Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

18th Century Frigate Recreation

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

MrBeasty127
  • Minecraft: MrBeasty127

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:09 AM

18th Century Frigate:Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePlease leave a comment and your opinion on this ship recreation. Thank you.
Posted Image

Register or log in to remove.

Koumus
    Koumus

Pipsqueak Admin

• Forum Admin
  • 1162 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 05:02 AM

It looks perfect! How long did it take you to build it?

Posted Image

Forum Admin of the Show Your Creation and Off-Topic sections

Roska
    Roska

Iron Miner

• Members
  • 292 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 05:36 AM

Quite nice looking boat you've got there!

CaptainGloom

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:11 AM

Perhaps, instead of saying "Epic Ship! - 18th Century Frigate" you could instead say who the frigate belongs to, how many guns, and time instead? "Epic" doesn't work if you've barely described the work. Who does it belong to? The Americans? How many guns? Are those gun ports or windows in the stern? What time exactly? The 1700s had a great many changes in shipbuilding.
Other then that, it's a pretty good ship, although I think the middle bulges a bit too much, but I may be wrong, depending on the time and maker. And perhaps add some more rope? Those jibs and courses wouldn't be held back like that if there is no rope.

Discipline, Pride, and Courage. A dangerous combination.

MrBeasty127

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:32 AM

View PostCaptainGloom, on 26 November 2012 - 06:11 AM, said:

Perhaps, instead of saying "Epic Ship! - 18th Century Frigate" you could instead say who the frigate belongs to, how many guns, and time instead? "Epic" doesn't work if you've barely described the work. Who does it belong to? The Americans? How many guns? Are those gun ports or windows in the stern? What time exactly? The 1700s had a great many changes in shipbuilding.
Other then that, it's a pretty good ship, although I think the middle bulges a bit too much, but I may be wrong, depending on the time and maker. And perhaps add some more rope? Those jibs and courses wouldn't be held back like that if there is no rope.
I named the title 'Epic Ship' to attract people to the post because sometimes I'm disappointed with the amount of comments. I made the frigate a little rounder and fatter than the actual plan to make it look more attractive and a little more creative in minecraft.  About the ropes, I feel I may add more, however, sometimes adding loads of rope can make it look to obsessive and basically worse overall. Sometimes being creative over what's realistic in certain areas can look better, as my primary goal is looks, not realism. Not sure what to name her yet as she is an imaginary ship roughly based off HMS Surprise and various other frigates of the 18th century. Thanks for the comment and please subscribe to my YouTube channel if you would like to see further projects/builds.

View PostRoska, on 26 November 2012 - 05:36 AM, said:

Quite nice looking boat you've got there!
Thanks for your comment.

View PostKoumus, on 26 November 2012 - 05:02 AM, said:

It looks perfect! How long did it take you to build it?
Nothings perfect, even when it takes you 20hrs. Thanks for your comment.
Posted Image

CaptainGloom

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:56 AM

View PostMrBeasty127, on 26 November 2012 - 09:32 AM, said:

I named the title 'Epic Ship' to attract people to the post because sometimes I'm disappointed with the amount of comments. I made the frigate a little rounder and fatter than the actual plan to make it look more attractive and a little more creative in minecraft.  About the ropes, I feel I may add more, however, sometimes adding loads of rope can make it look to obsessive and basically worse overall. Sometimes being creative over what's realistic in certain areas can look better, as my primary goal is looks, not realism. Not sure what to name her yet as she is an imaginary ship roughly based off HMS Surprise and various other frigates of the 18th century. Thanks for the comment and please subscribe to my YouTube channel if you would like to see further projects/builds.

Thanks for your comment.

Nothings perfect, even when it takes you 20hrs. Thanks for your comment.
If your goal is looks, I suggest decreasing the width and at least adding ropes holding the courses (bottom sails on each mast) because it looks like either they're held by a magic force or like if you press the 'play' button they would just flap up like a banner.
Also, if your goal is looks, then you should try making realistic gun ports like my own instead of your normal TNT cannons, because looks and TNT don't mix.

And is it an American ship? How many guns? And can we get some interior shots? Even a couple deck shots? And I am sure that if you looked on my own and the other big shipbuilder threads you would see it is possible to make ships with a lot of realism that look good, or you can see my Providence, an example of mixing standard designs and a personal flare.

MrBeasty127

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:32 PM

View PostCaptainGloom, on 26 November 2012 - 10:56 AM, said:

If your goal is looks, I suggest decreasing the width and at least adding ropes holding the courses (bottom sails on each mast) because it looks like either they're held by a magic force or like if you press the 'play' button they would just flap up like a banner.
Also, if your goal is looks, then you should try making realistic gun ports like my own instead of your normal TNT cannons, because looks and TNT don't mix.

And is it an American ship? How many guns? And can we get some interior shots? Even a couple deck shots? And I am sure that if you looked on my own and the other big shipbuilder threads you would see it is possible to make ships with a lot of realism that look good, or you can see my Providence, an example of mixing standard designs and a personal flare.
This is Minecraft, not real life. Why would I not include Minecraft TNT cannons? It's one of the main goals, to recreate the fire-power and the looks of the ship. Not adding TNT cannons would be madness, as the whole ship is built around them if you look closely to the design of the body of the ship. Redstone is also a enjoyment of mine, so why wouldn't I combine both my skills together? TNT cannons may not look like real life cannons, but they are the closest thing to real life cannons in Minecraft. Obviously you have not seen them fire, they're incredible.
As for the width, it's fine. Yes it is a round shaped frigate, but that's my personal design preference that I chosen for the ship which is completely fine as I've said.
More detailed ropes I will add, as well as detail internal and external.
I've named her HMS Swift - 32 Gun Frigate
Posted Image

CaptainGloom

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:58 PM

View PostMrBeasty127, on 26 November 2012 - 02:32 PM, said:

This is Minecraft, not real life. Why would I not include Minecraft TNT cannons? It's one of the main goals, to recreate the fire-power and the looks of the ship. Not adding TNT cannons would be madness, as the whole ship is built around them if you look closely to the design of the body of the ship. Redstone is also a enjoyment of mine, so why wouldn't I combine both my skills together? TNT cannons may not look like real life cannons, but they are the closest thing to real life cannons in Minecraft. Obviously you have not seen them fire, they're incredible.
As for the width, it's fine. Yes it is a round shaped frigate, but that's my personal design preference that I chosen for the ship which is completely fine as I've said.
More detailed ropes I will add, as well as detail internal and external.
I've named her HMS Swift - 32 Gun Frigate
Yes, I've seen some of the best TNT cannons, although they hardly compare to 6-block long cannon plugin Long Nines. That plugin's cannons are excellent, I suggest using the plugin for cannon battles.
And perhaps changing the title for HMS Swift - 32 Gun Frigate would be in order? ;)

ConfuseACat
  • Minecraft: ConfuseACat

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:32 PM

I would hardly call leaving out TNT cannons madness! I do it, because I go for looks and accuracy. TNT cannons are just too damn big, I'd rather have something that *looks* more like a real cannon. Besides, what 18th century naval gun ever hurled a cubic metre of high explosive at the enemy? :P

Anyway, like I said in the other thread, the ship's looking nice. Classy and elegant.
Posted Image

MrBeasty127

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:24 PM

View PostCaptainGloom, on 26 November 2012 - 03:58 PM, said:

Yes, I've seen some of the best TNT cannons, although they hardly compare to 6-block long cannon plugin Long Nines. That plugin's cannons are excellent, I suggest using the plugin for cannon battles.
And perhaps changing the title for HMS Swift - 32 Gun Frigate would be in order? Posted Image
Using plugins is cheating, I want to recreate in Minecraft without mods/plugins. What's wrong with the current title?

View PostConfuseACat, on 26 November 2012 - 08:32 PM, said:

I would hardly call leaving out TNT cannons madness! I do it, because I go for looks and accuracy. TNT cannons are just too damn big, I'd rather have something that *looks* more like a real cannon. Besides, what 18th century naval gun ever hurled a cubic metre of high explosive at the enemy? Posted Image

Anyway, like I said in the other thread, the ship's looking nice. Classy and elegant.
One of the ship's most important parts are the TNT cannons I designed. The ship is actually built around them if you look carefully at the design of the body. I'm not cutting them, because I like them, as well as many of my subscribers on YouTube.
Posted Image

CaptainGloom

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:06 AM

View PostMrBeasty127, on 26 November 2012 - 11:24 PM, said:

Using plugins is cheating, I want to recreate in Minecraft without mods/plugins. What's wrong with the current title?

One of the ship's most important parts are the TNT cannons I designed. The ship is actually built around them if you look carefully at the design of the body. I'm not cutting them, because I like them, as well as many of my subscribers on YouTube.
If the ship is built around huge, blocky, 1mx1mx1m block-hurling machinations, how is it a recreation? No offense intended, it just seems a wee bit silly.
I don't think using plugins is cheating, the cannon plugin is highly realistic Posted Image Posted Image

CherryValley
  • Minecraft: CherryValley2012

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:26 AM

...I like everything about the ship :)
Posted Image

baneofbaalzamon

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:43 AM

Its nice. Like gloom says, often adding color and personal flair can make a ship stand out. I like baby blue sides on ships, though if not in the right context they can look terrible. The TNT cannons are a nice touch, but I don't think they add to the aesthetic look of the ship, in fact I think they take away. I would have to agree with gloom on the fact that you cannot call this a recreation of a frigate if its not even built around the same bodywork. If you based it around a frigate, then call it an adaptation.

At the same time, the masts need more rigging. If a ship had thick sails and thin masts, rigging was required in larger amounts to keep the mast from toppling at the merest breath of a storm. Just stating the obvious

ConfuseACat
  • Minecraft: ConfuseACat

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:45 AM

View PostMrBeasty127, on 26 November 2012 - 11:24 PM, said:

I wasn't trying to tell you to. I was just saying that it's not madness to ignore them. They're part of your shipbuilding style. Myself, the only time I could possibly see myself doing one would be as the mortar on a bomb ketch, and even then I probably wouldn't.

Different builders having a different style is a good thing. :)
Posted Image

MrBeasty127

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:29 AM

View PostConfuseACat, on 27 November 2012 - 06:45 AM, said:

I wasn't trying to tell you to. I was just saying that it's not madness to ignore them. They're part of your shipbuilding style. Myself, the only time I could possibly see myself doing one would be as the mortar on a bomb ketch, and even then I probably wouldn't.

Different builders having a different style is a good thing. Posted Image
Yeah I agree with you there.
Posted Image

MrBeasty127

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:47 AM

View Postbaneofbaalzamon, on 27 November 2012 - 06:43 AM, said:

Its nice. Like gloom says, often adding color and personal flair can make a ship stand out. I like baby blue sides on ships, though if not in the right context they can look terrible. The TNT cannons are a nice touch, but I don't think they add to the aesthetic look of the ship, in fact I think they take away. I would have to agree with gloom on the fact that you cannot call this a recreation of a frigate if its not even built around the same bodywork. If you based it around a frigate, then call it an adaptation.

At the same time, the masts need more rigging. If a ship had thick sails and thin masts, rigging was required in larger amounts to keep the mast from toppling at the merest breath of a storm. Just stating the obvious
The TNT cannons for me are very important. Yes they make the cannon ports large, but they add so much more. Having TNT cannons is the best way to recreate the ships fire-power as well as making it awesome. Many of my subscribers like them, one of my subscribes commented that they were a major boost in my ship's awesomeness.
As for the colour scheme and final details like rigging. I will check over everything and try to chose the prefect colours and look.
Thanks for your comment and if you what to check out the cannons, I suggest you look on my channel.

View PostCherryValley, on 27 November 2012 - 06:26 AM, said:

...I like everything about the ship Posted Image
Thank you for your comment. :)
Posted Image

MrBeasty127

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:33 AM

Tell me what you think of the new pictures guys. Thanks.
Posted Image

CaptainGloom

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:44 AM

It's looking much better, the ropes make it feel much more connected, but it looks like the fore and maincourses are still flapping around.

MrBeasty127

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:51 AM

View PostCaptainGloom, on 28 November 2012 - 08:44 AM, said:

It's looking much better, the ropes make it feel much more connected, but it looks like the fore and maincourses are still flapping around.
Okay I'll work on the final improves towards the fore and course sails to make them look more realistic. What do you think of the new creative colour scheme?
Posted Image

CaptainGloom

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:08 AM

View PostMrBeasty127, on 28 November 2012 - 08:51 AM, said:

Okay I'll work on the final improves towards the fore and course sails to make them look more realistic. What do you think of the new creative colour scheme?
It's colorful, but it doesn't fit with any of the navies at the time. But I suppose that's because this is your own ship, just as the Providence and the Providence I have planned are my ships.