• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Sugar Free mints and sweeteners

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

LolSickles

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:00 AM

I've heard that sugar free mints use sweeteners instead of sugar. Are sweeteners just as bad for you as sugar? Are sugar free mints better than mints with sugar in it or just the same? Thanks.

Posted Image

Register or log in to remove.

Shpaget
    Shpaget

Ghast Hunter

• Members
  • 2951 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:04 AM

There is nothing wrong with sugar.
There are loads of thing wrong with artificial sweeteners.
Check out the awesome model train layout I'm working on:
backo.hr

Raynbow
    Raynbow

Farlander

• Members
  • 15860 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:11 AM

Sugar is muuuuuuuuuch better than sweeteners.

Trippledot

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:15 AM

The thing about artificial sweeteners is that they can all be different things...
Sugar is just... sugar.
You generaly know what youre getting.

If youre worried about your sugar intake... just change your diet. Don't go for sugar free, or low fat, or anything like that. Just eat well.

Your friendly neighborhood dragon. Don't be scared, I won't bite!
I am here for you, Don't be afraid to send me a message.

Posted Image

BC_Programming
  • Minecraft: BC_Programming

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:54 AM

View PostLolSickles, on 11 December 2012 - 07:00 AM, said:

I've heard that sugar free mints use sweeteners instead of sugar. Are sweeteners just as bad for you as sugar? Are sugar free mints better than mints with sugar in it or just the same? Thanks.
Sugar-free stuff that needs sweetness typically uses artificial sweeteners. The point of artificial sweeteners is to duplicate the sweetness, but not actually provide the calories/food energy. Whether they are dangerous or unhealthy is a continuing controversy. A lot of studies say "it might cause cancer" but if you believe studies, everything seems to cause cancer, and then the next day, everything prevents it.

The way I see it, if a person does get cancer, and they happen to use Artificial sweeteners, that doesn't imply causation. So you'll never know what caused it, and even if you did, that isn't going to change anything anyway. For all we know it was simply a natural occurence. Also, with the exception of Cyclamate, the studies that "prove" that it caused cancer are often full of holes.

Aspartame is generally the safest, because it get's metabolized. Saccharin is probably fine, most of the studies done were subsequently discovered to have flawed reasoning, since the tests were animal-based (rats) and the process by which the rats contracted cancer from saccharin was specific to their metabolism and urine composition.

sucralose is hard to argue as "dangerous" since it does appear naturally in a wide variety of food products, fruits and vegetables as well as even some meats.

Lead acetate is obviously dangerous to the point where it hasn't been used for hundreds of years.

View PostRaynbow, on 11 December 2012 - 07:11 AM, said:

Sugar is muuuuuuuuuch better that sweeteners.
Unless you're diabetic. Obviously taste-wise, sugar is desirable over artificial sweeteners, but sugar has other problems associated with it, particularly refined sugar. Tooth decay and having to watch blood sugar levels due to diabetes are just two reasons.

Disethas
    Disethas

Ralphie you are so pretty

• Retired Staff
  • Curse Premium
  • 2170 posts
  • Minecraft: Disethas

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:41 AM

Sugar isn't bad for you, as long as you don't over-consume it.

Spoiler:

I'd suggest sticking to sugar-based mints; considering the serving size, it shouldn't matter.
Unless you're eating thirty or so mints a day, the sugar intake isn't going to cause any problems.

Cut down on other things like soda or fatty foods if weight gain is a concern. Mints aren't going to hurt you.
If you're going to go with an artificial sweetener, at least make sure it's saccharin.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Shpaget
    Shpaget

Ghast Hunter

• Members
  • 2951 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 05:18 PM

View PostBC_Programming, on 11 December 2012 - 07:54 AM, said:

but sugar has other problems associated with it, particularly refined sugar.

Virtually all sugar produced today is refined. The brown sugar you can find everywhere is, in most cases, refined and then coloured.
backo.hr

Coolzo31
    Coolzo31

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 177 posts
  • Minecraft: Coolzo31

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:40 PM

3 words:

I

Love

SUGAR
Posted Image

Christopoll
  • Minecraft: Christopoll

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:47 PM

You don't wanna consume aspartame or sweeteners. Sure, it may be low sugar, but I don't think it's worth it. Plus, remember, if you want to lose weight or anything, it's not eating much sugar that will make you fat, it's consuming more calories than you burn, as long as you don't eat too much of it.
Posted Image

The_Pastmaster
  • Minecraft: The_Pastmaster

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:04 PM

Aspartame is "safe" but it tastes absolutely vile so you need something with strong flavour to pass it off.
Venit, quessit, induravit.

If you have any questions feel free to drop me a PM, it's what I'm here for. :)

Shpaget
    Shpaget

Ghast Hunter

• Members
  • 2951 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:16 PM

Has anybody tried to put one of those tiny artificial sweetener "pill" on the tongue?
Well I did, and... just don't.
backo.hr

The_Pastmaster
  • Minecraft: The_Pastmaster

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:39 PM

View PostShpaget, on 12 December 2012 - 10:16 PM, said:

Has anybody tried to put one of those tiny artificial sweetener "pill" on the tongue?
Well I did, and... just don't.

Like Sucettes? (SP?) You're supposed to have it in a drink or something. It's concentrated sweetener so it's like trying to drink juice concentrate without diluting it with water first. :)
Venit, quessit, induravit.

If you have any questions feel free to drop me a PM, it's what I'm here for. :)

MQhelper
    MQhelper

Blaze Extinguisher

• Members
  • 4740 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:54 PM

All i can say is just take all things in moderation. :)

Posted Image