• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

[1.5][SURV/HORROR/ADV] The Tower: An Exercise in Futility.[V 1.4][600 downloads!]

survival horror survival horror adventure tower scary 1.4.5 an exercise in futility the tower

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

Poll: Feedback. (3 member(s) have cast votes)

Is the map too -

1. Difficult? (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Easy? (1 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

3. Confusing? (1 votes [33.33%])

4. Other? (Please explain via comment.) (1 votes [33.33%])

5. The map was just fine. (0 votes [0.00%])

If you completed the game which ending did you get?

1. Good. (2 votes [66.67%])

Percentage of vote: 66.67%

2. Bad. (0 votes [0.00%])

3. I didn't complete it. (1 votes [33.33%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

Azaraphale15
  • Minecraft: Azaraphale14

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:24 PM

Escape is Futile.

Posted Image

You are the subject of a primitive cryogenic's test deep in the bowels of the "Tower", a top secret research facility. You remember none of this. Due to the nature of the primitive cryogenic chambers you have lost your memory, and the ability to speak. To add to all of this rather bad news, it appears that the facility you are in is old and abandoned, or so you think, until you hear a ghastly moan come from one of the other rooms. Will you be able to survive the horrors of this facility? Will you be able to escape and maybe see someone about your unfortunate memory and speech loss?

Of course not.

You will die.

Rules:

1. Do not Break Blocks.(with the exception of flares.)
2. Do not use inventory editors, or hackers etc.
3. Play on at least easy. It is impossible to complete the game otherwise.
4. It is required that you have fun.
5. Play using the texture pack included in the download. The game won't look right otherwise.

Gameplay Tips

1. Press buttons! Nearly every button on this map does something. try pressing a few and figuring out what. The first room has a computer that says "press button to play log", it is the only computer with a sign, but any computer that emits light and has a button on the block beneath it will tell you something.
2. Search everywhere! Often Times books are hidden in closets, or dropped from a certain dispenser or mob.
3. Turn on the Power! There are generators on the second floor that turn on the power and light up the map, figure out how to turn them on.
4. Flares! There are flares in this map, use them!

More Pictures of The Tower:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Download:

Included in this download is the map and the texture pack.

https://www.dropbox....rsion 1.6.1.zip

Download Instructions:

Insert the file labeled "The Tower" into your .minecraft/saves folder, then insert the .zip labeled "TowerTextures" into your texture pack folder.

Videos:

Coming Soon!

Walkthrough:

Spoiler:

Thanks for Reading!

Hello everyone, this is Azaraphale14, I locked my account out on accident, so this is a replacement.
Posted Image

Register or log in to remove.

casttom94
  • Minecraft: casttom94

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:35 PM

i going to do a video on this look interesting and will make for some interesting videos

Kitsume
    Kitsume

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 25 posts
  • Minecraft: kitsumekajime
  • Xbox:digitalfoxneko

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:40 PM

Hmmm seems interesting ill give this a shot.

Azaraphale15

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:51 PM

Thanks guys, remember to tell me what y'all think, any advice you have, or any bugs you find.
Hello everyone, this is Azaraphale14, I locked my account out on accident, so this is a replacement.
Posted Image

Kereminde

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:38 AM

I don't know if it's just me or what but it seems FAR too dark to see where I am going anywhere.

Azaraphale15

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:37 PM

alright, did you find the flares that are in the storage room on the cryo-lab floor (first floor)? Should I maybe add more flares in other places around the map?
Posted Image

Rytuxas
    Rytuxas

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:08 PM

i could record it :D but first ill see if i like it.

Azaraphale15

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:13 PM

Well tell either way, I am always open to both videos and constructive criticism.
Posted Image

Rytuxas
    Rytuxas

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:22 PM

yup,i could do it ;D really interesting and creepy...btw,can i place those flairs and break them down?

Azaraphale15

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:28 PM

Yep. thats what they were meant for.
Posted Image

Rytuxas
    Rytuxas

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:31 PM

ok thanks :D and another question,you have to play on easy? because i saw mob spawners in the walls (those little fires) anyway,i see u putted this map yesterday...and it has alot views,and map is COOL ;D hope you will make other cool maps

Azaraphale15

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:34 PM

You have to play on at least easy, you won't be able to beat the map otherwise.
Posted Image

Rytuxas
    Rytuxas

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:41 PM

ah ok,thanks ^_^

Azaraphale15

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:44 PM

No problem, and thanks for playing!
Posted Image

Kereminde

Posted 07 December 2012 - 04:05 PM

View PostAzaraphale15, on 06 December 2012 - 03:37 PM, said:

alright, did you find the flares that are in the storage room on the cryo-lab floor (first floor)? Should I maybe add more flares in other places around the map?

I couldn't see anything in that storage room to actually find the flares. That kinda repeated through the whole mod. I had to turn it to Peaceful as I couldn't see what was beating on me :(

Nicob8
    Nicob8

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:17 PM

man, the map is very difficult, not explained it well what he had to do, I recommend explain more next time

Azaraphale15

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:08 PM

Alright, Seeing as right now the general consensus seems to be that it is too dark, I recommend everyone turn their brightness setting up while I incorporate s few more lights (Not many, as It is a relatively small space and light goes a long way in it. Also, I recommend trying to turn on the power when you get flares, it greatly improves the number of lights.) As for the lack of explanation, that won't change, because A large part of this map is figuring it out for yourself, I will not spoon feed you story or explanations. Treat the map like a survival map, where you can't break any blocks.
Posted Image

Fellonius the Wizard

Posted 08 December 2012 - 06:48 PM

The Tower: An Exercise in Futility (Adventure 13/20) by Azaraphale15
Date tested/downloaded: 2012-12-08
This is a very clever map, and also very hard to specify genre. It IS an Escape map as such, since that's what you're trying to do, but no-one is trying to kill you. There's no reason for you to escape, except for the fact that if you don't, it will be like seeing grass grow. After a while, the grass-looking thing is very tempting. Throughout the climbing inside an elevator shaft, you get the feeling of "who cares?" and why should you? There's no feedback if you do something right, (if that's possible, (sice you don't get any feedback to know it)), and you don't feel proud of yourself at any time. The "horror" thing is mob spawners, I guess, because on Peaceful there's no horror going on, just a slow feeling of loneliness. I put an hour into it, and as far as I can tell, I didn't get anywhere. Theme (there's no story) is 4/5, because of the genuine Build. Puzzles are 2/5, climbing isn't hard. Entertainment value decreases by every 15 minutes, and you leave the map with releave, 2/5. The Build is very good, there's even a pool table!! The facilities seem genuine and I just had to look everywhere I could, 5/5. Total for this one: 13/20.

Azaraphale15

Posted 08 December 2012 - 06:56 PM

Hey I just saw that you reviewed my map, and while I am not going to argue with you over the score, I would like to ask if you tried pressing any of the buttons, or if you had the map on at least easy. The story is mainly delivered through command blocks and books. books can be found in chests, and if you press pretty much any button it will tell you something. However all of that aside, where can I improve? What specifically do i need to do to make sure that other players know that all of the buttons do something, and that they have to actually look for the story themselves? What can I do to make it easier or harder.

keep in mind that I don't want to have signs everywhere telling the player to press this or what have you. I would really prefer that the player gets as little help from the map maker as possible. But seeing as how you are the second person to have issues with the lack of explanation, What do you suggest for a non-intrusive way to tell the player to press some buttons?

Also, I have updated the map to light the storage room with the flares ( a preemptive lighting fix),  and added a sign or two to remind the player that buttons are there to be pressed on this map.
Posted Image

Azaraphale15

Posted 09 December 2012 - 01:24 AM

Update 1.3:
Fixed the journal drop in the diner,
Removed flashing torches,
Added a floor directory on the 3rd floor.
changed some of the writing around a bit.
Posted Image