Installing Forge

Installing via MultiMC

Part 2: Installing the Mod

Installing Forge/Modloader Mods

Installing Mods via MultiMC

Common Errors

-----

What is this guide about?
Modifying your Minecraft client to install various mods can be quite intimidating to beginners, but at the end of the day it is much worth it if you have already exhausted your interests in Vanilla Minecraft. If you would like to tackle the world of modding, then read on.

If you're wanting to mod on the new 1.6 dev launcher, there is a guide here. I will not be covering how to do so in the new launcher till it is released officially.

Before we start, please remember to backup your minecraft saves!

Part 1

Installing Your Mod API of Choice

What are Mod APIs?
Mod APIs basically make your mods work, you have to install these first before you can install mods. They essentially provide "hooks" to mod authors so that they may implement so many wonderous things possible in mods today. Please note, that you can only install one, or the other. Installing them together will result in errors.

Oh, is that so? Which one should I choose then?
That very much depends on what mod you are trying to install. But in most cases, you would want to install Forge over ModLoader. Some mods are compatible with both, some are not. So please refer to the instructions the mod authors has provided to determine which one you need, or which one is better suited for compatibility.

-----

Figured out which one you would one to install? Great! But before anything, the most important thing is that you must find your .minecraft folder. The location varies according to Operating System.

Locations of .minecraft said:

Windows 7/8: C:\Users\Your Username\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft
Windows Vista/XP: C:\Documents and Settings\*your username*\Application Data\.minecraft
Linux: /home/Your Username/.minecraft
Mac OS/X: ~/Library/Application Support/minecraft

-----

Installing Modloader Manually
What you'll need, download and save them somewhere. If you had chosen to install ModLoader, do not install Forge. If you do not wish to install Modloader, skip to the Forge installation. [Windows]
Spoiler:

[Mac/Linux]
Spoiler:

-----

Installing Forge Manually
If you have already installed Modloader, skip this. If you have chosen to install Forge, read on. What you'll need, download and save them somewhere. [Windows]
Spoiler:

[Mac/Linux]
Spoiler:

-----

Installing The Mod APIs via MultiMC:
ZeroLevels and I have compiled a guide on how to install either one of the APIs using MultiMC.

Spoiler:

Part 2

Installing Mods

How do I install mods?
Mods are obtained from various sources, such as these very forums, the mod authors' personal site, or the MCF modlist. To install mods, you must have a general understanding on how they work.
  • Mods can be divided into 3 categories, jar mods, core mods, and standard mods.
  • Jar mods are mods that are installed into the minecraft.jar, and this usually edits the base classes.
  • Core mods are mods that allow some other mods to work, an example being CodeChickenCore, which is needed for Not Enough Items, these go in the coremods folder.
  • Unless otherwise stated, core mods and mods both go in to the mods folder.
  • For mods that modify base classes, such as Optifine, install it after installing Modloader/Forge, and be sure to check if it is compatible.
  • In general, ModLoader mods should work fine with Forge if it doesn't edit same classes as Forge.
  • Keep in mind ModLoader mods will not work for multiplayer if installed for Forge, and are most often strictly single player only.
Manual Mod Install
Spoiler:

-----

Installing Mods via MultiMC
Spoiler:

Common Errors

No Class Def Found (Minecraft Forge)
Spoiler:

Getting crashes? Visit nerd-boy's guide on how to semi-interpret them.
http://www.minecraft...sh-reports-101/

Posted Image

Register or log in to remove.

OREOGAM3R
  • Minecraft: OREOGAM3R

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:14 PM

What if the mod is just a folder almost identical to the fml folder?

Chocolate Minecraft Mod!
Add so many new things to your Minecraft experience!

cestislife
    cestislife

Resident Fuzzball

• Sectional Moderator
  • 6582 posts
  • Minecraft: LORDVENOM0001

Posted 02 December 2012 - 05:43 AM

View PostOREOGAM3R, on 01 December 2012 - 10:14 PM, said:

What if the mod is just a folder almost identical to the fml folder?

I'm sorry? I don't get what you mean, most mods come packaged with either a zip or jar file. I've never encountered one that is just of a folder. Just a note, you do not unzip the mod.

Though ill be interested to see an example of such mod, if it exists.

Posted Image

Danreaper

Posted 26 December 2012 - 09:06 AM

It worked all updates before 1.4.6 but now it wont work!
i need help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cestislife
    cestislife

Resident Fuzzball

• Sectional Moderator
  • 6582 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:01 AM

View PostDanreaper, on 26 December 2012 - 09:06 AM, said:

It worked all updates before 1.4.6 but now it wont work!
i need help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You'll need to be a little bit more specific, what exactly doesn't work?

Posted Image

nuwemux
    nuwemux

Newly Spawned

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:54 PM

I keep getting the black screen after it loads... Can someone help me?

cestislife
    cestislife

Resident Fuzzball

• Sectional Moderator
  • 6582 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 01:08 AM

View Postnuwemux, on 28 December 2012 - 10:54 PM, said:

I keep getting the black screen after it loads... Can someone help me?

Deleted the META-INF file before you copied everything over? This is a very fail-proof installation.

Posted Image

Calderonus_Amara

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:23 AM

I've been having trouble installing Forge since 1.4.5. I'm not new to playing with mods so yes, I do know how to install Forge, but lately I always get the same crash: When I install Forge (exactly as you describe) and want to run MC with Forge for the first time, I get the "FML is setting up your Minecraft environment" popup which loads for ages and then gives me the following crash:
Spoiler:
What am I doing wrong? And please do not ask me whether I deleted META-INF, I may be blonde but I'm not that stupid...

cestislife
    cestislife

Resident Fuzzball

• Sectional Moderator
  • 6582 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:00 AM

2013-01-06 10:22:24 [INFO] [STDERR] Caused by: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com/google/common/collect/Multimap

Apparently you've some missing classes. Are you installing from a fresh minecraft.jar? You have sucessfully loaded the Forge classes, so it cannot be those.

Posted Image

Trainguyrom
  • Minecraft: Trainguyrom

Posted 12 January 2013 - 03:46 AM

I've got a quick question I've heard that between 1.4.6 and 1.4.7 one base class changed, yet Forge updated to 1.4.7 I've heard mixed responses to this question: Will a Forge mod need to be updated to 1.4.7 to function properly due to a quirk in the Forge code, is it mod-specific, or does it not matter at all?

I know that for most updates all mods need to update as well, but I remember this question coming up in 1.2 when one of the bug fix updates was barely more than a hot-fix (the specific version number escapes me, at the moment.) and many mods required no updating.

Thank you in advance
Head over to my website at RyanPro.net!
Check out my
YouTube channel!

cestislife
    cestislife

Resident Fuzzball

• Sectional Moderator
  • 6582 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:30 AM

View PostTrainguyrom, on 12 January 2013 - 03:46 AM, said:

I've got a quick question I've heard that between 1.4.6 and 1.4.7 one base class changed, yet Forge updated to 1.4.7 I've heard mixed responses to this question: Will a Forge mod need to be updated to 1.4.7 to function properly due to a quirk in the Forge code, is it mod-specific, or does it not matter at all?

I know that for most updates all mods need to update as well, but I remember this question coming up in 1.2 when one of the bug fix updates was barely more than a hot-fix (the specific version number escapes me, at the moment.) and many mods required no updating.

Thank you in advance

In theory, if it works on 1.4.7, then you shouldn't worry about that. Forge updates for every small release, regardless of how small the change is. It is typically recommended that you update forge, though not necessarily for these types of cases.

Posted Image

sklove96
    sklove96

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:53 AM

hi >.> i'm playing 1.4.7, recently i installed Forge to use the ShowMonster Mod to play in a SMP sever, everything seems fine until i connect the sever, i press F3+N *activate button for the mod* but nothing happen

somnomania

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:07 AM

Hopefully someone can help me with this, I'm super frustrated by now. /)_(\ I'm trying to get Forge installed so I can hopefully have a couple of other mods that I really want. Nothing was working, and a friend offered to try installing them on her Minecraft to see if she also had problems. She's on a Windows system, and successfully got Forge, SPC, and ExtraBiomesXL working, with the game launching properly and everything. I'm on a Mac, and while the game is now giving me the FML popup, and it goes through the various things FML is doing, the progress bar never changes from 0%, and when the popup disappears I go to a black game screen that never goes anywhere else. What the EFF is the problem? I've tried all the installation methods; MCPatcher, manual install, MultiMC, Magic Launcher, and I get the same thing every time, except that a manual install leaves me at 90% done loading in the game with no FML popup ever.

cestislife
    cestislife

Resident Fuzzball

• Sectional Moderator
  • 6582 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:06 AM

View Postsklove96, on 15 January 2013 - 02:53 AM, said:

hi >.> i'm playing 1.4.7, recently i installed Forge to use the ShowMonster Mod to play in a SMP sever, everything seems fine until i connect the sever, i press F3+N *activate button for the mod* but nothing happen

This is most likely a failed installation of the mod. Are you sure you've installed it correctly? It may be that the SMP server requires itself to install the mod for it to work.

View Postsomnomania, on 16 January 2013 - 12:07 AM, said:

Hopefully someone can help me with this, I'm super frustrated by now. /)_(\ I'm trying to get Forge installed so I can hopefully have a couple of other mods that I really want. Nothing was working, and a friend offered to try installing them on her Minecraft to see if she also had problems. She's on a Windows system, and successfully got Forge, SPC, and ExtraBiomesXL working, with the game launching properly and everything. I'm on a Mac, and while the game is now giving me the FML popup, and it goes through the various things FML is doing, the progress bar never changes from 0%, and when the popup disappears I go to a black game screen that never goes anywhere else. What the EFF is the problem? I've tried all the installation methods; MCPatcher, manual install, MultiMC, Magic Launcher, and I get the same thing every time, except that a manual install leaves me at 90% done loading in the game with no FML popup ever.

If Minecraft starts up fine when not modded, then it might be that Forge cannot make contact with the servers to download the libraries required for it to run. Is there a "lib" folder in your .minecraft folder?

Posted Image

Bonez305
    Bonez305

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 14 posts
  • Minecraft: Bonez305
  • Xbox:Bonez1984

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:41 PM

Delete post, wrong place

opinthedour

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:21 PM

So, say i have rei's minimap install (which came with forge), how would i go about installing optifine. I tried installing it how you would normally, by copy/pasting its content into the minecraft.jar, but there wasnt a META-INF for me to delete (probly due to install rei's with forge i suppose). this didnt work though. Minecraft crashed everytime i tried to go into a world, singleplayer or multiplayer, so if you could help me that would be awesome.

cestislife
    cestislife

Resident Fuzzball

• Sectional Moderator
  • 6582 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:12 PM

View Postopinthedour, on 20 January 2013 - 04:21 PM, said:

So, say i have rei's minimap install (which came with forge), how would i go about installing optifine. I tried installing it how you would normally, by copy/pasting its content into the minecraft.jar, but there wasnt a META-INF for me to delete (probly due to install rei's with forge i suppose). this didnt work though. Minecraft crashed everytime i tried to go into a world, singleplayer or multiplayer, so if you could help me that would be awesome.

Install Forge in minecraft.jar, then install Optifine in the minecraft.jar. You put Rei's Minimap in the mods folder.

P.S. Rei's Minimap is not bundled with Forge.

Posted Image

patrick3483
  • Minecraft: patrick3483

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:12 AM

THANK YOU!Posted Image

TheSaintLeaf

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:49 PM

I never delete the META-INF folder because it still has the Forge files in them. The Forge homepage install says only to delete the files in META-INF folder what start only with MOJANG_

rickyruiz_7311

Posted 27 January 2013 - 04:05 PM

Im having a problem as well here is the error code

Spoiler: