Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

How do YOU count layers

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

Brian2one0
  • Minecraft: Brian2one0

Posted 08 February 2011 - 04:42 AM

Well, there has been a public debate on my server and people have been saying this -

"Count bedrock as 0 and count up"

"No, press F3 and it clearly says that Bedrock is 6. You're not counting right."

I just wanted to ask you guys what you think is the correct way

Register or log in to remove.

leslie1984

Posted 08 February 2011 - 04:43 AM

i tend to mine at bedrock level i always have better luck there but when i do mine on specific levels i use F3
Posted Image

jefe
    jefe

Creamymin

• Forum Admin
  • 16139 posts
  • Minecraft: jefe323

Posted 08 February 2011 - 04:52 AM

i press F3 and look at the y value

Majh
    Majh

Diamond Miner

• Members
  • 877 posts
  • Minecraft: Majh
  • Xbox:Majh

Posted 08 February 2011 - 04:54 AM

jefe323 said:

i press F3 and look at the y value

This is what everyone on my server does.
Posted Image

Abdiel
    Abdiel

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 688 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 04:58 AM

F3 will tell you the Y coordinate of your eyes, which is approximately 1.62 units above the block you are standing on. Layer 0 is filled with bedrock (except for where it isn't), and bedrock appears up to layer 4. So if you are standing on the highest bedrock block, your body occupies layers 5 and 6, and your eye level is at Y = 6.62.

A picture if it helps:

:DORE:  []  []  :Notch: []  6
:stone:  []  []  :Indigo:  [] 5
  :D   []  []  :Diamond:  [] 4
:stone:  :stone: :Sheep:  ^_^  [] 3
:stone:  :opblock:  []  :opblock:  :stone:  2
:opblock:  :opblock:   []  :opblock:  []  1
:opblock:  :opblock:  :opblock:  :opblock:  :opblock:  0

The same thing happens in the floor of the Nether. The Nether ceiling looks the same but reversed: bedrock fills layer 127 and occurs down to and including layer 123.

Bedrock is generated uniformly at random with a chance of (5 - layer) / 5, so 100% at layer 0, 80% at layer 1, ... 20% at layer 4. Similarly in the ceiling of the Nether.

Mr. B
    Mr. B

Iron Miner

• Members
  • 268 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 05:05 AM

Abdiel said:

F3 will tell you the Y coordinate of your eyes, which is approximately 1.62 units above the block you are standing on. Layer 0 is filled with bedrock (except for where it isn't), and bedrock appears up to layer 4. So if you are standing on the highest bedrock block, your body occupies layers 5 and 6, and your eye level is at Y = 5.62.

Fixed.

Abdiel
    Abdiel

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 688 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 05:11 AM

Mr. B said:

Abdiel said:

F3 will tell you the Y coordinate of your eyes, which is approximately 1.62 units above the block you are standing on. Layer 0 is filled with bedrock (except for where it isn't), and bedrock appears up to layer 4. So if you are standing on the highest bedrock block, your body occupies layers 5 and 6, and your eye level is at Y = 5.62.

Fixed.

Negative. A block being "in layer 1" occupies the space of 1.00 up to 2.00. See my schematic above: your head is in "layer 6", so it is somewhere in between 6.00 and 7.00.

The bottom of the world is 0.00, the top of the world is 128.00, so the highest a block can be placed is layer 127 and it will occupy the space between 127.00 and 128.00.

Mr. B
    Mr. B

Iron Miner

• Members
  • 268 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 05:15 AM

Abdiel said:

Negative. A block being "in layer 1" occupies the space of 1.00 up to 2.00. See my schematic above: your head is in "layer 6", so it is somewhere in between 6.00 and 7.00.

The bottom of the world is 0.00, the top of the world is 128.00, so the highest a block can be placed is layer 127 and it will occupy the space between 127.00 and 128.00.
You're quite correct; my mistake.

Antice
    Antice

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 05:26 AM

I always thought that the top bedrock pieces were layer 5 after notch fixed the hole to nothingness bug. so i always counted minecraftdude to be 1,62 meters tall. (this fits the visual observation that minecraftdude is shorter than 2 blocks.)
not 2,62. that would have blocked him from entering a 2 meter tall tunnel.

Since F3 show you to be at layer 6.62 it's easy to think of him as standing on top of layer 5. I think the numbering of a full layer only occurs in the line between layers.
So layer 0 is actually not a layer at all. it's just the bottom of layer 1.

My evidence for this: look at you x and z coordinates when looking straight down. notice how you pass through a round number position wise only when you look straight down on a line intersection between blocks. I tried to mark position 0,0 once and found that i needed 4 blocks to do this since there is no 0,0 block. only a 0,0 block intersection.

drawing for clarity:
[]   :Notch:   and block 7. but minecraftdude is not 2 meters tall. so it shows the layer below + 62. that is 6.62
[]  :|:    <- this one is therefore block 6
:Teal:  :SSSS:  :opblock: <- Y= 4 to 5
:opblock:  :opblock:  :opblock: <- Y= 3 to 4
:opblock:  :opblock:  :opblock: <- this one is between the y= 2 and y= 3
:opblock:  :opblock:  :opblock:  <- this block is between Y= 1 and y= 2
:opblock:  :opblock:  :opblock:  < this block is y:0 on the bottom and y=1 on it's top intersection plane.
[]  []
[]  []

doh: Ninjaed
my LP:Mr Antice's adventures in minecraft
More goodies to come here later :D

Sheith
    Sheith

Void Walker

• Members
  • 1583 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 07:28 AM

[*:2ptr0xs1]Press F3.
    [*:2ptr0xs1]Subtract 1 and remainder.
    [*:2ptr0xs1]???
    [*:2ptr0xs1]You now have the current layer!

Koaku's Clocktown Project
Posted Image
Posted Image

ShadowDusk said:

all hail the tail

theicychamelion said:

Lockfail, second attempt

Prestonium

Posted 08 February 2011 - 07:30 AM

I dig down to the bottom level of bedrock and count the one underneath me as 1 and count up.
"I don't care where Leonardo DaVinci got his materials, the Mona Lisa is still a legendary piece of art."

Havixus
    Havixus

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 581 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 07:30 AM

If I'm too lazy and don't want to press F3, I dig down to bedrock and the FIRST bedrock block that I see is layer number 5 considering there are 5 layers of bedrock until the next block would be the end of the world. Then I climb up one and that one will be 6... etc...

LegalBreaker

Posted 08 February 2011 - 04:29 PM

Havixus said:

If I'm too lazy and don't want to press F3, I dig down to bedrock and the FIRST bedrock block that I see is layer number 5 considering there are 5 layers of bedrock until the next block would be the end of the world. Then I climb up one and that one will be 6... etc...

And that's easier than pressing one button?

Najus
    Najus

Coal Miner

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 05:24 PM

I use Zan's minimap mod, turn "display coordinates" on, and read it from there...

[EDIT] Alternatively, F3...
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Fenrs said:

The Consumer of planets has returned! All are doomed! Hide your chunks or let them be eaten by his invisible, gaping maw!

arentol
    arentol

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 08:53 PM

I just use GPS...

http://minecraftgps.codeplex.com/

Which tells me the current layer my head is at.

logic_earth

Posted 08 February 2011 - 09:02 PM

Using a test map whic is 100% flat with a single layer of bedrock at the absolute bottom. Standing on top of this layer while pressing F3 has a y cord of 2.62. So in plain English it means: The floor is layer 1, the body occupies layer 2 and 3, with a roof at layer 4.
:( 4
:VV: 3
:VV: 2
:DORE: 1

Sheith
    Sheith

Void Walker

• Members
  • 1583 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 09:43 PM

Your name, logical understanding of the layers in Minecraft, and post count fit together perfectly. Well done, my friend.
Koaku's Clocktown Project
Posted Image
Posted Image

ShadowDusk said:

all hail the tail

theicychamelion said:

Lockfail, second attempt

Redmoonblade

Posted 08 February 2011 - 10:27 PM

People count from bedrock up because it's hard to measure from the sky.
I am a creator. This makes me infinitely greater and more useful than any war lover.

Adversity

Posted 09 February 2011 - 01:02 AM

Abdiel said:

debatable.

i call "layer 0", "layer 1" instead.  this simplifies the use of the F3 function(you dont have to subtract 1 AND drop the remainder like an above poster mentioned, you simply drop the remainder).  how can you have a "layer 0" anyway??  its actually "layer >0", the block merely begins at the y-coordinate 0.00.

while neither method is technically wrong, youre saying that the world is generated from layers 0-127.  id say its from layers 1-128, which makes more sense, generally speaking.

Swingerzetta said:

This forum has made me decide that I now want kids, so that when they get old enough, I can forbid them from coming here. it's a terrible place.
The BEST way to mine diamond, layer 12 and you.

jkeller4000

Posted 09 February 2011 - 01:18 AM

the layer i am on is the one myt head is at truncated,  so if i press f3 and it come y=12.6  i say i am on layer 12! it is close enough, i do not need to be too accurate someone digging down to kill me will find me no matter if i am actully on the 11 layer,
Posted Image