• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

[1.6.x/1.5.x/1.4.7] Underground Biomes (Forge, SMP compatible)

forge worldgen biomes 1.6.x 1.5.x 1.4.7 rock stone geology realism

• Please log in to reply
960 replies to this topic

Grom PE
    Grom PE

Mathematical Dessert

• Members
  • 314 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 04:32 AM

POPULAR

Underground Biomes Mod for 1.4.7/1.5.x/1.6.x
Originally by Exterminator Jeff

Description:
  • Overhauls the underground experience with Underground Biomes that define the rock types present.
  • These biomes occur differently to the surface biomes making exploration underground more interesting
  • Adds 57 new blocks using 12 block IDs and 2 new items (so far):
    • 8 types of Igneous rock with Cobblestone and Bricks
    • 8 types of Metamorphic rock with Cobblestone and Bricks
    • Half slabs for all Brick types
    • 8 types of sedimentary rock
    • A coal storage block (for Minecraft 1.5.x and earlier)
    • Lignite, a low quality coal found in large quantities
    • Fossil piece, a rare drop found in sedimentary rock and crafted to bone meal
  • All Vanilla recipes updated to use new rock, cobble and brick types
  • A very rare drop of lapis lazuli and redstone from deep metamorphic stone
  • A very rare drop of gold and other mod metal nuggets from deep igneous stone
  • A rare drop of fossils (from limestone, chalk, siltstone, lignite and dolomite), flint items (from chert) and clay (from shale)

Spoiler: Change Log

Spoiler: Images and detailed description

Spoiler: Rock hardness table

Download

Version 0.4.2c, updated 29 Oct 2013
for Minecraft 1.6.x

Version 0.4.2, updated 03 Jul 2013
for Minecraft 1.5.x | for Minecraft 1.4.7

Mod Support:

More Fuel, Tweaks, and Everything by Grom PE - Adds Underground Biomes block support for Equivalent Exchange 3 (stone transmutations) and Thaumcraft (aspects for blocks and items).

Texture packs:

PureBDcraft HD textures (WIP) by various authors
[Screenshot] photorealistic 128x128 textures (WIP) by Els236
[Screenshot] 128x128 textures by Wreckage
[Screenshot] 32x32 faithful style texture pack by The_Order
[Screenshot] Sphax texture pack by SirOldie

Mod compatibility:

Currently may not work with ID resolver!
It should be compatible with other mods, including worldgen ones.
You can change Block IDs in the config file in case of ID conflict.

All recipes from the base game are by default modified to accept modded stone.
In case that doesn't work, try /oredictifystone chat command (requires cheats/server owner powers).
In case other mods require regular cobblestone, it can be crafted by arranging modified cobblestone in 2x2 pattern.

Spoiler: Installation

Mod packs permission:

You are free to include this mod in your private or public non-commercial mod pack, provided you mention the authors and a link to this page.

Source:

All source code is available on Github. Feel free to fork, submit bugs, feature requests and patches!

Note: as Exterminator Jeff did not specify a license and gave the project to me as whole, I think it's only fair to declare it public domain.
Basically, do what you want but I would appreciate the credit.

An XMPP groupchat for talking about this mod or Minecraft modding in general: http://chat.grompe.org.ru/#mcmoddev (xmpp:[email protected])
Posted Image Programming is thinking.

Register or log in to remove.

Sraosha001

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:47 AM

This is sweet!  I was wondering when something like this would show up!  If there was a way to have different ore blocks for each new stone type, I will download this in a heartbeat.

Steelflame
  • Minecraft: Steelflameblade

Posted 08 December 2012 - 06:20 AM

Nice, but if I was you, I would also provide HD textures on top of your low res ones.  This is so people using texturepacks don't feel messed up by the low res stone though most of their underworld.

Warning : This user is prone to doing sporadic edits of recent comments to further expand upon old ideas. This is a very common thing especially right after posting.  Keep this in mind when talking to me over these forums.

I run a small magic focused private server.  If you are interested in joining us, click the banner below to find out more.

Posted Image

_SL_Ryuk_

Posted 08 December 2012 - 07:00 AM

Compatible with Extrabiomes XL?

Murayama

Posted 08 December 2012 - 07:18 AM

This is something I've been hoping to see more of in Minecraft. Ever since I tried Terrafirmacraft I've hoped someone would make a mod that introduced a similar geology but that it would still play nice with other mods.

Your mod seems to modify a lot of base classes, which makes me worry that it's also not going to play nice with other mods. Is this really necessary? Is it a byproduct of modifying vanilla recipes? Personally, I'd much rather you just implement recipes where 2 of your stones in a crafting grid give you 2 generic cobblestone. This would solve the problem of unique stone not being in current vanilla recipes.

I'm also curious if the stone has different hardness (and blast resistances) that line up (roughly) with their hardnesses in real life.

Exterminator Jeff

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:12 PM

View PostSraosha001, on 08 December 2012 - 05:47 AM, said:

This is sweet!  I was wondering when something like this would show up!  If there was a way to have different ore blocks for each new stone type, I will download this in a heartbeat.

This is something that I'm hoping to do but I'm not quite sure how to do it without changing a lot of core Minecraft files and potentially making this incompatible with a lot of other mods. If anyone knows of a good way of combining two textures on one block I'd like to hear it!

View PostSteelflame, on 08 December 2012 - 06:20 AM, said:

Nice, but if I was you, I would also provide HD textures on top of your low res ones.  This is so people using texturepacks don't feel messed up by the low res stone though most of their underworld.

I would quite like to do this as I think it would make it a lot better. I found it pretty hard to make 24 rock textures that actually looked different enough with such a small resolution. I can provide the .psd for anyone that wanted to give it a go as I probably wont be able to for a while.

View Post_SL_Ryuk_, on 08 December 2012 - 07:00 AM, said:

Compatible with Extrabiomes XL?

I haven't tested it yet but it should be as I haven't changed any of the base biome stuff as far as I know

View PostMurayama, on 08 December 2012 - 07:18 AM, said:

This is something I've been hoping to see more of in Minecraft. Ever since I tried Terrafirmacraft I've hoped someone would make a mod that introduced a similar geology but that it would still play nice with other mods.

Your mod seems to modify a lot of base classes, which makes me worry that it's also not going to play nice with other mods. Is this really necessary? Is it a byproduct of modifying vanilla recipes? Personally, I'd much rather you just implement recipes where 2 of your stones in a crafting grid give you 2 generic cobblestone. This would solve the problem of unique stone not being in current vanilla recipes.

I'm also curious if the stone has different hardness (and blast resistances) that line up (roughly) with their hardnesses in real life.

The base classes that had to be modifed were mainly around world generation to force the game to do a second round of block replacements. As far as I know there isn't any way around this at the moment. I think it should work fine with most other mods as I changed hardly any of the base stuff in those clases but rather added new stuff. There is just a few key lines that I had to add to base methods.

There is a recipe like you describe! It's like a crafting table but with mod cobble and gives vanilla cobble back.

I'm planning on having different hardnesses etc soon but it will probably take a bit of research and I've just started working full time. But yep that's definitely the plan
Posted Image

tetrislicious
  • Minecraft: cheesemonk42

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:20 PM

is the normal cobblestone available? also very nice mod

Exterminator Jeff

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:23 PM

View Postpinkiepiestyle, on 08 December 2012 - 09:20 PM, said:

is the normal cobblestone available? also very nice mod

You can convert the cobble from the mod in normal cobblestone. The recipe is like the crafting table recipe except with cobblestone and gives you four normal cobblestone.
Posted Image

tetrislicious
  • Minecraft: cheesemonk42

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:26 PM

oh ok sweet this is simple but very nice

NuggetFace

Posted 08 December 2012 - 11:28 PM

Thought I would make a mod review, the mod ran really well and I had no issues with it.

thrandisher

Posted 08 December 2012 - 11:44 PM

Very nice! Ill let ya get a bit more work into it before i grab it, mostly because i just got my install stable, heh.  I am wondering how this will play with the cave generation mod. SInce that mod basicly makes you start out underground and live down there.

GreenToast 125
  • Minecraft: GreenToast 555

Posted 09 December 2012 - 12:06 AM

Love the mod! However, would there possibly be any way to make subtypes for all the ores so they don't look so hideous with the other rock that their with?

Exterminator Jeff

Posted 09 December 2012 - 03:49 AM

View PostNuggetFace, on 08 December 2012 - 11:28 PM, said:

Thought I would make a mod review, the mod ran really well and I had no issues with it.

Wow thanks I'll add it to the top post!

View Postthrandisher, on 08 December 2012 - 11:44 PM, said:

Very nice! Ill let ya get a bit more work into it before i grab it, mostly because i just got my install stable, heh.  I am wondering how this will play with the cave generation mod. SInce that mod basicly makes you start out underground and live down there.

As I guess I'd say it should work fine provided the cave generation mod doesn't change the same vanilla classes that this does. When I get time I'll try it out with a bunch of popular mods and try and fix as many incompatibilities as I can.

View PostGreenToast 125, on 09 December 2012 - 12:06 AM, said:

Love the mod! However, would there possibly be any way to make subtypes for all the ores so they don't look so hideous with the other rock that their with?

I think I mentioned it further up but it's something I'd like to fix it's a complicated issue to solve as far as I know without being really bad for compatibility with other mods
Posted Image

Luckbot
    Luckbot

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 31 posts
  • Minecraft: Luckbot

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:22 AM

your download link on the forge forum doesn't work (i.. i.. *shiver* i had to use google to find this)

nice mod! gonna try it out when i'm home

i guess it doesnt effect the spawning of IC² ores and BC oil?

View PostExterminator Jeff, on 09 December 2012 - 03:49 AM, said:

I think I mentioned it further up but it's something I'd like to fix it's a complicated issue to solve as far as I know without being really bad for compatibility with other mods

wouldn't that work with a small texture pack that replaces the ores? see no reason why not

edit: behaves strange it spams the console with [STDERR] Error!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
and industrialcraft ores spawm mid air and everywhere above ocean biomes
wich forge build is recommendet?

Exterminator Jeff

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:25 AM

View PostLuckbot, on 11 December 2012 - 10:22 AM, said:

your download link on the forge forum doesn't work (i.. i.. *shiver* i had to use google to find this)

nice mod! gonna try it out when i'm home

i guess it doesnt effect the spawning of IC² ores and BC oil?

wouldn't that work with a small texture pack that replaces the ores? see no reason why not

edit: behaves strange it spams the console with [STDERR] Error!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
and industrialcraft ores spawm mid air and everywhere above ocean biomes
wich forge build is recommendet?

Thanks for letting me know I suspect that has to do with the ore placement method which I had to adapt to have them replace the new rocks instead of plain stone. It's strange though as I would have expected no new ores to spawn if there was a problem there. Are you using just IC2 and BC or a larger pack?

That error message is something I forgot to take out and is not a problem at all. It should only happen when first starting a new map and has to do with a strange bug that came up when trying to place strongholds. I didn't changed any of the code where the bug was occurring but I managed to work around it so strongholds do generate just fine.

It was built against forge 6.4.

On the issue of textures I could go that route but I'd have to make textures for each of the 7 ores for 16 types of rock resulting in 112 new textures. I suppose I could go a bit further with certain ores only being in certain biomes and then only make the textures for those ones. The next issue would be whether they dropped the normal ore when mined (when applicable) or the newly textured ore as if it dropped the new one it could mess with other mods recipes that might require that ore.
Posted Image

88mooggles

Posted 15 December 2012 - 07:17 AM

LOVE this!

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image 's for you!

Could you add support for Mystcraft? so your underground biomes can be added as glyphs?
Rook Castleman/Ashillion Mashuga /http://ashillion.wor...egory/amossoma/
"Building a better tomorrow one dream at a time…" [ 一度に1つの夢より良い明日を構築する

Exterminator Jeff

Posted 16 December 2012 - 02:27 AM

I could have a look at that. The only issue would be currently they don't have meaningful names and it would be hard to actually think of good ones. Right now they have names like igneous1 etc. I guess I could think of something though.

View Post88mooggles, on 15 December 2012 - 07:17 AM, said:

LOVE this!

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image 's for you!

Could you add support for Mystcraft? so your underground biomes can be added as glyphs?

Posted Image

88mooggles

Posted 17 December 2012 - 05:28 AM

I think that names like Igneous1 ect would be fine!

Spoiler:

I think from the log file it is a conflict with ExtrabiomesXL-universal-1.4.5-3.6.0...
Rook Castleman/Ashillion Mashuga /http://ashillion.wor...egory/amossoma/
"Building a better tomorrow one dream at a time…" [ 一度に1つの夢より良い明日を構築する

Exterminator Jeff

Posted 18 December 2012 - 05:06 AM

View Post88mooggles, on 17 December 2012 - 05:28 AM, said:

I think that names like Igneous1 ect would be fine!

Spoiler:

I think from the log file it is a conflict with ExtrabiomesXL-universal-1.4.5-3.6.0...

Thanks for the log I'll have a look at that. It might be to do with the order the mods were installed in. Which did you install first? I'll download extrabiomes and see if I can fix it
Posted Image

Murayama

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:25 PM

Finally got a chance to test this mod out and I have to say that I really enjoy the rock generation. Instead of stacks and stacks of generic boring cobblestone I can now have many different types of stone which can be used for decoration purposes. I also really like that you use the actual geological names for the stone.

That said, I've found several problems with the mod which keep me from wanting to use it.

1. I'll start with a small one. Stone bricks drop Stone cobble when destroyed. I'm sure this is just an oversight which can easily be fixed.
2. What is up with the [STDERR] message that gets spammed on the console when you quit a world? A couple times it seems to have caused Minecraft to lock up on me.
3. This mod is incompatible with Better World Generation 3 which has become my default world generation mod. Whenever you start a new world with both loaded you spawn in mid air and there is no world.
4. This mod doesn't work right with IC2. IC2 ores spawn all about the world in mid air.
5. This mod doesn't work right with Custom Ore Generation which is my default ore generation mod. Basically generic smooth stone shows up where ores typically would.
6. This is more of a request. I'd love to see soft stones like chalk and marble be a little easier to mine and offer less blast resistance while harder stones like granite and basalt be a little harder to mine and offer more blast resistance. Basically something similar to the Moh's scale of hardness. (http://en.wikipedia....ineral_hardness)

Now I've only tried 3 of the 40 plus mods I usually run, and none of them have worked correctly. It doesn't seem like there should be this many problems for something that simply replaces stone so I'm guessing part of the problem is with the ore generation aspect of your mod. I'm hoping you'll consider scaling it back or maybe making a simple version of the mod that replaces generic stone with your stones but doesn't touch ore gen. Until then I doubt many people will be interested in using it. That would be a shame because it really is a great addition to Minecraft and I'm pulling for it to succeed.