Latest News Article

Windows 8, OpenGL and Minecraft

windows windows 8 opengl error

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

MadDirtMonkey
  • Minecraft: MadDirtMonkey

Posted 01 December 2012 - 01:54 PM

Hey guys, I'm new to the forums but not new to Minecraft, so go easy on me as this is my first post. I recently installed Windows 8 on a laptop and got the all to common 'Bad Video card drivers!' error. I have Googled for days and cannot fix it, so i need your help.

Here is the full Minecraft error report:
Spoiler:

And here is my DxDiag report:
Spoiler:

Thanks,
MDM

Register or log in to remove.

DewaldDeJager

Posted 01 December 2012 - 07:04 PM

Hi,

Ironically I wrote this article just now. You'd want to try all three the solutions and this is the driver you would want to use for solution three. Let me know if you need any further assistance. Oh, and what do you think of my Minecraft Windows 8 logo? Posted Image

Posted Image
A double resolution texture pack that stays faithful to the original Minecraft textures.

MadDirtMonkey
  • Minecraft: MadDirtMonkey

Posted 01 December 2012 - 08:19 PM

Yep, that fixed it. Thank you loads :)
SB

DewaldDeJager

Posted 01 December 2012 - 08:30 PM

Only a pleasure! :)

Posted Image
A double resolution texture pack that stays faithful to the original Minecraft textures.

Vortex3260

Posted 07 December 2012 - 01:40 AM

Minecraft error report

Spoiler:

DxDiag Report
Spoiler:

Rhenaya
    Rhenaya

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • Minecraft: Rhenaya

Posted 07 December 2012 - 03:28 AM

View PostDewaldDeJager, on 01 December 2012 - 07:04 PM, said:

Hi,

Ironically I wrote this article just now. You'd want to try all three the solutions and this is the driver you would want to use for solution three. Let me know if you need any further assistance. Oh, and what do you think of my Minecraft Windows 8 logo? Posted Image

hey i am looking for 2 days now to find a fix for this, i have an amd radeon hd 5000 mobility and the only driver i get is an exe file so i cant edit any inf file, and using this exe changes nothing the driver will stay the same :/

DewaldDeJager

Posted 07 December 2012 - 12:20 PM

View PostVortex3260, on 07 December 2012 - 01:40 AM, said:

Minecraft error report

Spoiler:

DxDiag Report
Spoiler:

Here is the driver you would need (It should work fine without configuring the inf), though be sure to try all the solutions in the order that they are listed in the article.

View PostRhenaya, on 07 December 2012 - 03:28 AM, said:

hey i am looking for 2 days now to find a fix for this, i have an amd radeon hd 5000 mobility and the only driver i get is an exe file so i cant edit any inf file, and using this exe changes nothing the driver will stay the same :/

Like I say in the article, the third solution would probably only work with Intel drivers. It looks like this driver should fix it for you. I will add the AMD Catalyst driver solution to the article soon.

Posted Image

Rhenaya
    Rhenaya

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:52 PM

thats one of the several exe i meant and changes nothing. i tried 12.6 - 12.11 any

the driver shown in device manager always stays some "radeon hd 5000 (microsoft wddm 1.20)" thing :( which in one youtube vid said is the wrong one to pick (also wrong is the ms basic driver, but i only got this two shown up, and the idea of that video was to pick another of that list)

basicly if i try anything in device manager it just says "your driver is most recent, stfu already"

Rhenaya
    Rhenaya

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:17 AM

so i tried like everything by now: any driver aviable from amd or toshiba site i could find

at best: they didnt do anything and things stayed the same
at worst: windows made an popup if i really want to use this driver (which didnt occur on the ones that didnt change anything) which lead to a bluescreen and several restarts and an hour of restorepoint recovery (and one time not even that had to reset the system to "clean" install)
sometimes: it did say it did not find the driver this amd catalyst suite is for (but i do have a amd mobility radeon 5000 hd, what else should i have?! even the windows wddm 1.20 generic says that)

so i am out of ideas what to do :(

lightbulbwindows1000
  • Minecraft: BlueAmbulance
  • Xbox:Never heard of it
  • PSN:PS...2?

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:24 AM

Forgot that you shouldn't buy a new operating system when it first comes out? Yeah, you shouldn't get a new operating system when it comes out "sparkling and new". There's errors that they forget to fix and have to fix it in the future. So go back to Windows 7 for a year or so, then go with Windows 8.
Posted Image

Rhenaya
    Rhenaya

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:08 AM

problem is someone decided to jump on the win 8 app train and i need it to do some work now, and to learn stuff etc. reverting back to win 7 pretty much means no more money and i cant afford a second pc atm (debt because of house, so ­ed either way) and the drives are to small for a second OS :/

but seeing so many got this issue fixed i just hoped!

DewaldDeJager

Posted 09 December 2012 - 11:27 AM

Try this (64-bit). And instead f 12.9 Beta Catalyst, try 12.6.

Posted Image

Rhenaya
    Rhenaya

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:49 PM

So there seem to be that Toshiba used some altered driver: downloaded that one for my model from their page

as most it didnt work, tried it again in advanced mode instead of express and told me "found ms visual c++ 2010 redistributable no need to install", so uninstalled that, run again said it didnt found the hardware i am looking for (hell its the driver package for the exactl model i have!) remembered it also said win 7 so i started with compability mode on that and suddelny worked! sure i had a bluescreen midinstall, but after restart the driver was installed and minecraft works again :D

also i think that catalyst didnt install in most cases because of the c++ thingie, dunno how stupid it is to stop installing a driver because some 2 year old package that isnt directly connected to the driver (as in could be just ignored if its already here!)

KenJ1989
  • Minecraft: KenJ1989
  • Xbox:InfernoGuy3

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:37 PM

I've just updated my laptop to Win8 64bit and am having a hard time updating my video driver.. I've downloaded the driver posted above but it didn't help any.. I've also searched google but nothing... It's a Toshiba C655 S5068 with Mobile Intel (4) Series Express Chipset.

"I'm a Barbie Girl!"

mpcool00
    mpcool00

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • Minecraft: mpcool00

Posted 24 July 2013 - 12:03 PM

Hey, I have been having the same problem as the MadDirtMonkey, but it seems the article is not there anymore. Any idea what happened to it?

SpawnDaJoker

Posted 11 August 2013 - 01:58 AM

View PostKenJ1989, on 10 January 2013 - 06:37 PM, said:

I've just updated my laptop to Win8 64bit and am having a hard time updating my video driver.. I've downloaded the driver posted above but it didn't help any.. I've also searched google but nothing... It's a Toshiba C655 S5068 with Mobile Intel (4) Series Express Chipset.

I too have this drive, and I've been searching for a grand deal of time now for one. I still haven't found anything.

KenJ1989
  • Minecraft: KenJ1989
  • Xbox:InfernoGuy3

Posted 11 August 2013 - 08:26 AM

View PostSpawnDaJoker, on 11 August 2013 - 01:58 AM, said:

I too have this drive, and I've been searching for a grand deal of time now for one. I still haven't found anything.

Not sure if there's a driver update that'll work with MC on W8. I suggest making a duel boot with W8 and W7. Google it if ya need to.

"I'm a Barbie Girl!"