96 replies to this topic

3C0T3CH
    3C0T3CH

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 582 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 04:04 AM

Also at an certain point its all ocean soooooooo yeah

It would be nice if that were the case (for aesthetics, or something), but as far as I know, that isn't the case.
Posted Image

Register or log in to remove.

Side_salad
  • Minecraft: side_salad

Posted 01 December 2012 - 04:31 AM

30,000,000 blocks in each direction; ((30,000,000 x 2)^2) x 0.000621371 = 1389649284 mi^2, or roughly 7 times the surface area of the earth.
http://www.wolframal...1389649284 mi^2

This is fact. This isn't from ancient wiki articles that people heard of from a guy whose brother read it back in '09. I actually tested this in game. It took pretty much all of my RAM.

Edit:

View Postnivram, on 30 November 2012 - 11:29 PM, said:

Actually, it is comparable to the planet Uranus. This according to NASA.

Marv

Actually, it's less than half the surface area of Uranus.
Brontolone slaaps yoh snoores.

IronMagus

Posted 01 December 2012 - 04:55 AM

I like how everyone says "well the world is infinte, but you can't go out past 30,000 kilometers."  If you can't go past 30,000 kilometers out, and the world only generates for a few hundred meters at most past your position, then the world can't be any more than 30,000 kilometers plus a few hundred meters out, now can it?
Village Mechanics: A not-so-brief guide - Update for 1.4! Added subsection on iron farming to the iron golems section. Only ten villagers required to spawn golems (down from sixteen)! Put to rest the "facing doors cancel each other" myth!

View PostTechdolphin, on 30 September 2013 - 08:33 PM, said:

If you say plz because it is shorter than please, I will say no because it is shorter than yes.

Raynbow
    Raynbow

Farlander

• Members
  • 15860 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 05:20 AM

It isn't infinite.

But there would never, ever be a reason to need a world that big

BiggJohnn

Posted 01 December 2012 - 05:42 AM

Do you really need it almost a billion blocks from spawn. If you built two towns 3k blocks from each other, and connected it with a railroad, it would take forever to complete. You dont need more that 5k usually for a world.

It doesn't take that long and my longest road with rails is about 8000 blocks and getting longer.  I have over 16000 blocks of roads,

Scum
    Scum

Diamond Miner

• Members
  • 889 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 05:48 AM

View PostBumpyBob0007, on 30 November 2012 - 11:29 PM, said:

It is not infinite worlds, but it takes 30 million blocks to reach the end, approx. 80 hours walking time. Also, if you were to generate every sort of possible block, the hard drive needed would be 40TB.
You don't need it to be that large, and it isnt cheap.

Bit off there buddy, it would take 820 hours of walking.
XP Guide
Regardless of what change you do, no matter how small, someone will complain. - Jens Bergensten
If you want me to see your reply, make sure to quote my post in your reply.

BC_Programming
  • Minecraft: BC_Programming

Posted 01 December 2012 - 06:44 AM

View PostMasterfireheart, on 30 November 2012 - 11:24 PM, said:

im starting to think that the infinite minecraft world thing may go a little far on the truth.........
Limitation is in the tp command. Go ahead and issue the command normally to get the error message.

You can use /tp <player> 12345678 200 12345678, and then use relative teleportation (/tp <player> ~12345678 ~0 ~12345678) to keep going. I think it tops out after the first repeat, however. Error message seems a bit bugged since it seems to contain the format string.

Technically, it's not infinite.

Practically, it is. Unless you are making modifications to the game or using various map editors or map tools, in which case you should be aware that the practical infinity of the world is not technically accurate.

is mojang cheeping me? Because i want infinite worlds where i can do and go wherever i want whenever i  want and this is just cheep. Anyone else have simalar problems?
No. I mostly play Vanilla Survival though, so I'll never encounter those sorts of issues since I cannot use commands as I have it now.

What you are neglecting however is that if you did teleport to X:123456789 Z:987654321, what did you expect to find? And you surely are aware just how much area that would skip over, for no good reason? If you want to be able to teleport to arbitrary locations, well, that's fine. But don't make excuses for using those arbitrary numbers that aren't rooted in reality. Being able to put in arbitrarily high numbers has nothing to do with infinite worlds because the "infinite worlds" thing is more a practical limitation.

hey i was in creative and was trying to have fun with exploring lands and such but idk...
I'm not really sure how having arbitrarily large values on one or both axes makes things fun.

The world is infinite, but when you get to X:32000 Z:32000 (I think) the world generates a bit differently in caves and no trees. Also you go through all blocks.
False.
Posted Image

The limitation is purely from the /tp command. However, when I multiplied my position by 10 in level.dat I got disconnected by the server "Illegal position". Triggers at 32,000,000 meters. That's around the area that floating point errors become pronounced enough to notice, too.

HidanDash
  • Minecraft: HidanDash

Posted 01 December 2012 - 06:58 AM

View PostPartyPoison98, on 01 December 2012 - 02:27 AM, said:

What everyone is trying to say is:
1. No one would ever need a world to be THAT big, unless it was a server with lots of peoples house and towns
2. That distance could crash your MC and it would probably break that world

I think you mean unless every single person playing minecraft had a house on that server.

Anyways seriously, do you really need a world that will reach that far out? The 32,000,000 'limit' is already insanely high, which almost no one can reach by conventional means. You could play for a month straight, without any breaks of any kind (including bathroom, sleeping, and eating), and still not reach the end of the world just because of how massive the gap from the spawn point to the 'edge' is. While it definitely is not the 'infinite' like it is advertised to be, it essentially is one-hundred times more space then we'll every dream about using in Minecraft.

Masterfireheart
  • Minecraft: masterfireheart
  • Xbox:Masterfireheart

Posted 01 December 2012 - 12:22 PM

@Acro, you play classic......

you dont even know what im doing with that map!?!
Posted Image
Posted Image

RunnerX
    RunnerX

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 979 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 01:24 PM

Technically MC worlds are infinite, but if you go far enough then you reach the farlands.
The farlands are basically just terrains stuffed together in a humongous mess of land, and they screw up maps.
Also they cause huge lag because of mobs spawning and rapidly despwning because of they weird lighting and infinitely falling blocks.
Prepare yourselves to suffer my judgement.
-The Batter

cocokat
    cocokat

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1106 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 02:32 PM

View Post3C0T3CH, on 01 December 2012 - 03:46 AM, said:

So Minecraft is circular, like a Frisbee?

I guess so.
Posted Image

Clowny
    Clowny

Coal Miner

• Members
  • 134 posts
  • Minecraft: Diddlysquat

Posted 01 December 2012 - 02:39 PM

View PostFlameofice, on 30 November 2012 - 11:27 PM, said:

The worlds are technically infinite, but eventually the save file will get too large. Supposedly, the maps are 8 times the size of the earth.
Fascinating
Posted Image

xZooBLeZ
    xZooBLeZ

Diamond Miner

• Members
  • 782 posts
  • Minecraft: xZooBLeZ

Posted 01 December 2012 - 02:41 PM

Minecraft was infinite, when you reached the end, you had discovered the Far Lands. But notch patched those, so now the minecraft worlds are Infinite, as bigger than any computer can handle (if you explore it all which would take 30 years probably).

View PostRunnerX, on 01 December 2012 - 01:24 PM, said:

Technically MC worlds are infinite, but if you go far enough then you reach the farlands.
The farlands are basically just terrains stuffed together in a humongous mess of land, and they screw up maps.
Also they cause huge lag because of mobs spawning and rapidly despwning because of they weird lighting and infinitely falling blocks.
Notch patched those, read my post.
"There is a world we cannot see, a world where all our imagination, dreams and fantasies lay true with no limitations and endless freedom. It is there as we speak, and it will always be there. Our world will never be able to connect to the other, but we will know that it is there, beyond this world. Those who you have lost in this world is there, and you will meet them when you are no longer part of our current world."
- ???

Rory
    Rory

Void Miner

• Members
  • 1510 posts
  • Minecraft: rorybg
  • Xbox:rorybg

Posted 01 December 2012 - 02:43 PM

Here it shows how big minecraft is

http://htwins.net/scale2/

Out of the almost 3'000'000 people on MCF I alone have the username "Rory", neat huh?

PartyPoison98
  • Minecraft: PartyPoison98

Posted 01 December 2012 - 05:13 PM

View PostHidanDash, on 01 December 2012 - 06:58 AM, said:

I think you mean unless every single person playing minecraft had a house on that server.

Anyways seriously, do you really need a world that will reach that far out? The 32,000,000 'limit' is already insanely high, which almost no one can reach by conventional means. You could play for a month straight, without any breaks of any kind (including bathroom, sleeping, and eating), and still not reach the end of the world just because of how massive the gap from the spawn point to the 'edge' is. While it definitely is not the 'infinite' like it is advertised to be, it essentially is one-hundred times more space then we'll every dream about using in Minecraft.

I meant the bigger than 1000x1000 Map, no one would need the FULL map

Posted Image

Narutofun13

Posted 01 December 2012 - 05:19 PM

technicly, There IS and ISNT an end...

There is an end, and it looks like a wall of grass, stone, gravel, etc. It's MEGA laggy, and sand or gravel doesnt even obey gravity.

There isnt an end because You can get past the wall, but it's almost impossible, with the amount of lag.

Hope this helped
Posted Image    The Shadows....

marsbar2O
  • Minecraft: marsbar20

Posted 01 December 2012 - 05:21 PM

View PostBumpyBob0007, on 30 November 2012 - 11:48 PM, said:

This is getting off topic.

You dont need that big of a space. 5k times 5k is plenty.
Here think of it in differnet terms:
5k=5 kilometers by 5 kilometers
Area: 25 kilometers
A average house in a survival world has an area of 25 meters
A two year old famous server has an area of 40 kilometers
You dont need that large of a world.

I sailed in a stright line for something like 5 hours on a 2 week old SMP server and got 42km from spawn

MCGods
    MCGods

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 410 posts
  • Minecraft: mima19

Posted 01 December 2012 - 05:36 PM

Nope make a new world and tp your self to x 80 (for safty) 29999999 (I think) and walk around...see what happens

I REPEAT MAKE A BACKUP OR NEW WORLD
MCGods' Plugins: FAQ Assistant, Infraction Points!

Dweller_Benthos
  • Minecraft: Dweller_Benthos

Posted 02 December 2012 - 02:27 PM

View Post3C0T3CH, on 01 December 2012 - 03:46 AM, said:

So Minecraft is circular, like a Frisbee?

View Postcocokat, on 01 December 2012 - 02:32 PM, said:

I guess so.

No, it's a square 32 million (?) blocks on each side.

View Postrorybg, on 01 December 2012 - 02:43 PM, said:

Here it shows how big minecraft is

http://htwins.net/scale2/

Yeah, that's cool, isn't it? I posted a link on the second page too. From that visual comparison, a Minecraft world has a length along one edge that's about the same as the diameter of Neptune and/or Uranus. Give or take. So, the surface area of those planets is larger than a practical Minecraft world, I suppose.
D_B
To tell them how to live is to prevent them living.

Masterfireheart
  • Minecraft: masterfireheart
  • Xbox:Masterfireheart

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:49 AM

THAT IS NOT HOW MINECRAFT IS BIG, IT IS JUST A SCALE OF THE UNIVERSE NOT THE MINECRAFT UNIVERSE!?!
Posted Image
Posted Image