smp forge api 1.5.2

• Please log in to reply
14311 replies to this topic

Aeraesoria
  • Minecraft: Elessar_Elanesse

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:44 AM

View Postelemenster, on 14 January 2013 - 05:51 AM, said:

is that a bacon sword?

edit: also wher do i dl industrialcraft for 1.4.6/7 all i can find are 1.4.5 dls

on the industrialcraft2 forums.

Go into the support section and you'll see 1.112 beta

better yet... here's a link

http://forum.industr...d&threadID=8607

*sigh* if only Xycraft textures didn't flicker when looking at structures made out of them from a distance... that's my only beef with Xycraft... well there is also them not showing a proper color texture in the Rei's minimap as well... it's the damn same thing with greatwood trees from TC3, Acadia, Redwood, and Fir trees from extrabiomes XL.
Posted Image

Register or log in to remove.

elemenster

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:46 AM

View PostAeraesoria, on 14 January 2013 - 06:44 AM, said:

on the industrialcraft2 forums.

Go into the support section and you'll see 1.112 beta

better yet... here's a link

http://forum.industr...d&threadID=8607
thanks

mouse240

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:58 AM

View PostAeraesoria, on 14 January 2013 - 06:44 AM, said:

*sigh* if only Xycraft textures didn't flicker when looking at structures made out of them from a distance... that's my only beef with Xycraft... well there is also them not showing a proper color texture in the Rei's minimap as well... it's the damn same thing with greatwood trees from TC3, Acadia, Redwood, and Fir trees from extrabiomes XL.

This is a widely known issue with optifine, not XYcraft. Optifine is doing funky things to the renderer from what I hear and its causing all sorts of problems with many mods. I would have no problem with optifine doing things with the renderer if I got tangible performance gain from it but as it is now I see maybe a +5fps boost when using optifine.

Leaf7
    Leaf7

Stone Miner

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:24 AM

View Postnukularpower, on 14 January 2013 - 03:55 AM, said:

He has been awfully quiet.  I guess he deserves a break, though!

Plus, he had those cool lookin defender golems in that one DW20 vid.  But I want to see some of the TC2 tools come back in style!

Can you link me to which video that is?  Direwolf20 has so many

Illmad
    Illmad

Iron Miner

• Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:07 AM

View PostElmach, on 13 January 2013 - 10:27 PM, said:

You don't get "infinite" praecantio. You require the use of a wand when doing the process -- this method turns vis in the aura into the praecantio aspect.
Yeah, but the aura recharges itself, while other methods of gaining Precantatio require actually sacrificing items.

elemenster

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:26 AM

View PostBernardos, on 14 January 2013 - 11:07 AM, said:

Yeah, but the aura recharges itself, while other methods of gaining Precantatio require actually sacrificing items.
by draining infused ore turning it into dull ore, the only source of free aura are dark nodes and nodes that have just merged

moonra
    moonra

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 689 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:41 AM

The Aura is actually finite and if you keep spamming that method to create Praecantatio you'll deplete your local Aura relatively fast. It's infinite if you consider Mystcraft Ages, but without that it is finite. Nah, wait, you can now create Vis by making the Crystal Clusters, and you can also just keep planting Silverwood trees. But anyway, if you keep using the Aura recklessly, you might end up with a Node that have depleted all the surrounding Aura.

View Postelemenster, on 14 January 2013 - 11:26 AM, said:

by draining infused ore turning it into dull ore, the only source of free aura are dark nodes and nodes that have just merged
You're confusing Aura and Flux. Flux is part of the Aura [IIRC], but they're not the same thing.

Rossmallo

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:47 AM

What exactly is causing the corruption of worlds lately? It's getting a bit concerning hearing about it...
Resident Thaumaturge cake-dragon at your service o:

Posted Image

elemenster

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:57 AM

realy? I thought that dark nodes made both, could of sworn I read that somewhere

AnonTheMouse

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:28 PM

View PostLaskeri, on 13 January 2013 - 10:54 PM, said:

Maybe it could only generate aspects that are nearby? So people couldn't get aspects they don't already have, just aspects they might not want to use a lot of for research.

Even then though it seems a little broken, considering how easy it is to just pack up and move if the aura gets too low/the flux gets too high.

A salient point. My issue is that the "scavenger hunt" side of research is often tedious, and this can be compounded by the resources needed not being evident. This is particularly true with some later research, where several aspects have to be discovered before you even have a name to go off of (the general theories are a particular nuisance to learn). Having, even as a mid to high tier item, something more akin to the old Quaesitum, where it is possible to make progress even without ideal research materials, would do a lot to alleviate this. Thematically, it also seems fitting to imagine a magus sitting in his tower, making offerings to spirits and otherworldly beings through seances and rituals in order to gain secret knowledge. Since there are already some devices that act as upgraded workstations at the cost of vis drain and/or taint production, I imagine a research upgrade could work the same way. I will offer, though, that based on existing items like the infernal furnace and infusion altar, it might work batter to make it a multi-block structure than a crafted item.

Another possibility, rather than simply generating extra research, is that different aspects could be tied to different otherworldly beings. Thus they would be made into groupings. For example, "Flower, Herb, and Tree" might all belong to a "Dryad", "Harvest, Food, and Body" to "Brownie", "Decay, Body, and Poison" to "Ghoul", "Malice, Fire, and Darkness" to "Daemon", "Rock, Metal, and Precious" to "Kobold", "Din, Binding, and Soul" to "Banshee", etc... The simple method would be that sacrificing an aspect has a reduced chance of generating research for any other aspect in the same group. For the complex method, the being associated to each aspect group could be an actual mob. The research station would be a summoning circle. First you would have to draw out the magic circle, with dye or maybe special vis-infused dust, using either a menu or in-world placement on the ground. Maybe also lay out some candles. Then you place an offering for the spirits. The dominant grouping among the aspects of that you offer determines the spirit you summon, and maybe how powerful it is. Depending on how your circle is made, it might be weaker, stronger, or just better at containing certain spirits than others, so the spirit might break free of the circle. If it does, it will attack you. Otherwise, you can "commune" with the spirit, offering it things in exchange for research in the areas it specializes in, until you choose to banish it or it breaks free, but its mere presence creates flux of those aspects as long as it stays. Flux of a spirit's type could also give it an increased chance of breaking free of a circle, making it more dangerous the more you rely on it. Also, if candles are part of the circle, then they might burn down, needing to be periodically replaced to keep the circle active.
Check out my 5 Rules of Game Design!
Posted Image

moonra
    moonra

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 689 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:33 PM

Well, that would deviate from Thaumcraft A LOT, IMO. TC isn't about elemental gods and summoning and that stuff, TC is about energy that exists in all things and using it to achieve your objectives.

AnonTheMouse

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:39 PM

View Postmoonra, on 14 January 2013 - 12:33 PM, said:

TC isn't about elemental gods

Explain wisps.
Posted Image

Rossmallo

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:44 PM

View PostAnonTheMouse, on 14 January 2013 - 12:39 PM, said:

Explain wisps.

If Magical Energy is a body, Wisps are the tumors.
Resident Thaumaturge cake-dragon at your service o:

Posted Image

elemenster

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:52 PM

Explain wisps.
minor creatures formed from ambient magic to cleanse aspects from the air

as for your other points you seem to be ignoring the fluff in the thauminominominomicon for example in the reasearch table you poke and prod items examining them in a corsoury manor or pull them apart for a mor thorough examination of how they work(this may be form a fourm post actualy Im in the middle of updateing minecrafts and dont realy want to swap them out again at the moment

View PostRossmallo, on 14 January 2013 - 12:44 PM, said:

I think of them as more like a pearl or booger myself

also thaumcraft errored in these ones so here first one has thaumic bees in it second one dosent
Spoiler:

Mecheon
    Mecheon

Iron Miner

• Members
  • 274 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:54 PM

Explain wisps.
There's a difference between "Mysterious entities that shoot lightning and are based on a documented but unstudied phenomenon" (Ball lightning and bog fires, of course, which are... Well, ball lightning and bog gas?) and "High fantasy dryads"

Also if you're going to be summoning things, give me a coder and a few hours and I'll give you bloody GoeticDemonCraft so I can summon Sabnock and we can go around and spread disease to all my foes while he fills my castle with weapons

Actually, screw that. Dantalion because he is a demon with the faces of many people who knows the thoughts of all men. How would you program this into Minecraft aside from letting him teleport you around
The Emperor's Rage echoes through the hills. The Emperor's Strength grips this land with fists of iron. The Emperor's Courage burns everlasting. The Endless Army will crush the Emperor's foes.

AnonTheMouse

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:05 PM

Tumours which have a degree of awareness, however. They're clearly some sort of spiritual being, and some of the lore seems to indicate that spiritual entities are "a thing" in Thaumcraft. While it's only a suggestion, I don't really think my idea isn't all that much in keeping. Thaumcraft presents a ritual and formulaic system of magic, relying on preparation and infrastructure as opposed to outright spells. Anything more than that is just speculation. Currently, I'm speculating on the possibility of a more powerful class of spirits existing, that are a step up from Wisps, and associated with multiple aspects. I offer the idea of summoning and binding them to gain insight into the forces they are tied to, because a] it's fairly iconic, and b] it requires preparation, has established concepts of cost and risk, and isn't something you can just pack up and move. The names I offer to different spirits are purely speculative, mainly for the sake of being able to easily categorize, by associating aspects to recognizable concepts. They could be just as formless as wisps and be without names, just bigger and more powerful, for what that matters. Call them Eidolons, if that's more acceptable.

...in fact, that's probably a much better idea. Wisps are little balls of a single aspect. Eidolons are big balls of several. Works conceptually, as it is easily recognizable as "more powerful Wisp". Works linguistically, as "eidolon" means both "Spirit or apparition" and "An image of an ideal"...so its name would literally mean an embodiment of aspects. As a side benefit, this offers a solution to "dangerous" flux composed of several aspects, or to particularly high flux, as both could release more powerful Eidolons into the world in place of Wisps. So, rather than "summoning demons", try to imagine the idea as deliberately forcing a powerful variant of Wisp to form within a ward prepared to contain it, so that you can gain knowledge by studying it...as long as your containment measures don't fail. (Heck, even just a device that forces random Wisps/hypothetical super-wisps to spawn, so you can murder them, would make research less of a chore, and keep it from grinding the game to a halt.)
Posted Image

elemenster

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:37 PM

View PostAnonTheMouse, on 14 January 2013 - 01:05 PM, said:

Tumours which have a degree of awareness, however. They're clearly some sort of spiritual being, and some of the lore seems to indicate that spiritual entities are "a thing" in Thaumcraft. While it's only a suggestion, I don't really think my idea isn't all that much in keeping. Thaumcraft presents a ritual and formulaic system of magic, relying on preparation and infrastructure as opposed to outright spells. Anything more than that is just speculation. Currently, I'm speculating on the possibility of a more powerful class of spirits existing, that are a step up from Wisps, and associated with multiple aspects. I offer the idea of summoning and binding them to gain insight into the forces they are tied to, because a] it's fairly iconic, and b] it requires preparation, has established concepts of cost and risk, and isn't something you can just pack up and move. The names I offer to different spirits are purely speculative, mainly for the sake of being able to easily categorize, by associating aspects to recognizable concepts. They could be just as formless as wisps and be without names, just bigger and more powerful, for what that matters. Call them Eidolons, if that's more acceptable.

...in fact, that's probably a much better idea. Wisps are little balls of a single aspect. Eidolons are big balls of several. Works conceptually, as it is easily recognizable as "more powerful Wisp". Works linguistically, as "eidolon" means both "Spirit or apparition" and "An image of an ideal"...so its name would literally mean an embodiment of aspects. As a side benefit, this offers a solution to "dangerous" flux composed of several aspects, or to particularly high flux, as both could release more powerful Eidolons into the world in place of Wisps. So, rather than "summoning demons", try to imagine the idea as deliberately forcing a powerful variant of Wisp to form within a ward prepared to contain it, so that you can gain knowledge by studying it...as long as your containment measures don't fail. (Heck, even just a device that forces random Wisps/hypothetical super-wisps to spawn, so you can murder them, would make research less of a chore, and keep it from grinding the game to a halt.)
this actualy seems interesting didnt likeyour previous idea much because thaumcraft seems more like a mage determined to figure out magic for himself than a shaman depending on the aid of spirits shure you have less conections among the spirits of the area but you dont need to be careful to not stepp on anyones toes to keep casting your spells

but this really looks lke it would be neat captured super wisps that you study do get a deeper understanding of the aspect(glowy numbers in your reasearch table)

"They're aware yes, but sentient?" the mage chuckles "Not realy, I've been studying the forces of magic long enough to detrmine that. ...Are they trainable you say?" he pauses scratching his chin" ...I'm curios to try, who wouldent be after all? Just imagine those little buggers attacking someone else for once!" his eyes gain a... disturbing gleam at this sstatment" just, one problem. where to even begin training a wisp, binding one to an object is a simple task. I can do it blindfolded, its actualy easyer that way to be ohnest. training one however, thats another story entirely. Its just a semi aware blob of magic mixed with an aspect or two afterall, not quite the grand entitys one thinks of when one hears about a spirit."

TXMount
    TXMount

Iron Miner

• Members
  • 327 posts
  • Minecraft: TXmount

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:44 PM

I always thought of them like white blood cells.  You, the thaumaturge, are pumping nastiness into the local Aura (in the form of unused aspects) and eventually blobs of magic attack and surround the "germs."  Pearls might be a more apt analogy, though...  wisp forms around an irritant, and is colored by the impurities in the local environment.  

Regardless, I kind of like the idea of being able to trap the little beasties in a thaumic cage or something, and then magically vivisect them..
I am the Godzilla of relationships.  Once I've been there, there's nothing left but smoldering rubble and hysterical Japanese people.

natchu96
    natchu96

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1263 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:52 PM

View Postelemenster, on 14 January 2013 - 11:57 AM, said:

realy? I thought that dark nodes made both, could of sworn I read that somewhere

You were the one who said aura couldn't be made.
"Better Than Wolves: where the line between morality and immorality is a mile wide and has loops in some places." - Stormweaver
Posted Image

lucariomaster1

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:07 PM

So last night I was laying in my bed, and my mind began to wander, and I started to think about what would happen if Steve drank liquid Essentia. Here are some of the ideas I've come up with:

Spoiler:

So, what do you guys think? Got any ideas on the ones I was stumped on? Think of a better effect for drinking a type of Essentia?

Put it in your post!

EDIT: Put the list of effects in a spoiler.
I still like dragons. Haters gonna hate. Click it please! ----------------->Posted Image