• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Help please! How on earth do you buy Minecraft for a child account on Xbox?

xbox child purchase problem

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

confusedmum

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:35 AM

Hi, my son is very keen to buy Minecraft for the Xbox so he can play with his friend online, but we have a problem. He has a child account on Xbox (he's 8), and the system won't let him purchase the game! I did go in and change his parental settings to allow purchases, and we successfully added points to his account, but now he can't use them!!

I know lots of kids do use Minecraft on Xbox, so what's the solution? Do we purchase it using my husband's gamer tag instead - and if we do, will my son be able to see/play it while logged in as himself? (And another issue - will it be possible to transfer the £17 worth of points currently on my son's account to his father?)

Very fed up with Xbox right now - have spent an hour of my Saturday morning basically banging my head against the Microsoft wall. :-/ Any advice most welcome!!

Register or log in to remove.

boxanata
    boxanata

Ghast Hunter

• Members
  • 2729 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:58 AM

Unfortunately, you cannot transfer Microsoft points from one account to another. You can however, purchase Minecraft for your son using your husbands account. Your son will then be able to play using his own account, provide it's on the same Xbox.

Posted Image

confusedmum

Posted 08 December 2012 - 10:01 AM

So that's £17 down the drain, then?? Wonder if they'll refund it (*laughs*)

Is it possible to temporarily change my son's account to an adult account to buy the game with his points, then change it back?

DeanUK
    DeanUK

Prof. Moderator

• Sectional Moderator
  • Curse Premium
  • 1411 posts
  • Minecraft: DeanUK

Posted 08 December 2012 - 10:11 AM

View Postconfusedmum, on 08 December 2012 - 10:01 AM, said:

So that's £17 down the drain, then?? Wonder if they'll refund it (*laughs*)

Is it possible to temporarily change my son's account to an adult account to buy the game with his points, then change it back?

I'm pretty sure that the only way to change the account into an adult account is when he turns 18, it automatically changes. No other way apart from that I'm afraid.

Posted Image

Quote my post if you're looking for a reply.

ubergine
    ubergine

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1395 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:12 PM

I would personally call Microsoft Customer Support about it. I don't know anything about their purchase restrictions for child accounts. I mean, if they allow POINTS to be added to the account, then he must be able to buy SOMETHING! Maybe your son's account can pay for skins and future DLC?

The good news for you in the meantime is:

If you buy the game with another account from the Xbox your son uses, then the "license" for the game will be tied to that console and anyone playing on that console should be able to play the full game.

At the same time, the game license is ALSO tied to the account which purchased it. The effect of this is, if you have or get a second Xbox (or go to someone's house) you can use the purchasing account to download the full version to this other Xbox. however, the purchasing account will need to be signed in online to play it - if the game owner isn't signed in to Live the game reverts to "Trial Mode".

In this way, you could for example have two people play the single purchase of the game on two xboxs, so each has their own full screen.

You can also transfer the license completely to a different Xbox if you original breaks or you just want it on a new one to some reason. That's not hard, but you can search for Xbox 360 License Transfer on the Microsoft site for more on that.

wolfeuk
    wolfeuk

Nether Resident

• Members
  • 2362 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 01:54 PM

tbh i would just leave the points on your sons account, there are a few skins already out for MC that he could DLC, he would probably ask once he found them anyway....
there will probably be more DLC in the near future that will cost MS points so doubt they would be wasted....

daddystarbucks

Posted 08 January 2014 - 11:15 AM

View Postconfusedmum, on 08 December 2012 - 09:35 AM, said:

Hi, my son is very keen to buy Minecraft for his Xbox so he can play with his friend online, but we have a problem. He has a child account on Xbox (he's 8), and the system won't let him purchase the game! I did go in and change his parental settings to allow purchases, and we successfully added points to his account, but now he can't use them!!

I know lots of kids do use Minecraft on Xbox, so what's the solution? Do we purchase it using my husband's gamer tag instead - and if we do, will my son be able to see/play it while logged in as himself? (And another issue - will it be possible to transfer the £17 worth of points currently on my son's account to his father?)

Very fed up with Xbox right now - have spent an hour of my Saturday morning basically banging my head against the Microsoft wall. :-/ Any advice most welcome!!

Hi,  I managed to get around this

first i went to http://account.live....ummarypage.aspx and sign in under Junoirs gamertag details. Next click on registered information and change juniors birth date.
http://www.neoseeker...-xbox-live-age/

Then on the xbox 360 I logged in under the childs gamertag.
went to "settings"
onto  "Privacy"

changed juniors account from child account to adult account.  I had to enter my parent password.

then loaded minecraft on the xbox 360 and selected "unlock full game"
This sent me to the purchase screen.
after selecting purchase.  It asked for confirmation of juniors xbox log in email address and password, as well as a billing address.

After these details were entered the purchase was accepted using juniors gamertag and the game was downloaded to the xbox 360.

So now minecraft is linked to juniors console and gamertag.
Hope this helps others..  :~)

Disdonn
    Disdonn

Coal Miner

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 03:41 PM

You could have just bought the disk version so....but it works, I think that's one of the (many) reasons for making the disk version. Glad you figured it out though, Minecraft is great for kids!
Posted Image