Thaumcraft 3.0.5i (Outdated)

smp forge api 1.5.2

• Please log in to reply
14311 replies to this topic

AlternateLives
  • Minecraft: AlternateLives

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:34 PM

Wow...

I loved TC2, but TC3 was totally worth the wait. I can already say that the research system has greatly improved over the previous build. Another aspect I love is that items from other forge mods have researchable values. Imagine my surprise when I discovered that the Gravity Gun (Gravity Gun mod) and the quarry (Buildcraft) had another purpose!

I'm still in early game, so I can't wait to see what purposes the other items serve! It feels like science class (which I thoroughly enjoyed) all over again!

In short, my GPA is probably going to drop a point or two because of this. Well done!
Posted Image

Register or log in to remove.

haette
    haette

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 466 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:51 PM

View PostAsh1987, on 04 December 2012 - 10:34 PM, said:

Watch Direwolf's second video, he shows that chest. It's in there

That's similar, but not quite the same. Maybe at some point we'll be able to upgrade the hungry chest to a traveling trunk...

Carpenter

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:54 PM

I've found an aspect dupe:
With magic tallow, you can generate infinite magic aspect at the cost of 5 vis per aspect (vis regenerates right?)

EDIT: What i mean to say, is with a purifier you can keep pumping the magic tallow into your cauldron, and purify out the excess magic aspect

Isfael
    Isfael

Carpenter

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:54 PM

So, yesterday I found one of those thaumcraft dungeons with the "black hole" node in the middle of it. It's located near my house. Few minutes ago I wandered into it and was pwned by ~40 wisps in a second.  I've brought them some TNT and killed almost all of them, but they just keep spawning. This node is not the closest one to my thaum lab, but it's flux level is constantly on "high". How can I fix it? The only idea I have is to enclose the node in a warded stone shell and keep tnt'ing it periodically.
Spoiler:

Sorry for my broken english.

hboia
    hboia

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:02 PM

View Post99887, on 04 December 2012 - 10:54 PM, said:

I've found an aspect dupe:
With magic tallow, you can generate infinite magic aspect at the cost of 5 vis per aspect (vis regenerates right?)

Its not a dupe, itens created with magic have magic aspects =P

Posted Image

Sage Harpuia

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:03 PM

View PostIsfael, on 04 December 2012 - 10:54 PM, said:

So, yesterday I found one of those thaumcraft dungeons with the "black hole" node in the middle of it. It's located near my house. Few minutes ago I wandered into it and was pwned by ~40 wisps in a second.  I've brought them some TNT and killed almost all of them, but they just keep spawning. This node is not the closest one to my thaum lab, but it's flux level is constantly on "high". How can I fix it? The only idea I have is to enclose the node in a warded stone shell and keep tnt'ing it periodically.
Spoiler:

Sorry for my broken english.
Actually we don't have any information about the dark nodes, except that they pump forth "malignous energy". What this means, I don't know, but for sure they don't absorb flux better (silverwood node) or tend to generate it (chaos node).

View Posthboia, on 04 December 2012 - 11:02 PM, said:

Its not a dupe, itens created with magic have magic aspects =P

Yes, they do, but other items that gains aspect when manipulated (like tools) tend to lose one of their original, while tallow or thaumium don't do this, allowing duping at the cost of some vis. Aza can easly fix this giving tallow 3 corpus and thaumium 7 metallum.

Posted Image

TwoThe
    TwoThe

Iron Miner

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 254 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:11 PM

Played TC3 for the last few days and I sadly have to say I am pretty much disappointed. I really loved TC2, although there were some flaws, however TC3 doesn't really feel like good successor.

The research system in TC2 was... boring, but at least you could fill it up with cobble and let it do its job. In TC3 research feels even more tedious and (at least for me) no fun at all. The sheer amount of resources you need to gather just to research even the easiest stuff is insane. In addition while the essence idea allows for some targeting and you can usually figure out half of them by thinking, the rest is just plain try and error, which doesn't feel like it is any improvement over TC2. And at some point I got a little impatient and used TooManyItems to fast-forward the research just to learn that there isn't really much to actually research yet. Is this still WIP or is this supposed to be just 4 wands and some golems?

Now I have some golems running around - brilliant idea and excellent work on them btw - but feel like I just wasted 2 days researching for just these. The wands are nice but since you cannot recharge them, they cannot be used permanently, which was one of the strongest magician feeling in TC2. The enchanting is vanilla MC and doesn't really blend well with TC3. The tools/weapons can be enchanted with the standard pointless stuff (except for the hoe, which I guess is a bug), but don't work with the Anvil. So again you can spend an impressive amount of resources and 30 levels on a sword that will fall apart after 5 minutes of using it, if you happen to actually get a useful enchantment. And I do miss the seals - some of them - they gave my home the right magical touch and the golems aren't really making up for it.

The order of research feels logical but frustrating. I research Nitor and it doesn't seem to be usable at all. Either this has to be combined in some way I haven't figured out yet or it is not yet done. I would have put the wands first, as these imo let you feel like a Thaumaturge right away, then follow with the blocks (wood/stone) and allow the player then to upgrade those wands into self-recharging ones. Then you get at least something right at the beginning to tinker around with as a break from the tedious researching.

The change in Aura system is convenient but feels too much dumbed down to me. While taint wasn't really a threat if you knew what to do, it at least felt like one. The occasional wisp I get now just feels random and boring, and definitely not like a real magic environment at all. And the strange sparkling aura thing just feels out of place and doesn't seem to have a purpose as far as I can tell other than to sparkle. The cost for transmutation using the crucible feels way too expensive to be of any use, there should be an upgrade method like in TC2.

Documentation is well done, except that I still couldn't figure out how to actually fill those flasks with essences, and the book isn't helping on that. I as well don't feel like the arcane table had any real purpose.

I strongly hope that this was just a pre-release and the real version is still in progress, as TC3 is currently for me lacking too much to be a good successor for the incredible well done TC2.
My Mods

New Dawn: a completely new terrain engine for Minecraft!
TwoTility: blocks and items for a better Minecraft.

HattoriDelarosa

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:14 PM

View PostTwoThe, on 04 December 2012 - 11:11 PM, said:

Played TC3 for the last few days and I sadly have to say I am pretty much disappointed. I really loved TC2, although there were some flaws, however TC3 doesn't really feel like good successor.

The research system in TC2 was... boring, but at least you could fill it up with cobble and let it do its job. In TC3 research feels even more tedious and (at least for me) no fun at all. The sheer amount of resources you need to gather just to research even the easiest stuff is insane. In addition while the essence idea allows for some targeting and you can usually figure out half of them by thinking, the rest is just plain try and error, which doesn't feel like it is any improvement over TC2. And at some point I got a little impatient and used TooManyItems to fast-forward the research just to learn that there isn't really much to actually research yet. Is this still WIP or is this supposed to be just 4 wands and some golems?

Now I have some golems running around - brilliant idea and excellent work on them btw - but feel like I just wasted 2 days researching for just these. The wands are nice but since you cannot recharge them, they cannot be used permanently, which was one of the strongest magician feeling in TC2. The enchanting is vanilla MC and doesn't really blend well with TC3. The tools/weapons can be enchanted with the standard pointless stuff (except for the hoe, which I guess is a bug), but don't work with the Anvil. So again you can spend an impressive amount of resources and 30 levels on a sword that will fall apart after 5 minutes of using it, if you happen to actually get a useful enchantment. And I do miss the seals - some of them - they gave my home the right magical touch and the golems aren't really making up for it.

The order of research feels logical but frustrating. I research Nitor and it doesn't seem to be usable at all. Either this has to be combined in some way I haven't figured out yet or it is not yet done. I would have put the wands first, as these imo let you feel like a Thaumaturge right away, then follow with the blocks (wood/stone) and allow the player then to upgrade those wands into self-recharging ones. Then you get at least something right at the beginning to tinker around with as a break from the tedious researching.

The change in Aura system is convenient but feels too much dumbed down to me. While taint wasn't really a threat if you knew what to do, it at least felt like one. The occasional wisp I get now just feels random and boring, and definitely not like a real magic environment at all. And the strange sparkling aura thing just feels out of place and doesn't seem to have a purpose as far as I can tell other than to sparkle. The cost for transmutation using the crucible feels way too expensive to be of any use, there should be an upgrade method like in TC2.

Documentation is well done, except that I still couldn't figure out how to actually fill those flasks with essences, and the book isn't helping on that. I as well don't feel like the arcane table had any real purpose.

I strongly hope that this was just a pre-release and the real version is still in progress, as TC3 is currently for me lacking too much to be a good successor for the incredible well done TC2.

It is definitely WIP. Further, there's some research - quite a bit! - that's not initially visible in the book.

Steelflame
  • Minecraft: Steelflameblade

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:19 PM

View PostTwoThe, on 04 December 2012 - 11:11 PM, said:

The mod is only 25% done, he just released this Alpha because everyone was so impatient that he caved in for us.  And honestly, this alpha is better than most full blown mods, lol.

Warning : This user is prone to doing sporadic edits of recent comments to further expand upon old ideas. This is a very common thing especially right after posting.  Keep this in mind when talking to me over these forums.

I run a small magic focused private server.  If you are interested in joining us, click the banner below to find out more.

Posted Image

TwoThe
    TwoThe

Iron Miner

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 254 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:36 PM

View PostSteelflame, on 04 December 2012 - 11:19 PM, said:

The mod is only 25% done, he just released this Alpha because everyone was so impatient that he caved in for us.  And honestly, this alpha is better than most full blown mods, lol.
Maybe it should say that on the front page. If I hadn't played TC2 and knew how much of a genius the author is, I would have probably considered this mod to be half-baked and boring.

It is definitely WIP. Further, there's some research - quite a bit! - that's not initially visible in the book.
I have all research done, I compared it with the cheat-book you get in creative and there is nothing else that can be researched.
My Mods

New Dawn: a completely new terrain engine for Minecraft!
TwoTility: blocks and items for a better Minecraft.

Darkenhart

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:02 AM

View PostTwoThe, on 04 December 2012 - 11:36 PM, said:

Maybe it should say that on the front page. If I hadn't played TC2 and knew how much of a genius the author is, I would have probably considered this mod to be half-baked and boring.

I have all research done, I compared it with the cheat-book you get in creative and there is nothing else that can be researched.

Personally i prefer this version to TC2.. I hate mods that give stuff way to easily and make you work for it.. The elementsd idea is great.. easy to predict but great nonetheless.. Wands not being rechargable.. great.. i'll make a new one,

Who wants 1 wand to last them forever.. do you have 1 sword that lasts forever? No.. cause repeated use means it breaks down.

Personally i really like this mod and like how its going.. the only thing i would say is the plants it spawns in the wild seem to spawn in large amounts and maybe could be turned down a tad (I wanna work for my reward.. not spend five minutes in a desert and walk out loaded)

DrSabaitso
  • Minecraft: Avatoon

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:10 AM

View PostSage Harpuia, on 04 December 2012 - 11:03 PM, said:

Actually we don't have any information about the dark nodes, except that they pump forth "malignous energy". What this means, I don't know, but for sure they don't absorb flux better (silverwood node) or tend to generate it (chaos node).

I  just logged in to ask a question about this. I thought all nodes started with no flux but on my travels I just spotted one giving out a high flux reading that was miles away from my crucible. It had a black holey thing inside it also. I take it this was one of those dark nodes and can appear even without pumping aspects into atmosphere nearby?

Malicron
    Malicron

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:12 AM

It would be nice if you could repair the wands, though. Maybe with amber or quicksilver at the anvil.

Theshinesprite
  • Minecraft: Theshinesprites

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:21 AM

View PostAzure_Hawk, on 04 December 2012 - 09:23 PM, said:

Getting an issue I just cannot seem to fix. I have Forge 6.4.1.407 installed (Recommended), and it works fine before I put the zip in the Mods folder. When I do, instead of starting up, it shows the Mojang logo, then goes to a screen that says "Forge Mod Loader has found a problem with your minecraft installation. The mods and versions below could not be found: Forge: [6.4.1.407,) The file 'ForgeModLoader-client-0.log' contains more information. I'm running Minecraft 1.4.5 and I have checked and confirmed that this is the correct version of Forge. This is a totally clean .jar and mods folder, nothing else anywhere. Help?

6.4.1.407 is NOT the Recommended build. It's the latest build.

iforippon

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:22 AM

Is there any way for us to give aspects to mod items yet?

There are some things in Twilight Forest that are absolute driving my OCD insane, the bugs and the wood etc.

View PostTwoThe, on 04 December 2012 - 11:36 PM, said:

Half baked? No. Just half finished.

The amount of polish and attention to detail in this mod is frankly astounding, half baked it most certainly is not. Example: Wand of Excavation, that thing made me giggle with glee... other mods add digging tools sure, but none of them look and feel quite like that do they?

Hell, the golems are worth a whole mod in themselves.

Have patience.

Steelflame
  • Minecraft: Steelflameblade

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:28 AM

Sigh.... Yet another world where my Aura has left me....  This is making it obscenely hard to fully complete the mod in its current form when the Vis just leaves the world.  I hope it is a priority to fix this, as it is wrecking some of our experiences with playing the mod.  I had nearly finished my castle too....

Warning : This user is prone to doing sporadic edits of recent comments to further expand upon old ideas. This is a very common thing especially right after posting.  Keep this in mind when talking to me over these forums.

I run a small magic focused private server.  If you are interested in joining us, click the banner below to find out more.

Posted Image

elijahpederson
  • Minecraft: elijahpederson

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:32 AM

View PostSteelflame, on 05 December 2012 - 12:28 AM, said:

Sigh.... Yet another world where my Aura has left me....  This is making it obscenely hard to fully complete the mod in its current form when the Vis just leaves the world.  I hope it is a priority to fix this, as it is wrecking some of our experiences with playing the mod.  I had nearly finished my castle too....
Wha? The aura can leave?? If it can, I agree.

Today's weather report includes black holes, mixed with light meteor showers

Posted Image

BlockyUniverse

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:33 AM

Azanor, do you have steam? I would love to talk. i dont do coding (at the moment), but i have many ideas for this mod and i would like to see if you like them. :)

Hungrybryce
  • Minecraft: hungrybryce

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:39 AM

View PostSage Harpuia, on 04 December 2012 - 04:37 PM, said:

When you'll find them and have your goggles on, you'll see. Mind that two of them spawn in precise area. What they do, it's simple and it's written in the thuminomicon.
where is this persise aria how will i know and what dose malign energy mean
tecnik pack no baner sory

twinsonian

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:46 AM

Hmm, just tried a test and researched a couple different things. Disconnected myself from our server, reconnected -- and research has been reset. Happens every time disconnect and reconnect. Using version f. Anyone else having this issue?