Latest News Article

OptiFine

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

CupcakesAndMinecraft
  • Minecraft: lABabyBunnyl
  • Xbox:lABabyBunnyl

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:20 PM

Someone has suggested me to download the OptiFine mod so Minecraft won't lag for me. On the website these are the instructions of how to use it:

1.Locate your minecraft.jar file in %APPDATA%/.minecraft/bin. I have no minecraft.jar file, only a Minecraft file.
2.Create a backup of the file. (Which I obviously cannot do because I can't find it.)
3.Open minecraft,jar in 7zip.
4. Delete the META-INF folder. (What the hell is that and where would it be?)
5. Copy the .class files (????) from the download zip files (?????) into the jar file, replacing previous files.

I have no clue how to do this, and I really need this to speed up my game. Please help?
C'est la vie.

Register or log in to remove.

Ora the Owlish

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:59 PM

Hmm...%APPDATA% is a hidden file. Furthermore, that path only works if you're using Windows.

1) Are you using Windows?
2) If so, do you feel confident about revealing hidden files? (instructions are all over the internet if you are)

If you're having issues with mod installation, I typically recommend using MagicLauncher. It's developed by the same Minecrafter who handles Optifine, so you know the two work together.

http://www.minecraft...s-options-news/

Magiclauncher's the nicest mod-managing client I've used yet. And, no offense, if you're having a hard time with finding %APPDATA%, you may not want to be toying with your minecraft.jar, which can become "broken" rather easily when installing mods without a bit of foreknowledge (more than I have, at least).

If you want to give it a go installing mods by hand, then check out Youtube. It's quicker and easier to follow videos than read what instruction I can provide.
Ask me about giant, Canadian, zombie-steampunk tyrannosaurus rexes. Posted Image
I own one, and her name is Cuddlemuffins.

Dweller_Benthos
  • Minecraft: Dweller_Benthos

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:11 PM

Yes, those only apply to windows. Also, it's much easier to use a mod installer like magic launcher, but if you want to do it by hand, and you have windows, do this:

Open an explorer window, go to the tools menu, then folder options, then the view tab.
Scroll the list until you find "Hide extensions for known file types" and uncheck it. Hit Ok to close that dialog.
In the search bar at the top of the explorer window, type %APPDATA%/.minecraft/bin and hit enter, I think you've already done this.
You should now be able to find your minecraft.jar file now that extensions are no longer hidden.
You should already have 7zip installed, right click minecraft.jar and select the 7zip option, then open archive, the file will open in 7zip.
Scroll down the folder list in the 7zip window and find the folder called META-INF and delete it.
Now, open the optifine file you downloaded in another 7zip window, select ALL the files and folders there and drag them from that 7zip window to the 7zip window that has your minecraft.jar file open. Drop them on a blank area of the 7zip window, not on one of the files or folders displayed there. It will ask you if you want to copy the files, say yes.
Close both 7zip windows and run minecraft. Hit escape while playing to open the options and under graphic settings (whatever it's called) there should now be a bunch of new settings added by optifine.
D_B
To tell them how to live is to prevent them living.

dariusc93

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:06 PM

If you are nervous about installing mods manually, use MultiMC. It have a "Edit Mods" that allow you to add mods to the miencraft jar, coremods, mods, or even add texture packs. You can do all of this with a few clicks of a the mouse and your mods are installed. You can remove them to just as easily as you place them in without having to start over. Google it or search the forums for it.

CupcakesAndMinecraft
  • Minecraft: lABabyBunnyl
  • Xbox:lABabyBunnyl

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:24 PM

View PostOra the Owlish, on 05 December 2012 - 06:59 PM, said:

Hmm...%APPDATA% is a hidden file. Furthermore, that path only works if you're using Windows.

1) Are you using Windows?
2) If so, do you feel confident about revealing hidden files? (instructions are all over the internet if you are)

If you're having issues with mod installation, I typically recommend using MagicLauncher. It's developed by the same Minecrafter who handles Optifine, so you know the two work together.

http://www.minecraft...s-options-news/

Magiclauncher's the nicest mod-managing client I've used yet. And, no offense, if you're having a hard time with finding %APPDATA%, you may not want to be toying with your minecraft.jar, which can become "broken" rather easily when installing mods without a bit of foreknowledge (more than I have, at least).

If you want to give it a go installing mods by hand, then check out Youtube. It's quicker and easier to follow videos than read what instruction I can provide.
Thank you much, I'll do it this way. And yes, I have Windows.

*Edit* I used it and it works perfectly, thank you so much!
C'est la vie.