• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

[Guide] Caving in Minecraft

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

shadow wolf

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:24 AM

Just a bit of an add on to my previous posts could you plz add some pictures of caving because honestly i dont have a great idea of what it is but im sure there are others like me that dont realy understand it properly because i dont remember reading about you explaining what it is. But again like i said in my previous post it was SOOOO helpful! Because there are some things i NEVER thought of bringing mining with me and THANKS FOR THE AWESOME GUIDE! All of the guides of yours i have read have been EXTREMLY useful!

And again THANKS FOR THE AWESOME GUIDE!!!!!

Register or log in to remove.

FeatherGuy

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:07 AM

Nice guide you have there, and well done!

But... I would also like to point out that since it is a guide, and guides are usually made for beginners in Minecraft, why do you suggest having enchanted diamond swords and pickaxes and bows and tons of potions and arrows in your inventory? I remember when I was a noob all I have when I go caving are a few raw wood, 2 stone and 1 iron pickaxe, a stack of torches, a stone sword and 10 porkchops! Whenever I go caving, I always keep inventory to the minimum, because I always mine every ore I see. (I'm a hoarder)

Even now when I'm mining I only bring along a couple of fire resistance potions and my trusty bow, and a few stone pickaxes and a iron one. I almost never use diamond for mining except for obsidian; they are a waste of rare resources when you can use stone or iron! I don't like wasting resources to the extent that I only use iron pickaxes for ores that only can be mined with iron pickaxe or better.

But still, good guide anyway! =)

shadow wolf

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:39 AM

View PostFeatherGuy, on 10 January 2013 - 09:07 AM, said:

Nice guide you have there, and well done!

But... I would also like to point out that since it is a guide, and guides are usually made for beginners in Minecraft, why do you suggest having enchanted diamond swords and pickaxes and bows and tons of potions and arrows in your inventory? I remember when I was a noob all I have when I go caving are a few raw wood, 2 stone and 1 iron pickaxe, a stack of torches, a stone sword and 10 porkchops! Whenever I go caving, I always keep inventory to the minimum, because I always mine every ore I see. (I'm a hoarder)

Even now when I'm mining I only bring along a couple of fire resistance potions and my trusty bow, and a few stone pickaxes and a iron one. I almost never use diamond for mining except for obsidian; they are a waste of rare resources when you can use stone or iron! I don't like wasting resources to the extent that I only use iron pickaxes for ores that only can be mined with iron pickaxe or better.

But still, good guide anyway! =)
BTW Feather Guy some people take different things when going caving because the things you take are the things you think you will need or want where as others may take diamond tools with them because of many reasons. So im not saying your opinions wrong or anything its just what Issac thinks that people should take hes not saying that you must take all of these things because you cant go caving without them hes only saying what may be useful and what he take on caving trips.

P.S. Not all guides are for beginners some may be for people whom love minecraft and so forth.

Shadow Wolf

Item289
    Item289

Stone Miner

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:55 AM

Great guide!

Ickabodx
    Ickabodx

Void Walker

• Members
  • 1701 posts
  • Minecraft: Ickabodx

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:59 AM

One tip not in the guide...

Always explore and light up cave openings that are above you first.  For example you're going down a passage way and it splits into three directions, one direction heads down, one heads straight, and one heads up.  Always explore the one that goes up first.  Exploring upper passages will keep you safe from Creepers landing on your head unexpectedly.  Plus mobs have an easier time going down rather than moving up.

Exploring upwards is a little more dangerous initially, but it makes life easier after all upper portions have been cleared of mobs.
Hardcore Season 3 has just started, come see it from the beginning
Season 2 Forum Topic Link --->  http://www.minecraft.../topic/2254894/
Twitch Broadcast ---------->  http://www.twitch.tv/ickabodx

will309
    will309

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 05:08 AM

I find to be very usefull but still this guide is just one of many you should just do what ever you want because this is a fun game were you chose to do what you want  I not saying that this is bad guide I bevelie you should get to the core of minecraft that it is your game

deathtothevoice
  • Minecraft: yautl

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:52 PM

I DID find a stronghold mining underground without eyes of ender. My little brother and I were exploring a cave that I had found, and I had the obsidian for a portal when I found a burning underground library next to a lava pool. So yeah.

And one thing not in the guide- look up a lot. You never know when there's a cave opening above you, and a falling creeper is never nice.
"I'll explain, and I'll use small words so you can understand, you warthog-faced buffoon!"
-The Dread Pirate Roberts

Grave
    Grave

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 534 posts
  • Minecraft: Grave_Sorrow

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:38 PM

Placing torches on walls vs floors doesn't really make a difference. A combination of the two would be optimal because you can eliminate dark spots more easily than just one or the other. Wall placement can indicate direction of travel, so it's best out of the two regardless.

A more important fact that you don't list is light level; why care about how you place torches if stuff will still spawn? One torch at light level 1-3 will prevent any spawning between torches.

You also have inferior ways of dealing with lava.

-If you sink below the surface of lava, swim towards the wall near the opening; DO NOT PRESS FORWARD WITHOUT AIMING AT A WALL. This prevents you from getting trapped under obsidian.
-Don't mine blocks around lava with water flowing against them. This can push you into the lava, and turn the opening into obsidian.
-If you fall into lava do not panic. Keep your head above the surface with spacebar, and continually try to jump onto land (must be equal level to the lava surface).
-If you're kind of far away from the edge of lava, swim to the wall and aim your water bucket at it. This will turn the lava surface into obsidian and as long as your head is above the surface, you can jump out.

ALWAYS pour water and get in it (aim at feet or something) after going into lava. Fire will easily kill you otherwise.

The best way to avoid lava deaths is to be cautious. Listen for lava at all times, and never dig directly down if you hear it. Sometimes you don't even hear it, so try to avoid that if possible. If you're dumb, you will likely die, and deserve to because it'll make you learn the hard way.

A better way to deal with lava lakes is throwing gravel against a wall and elmininate source blocks. This gives you access to anything underneath without 45 minutes of mining for just a 10x6x3 area of obsidian to restrict any diamonds underneath (I prefer to branch mine for caves/shafts, lava is a common occurrence).

Posted Image

Posted Image

"Angels and demons were circling above me through the thorns to the stars
The only one who doesn't know happiness is the one who couldn't understand its call.."

irolldice

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:49 PM

i Clicked +1 just for this line

"it makes my rep-whoring self feel better about the time I put into these."

you're welcome :)
Posted Image

DSoloha
    DSoloha

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 501 posts
  • Minecraft: dsoloha12

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:12 PM

A good guide, although a few things were left out.
[Overused Signature Goes Here]

Jyric
    Jyric

Carpenter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  • Minecraft: Jyric
  • Xbox:TardisDent

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:30 PM

Really nice guide although to me it looked like overkill on the supplies, personally I tend to go light on what I bring. Usually 2 stacks of torches, a stone sword, half a stack of logs and an iron pick does it for me. Everything else I need I make on the go. I sometimes bring a water bucket but only if I'm farming obsidian. Otherwise I just build a path or mine round. Otherwise, great guide!
Posted Image

Andreas90s

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:25 PM

Good Guide, GG.
Also, the Food I disagree with, you would not need 3-4 stacks of Carrots, especially caving?

987Theawesome
  • Minecraft: 987Theawesome
  • Xbox:Dont has one :c

Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:13 PM

Dont mine through caves, Mine though strip mining.
Posted Image

shadow wolf

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:56 AM

View Post987Theawesome, on 12 January 2013 - 05:13 PM, said:

Dont mine through caves, Mine though strip mining.
To 987Theawesome
Realy there is no best way to mine its what you like and are good at so Issac was just making a guide about caving he never said anything about it being the best way to mine

Shadow Wolf

pikachudoodle152
  • Minecraft: tonymaqu

Posted 05 June 2013 - 04:24 AM

Awesome guide! Although I've played minecraft for a while now, I never knew that about strongholds. +1 for you!
Posted Image