Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Capacitor?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

DragonHeroBlaze
  • Minecraft: DragonHeroBlaze

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:01 AM

So, apparently we are getting some new blocks in 1.5, mainly for redstone circuits.
One of these is the Capacitor.
Being somebody who doesn't exactly understand electronics, I looked up capacitor and the definition was along the lines of something that holds a charge...
The Minecraft wiki says "It will output a full redstone signal if the input redstone signal is a certain, controllable strength."
What?
I'm sorry, I don't get the point or the potential use of a capacitor, can somebody please explain in simple terms these things?
Check out the spoiler for my weather suggestion and a list of other topics of mine I think you should see.

Register or log in to remove.

Mathy
    Mathy

Matherator

• Sectional Moderator
  • 3527 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:05 AM

Basically, you know how the longer a chain of redstone, the weaker (less bright red) it gets? With a capacitor, if the signal strength is strong enough (bright enough) then it will output a full strength (brightest) signal, which is like the color if you hook a redstone torch directly to a wire.

Fermat said:

I have discovered a truly remarkable proof of this, which this margin is too small to contain.

BladeOfTheEast
  • Minecraft: tomahawk27

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:19 AM

View PostMathy, on 05 December 2012 - 12:05 AM, said:

Basically, you know how the longer a chain of redstone, the weaker (less bright red) it gets? With a capacitor, if the signal strength is strong enough (bright enough) then it will output a full strength (brightest) signal, which is like the color if you hook a redstone torch directly to a wire.

Well an actual capacitor is used in many electronic devices. basically was it does is it gets power from a source, then it saves all the power in banks, which size depends on how many banks there are and or how much power is dispersed. when its ready to be used it can disperse power at your will if it has a viable output. what your describing is a repeater.
have a question about redstone? email me about it at [email protected]

Mathy
    Mathy

Matherator

• Sectional Moderator
  • 3527 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:21 AM

View PostBladeOfTheEast, on 05 December 2012 - 12:19 AM, said:

Well an actual capacitor is used in many electronic devices. basically was it does is it gets power from a source, then it saves all the power in banks, which size depends on how many banks there are and or how much power is dispersed. when its ready to be used it can disperse power at your will if it has a viable output. what your describing is a repeater.

No, what I'm saying is if the input is strong enough, it will output full current.

Fermat said:

I have discovered a truly remarkable proof of this, which this margin is too small to contain.

DragonHeroBlaze

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:22 AM

View PostBladeOfTheEast, on 05 December 2012 - 12:19 AM, said:

Does that mean it would act as a clock circuit in one block?
Check out the spoiler for my weather suggestion and a list of other topics of mine I think you should see.

Mathy
    Mathy

Matherator

• Sectional Moderator
  • 3527 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:24 AM

View PostDragonHeroBlaze, on 05 December 2012 - 12:22 AM, said:

Does that mean it would act as a clock circuit in one block?

No. It will be like a repeater, but will only output current if the input is strong enough (you specify how strong)

Fermat said:

Martnem
    Martnem

Stone Miner

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:36 AM

View PostMathy, on 05 December 2012 - 12:24 AM, said:

No. It will be like a repeater, but will only output current if the input is strong enough (you specify how strong)

Ok, I have a feeling it might be useful for adventure map makers, but, if possible, could you give an example of what someone could do with it?

Take a look at the city of Midgar! (still a WIP)

http://www.minecraft...city-of-midgar/

DragonHeroBlaze

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:00 AM

View PostMathy, on 05 December 2012 - 12:24 AM, said:

I... don't see the point of that.

Mathy
    Mathy

Matherator

• Sectional Moderator
  • 3527 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:25 AM

View PostMartnem, on 05 December 2012 - 12:36 AM, said:

Ok, I have a feeling it might be useful for adventure map makers, but, if possible, could you give an example of what someone could do with it?

No, because there was not enough detail. However, it may be possible to do new circuits for combo locks using a specific signal strength as the only way in. I'm not positive if or how this could be done, when we get snapshots I am defiantly going to work on this.

View PostDragonHeroBlaze, on 05 December 2012 - 01:00 AM, said:

I... don't see the point of that.

The point is probably to have a new redstone focus on analogue signals rather than simple 1 and 0. As of now, all that matters in redstone is 1 or 0. I have a feeling that there will be transformers that end up changing current to whatever you want, say 4/15 signal strength, which will allow for some really complex locks.

Fermat said:

Owl Exterminator

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:48 AM

A capacitor will be a very useful way of making what was originally a VERY big circuit into much smaller, simpler one.

Make a long line of redstone, and a torch on one end. Did you notice that it gets dimmer as the line went down? That's because redstone has a limited distance- 15 blocks to be exact. Circuits which normally rely on "signal strength" in MC are normally based on the 15 block limit. A capacitor block will allow these circuits to do the same function without having to extend a line out to 15 blocks.

Instead of only taking "true" or "false" statements, capacitors have a threshold. If your capacitor is set to 15/15, It will only repeat the signal if the redstone torch is directly powering it, or is one block away. If the capacitor is 2 or more spaces away from the source, it will not repeat. You can also set these capacitors to have lesser signal strength thresholds, allowing them to be much more versatile and controllable, but the same idea applies. It is certainly more in line with real electronics than redstone is currently, but hopefully it'll bridge the gap, and allow for more simplicity.
Posted Image

Kidæn1305691681

Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:13 AM

View PostMartnem, on 05 December 2012 - 12:36 AM, said:

AND and NAND gates now only take up one block if you can set the capacitor to only engage when the signal of both inputs are on leading into an output line. Complex locks and hidden switches can be compacted due to being able to be combined with locked repeaters.

And that's without a firm grasp on redstone's inner workings.

RexBox1337
  • Location: Behind y- OKE THAT JOKE IS DEAD OKAY, STOP TELLING ME!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:18 AM

See it als an "if-gate". If the redstone power(0/15) is higher then a number you chose, it will output a powered redstone pulse, if not, it will give not powered redstone after the capacitor.

The redstone power depends on the input; sunglight detectors will like give the redstone a power depending on the brightness. Pressure plates will give a power that depends on the weight of the object on it.

Here is how you would use them:

Posted Image = Daylight detector
Posted Image = Redstone
Posted Image = Capacitor

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

If the redstone power the daylight detector gives you is high enough, the last 2 redstone will be on, otherwise it wil be off.

An possible use for a capacitor is that you could make lights in a castle, and once it turns dark all lights get on, while during day they are off.
People call me Rex, and Rex is latin for king.
In other words, bring sum mur cupcak's.

Darkfyre99

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:44 PM

One of the things I've enjoyed building are enchantment rooms where I can control the level through the use of a row of four buttons.

Currently, it's a pain to isolate each button.  I need to use a lot of repeaters, and a lot of space.

Depending upon how the capacitor block works, I could use a single redstone wire, and each button would trigger one, and only one, capacitor.  If the required signal strength is absolute, it would be relatively trivial to do so.  If the required signal strength is relative, it would be harder, but possible.

One thing I'd like to know is whether or not the capacitor block is going to be an actual block, or a "block" like the repeater.  I seefar more possibilities for the former than the latter.

edit:  nevermind, I just watched the source video, and it's like a repeater, darn it :(
At last, after 38 tries...

Achievement Get:  Silk Touch Pickaxe

Gnardak
    Gnardak

Diamond Miner

• Members
  • 854 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:10 PM

View PostRexBox1337, on 05 December 2012 - 05:18 AM, said:

See it als an "if-gate". If the redstone power(0/15) is higher then a number you chose, it will output a powered redstone pulse, if not, it will give not powered redstone after the capacitor.

The redstone power depends on the input; sunglight detectors will like give the redstone a power depending on the brightness. Pressure plates will give a power that depends on the weight of the object on it.

Here is how you would use them:

Posted Image = Daylight detector
Posted Image = Redstone
Posted Image = Capacitor

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

If the redstone power the daylight detector gives you is high enough, the last 2 redstone will be on, otherwise it wil be off.

An possible use for a capacitor is that you could make lights in a castle, and once it turns dark all lights get on, while during day they are off.

You could accomplish that with a repeater though. You just need to place a repeater as far away from the detector as the light level you want to detect. I suppose you can make things more compact with a capacitor but it's not actually necessary.

RexBox1337

Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:00 PM

View PostGnardak, on 05 December 2012 - 03:10 PM, said:

You could accomplish that with a repeater though. You just need to place a repeater as far away from the detector as the light level you want to detect. I suppose you can make things more compact with a capacitor but it's not actually necessary.

No, but the light detector is not the only use, you could also only let minecart chests trough that are full enough, others are send back.

Gnardak
    Gnardak

Diamond Miner

• Members
  • 854 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:23 PM

View PostRexBox1337, on 05 December 2012 - 05:00 PM, said:

No, but the light detector is not the only use, you could also only let minecart chests trough that are full enough, others are send back.
Again you can do that with a repeater so long as you have the variable strength minecart rail. So you still don't really need a capacitor.

RexBox1337

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:34 PM

View PostGnardak, on 06 December 2012 - 01:23 PM, said:

Again you can do that with a repeater so long as you have the variable strength minecart rail. So you still don't really need a capacitor.

The capicitator is MADE for the variable strength. It works like

If power > 5

{
power = true;
}

Or something like that.

Gnardak
    Gnardak

Diamond Miner

• Members
  • 854 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 02:13 PM

View PostRexBox1337, on 06 December 2012 - 01:34 PM, said:

The capicitator is MADE for the variable strength. It works like

If power > 5

{
power = true;
}

Or something like that.

Yes, and since any redstone signal degrades over distance you can achieve exactly the same result by just placing a repeater as far away from your variable input as you need. No Capacitor needed.

Sage Harpuia

Posted 07 December 2012 - 04:19 PM

View PostGnardak, on 07 December 2012 - 02:13 PM, said:

Yes, and since any redstone signal degrades over distance you can achieve exactly the same result by just placing a repeater as far away from your variable input as you need. No Capacitor needed.
But if the signal you want is 15, you need a 15-long line without a capacitator. And vanilla redstone is space-eating enough without the need of long lines :/

Posted Image

RexBox1337

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:51 PM

View PostGnardak, on 07 December 2012 - 02:13 PM, said:

Ah, I didn't knew that the power would deplete over time :/. My bad!