64 replies to this topic

RisaIvan
    RisaIvan

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 168 posts
  • Minecraft: RisaI

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:27 PM

Dinnerbone just posted this. New use for anvil on the way! :)
Posted Image
Try my new 2D survival game Zombit.

Register or log in to remove.

Kholdstare
    Kholdstare

Blaze Extinguisher

• Members
  • 4841 posts
  • Location: I could probably put an overused/bad joke here, but instead I put this when I should be telling the world my location.
  • Minecraft: Giygas924

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:31 PM

I refuse to comprehend a fire aspect book. I refuse!

(I wonder what that book is about, anyway... but it looks like it's relatively cheap to make them. What I can see from this is that you can enchant books to hold enchantments for when you have extra EXP and combine them with things in the anvil to enchant them. Would be interesting if you could do this to enchant more than just swords, armor, and tools.)

Edit: Wait, why would Dinnerbone tweet something like this when we're getting a redstone update? This is cool and all, but not really all that related to redstone.

Posted ImageDid something happen to you in your childhood to give you this unreasonable fear of rutabaga?Posted Image

Nerevar
    Nerevar

Creeper Destroyer

• Members
  • 6104 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:44 PM

Well, I'm not exactly doing backflips over it, but it is a cool addition. I wonder if mapmakers can abuse this in any way.

View PostKholdstare, on 06 December 2012 - 08:31 PM, said:

Edit: Wait, why would Dinnerbone tweet something like this when we're getting a redstone update? This is cool and all, but not really all that related to redstone.

There's no reason why they can't toss in a few other things as well.

-The Power to Destroy-

Kholdstare
    Kholdstare

Blaze Extinguisher

• Members
  • 4841 posts
  • Location: I could probably put an overused/bad joke here, but instead I put this when I should be telling the world my location.

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:47 PM

View PostNerevar, on 06 December 2012 - 08:44 PM, said:

There's no reason why they can't toss in a few other things as well.

Fair point, but if these can be used on things besides tools and armor this update would feel more like an "adventure map making update" than a "redstone update".

I'm not complaining, though. Sharpness V fish FTW!

Posted ImageDid something happen to you in your childhood to give you this unreasonable fear of rutabaga?Posted Image

quickbeam1
  • Minecraft: quickbeam1
  • Xbox:Jeb_

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:58 PM

So does this mean normal enchanting (using the items directly) won't work anymore? Or is this just adding on to the enchanting system?
Posted Image

KingTrygon
    KingTrygon

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 934 posts
  • Minecraft: KingTrygon

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:04 PM

Would be nice to know how this works. I am guessing you enchant the books like you do items or you de-enchant items using books to 'capture' the enchants.

RisaIvan
    RisaIvan

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 168 posts
  • Minecraft: RisaI

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:07 PM

He said he wanted to add this long ago, but he had no time to do it.
Try my new 2D survival game Zombit.

Event_Horizon
  • Minecraft: warfighter67

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:12 PM

I believe they will act as a way to store enchantments. Put enchanted book in anvil slot with a tool and receive enchanted tool.
Posted Image
Click the picture!

Xolaphonze

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:16 PM

Maybe the enchanted book is used in anvil to enchant a item but with limited uses until it breaks.

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 157 posts
  • Minecraft: 860

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:30 PM

No you dingus. Look at the picture. You clearly combine it with the tool/weapon of your choice in the anvill.

I think Dinnerbone said that it would take levels to combine it aswell so this would be more expensive xp-wise but cheaper for the materials.

Caeric
    Caeric

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 465 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 12:12 AM

Interesting. I'm not sure that this has a lot of vanilla application (if it works the way that it appears), but it's another great tool for adventure map design -- map makers could give enchanted tomes as treasure to the players, meaning that players could keep the same equipment throughout a whole adventure while also feeling as though they've progressed and been empowered.

I think it's cool. I'm really looking forward to 1.5. Mostly the modding API, but every little addition to Minecraft is a great thing.
Make note: I generally avoid being insulting. If I sound insulting, I'm probably joking.

Kholdstare
    Kholdstare

Blaze Extinguisher

• Members
  • 4841 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 12:24 AM

View Post860, on 06 December 2012 - 09:30 PM, said:

No you dingus. Look at the picture. You clearly combine it with the tool/weapon of your choice in the anvill.

Yes, which is how you would get the enchantments on your junk after you store the enchantment...

metroidfood

Posted 07 December 2012 - 12:24 AM

Now all we need is a good way to disenchant items.

thevampman24

Posted 07 December 2012 - 12:35 AM

View Postmetroidfood, on 07 December 2012 - 12:24 AM, said:

Now all we need is a good way to disenchant items.
Maybe enchatments we don't like can be put on books?

Kelemvore
  • Minecraft: elxist
  • Xbox:Demonoid74

Posted 07 December 2012 - 12:43 AM

Now if I can put smite IV on a Potato , I am totally in!
Posted Image

Epicness1324

Posted 07 December 2012 - 12:54 AM

View PostKelemvore, on 07 December 2012 - 12:43 AM, said:

Now if I can put smite IV on a Potato , I am totally in!

ALL HAIL THE HYPNOTATO!!!!

Anywho, I'm really disappointed that we didn't get a snapshot this week. I doubt that 1.5 will be out anytime near January if they just started development and haven't released a single snapshot.
Posted Image
I am ninja'd far too often.

Baconboy2015
  • Minecraft: BaconBoy2015
  • PSN:MrBacon18

Posted 07 December 2012 - 12:57 AM

Wondering how the enchant-ability will work with it. Since different tools have different enchantment level things (gold is highest, diamond second highest, etc) will it enchant the book like it's a wooden tool? Or a gold tool? Or what? I think it is awesome, because I get to level 30 quite frequently and I always feel like I have to use more diamonds in order to not waste those levels by dying.
Feel free to check out my channel!

rodabon
    rodabon

End Dweller

• Members
  • 7187 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 01:10 AM

View PostKingTrygon, on 06 December 2012 - 09:04 PM, said:

Would be nice to know how this works. I am guessing you enchant the books like you do items or you de-enchant items using books to 'capture' the enchants.

I was wondering the same thing.

I just wish we could re-enchant an item if we get an undesirable enchantment.  I wouldn't mind spending the xp again, but it stinks getting a diamond sword with bane of arthropods V and being stuck with a decision between using it till it breaks or just throwing it in lava.
Re: 3D Minecraft - Anyone tried it?
by c0yote  

I tried it with terrible results. I gave my wife my glasses for a second, a creeper showed up and now my wife is pregnant.
Stupid 3D..

Unilegger
    Unilegger

Creeper Destroyer

• Members
  • 5809 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 01:18 AM

What kind of enchantability do you get from those books? 5?

Posted Image

DragonHeroBlaze
  • Minecraft: DragonHeroBlaze

Posted 07 December 2012 - 01:26 AM

That's cool.
Maybe they could add enchanted books as a reward from dungeons too.
I know dinnerbone wanted there to be better loot from those.
(Although, I really don't support that he wants them to be uncraftable. I really think dungeons/ruins should have very helpful things, not exclusives.)
Check out the spoiler for my weather suggestion and a list of other topics of mine I think you should see.