etc.)
  • Functional interiors
  • Advanced control scheme (setting sails, reefing, autopilot)
  • Racing (marker buoys and timing)
  • Oars (rowing)
  • Ability to carry animals
  • Cargo hold
A "Ships" mod for larger boats is expected to come later, after basic functionality is completed.  Ships will have a different build system and may introduce additional capabilities.

Acknowledgements

The Elegant Punt is a real sailboat designed by Phil Bolger and featured in Harold "Dynamite" Payson's book, Instant Boats.  It's about as simple a sailboat as you can get, and its appearance and dimensions were well-suited for Minecraft.

The Whitehall is modeled after Alaska, designed by D.H. Kurylko.

The Hoy is an historically correct type of small, coastal vessel used to carry cargo and passengers.

Thanks to Drullkus for the Whitehall icon!
Thanks to joetheantipro for the Hoy icon!

License

Permission to include the Small Boats mod in your mod pack is granted, as long you're not selling it or otherwise charging for distribution.

Register or log in to remove.

lclc98
    lclc98

Stone Miner

• Members
  • 87 posts
  • Minecraft: lclc98

Posted 12 December 2012 - 02:11 AM

Great Mod
Posted Image

anicet74
    anicet74

Void Walker

• Members
  • 1575 posts
  • Location: In a white and weird antichamber,trying to get out of it
  • Minecraft: Someone...

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:29 PM

I don't know why but I can't craft it or find it in creative inventory,but I can see it in mods page of forge

Posted Image
English isn't my native language,if sometimes I'm doing errors or feeling rude because of something said incorectly,please tell me,that will help me to improve my english level

THANKS

TheDon95
    TheDon95

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 04:43 PM

I like this mod it is simple and easy to use. I found the punt in creative menu and sailed for some time without problems but i was not able to craft the punt with 3 boats across the bottom. NEI does not show a recipe too.

Sorry for my bad english and I hope you can fix the recipebug

Race Pro Kid
  • Minecraft: KajinglesIsMe

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:34 PM

ChazOffTopic did a review video on this mod :D
Posted Image
Beat that. >:D

Awger
    Awger

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 361 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:54 AM

View Postlclc98, on 12 December 2012 - 02:11 AM, said:

Looks cool.

Thank you.  It's been a long time coming, and I built this as a prototype to verify some ideas that I had for building large, mult-part constructs.  Seems to be working out so far, but I don't know how well the idea will scale.

You might want to make the link media fire or dropbox

Any particular reason?  I'm not beholden to FileFactory, it was just convenient.  I have no problem using a different service if there's a compelling reason.

fix the placing on lag bug

I've had some concerns about lag, thought I had something workable, but it's difficult for me to test.  How were you testing (ie SSP, SMP, LAN) and were you using a newly created map or an existing one?

View Postanicet74, on 12 December 2012 - 12:29 PM, said:

I don't know why but I can't craft it or find it in creative inventory,but I can see it in mods page of forge

Crafting recipe was broken, fixed as of 12/12/2012.

In creative mode, it should have appeared on the Misc tab (the one with the bucket of lava) but, as of version 0.2, I moved to to the Transport tab (the one with the railroad track) so that it should now be where you would expect it to be.

View PostTheDon95, on 12 December 2012 - 04:43 PM, said:

I like this mod it is simple and easy to use. I found the punt in creative menu and sailed for some time without problems but i was not able to craft the punt with 3 boats across the bottom. NEI does not show a recipe too.

Sorry for my bad english and I hope you can fix the recipebug

Your English is fine, bug should be fixed.  Thanks for trying it out and commenting!

Awger
    Awger

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 361 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:30 AM

Wow... thank you, Chaz!

(And, in less than 24 hours, too!)

As mentioned several times in the video comments, a "punt" is a flat-bottomed boat with square ends.  The Elegant Punt is a particular design from Phil Bolger, a famous (in the world naval architects) designer who had an affinity for very simple, well-mannered boats that were intended to be built and sailed by amateurs.  You can see some pictures (and purchase plans) from Dynamite Payson's site (http://www.instantboats.com/epunt.htm).

It is certainly no Herreshoff, but it was never intended to be.

I built the Elegant Punt mod to test out some ideas I had for building large, complicated structures -- but you can't start out with large and complicated, you have to start small.  Once the concept is proven and the bugs have been worked out of the basic mod, I'll move on bigger and better things -- namely, larger boats (think 12m) and then more complication (schooner with a working interior).

I don't know if the concept can be extended so far as to build a four-masted man-o-war with multiple decks and two dozen cannon, but I'm willing to try.  :)

drackiseries
  • Minecraft: dracki

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:54 PM

Hey dude, awesome mod! Did a spotlight on it! Put the video in the forum post if you want :)

Posted Image

CLICK HERE FOR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!

Foreignkiller
  • Minecraft: jbohl

Posted 14 December 2012 - 06:33 PM

cant download the mod from file factory

kokonus
    kokonus

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1025 posts
  • Minecraft: kokonus

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:00 PM

waait isnt this extremely hard to code?
also good job cant wait untill we have a fleet bumping into the enemy fleet :P

Posted Image

Rekrab
    Rekrab

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 444 posts
  • Minecraft: rekrabhpesoj

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:51 AM

10/10

Posted Image

Jstorey97

Posted 15 December 2012 - 12:12 PM

Dude you need to change the download link. I recommend drop box or mediafire
There are only 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don’t.
Posted Image

SilverSatin

Posted 15 December 2012 - 01:15 PM

WOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO  i'm gonna download and try this later but first.. the file host you chose is TERRIBLE...

please use   dropbox or some other file host because i cant download   the site claims "All free download slots are in use"   its ridiculous..

Googled a bit around and found this alternative link http://o-minecraft.r...ad/0-0-1-860-20

Click on the green buton 'gratis'  to download.

..:: CM Cosmos II | Phenom II X4 955 | EVGA GTX 670 SC2 | Corsair 16 GB Vengeance | Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z ::..
..:: WD Caviar 3TB | WD Caviar 2TB | WD Caviar 2TB | WD Caviar 320GB | Patriot SSD 30GB ::..

Awger
    Awger

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 361 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:06 PM

View Postdrackiseries, on 14 December 2012 - 04:54 PM, said:

Hey dude, awesome mod! Did a spotlight on it! Put the video in the forum post if you want Posted Image

Thanks -- and thanks again for the video!

You mentioned in your commentary that exiting the boat with shift-right-click didn't work at some point; when was that?

View Postkokonus, on 14 December 2012 - 07:00 PM, said:

waait isnt this extremely hard to code?
also good job cant wait untill we have a fleet bumping into the enemy fleet Posted Image

"Hard" is relative.  Posted Image

I was taking notes while rebuilding the old mod code for Forge... I have 26 pages at the moment.  Might turn it into a tutorial (dissertation?) but I'll have to talk to Mojang about that first.

View PostJstorey97, on 15 December 2012 - 12:12 PM, said:

Dude you need to change the download link. I recommend drop box or mediafire

By popular request... download site changed to MediaFire because FileFactory sucks (and I'd call that a compelling reason).

TheDon95
    TheDon95

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 02:26 PM

Hello Awger,
thank you for the bugfixes, everything seems to work fine now. I also like the fact that you switched to mediafire, so we don´t have to wait for free slots to download your mod. The only think I would suggest is the ability to use a fishingrod inside the punt. Everytime I use a rod my punt is breaking. I am not a modder so I don´t know how hard it is or if it is even possible.
Like before: Sorry for my bad english

Awger
    Awger

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 361 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:29 PM

View PostTheDon95, on 16 December 2012 - 02:26 PM, said:

Hello Awger,
thank you for the bugfixes, everything seems to work fine now. I also like the fact that you switched to mediafire, so we don´t have to wait for free slots to download your mod. The only think I would suggest is the ability to use a fishingrod inside the punt. Everytime I use a rod my punt is breaking. I am not a modder so I don´t know how hard it is or if it is even possible.
Like before: Sorry for my bad english

*smacks forehead*

And here I thought that the only reason we went out on sailboats was to drink beer.  :)

Fishing from the Punt is FIXED!  There's a bit of a glitch when casting, but it works fine.

Same download link as before, just grab it again.

DanNetwalker
  • Minecraft: DanNetwalker

Posted 17 December 2012 - 11:34 AM

Great mod, I can't wait to add it to my personal server!

There's a slight problem, though...  I can't find a way for changing the sailboat id, and with my current mod combination the recipe it's giving me a copper ingot (so it's crashing with other mod ids, haven't checked which one for now - I asume either forestry or IC2). Is there no config file to change it to a new one, or I'm being just too derp for finding it?
Yes, I got a youtube channel on minecraft and games, too. This one is in spanish, though... Oh! And a server, with it's own modpack.

ximeeen
    ximeeen

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 430 posts
  • Minecraft: ximeeen

Posted 17 December 2012 - 11:42 AM

EDIT: Scratch that, too tired it seems.
Great mod!

Posted Image

boronguy

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:30 PM

You can get rid of the water in the ship by adding a  halftranslucent  feature in the boat itself (the same way you cannot see water behind ice, and the stained glass from buildcraft (or some mod) also doesn't let you see water behind it) As there can only be one halftranslucent feature so i recommend adding a technicaly  halftranslucent object on the top of the baot or a bit in the ship itself, as high as the water comes
Posted Image

Awger
    Awger

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 361 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:10 PM

View PostDanNetwalker, on 17 December 2012 - 11:34 AM, said:

Great mod, I can't wait to add it to my personal server!

There's a slight problem, though...  I can't find a way for changing the sailboat id, and with my current mod combination the recipe it's giving me a copper ingot (so it's crashing with other mod ids, haven't checked which one for now - I asume either forestry or IC2). Is there no config file to change it to a new one, or I'm being just too derp for finding it?

Thanks!

No, you're not derp... no config file... yet.  I just haven't gotten around to adding one.  Guess I should get around to it now...