Jump to content

  • Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Intensity Blocks - Something We Need For The Redstone Update


  • Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#41

Neospector
  • Location: The Temple of Rhinne, Goddess and Transcendent of Time
  • Minecraft: Neospector

Posted 10 December 2012 - 05:58 AM

I doubt it would be as efficient as people believe it would be without something like the suggested wireless output command for command blocks, but it would be possible to create a screen that's a block tall that flashes several (I.E, more than one or two) different colors, depending on how compact you want to be behind it.
A flashing, colored screen in general is possible, but again: not as efficient as people think it would be.

I'm not hating on it, I'm just telling people to think more realistically; gigantic screens would not be as possible as people are believing they would be, not without some form of compact wireless redstone. It's like, "oh yeah, flying cars being marketed to the general public!" but people keep forgetting that they would basically need to learn how to drive in three dimensions instead of two.

Badgerz said:

You have to keep in mind that people are stupid.

Catelite said:

Just because you don't understand how something works, doesn't make it broken or pointless. >_<
Posted Image

Register or log in to remove.

#42

Lightway2010

Posted 11 December 2012 - 12:42 AM

I like this idea and I think it can be used for amazing machines. The only problem I see is implementing the Melody and Selector into the game since the Note Block and Dispenser already exist. Either way I still think this is a good idea.

#43

Regular Hexahedron

Posted 11 December 2012 - 01:02 AM

View PostLightway2010, on 11 December 2012 - 12:42 AM, said:

I like this idea and I think it can be used for amazing machines. The only problem I see is implementing the Melody and Selector into the game since the Note Block and Dispenser already exist. Either way I still think this is a good idea.

There's no need to eliminate the old to add the new.

For example, I think note blocks are superior if you just want a music box. It's easy to chain different notes in sequence with repeaters.

A melody block would be better if you want a compact way of playing a lot of different tunes. For example, let's say you want a bell that rings as a minecart approaches, and increases in pitch as it gets nearer. That would take a pile of noteblocks at different pitches, and lots of separate wires. Or you could just use one melody block, and just one wire.
To see a list of my redstone inventions check out Regular Hexahedron's Inventorium!

#44

Maxskywalker

Posted 11 December 2012 - 05:11 PM

I came here expecting a 'redstone is hard!  make it easier NAAAOOO!!!'  I got slapped in the face with amazement instantly.  Full support.  JEB, GET ON THIS!

#45

theBlobLord
  • Minecraft: tehBlobLord

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:15 PM

How about a block which when powered by a current emits a current of varying power? Sort of like a repeater but instead of the full-power current you could choose to have it send the current level of 5 for example. That would avoid needing a long trail of redstone just to use these intensity blocks :)

#46

Regular Hexahedron

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:06 PM

View PosttheBlobLord, on 11 December 2012 - 08:15 PM, said:

How about a block which when powered by a current emits a current of varying power? Sort of like a repeater but instead of the full-power current you could choose to have it send the current level of 5 for example. That would avoid needing a long trail of redstone just to use these intensity blocks Posted Image

That could be very useful.

And/or maybe a way of adding  levels to a charge. For example, a repeater like thing that could be set to add +2 to the redstone signal it receives, whatever the original signal strength is.
To see a list of my redstone inventions check out Regular Hexahedron's Inventorium!

#47

huge0
    huge0

    Zombie Killer

  • Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:06 PM

FYI according to my knowledge, red is low frequency and violet is high, aka infrared, which is heat and ultraviolet, which is solar radiation.
I support the ideas though.
Another idea is: what if the tnt detonation time coalates to the adjacent redstone poewerlevel? The higher the power, the shorter the fuze.
Posted Image
Do you like me? klick the green (+)

#48

theBlobLord
  • Minecraft: tehBlobLord

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:12 PM

View PostRegular Hexahedron, on 11 December 2012 - 09:06 PM, said:

That could be very useful.

And/or maybe a way of adding  levels to a charge. For example, a repeater like thing that could be set to add +2 to the redstone signal it receives, whatever the original signal strength is.

I swear you are a well of bountiful glorious knowledge. When will you be hired by Mojang? We need a redstoner over there; IMO "idea guy" is more important than "director of fun" anyway.

OT: I just had an idea for a cool kind of "alarm clock" or something; they said somewhere that they would add a day/night sensor that would send different power levels depending on the time of day. You could hook this up to a melody block and get a compact version of Big Ben :D
On a side-note: You should be able to change the volume of noteblocks. In fact they deserve their own UI, the whole "right click 4 times" thing is not user-friendly at all.

#49

Regular Hexahedron

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:37 PM

View PosttheBlobLord, on 11 December 2012 - 09:12 PM, said:

I swear you are a well of bountiful glorious knowledge. When will you be hired by Mojang? We need a redstoner over there; IMO "idea guy" is more important than "director of fun" anyway.

OT: I just had an idea for a cool kind of "alarm clock" or something; they said somewhere that they would add a day/night sensor that would send different power levels depending on the time of day. You could hook this up to a melody block and get a compact version of Big Ben Posted Image
On a side-note: You should be able to change the volume of noteblocks. In fact they deserve their own UI, the whole "right click 4 times" thing is not user-friendly at all.

Hah. Feel free to petition Mojang to hire a Director of Suggestions. I'd be a cheap hire, since I'd work for capes. Posted Image

That Big Ben chime a pretty cool idea! You can also do that with capacitators and note blocks, but you need a separate note block and capacitator for every time of day, as opposed to just one melody block.
To see a list of my redstone inventions check out Regular Hexahedron's Inventorium!

#50

Jake Von
    Jake Von

    Lapis Lazuli Collector

  • Members
  • 1070 posts
  • Location: Jartial Arts Dojo
  • Minecraft: JakeVon

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:13 PM

View Posthuge0, on 11 December 2012 - 09:06 PM, said:

FYI according to my knowledge, red is low frequency and violet is high, aka infrared, which is heat and ultraviolet, which is solar radiation.
Heat is just how fast matter moves, infrared is light, aka photons, aka not how fast matter moves.
All radiation that comes from a star is solar radiation, which means all light.
It's hard criticizing ideas when one is tired, so you'd better appreciate it when I criticize yours.

#51

Maxskywalker

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:16 AM

View Posthuge0, on 11 December 2012 - 09:06 PM, said:

FYI according to my knowledge, red is low frequency and violet is high, aka infrared, which is heat and ultraviolet, which is solar radiation.
I support the ideas though.
Another idea is: what if the tnt detonation time coalates to the adjacent redstone poewerlevel? The higher the power, the shorter the fuze.
You mean higher currents travel faster?  Wouldn't that utterly break all redstone timing, even after the update?

#52

Regular Hexahedron

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:19 AM

View Posthuge0, on 11 December 2012 - 09:06 PM, said:

FYI according to my knowledge, red is low frequency and violet is high, aka infrared, which is heat and ultraviolet, which is solar radiation.
I support the ideas though.
Another idea is: what if the tnt detonation time coalates to the adjacent redstone poewerlevel? The higher the power, the shorter the fuze.

Yep, my bad. Science fail on my part. Thanks for pointing out my error.
To see a list of my redstone inventions check out Regular Hexahedron's Inventorium!

#53

ShermyA3
    ShermyA3

    Zombie Killer

  • Members
  • 231 posts
  • Location: Las Hellas

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:23 AM

Sounds good.Other blocks should react to power differently.

#54

Neospector
  • Location: The Temple of Rhinne, Goddess and Transcendent of Time
  • Minecraft: Neospector

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:27 AM

View Posthuge0, on 11 December 2012 - 09:06 PM, said:

Another idea is: what if the tnt detonation time coalates to the adjacent redstone poewerlevel? The higher the power, the shorter the fuse.
I'd say no. I'd rather not have to risk space wasted on a TNT cannon for the sake of detonating TNT at a proper timing interval. Also, that would probably, if not certainly, break things.

Badgerz said:

You have to keep in mind that people are stupid.

Catelite said:

Just because you don't understand how something works, doesn't make it broken or pointless. >_<
Posted Image

#55

Regular Hexahedron

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:32 AM

I think TNT should be left alone. Nothing old should be changed, because  that might annoy people who already use it.

However I could see new explosives getting added.

For example, it might be interesting to have a bomb that can only be activated by redstone, and the explosion strength is proportional to the signal received.
To see a list of my redstone inventions check out Regular Hexahedron's Inventorium!

#56

huge0
    huge0

    Zombie Killer

  • Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:19 AM

View PostJake Von, on 11 December 2012 - 10:13 PM, said:


Heat is just how fast matter moves, infrared is light, aka photons, aka not how fast matter moves.
All radiation that comes from a star is solar radiation, which means all light.

No nit-picking please,you know what I meant.
Perhas if you put tnt with a piece of string above it to make a tnt that can.actually shorten its timer based on redstone intensity input, it will allow allow all current tnt mechanisms to be unaltered.
Posted Image
Do you like me? klick the green (+)

#57

Cheewii
    Cheewii

    Coal Miner

  • Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:28 AM

I especially like the selector idea, support.
Posted Image

#58

Robert932

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:13 AM

nice   job.....Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#59

huge0
    huge0

    Zombie Killer

  • Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:43 PM

View PostMaxskywalker, on 12 December 2012 - 12:16 AM, said:

You mean higher currents travel faster?  Wouldn't that utterly break all redstone timing, even after the update?
ofcourse not, what I mean is that the powerlevel of the adjacent redstone would determin the fuze lenght of the 'controlled tnt' (not tnt): powerlevel=15 would cause 0,5 second and powelevel 1 would give 8  second detonation.

Another Idea would be, what if you had a "redstone randomizer" which will output a random signal strenght, no matter the input, these would be quite handy for systems which use a random output: slot-machines, Agility games, Reaction-time games etc.
Posted Image
Do you like me? klick the green (+)

#60

MadeInAMinute

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:45 PM

I think this would be pretty awesome! I support this