• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

How do I download all the Minecraft files?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

ArarielFett
    ArarielFett

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1044 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 05:25 AM

I managed to snag a minecraft card from my local store, and have just redeemed it & downloaded the game.  I was surprised that it wasn't even a download, just a save to my desktop.  I was expecting minecraft folders, files, etc.   I'm guessing I did something wrong?  How do I install, the full MC?

Register or log in to remove.

Hidinginthelight

Posted 26 November 2012 - 05:27 AM

When you run the minecraft.exe it put's all the files in the roaming folder.

You can find that folder by hitting start, then typing %appdata% into the search box.
With the % signs.

The folder is called .minecarft

but it sounds like you did everything correct. Minecraft isn't a large program, it's done downloading very quickly.

ArarielFett
    ArarielFett

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1044 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 05:41 AM

View PostHidinginthelight, on 26 November 2012 - 05:27 AM, said:

When you run the minecraft.exe it put's all the files in the roaming folder.

You can find that folder by hitting start, then typing %appdata% into the search box.
With the % signs.

The folder is called .minecarft

but it sounds like you did everything correct. Minecraft isn't a large program, it's done downloading very quickly.

Thank you, I found it.  One last question, I found a player skin I want to donwload, where would I download it to for it to be active as my character skin?  (in case you were wondering, this is what I wanted - http://minecraft.nov...17415/star-wars )

Hidinginthelight

Posted 26 November 2012 - 05:47 AM

You actually have to upload it into your minecraft account. I never cared enough to give myself a skin.. so I'm not sure.. Let me see if I can find it quick.

Found it very quickly.

You need to upload it on your profile page.
http://minecraft.net/profile

ArarielFett
    ArarielFett

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1044 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 05:48 AM

View PostHidinginthelight, on 26 November 2012 - 05:47 AM, said:

You actually have to upload it into your minecraft account. I never cared enough to give myself a skin.. so I'm not sure.. Let me see if I can find it quick.

Upload what, the actual image of the skin, or do you have to upload something else?

Hidinginthelight

Posted 26 November 2012 - 05:56 AM

Yeah, on the page you linked, there is a button at the bottom that says 'Download this skin to your computer'

So you save it to your computer, then upload it to the page I linked. (after you have logged into your account)

I wouldn't use the feature on the site you linked to upload it automatically. It's probably legit, but it's never a good idea to enter your login info on an untrusted site.

I double checked it, and it seems good, it just redirects you to the minecraft site, with the skin selected.

ArarielFett
    ArarielFett

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1044 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 05:58 AM

Thank you again, good sir.

My final question (hopefully), how do I add texture packs?  I have the texture pack downloaded, but when I click "open texture pack folder", I'm stumped.  I tried dragging the folder onto where it says "place folder here", but that didn't work.

Hidinginthelight

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:04 AM

Ok, as long as the texture pack is 32x or less you can just put it into the texturepack folder.
\.minecraft\texturepacks\

If it greater then 32x you need to add a mod that allows for HD texture packs.
Optifine is the better of the 2 that allow for that to work. There are many videos on youtube that explain how to install optifine. and I'd recommend looking those up, as they'll do a much better job explaining it then I will.

There are also advanced launchers, that make installing mods easier, like MultiMC. It's the only launcher I use, I don't even have the regular one on my computer.
There are a couple videos in that launchers thread that explain how to use it, if you'd like to check it out.

ArarielFett
    ArarielFett

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1044 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:12 AM

What is the easiest route to get to the Mindcraft folders?  I tried downloading the pack, but I couldn't find the folders.  I did a search, but it took too long.  Do I go through program files?

Hidinginthelight

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:28 AM

View PostHidinginthelight, on 26 November 2012 - 05:27 AM, said:

With the % signs.

ArarielFett
    ArarielFett

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1044 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:29 AM

Ok, so I figured out where the actual folders are.  However, when I try to save the texture pack, the folders won't show.

Is it because the texture pack is still zipped?  Do I need winzip to be able to get it?

ArarielFett
    ArarielFett

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1044 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:37 AM

I've come to the conclusion that the entire Minecraft folders didn' download properly, or something is buggy.  When I click "open texture pack folder", I see this:
Posted Image
However, if I try to save the texture pack, or just open the folder to look for Minecraft, I cannot find AppData, Roaming, or Minecraft.
Posted Image
Am I just missing something?  Or what is going on?

Hidinginthelight

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:17 AM

Windows hides the roaming folder by default.

By doing the %appdata% search it bypasses the folder being hidden.

You can unhide the the folder permantly by going into:
Control panel > Folder options
Then selecting the View Tab.
Tell it to show hidden folders
Tell it not to hide known extension types will also come in handy

Posted Image

ArarielFett
    ArarielFett

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1044 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:42 AM

Wow, I'm loving this.  Thanks so much.

One other thing, I tried to change the color of my skin a bit, but am having troubles.  Is there a section on here with people who make or edit skins?

Hidinginthelight

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:46 AM

http://www.minecraft...forum/15-skins/

ArarielFett
    ArarielFett

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1044 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:50 AM

Thanks for all your help, Hidinginthelight.H

Have a good morning/day.